PDA

View Full Version : Hunting gear RIP OFFS, and Luxury items!!??

BiG Boar
06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
There are tonnes of products out there and tonnes of gimmicks. I am a fairly new hunter and I figure that not all products are what they are cracked up to be...neccesary. So where to draw the line? Is it really about a name brand and all that? A pair of $150 dollar jeans and a pair of wranglers do the same thing, just one does it with "Style".

So which items do you think are a bit over rated and you dont really need the top end to get the same results. I for one am quite proud of my cheap ($40) tasco binos from walmart. I have good eyes and usually spot most of my game with just my eyes. On the other hand I was "Sold" a sako 300 wm with a swarovski scope, over kill? I think so. Would have got the same results with a Remington 700 and a Burris scope. I do love it and will have it for my lifetime, however I can't see spending $20,000 on other gear just for style and a tiny bit of extra luxury or comfort.

My two questions are:

What piece of equipment did you buy that you think you could have gotten away with something cheaper, and still done the job? Mine is my Sako 300.

What is one luxury item that you bought that you now wouldnt go back to a cheaper one, (basically, your favorite piece of great gear)? Mine is my Lariat F350

Recordram
06-19-2008, 09:18 AM
If you had bought the $150 dollar jeans for style you got ripped off. The only pair of jeans a real man should own, are Wranglers.
To answer your question I have to say most everything I buy I cherish. Even if it was a gift from some else. Some things we buy will help you out and make things more comfortable while you are out hunting or doing what ever, but quality gear does make a difference.

Bow Walker
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't have a lot of scratch so what I spend has to be the "biggest bang for the buck"...

That said, I will save for the wanted item(s) and get what I think I want/need to do the job. I do a bunch of research and comparing before taking the plunge. Afterwards I don't second guess myself - I remain satisfied that I did as best as I could, and am happy.

Gateholio
06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I'd much rather have good binoculars and boots and a beater truck than vice versa...

Steeleco
06-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I do a bunch of research and comparing before taking the plunge. Afterwards I don't second guess myself - I remain satisfied that I did as best as I could, and am happy.

Same here, I spent less money on lesser products when I was starting out, but as my experience level increases so have the demands on my stuff.

There are products I wish I could afford, but the ones I own do me well.

Sitkaspruce
06-19-2008, 10:33 AM
That said, I will save for the wanted item(s) and get what I think I want/need to do the job. I do a bunch of research and comparing before taking the plunge. Afterwards I don't second guess myself - I remain satisfied that I did as best as I could, and am happy.

It took me two years of research and looking before I pulled the trigger on my bino's. Same for my boots. I am frugal when I buy my outdoor gear, but I do buy the best I can afford.

My best is a Win Model 70 featherweight in 270. I bought it when I was 16 and put it away on Layaway so I could make payments. It originally came with a 4 power Banner scope. I still have it and it has taken most of my big game animals. The only change is I put on a B&L Elite 3000 scope and a Bell & Carlson stock to protect the great wood.

My worst is probably the many pairs of cheap, on sale, boots. It took me a few years to realize that good boots do cost more and are much better for my feet.

Just remeber that most things are designed to catch the hunter and have nothing to do with actual hunting. Follow the KISS method and you will not get sucked up into the gadget and gizmo hunting fraturnity.

SS

huntcoop
06-19-2008, 10:40 AM
....On the other hand I was "Sold" a sako 300 wm with a swarovski scope, over kill? I think so. Would have got the same results with a Remington 700 and a Burris scope.........

Don't be dissing the Remington 700, they are a great rifle.

BiG Boar
06-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Don't be dissing the Remington 700, they are a great rifle.

That is what I am saying. I was "sold" a sako, when a remington 700 or many other guns would have been able to do the same job.

Barracuda
06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
luepold VI are a ripoff

threedhunter
06-19-2008, 11:53 AM
every time i go into princess auto , i see the diamond knife sharpeners, sometimes on sale most times not.they really don't work real well.the lansky setup is worth the money.knives, weeelllllll, lets see , where do i start, ruko knives are great firewood choppers, bucks will cut nails(once),but for my money i love the older gerber with the antislip handles that were made in the us.kershaw blade traders from snapon work great, a complete set for the camper/trailer/bush kit.puma, yes , the older ones, have one my dad gave me, sharp as , well you can guess,needs a new sheath though,gonna make one soon.wyoming knives gut tool, great for what it is designed for, copies are a bit weak imo.binos, wish i could afford the swaros but will have to keep my legends for now.rifles?one that you are confident with, comfortable at shooting,e, no flinch/twitches.scopes, get the best that you can afford, the first time your scope fogs up as you are getting ready to make a shot on game, will probably be the last day it stays on your gun.just a little rant on gear from my personal experiences, threedhunter:smile:

Mr. Dean
06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
The worse "must have" hunting tool I bought...... was a quad. IMO a person is better served w/ a small 4x4 type vehicle. A really GOOD used one can be had for much cheaper than a new quad and'll do SO much more.

