PDA

View Full Version : New hunters

boatdoc
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I challange everyone on this site to take out at least one new, inexperienced or non-hunter for at least a day trip.
And yes, i realize many of you do this already!

mark
06-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Good idea, I put the offer out to anyone I talk to, that gets their licence! Ive converted a few adult newbies into succesfull hunters.

Kechika
06-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Im way to greedy.Its all about me

ruger#1
06-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I was going to take Kechita, But i dont think i could handle that stinky hat. lol.

mntbowhunter
06-16-2008, 05:48 PM
boatdoc has a great idea! I am in my mid twenties and its getting difficult to even talk to people about hunting let alone take people hunting. Sad to say the new generation is just not the same. Gotta keep the sport alive!

moosinaround
06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I've taken lots of new people out! My sister hunts now, my business partner was a city boy who was converted to a hunter gatherer, my son, and whoever else would like to come out to see what hunting is all about! Moosin

pointandshoot
06-16-2008, 10:42 PM
i've taken my dad (got my first deer last fall with him, and many grouse), room mate, good friend (who was with me when i got my bear last week), a co-worker, and another co-worker currently has my core book so he can study for his test. i've also loaned out my rpal and pal books to two other co-workers so they could upgrade their pol to pal's...all this since 1 year ago. i always like company while i'm in the bush (unless i'm going into super stealth mode, or doing the sit and wait game...) plus they always seem to have a great time getting out there and popping some rounds off.

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 04:06 AM
I challange everyone on this site to take out at least one new, inexperienced or non-hunter for at least a day trip.
Don I take out on camping trips young fellas with my 16 year old son every long weekend ,and yes I have got one new recruitment waiting to get in for his course this happened on the long weekend of May this year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

BiG Boar
06-17-2008, 07:18 AM
I am a new hunter and two guys on the site have taken me out and shown me the ropes this year, dadandson and srupp. Thank you gentlemen! I have also been out with 2 other new hunters from here. In the field is such a difference from anything you see in hunting videos and learn in books. You learn so much more in the field. For instance before this year began I have camped and lived in BC lots and never seen more than 2 bears my whole life! This year alone, I have seen close to 30! I sure do love this sport! I would recomend you all take out us young people as we have good strong backs!

GrandA
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I am a new hunter and "sfire436" has taken the task of helping me out on my first hunt.

Wild one
06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I have taken one new hunter from this forum this year already.I am willing to take others but can only handle a small number a year.Hunting is a sport that most need some one to show them the ropes so I hope there are others like me who try to help at least 1 new hunter a year.You don't need to take them to your honey holes just get them out there with a little help.When you take out new hunters it gives the chance to teach proper ethics and proper care of the game they harvest.I know every one here would like to have new hunters with proper ethics and this is the best way to make it happen.

Vansmasher
06-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I have not taken non-hunters out recently..... however back in the day I did take a couple non-hunting college buddies out hunting and they both got totally hooked and fully into hunting.

boatdoc
06-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Great start everyone! I have taken out five new people but only three have started hunting on a regular basis.
I am willing to take someone new out this fall, but don't have anyone lined up yet.

NaStY
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I was very fortunate to be able to go last year for the first time with my brother inlaw (30 yrs exp ) and a couple close friends (5 yrs exp). Without the time they spent with me, it would not know what little i do. I really hope i get the time to hunt this year......

hunter1947
06-18-2008, 06:38 AM
My thoughts on getting new hunters into hunting is to take them out on a few hunts with you and see if they are cut out for it.

What I have experienced taking young ones out is they have told me the negative things that they don't like about hunting.

The way I see it is that there is a ratio on the maybes and don't that like hunting and what I have found out is that 1 in 5 will get into hunting ,thats what I have found out over the last 10 years.

I have taken out about 20 different young fellas on hunts over the fast years and I have got 4 into the field of hunting. Most of them don't like the killing and cleaning of the animal. They also don't like all the walking that is involved.

Spokes and Arrows
08-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi folks,

new to the site and new to the lifestyle. Any idea how to hook up with experienced hunting mentor in the Vancouver area?

kelmore
08-14-2012, 05:45 AM
I live in the fraser valley and am more than happy to help someone take a new hunter out :smile: this year will be my second year hunting, saw some of game last year but had to eat my tag

BigfishCanada
08-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Ive gotten over 15 people converted within that past 10 years, and more coming, 2 new Jr hunters this year, and two adults are now asking me how to get the CORE, mostly because I fed the deer roast at my fishing derby.

