PDA

View Full Version : Baiting in BC

Ambush
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
The use of bait to hunt bear and migratory birds in BC is prohibited. The use of bait to hunt other species is permitted. Following are portions of the wildlife act which apply to the baiting:
Definition:
" bait " means any thing, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy;
Offence — weapons
17 (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait , or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait ,
Offence — general
18 (1) A person commits an offence where he
c) hunts migratory game birds within 400 m of any place where bait has been deposited unless that place has been free of bait for a minimum period of 7 days,
As stated, natural food sources (native plants) are not considered bait, although food sources which could have been placed by a human (a carcass, grains, etc.) are considered bait. To determine if a wild animal has died of natural causes while another animal is feeding on the carcass is difficult to do, if there was a bullet or arrow head inside the animal the hunter would have little or no way of knowing. For this reason all dead wildlife, gut piles, etc are considered bait, and essentially, shooting a bear standing over the carcass of a dead animal is considered using bait (Conservation officers have went out with metal detectors to see if there is a bullet in the animal on the ground). Placing food of any kind, or using food placed by another, with the intention of attracting a bear or migratory birds to a specific place is considered baiting. Gut piles (even left behind by another hunter weeks ago), grains, banana peels, leftovers and chain saw oil would all be considered bait if they are used to attract a bear. The material does not have to be purposely placed to attract wildlife to be considered bait.
Hypothetical situation: Neighbour Joe takes his dog for a walk through the woods, half way through the trip he throws some dog chow on the ground for his dog to eat, but the dog is not hungry and leaves it. Hunter Tom comes through the woods two days later and spots a bear eating the dog chow on the ground, to shoot that bear would be considered shooting that bear over bait.
This is a part of the regulations which is very complicated. The ethics of the hunter and the discretion of the Conservation Officer plays a large role in the outcome of the situation. There have been cases where hunters have been charged and convicted of this offence, but often there is reasonable doubt as to the intentions of the parties involved. In order to be sure that you are not breaking the law, do not knowingly hunt bear or migratory birds over bait of any kind placed intentionally or accidentally by any person.
Feel free to contact me if you have more questions,
Sincerely,
Stephen MacIver
Senior Wildlife Regulations Officer
Fish and Wildlife Branch
Ministry of Environment
Phone (250) 387-9767
Fax (250) 387-0239
Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

There was a discussion about what would be considered baiting, particularly bears, in another thread.
This is the response I received from the MOE.

Statler
06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
An interesting read for sure. Thanks for posting it. Have to say the hypothetical example of using the dog chow as hunting over bait gives me pause to think. Just how close does a CO expect you to get to a bear to be able to see some kibble on the ground. :shock: I can see a carcass or gut pile but come on dog chow? I suppose if it was a 20kg bag it would be different. A guy could see that when he makes his 400m shot!

boxhitch
06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
This is a part of the regulations which is very complicated.
Not really ? If they suspect the hunter had knowledge of the bait, they may lay charges.
Sometimes things are done in the field by the CO's, that seems right at the time. Then its up to the courts to sort it out.

Mr. Dean
06-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Key word in this e-mail is "knowingly"...

FourOhs
09-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Is it OK to ressurect this from 2008? ;)

An interesting read for sure. Thanks for posting it. Have to say the hypothetical example of using the dog chow as hunting over bait gives me pause to think. Just how close does a CO expect you to get to a bear to be able to see some kibble on the ground. :shock: I can see a carcass or gut pile but come on dog chow? I suppose if it was a 20kg bag it would be different. A guy could see that when he makes his 400m shot!

Key word in this e-mail is "knowingly"...
You and your buddy are are walking along your game trail and step over a small pile of kibble on the ground. "That's weird." Three hours later you're walking back and from 400m away you see Yogi standing in that same spot shnuffling through the dirt. You know the kibble's there, even though you can't see it.