Since I repossessed the wife's Jeep 3 years ago, the quad has never been put to use for any hunting activities. It pretty much just takes up space.

Mr. Dean
06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Diamond sharpeners DO suck also. That Lansky system ROCKS!

BlacktailStalker
06-19-2008, 12:14 PM
That was an eyefull threedhunter.

I buy gear that most likely wont need to be replaced (yeah boots wear out, rain gear gets torn etc but some of these things last longer than others for a reason)
Never researched an item, took the plunge and regretted it, yet.
It's all about PK with a little bit of input, but take it with a grain of salt and decide for yourself in the end.
If you feel you could have done better, chances are yeah you could have and may likely regret it later.
The worst time to realize that is in the field in a time of need for something you could have had, but don't.

Just my way.

Gateholio
06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I've been sharpening knives in kitchens for years, and I use a diamond stone, and a little diamond steel in my pack. Way faster than regular stones.

Lansky systems are good, I think, but I've only used one once. I still do it old fashioned, but if you don't sharpen knives much, those systems are the way to go.

brian
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Not to derail the thread, but Gate what do you do for sharpening knives? I figure you must have it down to an art and I can still be a bit hit or miss when I'm doing it.

BiG Boar
06-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Ya gate, think you could post up a video on Youtube or something like that so we could see what you do? The whole thing seems simple, drag a rock across the edge of your knife. But I am guessing there is some technique to it.

bigwhiteys
06-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Like BTS I make sure when I buy gear that I am buying the "right" item for me and it's usually top tier stuff. Once I've decided on the item I'll shop around till I find the best price and on expensive gear it can often be $100+ in savings if you shop around. The last place I want any of my equipment to fail is in the field somewhere...

Carl

Gateholio
06-19-2008, 03:01 PM
I Googled this:

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/knife.htm

It's pretty much how I do it, but I only do the multi step different angle process on a really dull knife, mostly I can just touch up wiht a few pqasses and a steel.

Liek I say, the Lansky is probably easier. Easiest still are probably the electric ones that you just draw the knife through, although you can screw up a blad quick with one.

Fisher-Dude
06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
I buy the best/most expensive stuff I can, and I don't regret it. Examples:

Swaro spotter
Leica binos
Leupy scopes (next one will likely be Zeiss)
Sako and Husqvarna rifles
Premium Remington factory ammo
Danner boots

I won't scrimp on optics - the top end European stuff is miles ahead of the crap, and also many miles ahead of the "good" crap. My Euro-guns cost lots, and I think a few hundred bucks extra for a premium action like the AV Sako or the silky smooth Husky is money well spent when you need a second shot at that pissed off grizzly bear.

The money I regretted spending was what I wasted on crappy optics and crappy boots before I dummied up and bought the good stuff.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-19-2008, 04:00 PM
I for one am quite proud of my cheap ($40) tasco binos from walmart. I have good eyes and usually spot most of my game with just my eyes.

You're better off using just your eyes:-?.

I have a friend that has incredible natural eyesight. When I first started hunting with him we were glassing a distant hillside for bears and he told me that binoculars gave him a headache. He did have some crappy binos with him so I took a peek through them. No wonder he got headaches:-?.
I passed him my Zeiss binos and he nearly crapped his pants. He has finally seen the light.

Optics are one place that I won't cheap out. Buy the best you can afford even if you have to save for a couple of years or make payments. You won't regret it.

SSS

BCLongshot
06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Ya cheap binos suck !

Before I never had the money so I bought what I could and was happy at the time but now I'm not goin' back.

The only thing I buy at Walshmart is filters and oil.

Vansmasher
06-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Cheap binos do indeed suck!!

The quality of hunting and fishing gear that I purchase seems to get better the older I get.
For fly in hunts.....don't cheap out on boots.

Junorr500
06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Good boots are by far the #1 best invesment i ever made. Ive yet to get a good pair of bios but it is clear it should be highter on my priority list. My pack is the next thing i would say i dont regeret spending money on.

