PDA

View Full Version : best time for elk hunting(rifle)

sparky300winmag
06-22-2008, 10:40 AM
i was wondering what you thought the best time to go elk hunting.We go every year to the EK .We've been there opening day and we've gone the last week of Sept.We have had success 5 out of 7 years.Now last year we didn't get an elk and it was full moon,last week of sept.This year there is no full moon on the last week of Sept . I think the moon phases matter ,but do you think the rut just depends on the weather? Although our best year was a couple of years ago when we tagged (3)and it was up around 20 deg.

model88
06-22-2008, 12:24 PM
If I could answer that question, I would go buy a lottery ticket.....then I wouldnt have to go nightshift tonite...:biggrin::biggrin:

kootenayelkslayer
06-22-2008, 12:43 PM
If you've been successful 5 of 7 years, it sounds to me like your hitting the timing just right. If I could pick two weeks to hunt elk in the EK it would be the opening week (Sept.10) and the last week of September. And your absolutely right about trying to avoid full moon, especially when its clear out at night. I don't think weather matter too much, because they are going to rut no matter what. Having said that though, the combination of clear hot day and full moons at night seems to make the hunting really slow.
And as for the full moon thing, I'm not so sure the moon phases drive the rut, I've just found that with a full moon and clear skies that the elk are actively feeding and rutting all night long, so there is no need for them to be very active during the daylight hours. Thats my theory anyway.

BlacktailStalker
06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Last 2 weeks of Sept is what I prefer.
Maybe a few days earlier if its cooler than normal.
Yep clear nights often mean less game seen during the days but the rut comes down to one thing and one thing only, the cows and their estrous schedule.
If you're into cows, timing shouldnt matter because the bulls will be there before they come into heat (maybe not the big ones yet but the satellites will be there) while they're in heat and be searching for the few late cycling ones after the majority are done (2nd estrous, first week of October, often more exciting than the primary pre rut)

Oh man is it Sept 18 yet !?!?!?!??!?!

tufferthandug
06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
If you are sportin 5 outta 7, then maybe you should be telling us what the best two weeks are.

If I was to say though....

Earlier in September the better. What I've seen in past instances is that the big bulls have already picked up their little harem of broads by September 20th. From there they usually just lie around all day. Granted the satellite bulls (The 5 points everyone sees.) are still looking all over for the odd missed opportunity.

Hunt em closer to September tenth the better. Or truly monopolize and try to get the whole month off work.

sparky300winmag
06-22-2008, 06:22 PM
When i say WE ,there is 5 to 6 guys going and usually one of my group gets one.Unfortunately i have yet to get a Rocky Mountain Elk although i've gotten very close a few times.Hopefully this year.

Bruinhunter
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
That sounds great, but where did you go? I tried to tag one this year. Would you please give some information for elk hunting? I really appreciate it.

BCRiverBoater
06-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Up north I like mid September when in the mountains but when hunting closer to town I like October. It all depends on where I am going and how the weather is fairing.

hunter1947
06-23-2008, 04:34 AM
S3W ,it don't matter what the temp is ,there ,there and they are rutting .

Elk tend to not be as vocal when temperatures are on the hot side.

When you get close to a herd I have found that a lot of times in these hot conditions that bulls give chuckles rather then a bugle.

You can hear the cows at most times talking to one and the other with there cow chirping when you get close to the herd.

All elk will rut in hot conditions ,its triggered buy the amount of light left in the day time that triggers the rut.

A percentage of cows will go into estrus about the 15 of Sept for a couple days then there is a waiting period of about 18 to 21 days till the next cycle comes into estrus.

I have found over my years of hunting elk that the second rut is never as good as the pre rut.

The pre rut has always been the best for me I have found and that being around the 15 of Sept till the 27.

I have gotten to be old in the last few years ,I'm not the man I used to be and cant push as hard for elk as when I was in my 40ties ,but still see lots but not the one that has 6 to the one side.

I used to be 95% successful on my elk hunts over the years hunting them.
Its only been the last 6 years that I have not got an elk.

I still work hard for them and still find them ,but ever since the 6 point was implemented I have only taken 2 six point bulls.
If it were a five point season or better I would still be at the 95% success rate.

When the temp is hot at certain times in Sept you will not see the elk as much in places you usually see them .

In these conditions they tend on entering there bedding areas earlier in the morning and start moving latter in the evenings.

Elk will hold up in cool areas when it is hot out ,they like the north east slops to stay during hot days ,then move to there feeding areas just befor dark or after it is dark. Good luck to all elk hunters this year ,Wayne http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

BCHunterFSJ
06-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I find that here in the North Peace mid-Sept. is best... especially in the Peace River country. Further up North (e.g. Tushodi River) they tend to bugle quite a bit earlier.

Garret
06-23-2008, 10:28 PM
what I've found in regards to full moon is ya they come out and they are rutting on evenings that provide a full moon, but at 10 in the morning till noon they come back out to feed and is just as good as the evening hunt.

riflebuilder
06-24-2008, 05:46 AM
the best time for hunting elk here in the ek is when the bull (6 point) is standing in front of you.

Ltbullken
06-24-2008, 06:22 AM
...And as for the full moon thing, I'm not so sure the moon phases drive the rut, I've just found that with a full moon and clear skies that the elk are actively feeding and rutting all night long, so there is no need for them to be very active during the daylight hours. Thats my theory anyway.

Correct. Moon phase has nothing to do with the timing of the rut. It has to do with the frequency and availability of sunlight. As autumn comes on, the frequency band of available sunlight changes, which triggers hormonal changes in rutting animals... So a full moon with clear nights might influence night time behaviour, but not timing of the rut.

Has that for UFI?! :razz:

tuchodi
06-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Up on the Muskwa the best time is mid Sept until end of Oct. The big bulls dont really get active until Oct, thats when we see the real big 6 or 7 pointers but the river water is so low that it makes it impossible to navigate safely and a lot of damage occures to your boat. A real good friend of mine from the Tuchodi did his Theases on elk and determined that the rut is caused by the amount of light that hits the retina in the cows eyes. We always noticed that Mid Sept if the weather turned nasty with snow and clouds it started the rut faster but it all has to do with light. That is why the rut being consistent, time wise is important for calf birth the next spring in reasonable weather to insure not to many deaths.

06-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I agree with Hunter47, the rut is on just as hard when it's hot, the bulls are just not as active and don't bugle or move around as much. I don't think moon phases have much to do with it, the rut occurs pretty much the same time every year. In hot weather hunt high or in heavy timbered shady areas. I prefer the first two weeks of the rifle season, but anytime in September is pretty good. October is much tougher hunting as most of the cows are bred and the activity is much less. Many of the bulls will be holed up in heavy timber trying to recover from the rut and putting on a little fat for winter. I have more success using a cow call more and a bull bugle less. I mostly use the bugle for locating herds then work them with a cow call. Bulls in the EK have been bugled at a lot and many are reluctant to answer a bugle call these days. There's always exceptions to every rule however.