PDA

View Full Version : What BAIT should we use this year for hunting?

BiG Boar
06-18-2008, 08:40 AM
From what the below responce says, I am understanding that it is legal to bait certain animals. So I have gone through the reg's and looked for all sentances containing bait. Here they are:

Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals,
cultivated crops, restrained animal or any
manufactured product or material, that may
attract wildlife and includes plastic or other
imitation foods, but does not include a decoy
as described under these regulations.

IT IS UNLAWFUL to intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear) except when lawfully
engaged in hunting or trapping where
baiting is authorised.

bear may not be hunted by placing bait or by using a
dead animal or part of it as bait

to hunt migratory game birds within
400 m of any place where bait has been
deposited unless that place has been
free of bait for at least 7 days.

So that being said:

What bait will work for deer? Mule or whitetail any difference? Deer love sweet fruits like apples, crabapples and persimmons. Acorns, beechnuts, pecans and other hard mast are important fall and winter foods.

What do mountain goats like? a good choice is a few raisins or corn chips.

Will this make hunting wolves easier? Bring out the bait! Love to get a wolf one day!

I know we are not to discuss illegal topics in this forum, but if its legal its legal right? So my question to the forum is: What baits do you use for the animals that are legal?

Stephen MacIverSenior Wildlife Regulations OfficerFish and Wildlife BranchMinistry of Environment says this:

The use of bait to hunt bear and migratory birds in BC is prohibited. The use of bait to hunt other species is permitted. Following are portions of the wildlife act which apply to the baiting:
Definition:
" bait " means any thing, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy;
Offence — weapons
17 (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait , or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait ,
Offence — general
18 (1) A person commits an offence where he
c) hunts migratory game birds within 400 m of any place where bait has been deposited unless that place has been free of bait for a minimum period of 7 days,
As stated, natural food sources (native plants) are not considered bait, although food sources which could have been placed by a human (a carcass, grains, etc.) are considered bait. To determine if a wild animal has died of natural causes while another animal is feeding on the carcass is difficult to do, if there was a bullet or arrow head inside the animal the hunter would have little or no way of knowing. For this reason all dead wildlife, gut piles, etc are considered bait, and essentially, shooting a bear standing over the carcass of a dead animal is considered using bait (Conservation officers have went out with metal detectors to see if there is a bullet in the animal on the ground). Placing food of any kind, or using food placed by another, with the intention of attracting a bear or migratory birds to a specific place is considered baiting. Gut piles (even left behind by another hunter weeks ago), grains, banana peels, leftovers and chain saw oil would all be considered bait if they are used to attract a bear. The material does not have to be purposely placed to attract wildlife to be considered bait.
Hypothetical situation: Neighbour Joe takes his dog for a walk through the woods, half way through the trip he throws some dog chow on the ground for his dog to eat, but the dog is not hungry and leaves it. Hunter Tom comes through the woods two days later and spots a bear eating the dog chow on the ground, to shoot that bear would be considered shooting that bear over bait.
This is a part of the regulations which is very complicated. The ethics of the hunter and the discretion of the Conservation Officer plays a large role in the outcome of the situation. There have been cases where hunters have been charged and convicted of this offence, but often there is reasonable doubt as to the intentions of the parties involved. In order to be sure that you are not breaking the law, do not knowingly hunt bear or migratory birds over bait of any kind placed intentionally or accidentally by any person.
Feel free to contact me if you have more questions,
Sincerely,
Stephen MacIver
Senior Wildlife Regulations Officer
Fish and Wildlife Branch
Ministry of Environment
Phone <FONT face=Tahoma><FONT color=#333333>

islandstalker
06-18-2008, 08:53 AM
poachers:lol:

CanuckShooter
06-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Only a looser would use bait....it's called hunting....not fishing...geeeesh!!!