Bow Walker
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Ya cheap binos suck !

Before I never had the money so I bought what I could and was happy at the time but now I'm not goin' back.

The only thing I buy at Walshmart is filters and oil.

Cheap binos do indeed suck!!

The quality of hunting and fishing gear that I purchase seems to get better the older I get.
For fly in hunts.....don't cheap out on boots.

I've put up with el cheepo binos for far too long. When I finally took the plunge it was for a set of Vortex binos. Have yet to regret the decision in any way.

martyonthewater
06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
cannot overstate the benefits of good optics. if you have great eyesight today, low quality optics will help deteriorate it faster than you may care to think about. the difference is clear:p(sorry couldn't resist). I know if I could afford to be 'sold' your rifle scope combo BB, it wouldn't bother me a bit. enjoy it, it'll be there for a lifetime and still shoot great long after .

Barracuda
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Well I like good optics but i refuse to piss away money again on Leupold stuff just for a name. The saying "You get what you pay for " Is a great sales tool used to lure lazy minded or insecure people away from the money they make . If this saying were completly true then nobody would pay too much anything and the more money you spend on an item the better it will peform

Yes they do make good stuff but they also make ok stuff but they still have a hefty pricetag on them. Before being a Lemming folks should investigate optics a bit and not get sucked into hype , there are plenty of very good items in all fields that are well priced .

I guess what it boils down to is as long as your happy who cares but remember a fool and his money is soon parted and from a marketing standpoint the best fishing lure in the world catches the most fishermen.

ok shmit suit is on storm away LOL!!!

horshur
06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Well I like good optics but i refuse to piss away money again on Leupold stuff just for a name. The saying "You get what you pay for " Is a great sales tool used to lure lazy minded or insecure people away from the money they make . If this saying were completly true then nobody would pay too much anything and the more money you spend on an item the better it will peform

Yes they do make good stuff but they also make ok stuff but they still have a hefty pricetag on them. Before being a Lemming folks should investigate optics a bit and not get sucked into hype , there are plenty of very good items in all fields that are well priced .

I guess what it boils down to is as long as your happy who cares but remember a fool and his money is soon parted and from a marketing standpoint the best fishing lure in the world catches the most fishermen.

ok shmit suit is on storm away LOL!!!

just buy it used...picked up an m8 4x luepold for 95 bucks at gun show..a few marks better that way the kid will add to them anyhow...they still carry the guarantee...

There is somtimes good enough is all you can afford...most times it keeps it's word.

cheap bino's and cheap scopes just are never worth the hassle....
The first time I staired through swaro bino's I bough crapped myself...My bino's cost 600 bucks too but don't come close.

A good rifle is never a bad investement....a good one you will keep and hunt with for 40 years. The marks and wear will bring you a smile when your eyes are dim and your knees gone..and will be cherished as a gift to you grandchild.

boxhitch
06-19-2008, 09:08 PM
What piece of equipment did you buy that you think you could have gotten away with something cheaper?
Manfrotto tripod, Goretex shell, Leupold scopes, Barnes bullets, Custom-made caping knife,

Barracuda
06-19-2008, 09:22 PM
game skinner knives make gutting like unzipping a fur coat and the Ulu style blade is really nice to skin with

quadrakid
06-19-2008, 09:23 PM
as i,ve gotten older,kids gone and a few more dollars in the pocket i,ve upgraded lots of gear and probably spent a little extra on brand name stuff,zeiss scope,browning hydrofleece camo etc i think it,s all been money well spent,you get what you pay for.

Rust
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah I agree about the custom caping knives. I bought on for $120 and I really do not like it. I use my $30 Buck pocket knife way more. Also I wont buy another pair of Danners.

Meindles have been good to me and I am going to try the Lowa sheep hunters this summer.

I bought Leica Geovids this spring and really like them. Glad I spent the money on them.

boxhitch
06-19-2008, 09:39 PM
all been money well spent,you get what you pay for.Not always. Thats the point of this thread.

Browning Hydro-fleece is an example. It is a good compromise in some ways, and overpriced. Its not totally quiet, it carries a lot of water, goretex never breaths at the rate we prespire, its actually quite black looking in fading light. IMHO, others will differ.

mwj
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
bigbore14
i agree with horshur's statement, buy quality used equipment. you already have a good rifle /scope combo. $40 bino's won't cut it but used value? buy a set of used quality bino's from someone who is upgrading. i started out on a pretty thin budget and know what it's like.
personally for me boots are the biggest issue but then i hike an awefull lot so for you it could be different. good luck and happy hunting.

