PDA

View Full Version : Shooting safely - what is behind your target?

reach
06-20-2008, 11:01 AM
I was watching an episode of Outdoor Quest on Wild TV where the host (T. J. Schwanky) was shooting mule deer does out of a farmer's field in Alberta. One of the shots you can clearly see a busy highway in the background, lots of cars going back and forth, and he shoots the deer anyway!

I'm still shaking my head. I thought you were supposed to be absolutely certain there was nothing in the line of fire before shooting (no shooting over ridge tops, across lakes etc.). But apparently that rule doesn't apply to people making TV shows?

Gateholio
06-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Schwanky posts on canadiangunnutz.com

You can ask him there.

I've never seen the show, so no comment...;)

mcrae
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Its possible the camera angle makes it appear worse than it is...

I have not seen the episode but sometimes the camera angle is diffrent than the hunters perspective...

Bow Walker
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
From what I've heard (and read) they (on the show) have been questionable in a few other things as well. Makes you wonder.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM
one of the worst shows on TV IMHO... I have expressed my concerns ...that episode and others to the Programming director of Wild (one of my best friends coincedently) .... they dont like it much eiethr but lack of CDn content otherwise means they make the cut to satisfy the CRTC

the thing with AB ...if you look in any direction there is always some sort of road or hwy not far off ie:within a mile ...not like here in BC where you got hills and mountains to protect you

boxhitch
06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Thats the thing about watching someone else...........

reach
06-20-2008, 10:28 PM
I suppose we should give them the benefit of the doubt, with the camera angle (though he was shooting a .30-06 at >100 yards, and other shots indicated the camera was only one round bale away) and the fact that the zoom lens might make the highway look closer than it is... but it definitely looked unsafe to me.

My point is, I hope everybody doesn't ignore the background when shooting... if you miss, your bullet can be dangerous for miles.

CanuckShooter
06-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I was watching an episode of Outdoor Quest on Wild TV where the host (T. J. Schwanky) was shooting mule deer does out of a farmer's field in Alberta. One of the shots you can clearly see a busy highway in the background, lots of cars going back and forth, and he shoots the deer anyway!

I'm still shaking my head. I thought you were supposed to be absolutely certain there was nothing in the line of fire before shooting (no shooting over ridge tops, across lakes etc.). But apparently that rule doesn't apply to people making TV shows?

That looked real bad.....

MDG3
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM

I thought I was the only one who saw and thought that was very bad/unsafe. :eek::mad::-(

You are absolutely correct :!::!: