PDA

View Full Version : Turkey tag

GoatGuy
06-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Would you support having to buy a mandatory turkey tag?

BigBanger
06-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Its a bird .

Mr. Dean
06-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Need more info.
Why???

Gateholio
06-15-2008, 02:15 AM
I really don't know much about turkey hunting in BC, except that they must have migrated here, they used to be on LEH and now are on GOS.

If the issue is concerns about people killing more than the one turkey they are allowed to kill, then I could see a tag system being introduced, but they are a bird, and I'd only support a free tag for the purposes of record keeping/keeping track that there are not more than one turkey taken, etc. Maybe charge $1 for administration, at the most.

I see no value in making turkey a $15-$20 tag, especially as they are a non native species and clearly there is no conservation issue, as they are now GOS, rather than LEH.

Making turkey a $15-25-$30 tag is pretty silly, IMHO.

beeker
06-15-2008, 02:45 AM
yeah i'd be into it, depending on the cost

hunter1947
06-15-2008, 05:54 AM
I would say yes ,why not ???. The money will help game management in all ways.

boxhitch
06-15-2008, 06:42 AM
The MOE has already stated they consider the Turkey to be an introduced pest, so why legislate anything, including bag limits ??. They should be handled like coyotes, with a good long season too.

ruger#1
06-15-2008, 07:53 AM
As long as the money would go into game management, And not into general revenue. And lets say a toonie for a turkey.

mark
06-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Hmm. for all of you that are saying yes for whatever reason... how about tags for grouse and coyotes too??? Ya lets complicate things a bit more, lets be forced to pay more money to hunt, cuz its way to cheap already?????? Great idea, kill off a few more hunters! Turkey hunting is a realatively new thing to most hunters, and most really dont know what their doing or what to expect for success. I suspect less people would even giver a try if they had to buy a tag that they probably wouldnt fill!!! DUMB IDEA!!!

Poguebilt
06-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Hmm. for all of you that are saying yes for whatever reason... how about tags for grouse and coyotes too??? Ya lets complicate things a bit more, lets be forced to pay more money to hunt, cuz its way to cheap already?????? Great idea, kill off a few more hunters! Turkey hunting is a realatively new thing to most hunters, and most really dont know what their doing or what to expect for success. I suspect less people would even giver a try if they had to buy a tag that they probably wouldnt fill!!! DUMB IDEA!!!

well said Mark....

Kody94
06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
If it was $5 or $10, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If it was more than that I suspect it would probably effect the utilization of the season.

mark
06-15-2008, 11:53 AM
A little more to add to this, I thought tag money is supposed to go towards management and conservation of the species, so dont mind buying a tag for native big game???? Not really an issue with the turks as they are simply invading and populating B.C. Hunters are simply a free tool to control their numbers, A turkey tag would be nothing more than another money grab, hence a stupid idea!

threedhunter
06-15-2008, 12:08 PM
just a quick question here, goat guy, who do you work for?moe?forestry? maybe a ga?as an outsider looking in , i see some stuff going on here that really needs to be stopped. as a hunter in this province, all my life,by the way,all the things we talk about here seem to end up as something that winds up at bcwf convention or fhac meetings, more importantly, they become a hinderance to hunter opportunity, as before, all ideas sound real good when they come at you real fast,but on contemplation, usually after being put in place, they become apparent that said ideas were real bad to begin withand wev'e already lost enough hunters and are having a toughgo at recruiting more.this sort of disussion only scaresprospective hunters away. jmo.threedhunter:evil:

308BAR
06-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I really don't know much about turkey hunting in BC, except that they must have migrated here, they used to be on LEH and now are on GOS.

If the issue is concerns about people killing more than the one turkey they are allowed to kill, then I could see a tag system being introduced, but they are a bird, and I'd only support a free tag for the purposes of record keeping/keeping track that there are not more than one turkey taken, etc. Maybe charge $1 for administration, at the most.

I see no value in making turkey a $15-$20 tag, especially as they are a non native species and clearly there is no conservation issue, as they are now GOS, rather than LEH.

Making turkey a $15-25-$30 tag is pretty silly, IMHO.

X2 Fully agree there should not be a tag for turkey. Non-native/introduces species in BC.

GoatGuy
06-15-2008, 02:11 PM
just a quick question here, goat guy, who do you work for?moe?forestry? maybe a ga?as an outsider looking in , i see some stuff going on here that really needs to be stopped. as a hunter in this province, all my life,by the way,all the things we talk about here seem to end up as something that winds up at bcwf convention or fhac meetings, more importantly, they become a hinderance to hunter opportunity, as before, all ideas sound real good when they come at you real fast,but on contemplation, usually after being put in place, they become apparent that said ideas were real bad to begin withand wev'e already lost enough hunters and are having a toughgo at recruiting more.this sort of disussion only scaresprospective hunters away. jmo.threedhunter:evil:

I'm not the one that wants a turkey tag.

BlacktailStalker
06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
No I wouldnt support it.
Does anyone actually think even remotely close to the amount of $ brought in by tags, licences, leh etc goes directly back into our sport, whether it be enhancement, research or w/e ?
Yeah right.
If that money went strictly towards fighting anti campaigns then sure.
I'd pay for varmint tags towards that too actually.

The Hermit
06-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Nope. But I can see the MOE wanting to earn more revenue. There is a bag limit on them for conservation purposes. The fact that they are birds is irrelevant IMO... we have daily bag limits for ducks and geese too right?

Mik
06-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Absolutely not, it's already been said in many ways....NO,NO and NO.

Mr. Dean
06-16-2008, 03:23 AM
I know nothing about turkeys. IF they're considered "pests", I see no reason for a tag.

But are they?
A leh that has turned gos would seem to be contradictory. LEH and GOS are strong conservation tools.

Pests are gray squirrels and starlings...

The same logic could be applied to ANY species, depending on one's experience.
Countless tags go uncut, for many species, each year.
Hunters have been known to miss out on animals for several seasons in a row.

I'm going to cast a no vote, on the premise of the bird having a GOS and that this "pest" could be used for getting a "following" of hunters - New and old alike.
Then again, I also think Gbears should be GOS also...

I must say; I'd endorse a nominal increase (hunting license) that would go DIRECTLY into the hands of the BCWF for awareness campaigns. Billboards on semi-trailers, TV and radio adds, professional spoke-persons... I'm getting tired of waiting for gov to stand up and show their strategies off, when it comes to hunter recruitment.

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 05:23 AM

Ya took the words right outta my mouth.

hunter1947
06-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Ya took the words right outta my mouth.

Hunters spend thousands of dollars on hunting equipment and the actual hunt ,whats a measly 5 bucks you would spend for a tag for yots ,turkey etc ,just pennies from your pocket. Look at it this way a few pennies that you would spend on these tags if they did impalement would go to a good cause money into the management to help keep us the ones that like to hunt ,keep hunting for EVER. I would be the first person spend a few bucks on a turkey tag if they introduced in having to buy a turkey tag or others for small game animals http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2008, 07:24 AM
No tag.
Bag limit= 5 per day just like grouse.

Thin them out before they take over the world:grin:

SSS

Gateholio
06-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I wonder what the goal of a turkey tag would be?

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 07:33 AM
H47 seems to have no idea what the impediments to recruitment and retention are. Look outside your own little world for a minute and understand what someone else faces. Sure you can afford a turkey tag, but what about a single mom, trying to make ends meet, whose kid wants to try hunting? The more it costs, the less likely we will see that kid out there enjoying the outdoors, period. Putting up barriers to these kids so that established hunters can take advantage of opportunities is NOT the way to go.

It isn't all about YOU and what YOU would/could do Wayne, it's about what is good for the future of hunting and the kids we need to carry on the tradition.

06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Victoria and PHRAAC have already discussed and rejected the idea of a turkey tag so this may be a non-productive discussion.

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Victoria and PHRAAC have already discussed and rejected the idea of a turkey tag so this may be a non-productive discussion.

