PDA

View Full Version : First Black Bear Falls.

pikey
06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Been a little busy and haven't been able to post pics but 02fish2day and I headed out to look for bears June 8th in the Nahatalatch area.
We headed quite a long way in, past the provincial park and then some, lots of sign but surprisingly went a while before seeing a bear.

We had just finished checking out a cut and jumped back into the truck, drove only a couple of hundred yards when he exploded out of the underbrush, ran in front of the truck, thought better of it and took off done a steep hill. He stopped at about 80 yards and just seemed content to lie down watching us, never seen that behaviour before.

Of course there was too much crap in the way for a shot, so I stayed in his sight on the road to keep him stationary and Matt headed down the road a little to flank him and try and get a shot.

A few minutes later I heard the Bang and Mr. Black bear didn't seem so comfortable lying down any more, he took off.....fast.

He turned broadside to me and was still running hard. He was heading into an area where I could get a clear shot from my vantage point and I placed the crosshairs behind his front leg and squeezed.....took one more step and fell over, less than 20 seconds between the shots and it was all over.

We both learnt that day why it is better to shoot an animal tha fell uphill from you rather than downhill, between the deadfalls and the steep loose slope it took about an hour and a half to get him to the road....a grand distance of under 100 yards. There was some colourful language.

The day was warming up some and we were a little concerned about the meat spoiling, 5 minutes down the road was this beautiful waterfall, it was at least 10 degrees cooler there and couldn't ask for a better place for a few pictures.

Thank you Mr. Black Bear.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/pikey6239/FirstBearJune8thNahatalatch.jpg

model88
06-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Congrats guys, nice bear.

BiG Boar
06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
that looks like a nice bear! Good work guys, I missed him when I was there this year, and though I am heading back there this weekend, hunting season is over for BB's. Good work!

Vansmasher
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
good story and pics.

stovepipes
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Good Job!
Nice background for the picture, I bet the water kept the celebratory beer cold.
Have seen some big bears past the lake and up the river.

Spuddge
06-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Nice bear guys, I've been up to that area a few times (I think that is called Grizzly falls, I could be wrong though). I was camping\hunting up there at the end of May with the family. I saw six bears in the couple of short trips I managed away from the camp, but couldn't get a shot at any of them. I saw a nice big one at the 39 km mark, lots of fresh green there and a ton of skunk cabbage, the brush was just too thick to go after him. Maybe I'll get one this fall!

Mr. Dean
06-18-2008, 04:21 PM
G E T I T E N T E R E D I N T O T H E C O N T E S T ! ! !

Mr. Dean
06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Cool pic's........

Wildman
06-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Great picture...

sneg
06-18-2008, 04:31 PM
congrats on hunting.good picture

pikey
06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks Guys....the road was called Grizzly road, so Grizzly Falls it must be.

Got some sausage and bear hams coming!

I think I'll enter them into the contest, good suggestion!

TIKA 300
06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks Guys....the road was called Grizzly road, so Grizzly Falls it must be.

Got some sausage and bear hams coming!

I think I'll enter them into the contest, good suggestion!

Nice looking bear:cool::cool:,again im JEALOUS congrats

YES sirs that is GRIZZLY FALLS,been back there many a time.
TK

Mr. Friendly
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
the good looking one? but it's dead! LOL!

what's it's measurements? it's a beaut!

hunter1947
06-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Nice going on getting your bear.
Lots of peperoni's and other numies to follow ,congrats to the two of you.

Doe Eyes
06-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Most definately Grizzly Falls...have a picture from every season.
Love it up there...