Steeleco
06-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Hunting bears over bait has always been a hot topic. I don't feel we need to bait them in BC but is there any difference between hunting over a blueberry patch or a bucket of meat scraps??

To hunt deer, APPLES or at least apple scent sticks, but again there's so many critters in various areas of the province, is baiting really necessary??

BiG Boar
06-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Hey I thought we were supposed to not comment on others methods of hunting in a negative way if it was legal?

Mr. Dean
06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey I thought we were supposed to not comment on others methods of hunting in a negative way if it was legal?

Correct you are.
This post is to be serve as a reminder and any more slagging, will be frowned upon.

Baiting is tuff, tuff work. It's more than just just tossing 'stuff' and waiting. But have at it; Deer really like apples.

Gateholio
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Bait is legal for many animals, but it's not widely used.

Bait to your hearts content.

riflebuilder
06-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Down South in Texas they bait very heavly. They use corn feeders that brodcast corn at set times. They even sell calls that sound like feeders going off. In some areas you would never see any animals if it wasn't for baiting. One other plus is it gives a good look at the animals to determine throphy quality. Feeding deer corn is not cheap nd we have lots of deer around so if you want to feed go ahead.

mark
06-18-2008, 07:20 PM
poachers:lol:

Hmm. must be too ignorant to know that its legal!

Why is that??? Its perfectly legal! Many guides use this method! Its a hell of alot of work, by no means the easy way to fill yer tags!!!

By the way, apples and salt blocks work great! :smile:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/front_shot.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=3456&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

boxhitch
06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
You might want to try the brown blocks, easier to hide, and contain trace minerals.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-18-2008, 09:31 PM
You might want to try the brown blocks, easier to hide, and contain trace minerals.

Cabelas sells a mineral block that looks like a natural rock..even easier to hide:)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat600356&id=0020566226121a&navCount=1&podId=0020566&parentId=cat600356&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600356&hasJS=true

SSS

BCRiverBoater
06-18-2008, 09:36 PM
What do you suggest for bait for Chadwick's great, great, great grandchildren?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-18-2008, 09:42 PM
What do you suggest for bait for Chadwick's great, great, great grandchildren?

Sounds funny but..........I know a local guy that spotted a nice late-season ram while glassing from the highway....climbed up there and popped him......then discovered that the outfitter had packed a pile of salt blocks up into that little basin. Seems like they had been doing it for quite some time.

SSS

Gateholio
06-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Sounds funny but..........I know a local guy that spotted a nice late-season ram while glassing from the highway....climbed up there and popped him......then discovered that the outfitter had packed a pile of salt blocks up into that little basin. Seems like they had been doing it for quite some time.

SSS

I hear quite a few outfitters "bomb" areas with salt blocks via plane.:-D

It's not illegal, they want it for thier horses, anyway. 8)

hunter1947
06-19-2008, 03:10 AM
I will never bait an animal even if it were legal to do so.

I believe that the animals we hunt have little chance of getting away once we see them and put the gun on them why make it easier to hunt them ??.
The only thing I use is scents to help cover up my scent.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-19-2008, 05:36 AM
they want it for thier horses, anyway. 8)

Maybe if they were cross breeding horses with billy goats:wink:....as there was no way to get a horse waaaaaaaaay up there.

Legal? Yes.

SSS

boxhitch
06-19-2008, 07:25 AM
I know a local guy that spotted a nice late-season ram while glassing from the highway....climbed up there and popped him......then discovered that the outfitter had packed a pile of salt blocks
Sounds counter-productive for the G/O. Not sure why he would do that in sight of the highway ? These are the guys complaining most about high hunting pressure.

....as there was no way to get a horse waaaaaaaaay up there.

I've had to carry goats uphill to the horses a couple of times. Why walk when you can ride ?

shotgunjohn
06-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Have tried using apples for bait for blacktails in the bow and shot only zone. It works great if you want to arrow a doe but we have yet to kill a decent buck over them. A herd of does will eat a lot of apples every night.