Goat Guy is just trolling. ;)

Beaverhunter
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I would be more then happy to pay 5 or 10 bucks if was gonna be put back to help the turkey population grow. This year three of us spent 200bucks to go for a weekend what is another 5 bucks.

Elkaholic
06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I am very tied with a group that is for the tag. The prime reason is so that people do not poach ie shoot only 1 bird. The group that is going for the tag, is only asking for a $5-$7 range, and this should would help with more funds for the government to manage wildlife. As for saying because they are non native so they should be exterminated, that is absolutely absurd. There are a few more "well known" species that can be deemed non-native to BC, so should we take this stance on them as well??? I know in the EK there is alot of money put into the economy from turkey hunting.

J_T
06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm of two opinions here.

1) a $5 turkey tag is a small price to pay for a pretty good time.
2) the current regs have a bag limit. If paying for a tag supports the enforcement of the regs, then a tag and a fee are not a bad idea.

If we don't want to manage them by tagging and tabulating, then let's consider a change to the regs.

I love that there is a great hunt that we can do off of our licence without tags.

mark
06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I am very tied with a group that is for the tag. The prime reason is so that people do not poach ie shoot only 1 bird. The group that is going for the tag, is only asking for a $5-$7 range, and this should would help with more funds for the government to manage wildlife. As for saying because they are non native so they should be exterminated, that is absolutely absurd. There are a few more "well known" species that can be deemed non-native to BC, so should we take this stance on them as well??? I know in the EK there is alot of money put into the economy from turkey hunting.

You guys are missing the point, this is a step in the wrong direction!!! This is a "BIRD", no different that a grouse, or ducks and geese! Theres no goose tags to prevent poaching, maybe there should be, hey guys???? Any tag fee, even a small one will reduce opportunity to some people, plain and simple!!! 3 years on GOS and the population seems to be growing and expanding, maybe too much, Im with SSS, up the limit to more than 1 and srcap the bu11$h!t tag idea!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Expanding on Mark's idea....we have no requirement for a wolf tag in BC but we have a provincial bag limit of 3/year.

Honor system seems to work......so far.

SSS

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
last time i hunted turkey in BC I paid 125 bucks for the tag (I was an alberta resident and it was the first year that turkeys were open to non resident canadians)

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 06:51 PM
You guys are missing the point, this is a step in the wrong direction!!! This is a "BIRD", no different that a grouse, or ducks and geese! Theres no goose tags to prevent poaching, maybe there should be, hey guys???? Any tag fee, even a small one will reduce opportunity to some people, plain and simple!!! 3 years on GOS and the population seems to be growing and expanding, maybe too much, Im with SSS, up the limit to more than 1 and srcap the bu11$h!t tag idea!

Yup, yer 100% right Mark. Our regional bio doesn't want them expanding here - they are troublesome animals for game managers.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Yup, yer 100% right Mark. Our regional bio doesn't want them expanding here - they are troublesome animals for game managers.

Turkeys are the number one wildlife complaint species in the state of California.

SSS

Mr. Friendly
06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
CORE teaches you that a huge majority of conservation funding comes from our licenses and tags, so yes, for the sake of ensuring it's something that can be taken without risk to it's population, I would be willing to purchase a tag if the price is reasonable.

edit - Turkey is big game, like waterfowl, which we have to purchase a ticket for. Turkey was an introduced species for hunters in BC (that's what the CORE instructor said anyhow), so if it's going to stay a game bird, it may need to be regulated. of course, if it turns into a pest animal like the Canada Goose (which shouldn't have a limit me thinks) then I'd say Open Season!

boxhitch
06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Turkey is big game, like waterfowl, which we have to purchase a ticket for.
Turkey is game, but like an Upland Bird. We need a license only. currently.

Turkey was an introduced species for hunters in BC
Possibly illegally.
And the loudest voice FOR Turkeys wil be the one that benefits monetarily.

huntwriter
06-16-2008, 08:42 PM
As an avid turkey hunter I would be in favor of a turkey tag (similar to the USA) only if the money generated would be used for the conservation of the wild turkey in British Columbia.

