PDA

View Full Version : fly in sheep hunt question?

Garret
06-17-2008, 03:26 PM
when doing a fly in trip for sheep what do you think is the magic number for the size of group to go with?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
No having to meet up with other partners at a scheduled time...etc.

SSS

06-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I agree with 2, or 4 on a larger plane. The problem with 3 is someone possibly will go alone at one point or another...odd man out. with 4 you can split into 2 groups and go different directions. Also, getting 1 good ram is one thing, 2, 3, or 4 is another...although it has been done.
C/T

Nimrod
06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Roger what Steve said.
plus there's less chance of getting the sheep jumpy.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-17-2008, 04:40 PM
You can do 4 in a larger plane(beaver) as mentioned and maybe hit two separate lakes...sharing the cost...and maybe using a crewcab to head north to share the expenses. But you will most likely have to stick to your pre-arranged pick up time whether you tag out early or not.

Bottom line is you want everyone to have a good chance of getting a ram and the odds keep going down with the higher the number of people.

SSS

wildman 22
06-17-2008, 05:39 PM
as far as #of people goes, i say 2 or 4 people for costs .i rather hunt sheep by myself,saves alot of could be altercations.

boxhitch
06-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Magic number would have something to do with the type of friends and also the lake you choose.
I have seen a pretty awesome base camp that 4 guys loaded into a Beaver. Two parties of two went their ways, switched dates half way through, and resupply, after a beer break. They had time .

ursus
06-17-2008, 07:47 PM
fly in 2 or 4 is ideal. If doing a hike in, 2 is doable, but it would be less of a grunt if a 3rd was along!

Garret
06-17-2008, 08:28 PM
ya as it sits right now currently we have 3 guys (inc me) and I wanted preferably to have a crew of 4 just so you can have 2 groups of 2 and then you can cover more country and not have to worry about guys hiking way in the back forty away from any help... any one in the kelowna area kickin the idea around for a fly in trip, looking for some keen guys?

plan is to fly out of dease lake on the 14/15 of aug for 2 wks.

daycort
06-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I agree even numbers is best.. for this year fly in trip we are bringing a extra paddler bag thats water proof with a dome tent and some rope and a place to keep half are food and salt and tie it in a tree. It will lighten up are packs...

BCRiverBoater
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
2 is ideal but if not go with 4. 4 only works if the area has 2 separate areas that is accessible from the same lake or strip. A 3rd is awesome if he is not hunting. Makes the stalk a little trickier but he can run the camera and pack out gear.

2 groups out hunting removes the old satellite call to fly home early if one group scores or has an emergency. It can be hard enough to find one partner that you can live with and make decisions with so try it with 3 or 4. There may be only 2 people on the return flight anyways. :twisted:

25tikka
06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Just a point to think about. If you are flying into higher altitude lakes or shorter lakes, less weight is a great thing as airplanes at high altitudes need a lot more run. A group of 4 and gear and a sheep or two is a BIG load even for a beaver at higher altitudes. Make sure your aircraft can handle large groups or be prepared to pay for 2 trips on the way out of some spots.

BCRiverBoater
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Has anyone used a Eberlestock J107 pack? I am looking at them and they look like a great pack. Looking for feedback.

bwhnter
06-25-2008, 06:15 AM
I read on another forum that one of the complaints was that with the gun holster between you and the load, when you get substantial weight in the pack it feels uncomfortable and not as stable. The load is just to far from your back. Over all though there were no other complaints. I believe one of there packs is going to have the rifle scabbard on the side and one has a collapsable scabbard so that when you have a really heavy load you can carry your rifle and keep the load closer to your back.

Bwhnter

budismyhorse
06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
AHHHH, this is the last question I need to answer too. Good for bringing it up.

I have heard from 2 different camps on this subject. The "just one" boys who own them seem to love this pack and each one I talked with have said the old "wouldn't go back without this pack" reply. That carries a lot of weight with me.

However, without the benefit of using one, I am a little skeptical. The pack seems to hold all the weight in the same wide area where I am used to packing up a little higher and narrow with my old external frame. I am affraid that 100+ pound loads with be too low and awkward.

but again, the guys who own them tend to think they were made of gold.

Please, hunters with experience using these packs need to help us out!! August 1 (or July 27th for me) is coming soon!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I've got a J-107 and a Wilderness Wanderer and I would still be a little hesistant to take the 107 on a two week sheep hunt. It's a great "couple of dayer" or even longer and awesome as a daypack, but the profile is narrower and it is not as long as my WW........ therefore, the weight will have to be further behind you...which makes the design opposite the WW where the weight is carried much closer to your center of mass. I've got the spike duffel which zips onto the outside of the 107 for lighter items such as clothes...but the idea of a full two week hunt with the 107 still worries me.

SSS

BCRiverBoater
06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks. I was wondering about how well the gun scabbard would work. I thought a heavy load would push the gun into your back. Also thought the duffel option would pull down and out on your pack.

I have looked at the Wilderness Wanderer as well. I can buy that one locally in our outdoor store. How have you liked it?

bighornbob
06-25-2008, 08:20 PM
As I stated on another thread, I have a J107 and love it as the other guys that have one. I took it on a two week shep hunt and it did fine for me.

I have not had any issues with the gun scabbard and I doubt it any complaints one would have would outweigh how usefull it is when climbing in the hills. The days of my gun banging on the side or slipping off my shoulder are over:)

THe WW are good packs but I guess they do not stand up quality wise with the Barney. Ask Stone sheep Steve as he owns a WW and has looked over a Barney and hes says there is no comparison with the Barney being better made.

Ayone in Kamloops is more then welcome to come by and see my J107.

BHB

BCRiverBoater
06-25-2008, 08:55 PM
I bought a Kifaru gun sling for my pack. I have not tried yet but it will be on pack this fall. Not packing a gun but having it handy is the best thing ever for hiking. I never liked strapping my gun to my pack like some guys do. I want it available when needed in a hurry. The J107 scabbard is what grabbed my attention. I was just wondering how it affected the weight distribution etc. Is it easy to get the gun out in a hurry with a heavy pack?

Tuffcity
06-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I think the number of people will depend on the mentality and determination of those who are going. But I would suggest that 4 is max.

The first Stone hunt I was on was with 3 experienced sheep hunters. 2 were holding out for a 40" or better and myself and one other would take a decent legal ram. Everyone knew this going in. We shared the same camp and hunted and glassed mostly the same area most of the time.

End of the day I took a 36" ram the other "any legal sheep" hunter missed one and the other 2 guys passed on a few. Everyone got along, every one helped out.

RC