Whiterock
09-08-2015, 01:59 PM
The first line at the start of the thread says, the use of bait to hunt other species is permitted. I was curious, so I looked in the book and cannot find where it says its illeagle to bait species such as deer,,,wolf or couger,,is it legal? and where in the book does it say?

jamesvtr
09-08-2015, 02:05 PM
the only ones i found to be ilegal was bear and water fowel

scotty30-06
09-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Yea it's my understanding that baiting deer is perfectly legal to bait deer.....just don't shoot a bear over the same bait you use for deer

Grinder
09-08-2015, 04:27 PM
so is it legal to bait deer in BC? or not? anybody know for sure?

Barracuda
09-08-2015, 07:01 PM
cant bait bear or waterfowl can bait everything else but you cant feed dangerous wildlife unless lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping.

Moose Guide
09-08-2015, 10:02 PM
I asked the local CO about this and he said it is perfectly legal to bait all species except bear and migratory game birds(water fowl)

wideopenthrottle
09-09-2015, 07:17 AM
wow...I just learned another new thing..i would have bet money baiting deer was illegal in bc....I also learned yesterday that you do not have to be 15m off a forest service road to shoot....I am not so sure I like what I am learning but it is better to know the rules...thanks

caddisguy
09-09-2015, 07:43 AM
wow...I just learned another new thing..i would have bet money baiting deer was illegal in bc....I also learned yesterday that you do not have to be 15m off a forest service road to shoot....I am not so sure I like what I am learning but it is better to know the rules...thanks

Depends on the road of course, maintained/unmaintained, single lane, multiple lane, provincial park vs crown, municipal regs, specific mention of roads restrictions in various regions in the synopsis. Always some research and double checking to know for sure if it's ok to pop one off the road.

I use bait (salt mostly but peanut butter once in a while to help deer find the salt) for 2 out of 3 cams I'm running now (pretty sure its against the Parks Act to bait in a provincial park, which would over-ride the clauses in the wildlife act. Bait/cams haven't really helped me get a deer but it's neat to see what's in the area. Got a 5x5 BT visiting one cam. Unfortunately there are a few bears that come visit. Hoping I won't see the bears this weekend (at least near that spot) as I could not legally shoot the bear because of the salt. My plan if I'm near the salt and a bear comes in is to alert it to my presense as early as possible, have spray and a fresh pair of shorts handy.

quadrakid
09-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Do you people ever actually read the hunting regulations?

whitespringer
09-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Another hypothetical... you shoot a moose back in the bush. You pack out as much as you can that night and return in the morning to find a snarly griz in the vicinity. You also have a grizz draw in your pocket. What would you do?

HIGHRPM
09-10-2015, 08:48 AM
I don't believe in baiting for any hunting purpose, it makes us look like American hunters, where they are shooters and not really hunting ! You go to them and defeat them on their own turf, you don't bring them to you for any easy shot. Hunting is work, shooting is not, I choose to hunt till I die, the Canadian way !

dodge456
09-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I was reminded of this on the weekend...seen one of the biggest bears I've ever seen with a beautiful blonde colored coat rummaging in a garbage pile someone had dumped just off the Coq...would have taken him for sure if not for the fact that he's probably a garbage bear to begin with but also the fact that this would be considered "baiting" even tho I didn't put the garbage there. Was a cool bear to see anyway.

Riverbc
10-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Some stores like WSS in BC, sell scent sticks for bear. You light them, and they begin to smoke. Not legal in BC, but stores can sell them as you can use them in an out of province hunt. BPS in Calgary has a ton of deer bait, however, baiting deer in Alberta is illegal. I asked a BPS about it, and he replies, that it is used for photography. I'm assuming he means for pre-season, trail cams?
Any how...from page 15 of the regs

It is unlawful to

18. to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorised.

19. to hunt bears by placing bait or by using a dead animal or using part of it as bait.

36. to hunt migratory game birds within 400 m of any place where bait has been deposited unless that place has been free of bait for at least 7 days

What is bait as defined in the regs?

Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.

boxhitch
10-14-2015, 09:12 AM
scent sticks for bear

Not legal in BCWhy ? because of this reference ?

Bait-any manufactured product or materialThats stretching things , don't you think ?

I tend to think like a fisherman, bait is a food source , lures and scents are ok.