The turkey is not considered “just another bird” like a grouse. It is a game bird with its own status.Neither is the turkey an all introduced species. The first turkeys migrated from across the border to British Columbia and once it was discovered that these magnificent birds thrive here they where helped along with introduced wild stock. For those of you that call them a “pest”, the introduction was done legal with blessing of the B.C. wildlife department.

boxhitch
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
we have no requirement for a wolf tag in BC but we have a provincial bag limit of 3/year.

Thats a joke, too. Not many folk target wolves specifically, wolf numbers need a correction in some areas,and those that want to specialize and be of some benefit, are limited to three.......Sheesh!

boxhitch
06-16-2008, 08:45 PM
The turkey is not considered “just another bird” like a grouse.
Judgeing by the posts here, I'd say the camp is split.

huntwriter
06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Judgeing by the posts here, I'd say the camp is split.
The camp may be split here but important is how the law classifies turkeys. ;-)

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 09:33 PM
For those of you that call them a “pest”, the introduction was done legal with blessing of the B.C. wildlife department.

They introduced mysis shrimp into Okanagan Lake too as a fish food source. The kokanee fishery collapsed because the shrimp and fry compete for food, which subsequently knocked the crap out of the trout who feed on the kokanee. Now, after several million dollars of our licensing money has been spent on trying to eradicate the shrimp, we're recognizing the mistake of introducing foreign species into our ecosystems. :-?

mark
06-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Turkeys are the number one wildlife complaint species in the state of California.

SSS
talk to locals around Creston and Christina lake area, theyre whining about them also, and the turkeys are moving around fast, its only a matter of time! No tag! Higher bag limits!!!! :smile:

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Expanding on Mark's idea....we have no requirement for a wolf tag in BC but we have a provincial bag limit of 3/year.

Honor system seems to work......so far.

SSS
The reason there is no wolf tag coast is because there eating the animals that you and I shoot http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.
A turkey or other game birds don't eat deer ,etchttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 04:03 AM
talk to locals around Creston and Christina lake area, theyre whining about them also, and the turkeys are moving around fast, its only a matter of time! No tag! Higher bag limits!!!! :smile: Tell me this mark where there wild turkeys in the interior regions year back ???. If so what happened to them in the years back ??? I never heard about wild turkeys on the incline till about 5 years ago :roll:.

Elkaholic
06-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Another tidbit that sort of gets me is when the farmers and ranchers complain about too many turkeys. Well there is a chapter of the NWTF here in Cranbrook with all the training necessary to relocate the turkeys off of their land. But they get no support from the government. They flat out say no, so in a way they are causing some of the conflicts. They are here to stay so we are going to have to start managing them as they grow. And if it comes to the point where the bag limit needs a raise go for it.

browningboy
06-17-2008, 07:42 AM
I would have to say no as well, they are an introduced species, they have flourished in lower BC on their own and are growing at a steady pace, and to boot they are upland game birds, why would one want to shell out more money? Ever shoot yourself in the foot too??:lol: I believe they should have a more liberal season on them but not exterminate them as they are a great way to get newbies started in the spring.

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2008, 07:46 AM
The reason there is no wolf tag coast is because there eating the animals that you and I shoot http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.
A turkey or other game birds don't eat deer ,etchttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

No, the turkeys don't eat the deer, but they sure as hell decimate the vegetables that accompany the deer steak! :???:

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 08:32 AM
No, the turkeys don't eat the deer, but they sure as hell decimate the vegetables that accompany the deer steak! :???:
FD yes you are correct with your statement and they do get good and fat eating the vegetation ,it fattens them up so so we hunters that hunt them can put them on the table to eat :lol:.

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2008, 09:03 AM
FD yes you are correct with your statement and they do get good and fat eating the vegetation ,it fattens them up so so we hunters that hunt them can put them on the table to eat :lol:.