BiG Boar
06-19-2008, 08:15 AM
I just think it opens up possiblities. I didnt realize it was legal until yesterday. If one owned some land and baited everyday on his land, I bet by the time hunting season rolled around, he would know which ones are the bigguns. I have seen wolf pictures feeding at bait cans in Albreta. I know that black bear baiting is really tough work from some of the alberta guys I have talked to. You dont just fill up the drum once and leave it. I am just glad that it opened up possibilities of thought. Weather or not I use it.

huntwriter
06-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Baiting comes in many forms and is an integral part of hunting for thousands of years.

The use of sexual and food attractant scent is a form of bait. So is what the Americans call Quality Deer Management (planting food plots at strategic spots.) Even calling game is considered a form of baiting and the use of decoys.

Bait as in the offering of food is very tricky and has to be used carefully when hunted otherwise the animals will wise up to it and avoid the place. Hunting over bait is not as easy as some here might think. Feeding animals move constantly around, they come and go at will.

CanuckShooter
06-21-2008, 07:57 AM

I wasn't commenting upon another persons hunting methods...I was making a comment re: baiting. In my opinion bait is something you use for fishing, not hunting. In my circle we consider baiting to be lacking in ethics. So when young impressionable minds are around I will express my feelings on this as such.

Just because an activity is legal doesn't mean it's OK. When I watch those shows on TV of them shooting bears over garbage barrels....my feelings are confirmed.

huntcoop
06-21-2008, 08:25 AM
...........When I watch those shows on TV of them shooting bears over garbage barrels....my feelings are confirmed.

I totally agree, watching a guy sitting in a tree waiting over a few 45 gallon drums of slop, in my opinion is not really hunting.

How could the hunter feel satisfied that it was a good hunt? That, I don't understand.

steel_ram
06-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Regarding bear hunting. Fortunately in BC we are graced with mountainous terrain, open slopes and meadow with lots of bears. We are spoiled! Other places in Canada you have dense forests with few openings and limited visibility.

I have no problem ethically with these people taking bears over bait, because that's pretty much the only way to do it with any measure of success in there area. Granted it's not for me, it looks like it requires way too much work.

Lacking ethic's? Why is this any better than driving around and shooting game near or even from vehicles, a commen practise here in BC. Another case of, "I'm on higher moral ground"?

Mr. Dean
06-21-2008, 11:44 AM
HBC's motto is that IF it's legal, ALL is good.

While I believe that baiting isn't for me, I can appreciate that it is for others.
Now once a person crosses the line of being legal, that's a whole new can of worms, not to mention ethics.

-For the most part I let the law dictate what my hunting ethics are.
-How I decide to hunt, is just personal choice.

IMO these are two separate entities. Others would say it's one.

My way, I believe it removes the emotion factor, allowing for clear and rational decisions. Others would say that decisions need emotion.

Either way it boils down to choice but never will I condemn the fella that's choosing something that isn't "for me". If it's legal, have at it!

And don't forget... POST THE PIC'S! :mrgreen:

riflebuilder
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
well said Mr. Dean

kootenayelkslayer
06-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Where do we draw the line in BC between baiting bears and hunting bears off a kill for example? Do you consider it baiting to find a kill and sit there knowing full well that bears will come to it? In the regulations it says that you can't use part of an animal as bait, but what if that dead animal occurred naturally?

mark
06-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Where do we draw the line in BC between baiting bears and hunting bears off a kill for example? Do you consider it baiting to find a kill and sit there knowing full well that bears will come to it? In the regulations it says that you can't use part of an animal as bait, but what if that dead animal occurred naturally?

Waiting over a known kill IS considered baiting! Been discussed here many times!

kootenayelkslayer
06-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Waiting over a known kill IS considered baiting! Been discussed here many times!