BigBanger
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
[If you had bought the $150 dollar jeans for style you got ripped off. The only pair of jeans a real man should own, are Wranglers.

This is a joke right?? I hope so , Man i have the wranglers for the bush but every day in the city ?? I think not . This is 2008 not 1988 bud .

Dave I wouldent change the truck but not to sure I needed the bigfoot camper to go with it .

Gateholio
06-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Like I said on another thread, on another forum..It's all about your priorities.

I use expensive binos, spotter, tripod, rifle, boots, clothes, scope, pack.

But I use a 56 year old GPS that works fine, and relatively cheap knives (even though I am a chef and knives used to be my livelihood) I use $$ kitchen knives, but in the field, I've never seen a $300 knife skin better than a $50 knife.

I also drive a 1995 truck with 220 000 kms that I paid cash for.

I don't have a big screen TV- (My TV is 1999 vintage, but it works) and I don't' go for all inclusive trips to Mexico.

Good optics are great.

Good bullets are great.

Good gor-tex with armpit vents are great (Cause even gor tex can't transfer moisture fast enough through when you are exerting yourself)

Good fleece is great. So is good wool.

Good boots can make the day or break it. I have a few different boots for various conditions, but make them appropriate (I'd never dream of going on a 2 week backcountry hunt wearing my snow boots,- but I wouldn't dream of a day trip in late November snow with my uninsulated hiking boots for instance)

If I had to point a finger at where to spend money, I'd say boots and binoculars. Even cheap scopes can (mostly) get the job done, as they are just aiming devices. And even cheap clothes (if picked appropriately) can get it done, and a cheap rifle like the Stevens 200 will bring home meat...

But binos help you find the game, and boots get you there...

Mik
06-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Q1; probably my spotting scope(Leupold Goldring), however, I do not regret it and one day i will go out on a sheep hunt where apparently excellent optics are required.

Q2; my Leica BRF binoculars.Love them.

After a while, one learns not to buy the "Cheap stuff" as it tends to break/fall apart or fail when you need it the most.

Fisher-Dude
06-20-2008, 07:35 AM
[If you had bought the $150 dollar jeans for style you got ripped off. The only pair of jeans a real man should own, are Wranglers.

This is a joke right?? I hope so , Man i have the wranglers for the bush but every day in the city ?? I think not . This is 2008 not 1988 bud .

You go boy! LMAO!

http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/img/man-likes-tight-jeans.jpg

ibehuntin
06-20-2008, 12:57 PM
FD that is the grossest pic I've ever seen. :frown: Say no to moose knuckle!!

Rust
06-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Brutal Pic man!!!!!!!

Another rip off I think is the Leupold RX-IV range finder.. Does not work near as good as they claim and has WAY WAY to many functions!

lunatic
06-22-2008, 07:12 AM
When I started hunting as a young kid obviously I bought what I could afford. Old 300 British for a rifle, cheap Bushnell binos, cheapo scope, etc. Got the job done.......but barely. I now luckily am able to buy whatever quality I want for my gear. The only holdback is sometimes having to "convince" the wife that it's needed. I now have Leica Geovids, a new Swarovski Z6 12 x 50 scope and quality rifles. In most cases you do indeed get what you pay for. There is absolutely no comparison when you switch to quality optics. Clothing is definately another item that cannot be cheaped out on. When you are elk hunting in late Sept and it is raining/snowing, wind blowing , etc. it sure is nice to be warm, dry, and looking at a trophy bull through binos that are not fogged up and knowing that you are able to make a clean kill as you can actually see the crosshairs clearly through a fog-free scope.

shotgunjohn
06-22-2008, 08:17 AM
IMO the scent shield clothing was a waste of money, crinkly noisy in cold weather and maybe o.k. for tree stand hunting but on the ground you still need to play the wind.

Good stuff?
Nosler partition bullets in premium factory ammo. Don't cheap out on the most important thing you are carrying. Nothing worse than wounding an animal because a cheap bullet broke up on its shoulder.
Bushnell elite rifle scopes. As someone who wears glasses and hunts on the west coast their anti fog stuff really works.

mcrae
06-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Most Useless gear for me...