Ask the farmers how much extra you are paying for your veggies due to crop depredation. A flock of 50 turkeys can wipe out a farmer's field in short order. Also ask ICBC about the cost of new paint jobs on cars and trucks in the US when they get destroyed by turkey crap. There's a huge hidden cost to taxpayers for having these alien species in our province. People should check out the problems they have in the US with wild turkeys...aka the most popular wildlife complaint species!

huntwriter
06-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Ask the farmers how much extra you are paying for your veggies due to crop depredation. A flock of 50 turkeys can wipe out a farmer's field in short order. Also ask ICBC about the cost of new paint jobs on cars and trucks in the US when they get destroyed by turkey crap. There's a huge hidden cost to taxpayers for having these alien species in our province. People should check out the problems they have in the US with wild turkeys...aka the most popular wildlife complaint species!

Are you on a bandwagon?

In America deer are the number one cause for crop damage and vehicle/wildlife accidents. Next down the list for crop damage in the U.S. and here in Canada are waterfowl.

Car paint damage is lead by inner city pigeons and crows. (Turkeys are a woodland animal and roost close to woodland edges.

It’s okay to hate turkeys but please check the numbers before making wild accusations.:wink:

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Are you on a bandwagon?

In America deer are the number one cause for crop damage and vehicle/wildlife accidents. Next down the list for crop damage in the U.S. and here in Canada are waterfowl.

Car paint damage is lead by inner city pigeons and crows. (Turkeys are a woodland animal and roost close to woodland edges.

It’s okay to hate turkeys but please check the numbers before making wild accusations.:wink:

Do you turkey lovers know better than our regional biologist who consulted with his US counterparts and gave a presentation to us on turkeys and the related problems? He'd love to create easy opportunity for us, but is dead against any population enhancements in region 8 because of the huge problems they create in the States. I didn't say they eat more than deer, and I didn't say they $hit on more cars than pigeons - what I did say is that they are the number one complaint animal in the US. :wink:

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Do you turkey lovers know better than our regional biologist who consulted with his US counterparts and gave a presentation to us on turkeys and the related problems? He'd love to create easy opportunity for us, but is dead against any population enhancements in region 8 because of the huge problems they create in the States. I didn't say they eat more than deer, and I didn't say they $hit on more cars than pigeons - what I did say is that they are the number one complaint animal in the US. :wink:
Fd ,then why have the biologist not done something about this problem before it gets out of hand with the turkeys must be a reason :???: ???.

I think I know the answer ,its because the numbers are still at a low number ,correct me if I am wrong on this statement ???.

They the biologist must know something we don't know in order for the biologist to do nothing about it ???.

When the numbers get to a certain point I'm sure they will have solution to have the numbers reduced by some means of control ???.

Vansmasher
06-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm not saying I'd support it, but I am saying that buying a tag would likely be the way it would go...... who's forcing who???? You don't want to buy one, you don't hunt turkeys...pretty simple. I can't really see where buying one more tag would complicate things a whole lot more.
As far as relating them to grouse and yotes.... there's no relation there because I'd like to think that a yearly bag limit for turkeys would be 2 or 3 max??? I could be wrong though.
Here's one for ya..... in Ontario, turkey hunters are required to take a mandatory turkey hunting course before even buying a licence.... I believe its mostly for sex ID. So buying a tag would be the least of a turkey hunters concerns, the mandatory course will be coming soon.
I not too concerned because I don't think I'd hunt them anyway.

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm not saying I'd support it, but I am saying that buying a tag would likely be the way it would go...... who's forcing who???? You don't want to buy one, you don't hunt turkeys...pretty simple. I can't really see where buying one more tag would complicate things a whole lot more.

And watch hunter numbers contnue to dive as we add another cost to it.

As far as relating them to grouse and yotes.... there's no relation there because I'd like to think that a yearly bag limit for turkeys would be 2 or 3 max??? I could be wrong though.
Here's one for ya..... in Ontario, turkey hunters are required to take a mandatory turkey hunting course before even buying a licence.... I believe its mostly for sex ID. So buying a tag would be the least of a turkey hunters concerns, the mandatory course will be coming soon.
I not too concerned because I don't think I'd hunt them anyway.

