PDA

View Full Version : Spitfires

Archer
06-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Guys, I'm not trying to get another huge debate/argument going here, just wanted to comment on the performance of these particular broadheads. I shot a decent bear last weekend with a Spitfire mechanical head, and was very impressed. It broke two ribs on entry, about 6 inches behind the front shoulder, and broke two more on exit just in front of the opposite leg, and passed clean through. It left a blood trail that a blind guy could follow, and all three blades still look like they're fresh out of the package (still razor sharp). I'm sure that they may not perform that well every time, but they sure did the trick this time around.

Bow Walker
06-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Guys, I'm not trying to get another huge debate/argument going here, just wanted to comment on the performance of these particular broadheads. I shot a decent bear last weekend with a Spitfire mechanical head, and was very impressed. It broke two ribs on entry, about 6 inches behind the front shoulder, and broke two more on exit just in front of the opposite leg, and passed clean through. It left a blood trail that a blind guy could follow, and all three blades still look like they're fresh out of the package (still razor sharp). I'm sure that they may not perform that well every time, but they sure did the trick this time around.
There's a back shoulder?!?:eek:

Seriously though, since N.A.P. went from the 2-bladed heads to strictly 3-bladed heads they (the heads) have improved immeasurably. The design doesn't allow (much) for skipping before entry - and once entered the rest is history.

Congrats on the bear.

Ambush
06-15-2008, 08:41 PM
That is the same type of performance I have observed.

Archer
06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Bow Walker;293607]There's a back shoulder?!?:eek:

Thanks Bow walker. Force of habit. Funny though, thats not the first time I've been corrected on that LOL. Sigh.......l

adam moleski
06-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Same with me, they are the best heads we have used.

loki
06-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Good to see a performance review.

Pictures?

Kirby
06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
curious to know the angle of the shot? Broadside? Angled away? I had a very different experience with my Spitfires and so have several hunters who I know, always on an angled shot.

Kirby

Onesock
06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
More info Kirby?

pupper
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
on angled shots mechanicals open on the side that hits the animal first and then turns (potentially)
I personally do not like mechanicals

Archer
06-16-2008, 07:53 PM
The bear was quartering away, not too steep, but enough that the arrow exited in front of the leg. I also shot a fork mulie last year with a Spitfire, quatering slightly towards me @ 15 yrds. The arrow clipped the back of the shoulder and sailed through, breaking a rib near the back of the ribcage on the opposite side. Once again, the head was in great shape, except for one blade being slightly bent. I could see them screwing up on real hard quartering shots, but in my experiences with them, they have worked well.

huntwriter
06-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I have used Spitfire broeadheads for many years and always was very happy with their performance. Although I use now exclusively Thuserheads, also from NAP, and Magnus broadheads, stories like yours from hunters all across North America about the excellent performance of the Spitfire reach me regularly.

Congratulation on the bear.