The Outdoor Edge grizz pack... I hated the knives and the hard plastic sheath it all came in weighed more than the knives and was suppose to hang off my belt...Unless I was going to wear suspenders to support the weight I would have been walking around like a little gangsta with one hand holding up my pants....

I can usually find a use for equipment but with this set up I kept the saw and tossed the rest in the recycle bin...

My Luxury Item

Well I just bought it a couple days ago and its a Husqvarna 4100 Lightweight in 7x57. I will use this gun for the rest of my life and if they can't pry it from my hands to give to my son they are just going to have to bury it with me...Pending CFC approval of course LOL...

Wolfman
06-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't have a lot of scratch so what I spend has to be the "biggest bang for the buck"...

I agree with Bow Walker.

Research is the key - and asking around. It can save you a lot of headaches later.

Wolfman

BiG Boar
06-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice so far guys and keep it coming! I am hearing over and over that boots and binos are what to spend the money on. Then clothing is next.

I have to say that you dont always get what you pay for, as sometimes you can find it for 100$ cheaper at another store. I bought boots but I think I went totally the wrong way on them. Paid $120 for them and they are nice warm and commfy, however they are steeltoe boots. Thought they would be good for rough and tumble places. They are heavy. Water proof though. Good for around camp maybe? This is exactly why I need advice on what is a bad buy and what is a good one.

Fisher-Dude
06-25-2008, 09:14 AM
however they are steeltoe boots. Thought they would be good for rough and tumble places. They are heavy. Water proof though. Good for around camp maybe? This is exactly why I need advice on what is a bad buy and what is a good one.

Good for really cold feet on cold days!:shock:

Mr. Dean
06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
The best purchase a guy could buy is a membership for a gun club.
The $$$ does SO much more than just getting one Range Rights. Being able to shoot with near unlimited access is just a bonus.

Ciskman
06-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I think I could have done without my new truck. 07 F150. I wish I would have bought a beater for the backroads and a small car for running around town in.

As for getting away with something cheaper it would have to be my bow. Its a campion stratus that I bought for 300 bucks brand new. I love that bow and it kills the same as a 1000 bow would.

jrjonesy
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Boots and binos being covered off by everyone, my big thing is quiet, breathable rain gear. Nothing like being dry and comfortable out in the rain for a full day(or longer)... and nothing like being damp and uncomfortable out in the rain for a day. Lots of cheap stuff out there that doesn't do what it says it does. Pay the money and get the good stuff. Gortex is the best in my books.

Ron.C
06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
As far as luxury items go, I bought a new truck last year and I am sure I could buy lots of good hunting gear with the money I would have save by buying a used truck, but my wife wanted a new truck too.

I agree with above, boots, and optics are important. I can honestly say I would have considerable difficulty convincing my wife why I need some Zeiss bino's. Hell, after 7 years of going across the province and hunting deer/elk, I still have a hard time cinvincing her it is worth it! but thats another story. So for now, I will get by using my Bushnell legends. I did buy a pair of Solomon Backpacking boots a few weeks ago. Gortex lining, excellent support and fit. I have been putting 55+ pounds in my pack a couple times a week and hitting the hill and they are awesome. Lots of ankle support, not to warm and softer soles that other backpacking boots I looked at, making them quite quiet.

As for Rip offs or useless items, I have bought my share of crap over the years as I was getting started in various types of hunting, not because I was cheap, but because sometimes limited funds means substandard gear, and if that's all you can afford, that's what you get, like it or not. Some of the archery gear I used when I was starting out like cobra releases were crap but I didn't know any better at the time. To wrap it up for useless items for me was a bow sling. I had a similar one to the primos bow sling and found that the bow was always bouncing off my pack or slipping of my shoulder. They seems like a good idea, but didn't work well for me. I ended up giving it away.

Dillybar
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Best luxury item for me was a new larger wall tent. It is nice not to haul a trailer/camper set up. Nothing beats being able to dry the gear out and be sheltered from the elements.

Not to mention since I bought it the old man has decided to go hunting again with his two sons.

todbartell
06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Nothing I own I would class as a 'rip off'...certainly I have some expensive stuff that I do not "need" but it is nice to have such things. No point in listing the stuff, but let's just say if I only owned one rifle in 260 Remington (first centerfire I ever bought). I can only think of one situation Ive experienced hunting in the past five years where I would of been handicapped.

