PDA

View Full Version : seeking Halibut advice

Krico
06-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I know there are some die-hard halibut guys around here, looking for some advice. First question is on the best knots for braided line. I've heard that the double Palomar is very good. I know how to make a palomar, but what is actually doubled for the double Palomar??? And when attaching to a spreader bar, do you tie onto a heavyweight swivel/clip and attach that to the spreader bar?-or tie directly onto the spreader bar?-the latter seems it would be a PITA making a loop big enough to go around the spreader bar. What knot should be used for tying the line to reel?

Any other advice on Halibut fishing is much appreciated-bait, technique, top secret GPS co-ordinates;-). Heading out in a couple of weeks to the Work Channel. Can't wait:grin:.

Mr. Dean
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Double Palomar is done by simply folding the line over (doubling up) before tying.
Yes, use a 40# chunk of mono for attaching the weight to the spreader. WHEN you get hung up, the mono will break and you won't lose all your gear.
When spooling, I just tie a loop and spin it on. If a Hali gets you get down that far, no knot will save you. I've even been known to us duct tape.

Hope it helps. I'll keep watch on this thread for any other questions.

Mr. Dean
06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
PS.
Use a Palomar for tying a sturdy swivel to the mainline ---> Attach spreader bar to this swivel.

Hows that for problem solving? :tongue: :wink:

Krico
06-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks Mr. Dean.

Any tips on baiting up?

Sooke Hunter
06-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I like to use either whole herring or mackeral.....with a few slices along their sides just before I drop it down. I hook the bait onto #7 Gamis in tandom. Leader from spreader bar about 18 inches.

Mr. Dean
06-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks Mr. Dean.

Any tips on baiting up?

Fresh is best.

WTS, a good secondary is whole frozen squid that is used for calamari. Super Store sell then in boxes for CHEAP.
If you happen to catch an octopus, their arms sliced up work great also.
Fresh clams dug off the beach.

If I'm stuck, frozen herring will get a guy started.

If pinks are in, I'll back any other bait with a steak. Same said for the bellies of Coho and Springs. They leave a NICE oil slick and don't fall off the hook when being 'played' with. Squid backed with Salmon bellies or Pink chunks, are my favorite.

I also dress up ALL my baits with a large skirt. I'm very fond of the Gill's mudraker "Punk Skunk". Basically anything that glows and can be recharged with a camera flash.

Johnnybear
06-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I also dress up ALL my baits with a large skirt. I'm very fond of the Gill's mudraker "Punk Skunk". Basically anything that glows and can be recharged with a camera flash.

I'm assuming this is on the leader attached to a spreader bar. How do you rig the skirt? I would imagine right in front of the first hook or crimp something a little further up the leader to hold the skirt in place? Great advice on the bait.

K-1
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Check out Halibut.Net, lots of info. and stuff to spend your $. on.

Mr. Dean
06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm assuming this is on the leader attached to a spreader bar. How do you rig the skirt? I would imagine right in front of the first hook or crimp something a little further up the leader to hold the skirt in place? Great advice on the bait.

Yes. Just slip it on the leader, the 1st hook will act as a stopper.

FWIW, I like my leaders made outta 80# mono - Again, to save the rest of the gear incase of fouling the bottom. Caught some heavy hali's over the years and never had one snap a leader. It takes a STRONG man to hold more than 80#'s at the end of a fishing pole. lol.

That's what drag is for.... :smile:

If you're intent on using wire, old downrigger cable is cheap for this.