Ok, thats what I thought. But again, its a fine line between waiting over a kill and stumbling across a kill that has a bear on it and shooting the bear. Should that be illegal too? But how would you enforce that? Is it unethical to shoot a bear on a kill that you didn't know was there? Not really in my opinion.

Gateholio
06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Ok, thats what I thought. But again, its a fine line between waiting over a kill and stumbling across a kill that has a bear on it and shooting the bear. Should that be illegal too? But how would you enforce that? Is it unethical to shoot a bear on a kill that you didn't know was there? Not really in my opinion.

You need to have intent.

kootenayelkslayer
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
You need to have intent.

Ok, but how about in a situation if you were to see a bear from a ways off and you can see that it is on a kill. Now you didn't know the kill was there prior to seeing the bear, but now you are fully aware that the bear is on a kill. If you intend to go shoot that bear, would that be considered baiting? I'm just trying to make a point here that its a grey area.
And say that this situation is legal and ethical, what if you were moving in on the bear and it left, if you were to sit there and wait to see the bear again, that would suddenly be illegal, right?

kootenayelkslayer
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
And then there is the situation of knowing the kill is there, but rather than sitting watching the kill, you hunt there area immediately surrounding it, for example sitting and watching a trail that leads to the kill. Would that be considered baiting too?

Gateholio
06-21-2008, 03:33 PM
And then there is the situation of knowing the kill is there, but rather than sitting watching the kill, you hunt there area immediately surrounding it, for example sitting and watching a trail that leads to the kill. Would that be considered baiting too?

Ask a certain guide outfitter....:cool:

mcrae
06-21-2008, 03:53 PM

I know what your saying and its a tricky grey area but I think it would all come down to what you could convince a CO had happened and then how the CO interprets the situation. IMO its still going to fall under the baiting regs. I myself would not hunt a bear on or near a kill just because its the way I interpret the regs...

Mr. Friendly
06-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I know what your saying and its a tricky grey area but I think it would all come down to what you could convince a CO had happened and then how the CO interprets the situation. IMO its still going to fall under the baiting regs. I myself would not hunt a bear on or near a kill just because its the way I interpret the regs...
I believe that's what's basically said in either the CORE manual or the Hunting Synopsis too.

steel_ram
06-21-2008, 05:51 PM
So waiting for a bear in a tree stand above a loaded salmon stream is baiting? A deer on a Alfalfa field or apple orchard?

Baiting is the deliberate placing something for the purpose of attracting wildlife. If it's already there, especially by natural causes such as a kill, or a oak grove, then it's not baiting. It's no different than staking out known game trailes or bedding areas.

huntwriter
06-21-2008, 06:17 PM
So waiting for a bear in a tree stand above a loaded salmon stream is baiting? A deer on a Alfalfa field or apple orchard?

Baiting is the deliberate placing something for the purpose of attracting wildlife. If it's already there, especially by natural causes such as a kill, or a oak grove, then it's not baiting. It's no different than staking out known game trailes or bedding areas.

That's the short and long of it. As I said in my earlier post, baiting come in different forms.:smile:

kootenayelkslayer
06-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Thats kind of how I feel. If its a naturally occuring attractant, then I feel it should be fair game to hunt it. I don't see that as baiting. Its like a part of hunting, finding a natural attractant such as a kill or a good feeding spot, it doesn't seem much different than finding good trails or any other type of hunting spot, like Steel Ram said.

mcrae
06-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Thats kind of how I feel. If its a naturally occuring attractant, then I feel it should be fair game to hunt it. I don't see that as baiting. Its like a part of hunting, finding a natural attractant such as a kill or a good feeding spot, it doesn't seem much different than finding good trails or any other type of hunting spot, like Steel Ram said.

But will the CO interpret it that way? Thats the problem with some of these vague references and regs. I am not disagreeing with you guys I believe if you hunt a bear over a natural occurring kill or dead animal that was not placed there as bait it should be fair game.

