PDA

View Full Version : Highway Griz

ARC
06-17-2008, 10:08 PM
I took a few days off to spend at my parents place in Castlegar. On the way back to Kamloops last night I spotted a grizzly sow with 2 cubs right off the highway. These Griz were less than 5 minutes out of the city limits of Castlegar. They hung around the side of the road for a couple of minutes, however by the time I got my camera out, they were heading into the trees. I grew up in the area and have never run into them this low before

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/Arc79/Bear1-2.jpg

Here's a pic of the cubs.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/Arc79/Bear3-2.jpg

Jagermeister
06-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Those little tykes look like last years prodigy. Kinda scrawny, groceries must be a might bit scarce.

Mr. Friendly
06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
sad they look so underweight, but adorable none-the-less! :D

Koot
06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Nice find.I drive that road 2-4 times per week and have never seen them.I try to go early and late to see the most game.Were they in those big cuts on the north side of the highway going toward Nancy Green lake?I'll have to look a little closer now.Saw a imature Bull moose in there yesterday.
Koot

ARC
06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Nice find.I drive that road 2-4 times per week and have never seen them.I try to go early and late to see the most game.Were they in those big cuts on the north side of the highway going toward Nancy Green lake?I'll have to look a little closer now.Saw a imature Bull moose in there yesterday.
Koot

No, they were quite a bit lower than Nancy Greene Lake. They were just past the s turns outside of Castlegar. There's an old gas station there, I think it was called the hilltop....maybe 3 minutes west of there.

I had never seen them that way either. However a couple of hunting partners of mine have ran into a few in the past 10 years or so.

hunter1947
06-20-2008, 06:24 AM
Its nice to see them in the area tells you that the boar is somewhere in the area as well. Its hard to say from a pic if they are underweight ???.

steepNdeep
06-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Damn - those are the skinniest lookin' (grizz) cubs that I've seen.

There are tons of grizz around there. An old hardcore hunter got chewed by a big boar while pushing some alder for grouse hunting up top near Shields. He was ready to draw and never got a chance. Grabbed him by the hip and shook the sh!t out of him... he crawled back to the truck and is still gimped...:shock: They tracked the boar down towards Arrow.

I've seen another young boar up near the truck stop past the lake and my pard saw a family up by the gravel pit on top. There's also a families on Neptune, OK and Sheep. Thereand a big boar up there and on Plewman... Enough to keep you puckered walking back to teh truck in the dark or up before first light... 8)

Koot
07-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Finially saw the bears tonight.Watched them for about 20 min with my son.very cool!I took some pics on my cell so I will post as soon as I figure out how.
Koot