BCbillies
06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
It is probably safe to say that most of us started out with mid to low end gear and have improved our gear over the years. You can have success harvesting animals with most any gear but as you gain experience you'll discover that quality may make for a more enjoyable experience. In the end your body will be better off and you should increase your chances of seeing more game. If you take two equally experienced sheep hunters and give one a $70 bino and the other a $700 bino it will soon be apparent who is spotting most of the rams. Don't fall into the trap thinking you need all the high end gear before you set foot in bush. The quality of gear you need will also depend upon what your focus will be. For a backpack hunter who is 30 km from the truck you don't want your boots, pack, or tent failing midway into the trip. I have not regretted any purchase to date expecially when you've done the research. I look forward to the new Hilleberg tent and I.D. sleeping bag arriving soon! :grin:

SAVAGE300
06-26-2008, 07:01 PM
nothing worse than cold wet feet on a hunt, but I learned, got me a pair of prospecters 20 years ago, soles garranteed for life, their on thier second sole and are still going, I know they would not last 2 days on a sheep hunt but they have done the job for thr type of huning I do. binos, scopes and mounts come next right above that rifle and load you have always trusted and my gerber knife and stone, the rest of the stuff I found you have to play with. just remember-- its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

BiG Boar
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
one pair of tasco binos for sale. $25obo

dumprat
07-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Tasco might as well sell black painted toilet paper tubes. That is what you get regardless of what you pay.

mud-dog27
07-01-2008, 08:26 PM
being young and broke most of the time i buy what i can afford on most things, like others have said boots i spend more money on even shoes for that matter you get what ya pay for but when i think bout it most stuff i buy i dont think ive regret as i do my research and alot of lookin around before i buy, like GPS units more money means better maps and memory and knives ive got some cheapo knives that were dull since i bought them and expensive knives ive never had to sharpen....as for optics ive got a bushnell 3200(great scope IMO for the price bracket) mounted on an old savage308 and i like it it shoots straight and was handed down and honestly i dont need a gun that costs as much as my jeep that will go farther than any new truck out there...like someone already said a quad i nice but in most cases your better off buyin an old beater suzuki....lock it gear it lift it and it'll still fit on a small trailer and it carries a bigger load and if ya know how to drive it'll go everywhere that quad goes.....:biggrin:

any way thats my 2cents

07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Good quality optics are a must. If you see most of your game with the naked eye, then you have no idea of how much game you are not seeing! The Swarovski on your Sako is also excellent. The Sako...well, I guess it depends on how much you paid!

FlyingHigh
07-03-2008, 08:18 PM
i refuse to skimp on boots. i bought Danner, which hands dow are the best boots in the world.

then comes the tools to do the job. my gun was my grad gift, with a limit of 700 bucks. i got the best gun for the money, Remington 700 SPS DM in 7mm Rem Mag. i coughed up some of my money and put a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40mm scope on it. it'll drop any animal in north america without a second thought, and i'll carry it till i die.

next up comes camo, and i'm using Browning Gator Fleece. not totally water proof, but with the spray on waterproofing, it'll get the job done until i can get some Gator Fleece.

as for a vehicle, i'm using a 94 toyota 4x4 pickup with an extended cab. i'm not afraid to take it anywhere, and it has the dents and scrapes to prove it.

my knives, i'm using Buck knives. they're relatively cheap and have gutted numerous fish and a bunch of grouse. haven't tried them on big game yet, but i'm sure they'll do the job.

any other gear, i usually buy what i can afford.

steelheadSABO
07-03-2008, 09:41 PM
no super magnums for me i save up for years and search for good priced used gear and make do with hand me down guns and gear from generations before my newest gun is from the 70s and lots are from the 40s 50s era when i see all the fancy weatherby magnums and scopes in the store for thousands i pass them by and say wow look at that old 22 for 150 bucks if only i had enough money to buy that.my way is keep it simple :)because i think spending 1000s of $$ is a rippoff because you can do the same thing with a 3030 some binoculars and a 16 $ box of ammo

JeffR
07-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Biggest waste of money has definatley been many pairs of crap boots that were supposedly waterproof... saving up for a pair of meindl's now.

The best spend I made was ironically also one of the cheapest. A pair of army surplus wool pants. Renforced the butt with some cordura, and in spite of several pairs of more expensive pants over the years, those are the ones I keep using. Had them for about 12 years now.

peterrum3
07-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Good boots, good optics, army surplus wool pants and woolrich shirts, my rifle or bow, a small day pack and I am good to go, the rest are extras. oh i forgot, my 12 yr. old GMC 3/4T HD with a winch. Now I am good to go.