The problem I have is the way I read the regs its going to be in violation of the rules in regards to baiting bears only... This is my interpretation based on my reading of the wording. I am definitely no expert so its just one mans opinion. I don't much care about what guys use to bait deer because its legal. The very fact that they have made baiting bears illegal is what makes it tricky and open to many different interpretations. Not worth the risk IMO...

TIKA 300
06-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Down South in Texas they bait very heavly. They use corn feeders that brodcast corn at set times. They even sell calls that sound like feeders going off. In some areas you would never see any animals if it wasn't for baiting. One other plus is it gives a good look at the animals to determine throphy quality. Feeding deer corn is not cheap nd we have lots of deer around so if you want to feed go ahead.

LOL !!!!!! Thats to FUNNY(but i can believe it)

TIKA 300
06-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Hmm. must be too ignorant to know that its legal!

Why is that??? Its perfectly legal! Many guides use this method! Its a hell of alot of work, by no means the easy way to fill yer tags!!!

By the way, apples and salt blocks work great! :smile:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/front_shot.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=3456&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)
Makes me wonder how professional photographers get their pics ??????????

browningboy
06-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I use beer, works everytime! Can't believe you guys haven't brought up the obvious!8)

mcrae
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I was gonna post a pic of a can of Kokannee but I figured thats baiting so I don't want to break any rules:-P

Wolfman
06-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Bait?

You mean to attract Grizzlies?

I recommend getting a couple of those bear-bladder poacher types, tyin' em to a tree, sprinkling them with sardine oil and then just waiting ;-)

Wolfman

BiG Boar
06-23-2008, 07:17 AM
I dont think hunting over a stream of salmon would count as baiting because there are fish in nearly every river, and every bear that is shot is usually near a fish bearing river. There would be a lot more bear baiting charges heard about if it was illegal. The termed placed there I think is key. You didnt place the salmon there. Unless you work for a hatchery, and in that case you could be charged.

steel_ram
06-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Exactly! Part of hunting is knowing your game, and staking out food locations and routes to. Taking advantage of a natural food source is part of hunting.

hunter1947
06-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I dont think hunting over a stream of salmon would count as baiting because there are fish in nearly every river, and every bear that is shot is usually near a fish bearing river. There would be a lot more bear baiting charges heard about if it was illegal. The termed placed there I think is key. You didnt place the salmon there. Unless you work for a hatchery, and in that case you could be charged.

Hunting buy a stream is legal.

The fish are there buy nature ,you did not put them there ,so it is not considered baiting.

kootenayelkslayer
06-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Hunting buy a stream is legal.

The fish are there buy nature ,you did not put them there ,so it is not considered baiting.

Ok, but you didn't place a kill there. The kill was placed there by nature. So what's the difference??

BiG Boar
06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I think the difference is that a bear wouldnt neccesarily come to your part of the river, whereas if there is one dead deer, chances are slightly in favor of finding exactly where the bear is feeding. Besides, who wants a stinky old fish bear. Only a person without tastebuds.

BCrams
06-23-2008, 01:16 PM

So that is what you use :roll:

Mr. Dean
06-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok, but you didn't place a kill there. The kill was placed there by nature. So what's the difference??

I agree with this 100% and have brought it up in past threads.

We have a "high profile" member :rolleyes:,,, that did just this but without his knowledge. He plugged a bear that turned out to be feeding on a kill but because of the terrain, the kill wasn't noticed. IMO, whether or not it was noticed, it shouldn't make for a beens worth of debait (pun intended) - Momma Nature placed it there and that's the bottom line. This member even yarned about it with local CO's and he claims that they didn't bat an eyelash... Maybe they saw it my way, or perhaps they felt that he didn't know the kill was there and believed the 'story'. I don't know.

WTS it's not something I worry about because I'm after bears that're grazing. :tongue:

Now knowingly hunting a gut-pile is a different set of rules in my book. That's human interaction and is clearly illegal.