The first step is teaching people not to be ashamed or hide the fact we kill deer, we discuss it with non hunters by saying, come over for dinner :)

s0ylentgreen
08-14-2012, 07:06 AM
my little girls are only 2 and 4 1/2 - a few more years and they'll be harvesting!

Robson
08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
I will be taking my GF out this year. She is excited to see what it is all about. Hopefully she will be taking the CORE course soon.

J_T
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi folks,

new to the site and new to the lifestyle. Any idea how to hook up with experienced hunting mentor in the Vancouver area? Best way is to join a local organization and meet guys.

If you hunt with a bow, just start attending 3D shoots in your area. it's a bit out of season right now for 3D, but come winter and spring, pick up a bow and go to a 3D. Lots of people that shoot 3D also hunt with a rifle, it's a good place to meet people.

shadow1982
08-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Last year was a good year for me, but I just got lucky since I was road hunting… this year I am tring to learn how to do pre-season scouting , I live in Surrey BC… and I am free Aug 24-25th/2012 Friday or Saturday. If someone wants to show me how to hike and signs to look for?

shadowhunter
08-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Looking to go for some day trips or overnighters out of Vancouver for Blacktails (Squamish, Chilliwack, Harrison) Just a 17 yo guy who is willing to learn and pitch for gas! weekends and pro-d days are the only times I can. PM me if you live within 1.5hrs from Vancouver and willing to take a young newbie out! Cheers.

trapperRick
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I am taking two new hunters this year on my moose hunt

WaderGator
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
taking the girlfriend out this year. probably be up for taking a couple newbs out too. I'll post to see if anyones available once season starts

bosca
08-16-2012, 12:47 AM
boatdoc has a great idea! I am in my mid twenties and its getting difficult to even talk to people about hunting let alone take people hunting. Sad to say the new generation is just not the same. Gotta keep the sport alive!
Unfortunately I would have to agree...
However...I have been pleasantly surprised and encouraged to see several posts describing tough, well thought out, successful hunts and later find out that the guys posting were youngsters...well twenty somethings...like mtnbowhunter.
You guys are the real diplomats for the future of our sport/lifestyle ...keep representing us well and others will follow.

emerson
08-16-2012, 04:55 AM
My boy asked about getting his hunting license the other
day; he's 7....

bosca
08-16-2012, 07:26 AM
My boy asked about getting his hunting license the other
day; he's 7....
That is great...I was about 7 when my dad first started taking me out and back then the core coarse was an elective in school which I eventuallytook and loved. To this day hunting is central to my sanity and one of the strongest bond I share with my dad...Who at 82 is still hunting and helping me pack out deer.
I hope you share the same with your son.

sparkes3
08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
four newbies last year two were sucessfull on four point mulies one was sucessfull on a black bear .
this year i got two lined up for leh moose

warnniklz
08-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Does taking 2 new shooters to the range count?

My little cousin

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/387039_10152063381720387_255398781_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/304527_10152063382380387_1733270035_n.jpg

My uncle

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/393379_10152063383255387_1815090566_n.jpg

Morel
08-31-2012, 09:55 PM

Trying to arrange to take a friend out for grouse. We have been over gun safety and taken a trip out to the range but she is dragging her feet on getting her CORE so it might be a less of a hunt and more of a hike with me carrying a gun. It is a start. Funny, I am not by any means an experienced hunter but am about the only friend with any experience to act as a mentor. Thank you HBC for all the help and advice last season.

cmidd
09-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I'd love to take any of you generous, experienced hunters up on your offers! This year will be my first season and being shown the ropes by those who know what they're doing would be invaluable... I'm from the Island and live in Vancouver, but am willing to travel ~4-5 hrs to get to the right spot. I'll be purchasing my first rifle shortly and I'd like to try for deer to begin with, though bird hunting would be great too, but I don't have the gear - still would love to tag along. PM me if interested. Thanks!

grizzlydueck
09-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I find that there are alot of people around cranbrook that are very interested in learning how to shoot and how to hunt. Just in the last 3 days I was lucky enough to introduce several people into shooting rifles and handguns. It has cut into my work time, but 4hrs a day at the range beats work any day!
Also i'm joinging two 70+ seniors out for elk and moose to call and lend a hand. During the elk season i will be mentoring 6-7 guys that have different levels of experience- some brand new and also a single mom for elk and deer. Yes i take most of the fall off =Good karma goes a long way! And its so rewarding.
We should all take a newbie ,a youngin or an old fart out and share "The Hunt"