Riverbc
10-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Why ? because of this reference ?
Thats stretching things , don't you think ?

I tend to think like a fisherman, bait is a food source , lures and scents are ok.

nope..it doesn't say edible, it says attract,

Reply I got last last year inquiring why WSS, Nanaimo would be selling the bear sticks.

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the use of scent to attract bears.

It is my interpretation of the Wildlife Act and its Regulations that it is illegal to use an incense like scent stick, as described in your email, for the purpose of hunting bears in BC.

The Hunting Regulations of the provincial Wildlife Act defines bait as:
“bait” means anything, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy.
As per the definition above, any manufactured product or material that may attract wildlife is captured in the definition of bait. It is my interpretation that the incense-like stick meets this description, is considered “bait”, and is prohibited for the purpose of hunting bears in BC.

Section 17 (1)(m) of the Wildlife Act Hunting Regulation states:

Offence — weapons

17 (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait.

Please note that each Province in Canada has their own hunting laws and the above only pertains to hunting laws in British Columbia.

It is not an offence for a business to sell this product or for a customer to purchase this product, as it may be sold for the purpose of hunting in a jurisdiction where the use of bait for the purpose of hunting bears is permitted.

Kelly Smith
Fish and Wildlife Regulations Clerk
Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
Resource Stewardship Division
Fish and Wildlife Branch
Fisheries Management"

Riverbc
10-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Why ? because of this reference ?
Thats stretching things , don't you think ?

No..in freshwater....if there is a bait ban in place, do not use a scent. Even Jensen eggs soaked anise oil are illegal.

Page 9...freshwater regs

RULES ON BAIT USAGE“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, other than wood,cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. It does not include fin fish, other than roe. It includes roe, worms and other edible substances, as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients

RadHimself
10-14-2015, 09:49 PM
..... there was also the debate about shooting off your vehicle.... if you had you arms on the hood or door... your offending, if you laid your pack on the hood, and shot off of that... as long as your not "touching it" your goods to go... least from what i remember anyway

so this http://buckexpert.com/en/pages/produit_select/191 is baiting.... and they sell it at grouse river in b.c

caddisguy
10-15-2015, 07:26 AM
In the valley I hunt, I keep finding cans of salmon with holes punched in them. I have found 4 over about 20km... mostly from the spring but found a fresh one early September (about 1km off where I "was" seeing a bear on cam up until then) ususally right on an FSR but one on a hiking trail.

Elkaholic
10-15-2015, 09:24 AM
In the valley I hunt, I keep finding cans of salmon with holes punched in them. I have found 4 over about 20km... mostly from the spring but found a fresh one early September (about 1km off where I "was" seeing a bear on cam up until then) ususally right on an FSR but one on a hiking trail.

My thoughts would be somebody is trying to get ol yogi on the road so they can shoot him there. Still illegal and I hope you catch the tards.

Riverbc
10-15-2015, 01:14 PM
so this http://buckexpert.com/en/pages/produit_select/191 is baiting.... and they sell it at grouse river in b.c
Yes.....illegal to use in BC, but not illegal to sell, as someone could be taking it on a bear trip in Alberta or other areas that allow the baiting of bears.

RadHimself
10-15-2015, 07:19 PM
but for the intentions of a cam bait, it's legal?

"knowingly shot over bait" yea ok... i get it

but if your using it for a cam... and its in "the area"

this is going grey fast

Riverbc
10-31-2015, 04:06 PM
but for the intentions of a cam bait, it's legal?

"knowingly shot over bait" yea ok... i get it

but if your using it for a cam... and its in "the area"

this is going grey fast

No...not grey...regs state...it is unlawful, "to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorised."

Dutch
10-31-2015, 07:09 PM
We "baited" waterfowl for over 10 years,did not hunt over the bait but used the 400m rule for set up. We were checked by the CO'S regularly to insure we did not infringe on the 400m rule,although back then I thought it was 1/2 mile. This worked pretty well as the new birds would decoy to the outer fringes but the locals would beeline straight to and from,ethical? moral ? was not my call but it did happen ,