It doesn't affect you directly, so who cares whether it is another hurdle for the other guy, especially a family looking to get into hunting? It's not about you.

Vansmasher
06-17-2008, 11:59 AM
maybe I'm missing something here, but if hunters don't want the extra cost, don't buy a tag and don't hunt turkeys!! Buy a deer tag for $15 and shoot a deer, way more meat for your dollar.
And come on now..... if a family of avid hunters are actually avid hunters, is a turkey tag going to really break them???? Most of us don't hunt because its a cheap way to fill the freezer.... we all know it isn't. We hunt because we love to hunt and we're willing to pay the price.

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2008, 01:53 PM
maybe I'm missing something here, but if hunters don't want the extra cost, don't buy a tag and don't hunt turkeys!! Buy a deer tag for $15 and shoot a deer, way more meat for your dollar.
And come on now..... if a family of avid hunters are actually avid hunters, is a turkey tag going to really break them???? Most of us don't hunt because its a cheap way to fill the freezer.... we all know it isn't. We hunt because we love to hunt and we're willing to pay the price.

Obviously, you haven't read the recruitment and retention studies done as to why the numbers of hunters have declined precipitously. The cost of hunting is a major deterrent to both new and established hunters. I suppose you like the fact that all those folks have given up/chosen not to try it out, so that you don't have other people in the bush where you hunt?

huntwriter
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
... - what I did say is that they are the number one complaint animal in the US. :wink:

You see that is just not true, at least not according to what the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services report. The afore mentioned Service is for me the only unbiased agency where I can find information. The number one ”problem” critter in America is the deer followed by waterfowl.

Biologists are prone to use biased information, depending who they have to please or who signs their paychecks.;) Been there done that and didn't like it.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-17-2008, 02:30 PM
You see that is just not true, at least not according to what the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services report. The afore mentioned Service is for me the only unbiased agency where I can find information. The number one ”problem” critter in America is the deer followed by waterfowl.

Biologists are prone to use biased information, depending who they have to please or who signs their paychecks.;) Been there done that and didn't like it.

Actually, the info I heard was that they were then number one wildlife complaint in the State of California.......not the entire US. F/d's memory is getting as bad as mine:???:.

SSS

Vansmasher
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Obviously, you haven't read the recruitment and retention studies done as to why the numbers of hunters have declined precipitously. The cost of hunting is a major deterrent to both new and established hunters. I suppose you like the fact that all those folks have given up/chosen not to try it out, so that you don't have other people in the bush where you hunt?
hey FD its me again.... I'll be the first one to agree that the price of hunting is a complete joke. Not to mention the price a person has to pay to fish (ie. classified waters, salmon tag, steelhead tag, etc). The gov wants us to believe that it all goes back into conservation..... thats another thread altogether. I bitch everytime I have to tag up.

People have to make choices, choices they can afford. If a turkey tag was implemented, I would likely choose not to buy one just like now I choose not to buy a bear tag.... I used to faithfully. I just don't enjoy it enough now to justify spending the money to do it, I'd rather spend my time and money on an elk hunt for example.
And.... where I usually hunt (central interior), one would never know that hunter numbers have declined.... how many people do you know come up to PG to hunt moose?? I'll hunt moose here if I get LEH, if not.... I'll usually go where there's more moose and less people.
Don't get me wrong..... I'm all for new hunter recuits, I'm actually working on converting a couple buddies... however with the price of everything going up.... its inevitable that there will be less.

Its a good thing people have different views and opinions or this site would suck...:smile:

huntwriter
06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Actually, the info I heard was that they were then number one wildlife complaint in the State of California.......not the entire US. F/d's memory is getting as bad as mine:???:.

SSS

Ah, California! That’s a different story. California has a suburban turkey problem with birds going into people’s backyards to eat flowers and shit on cars. Turkeys are hugely overpopulated in California. That state is a prime example of what can happen if you put animal rights and third rate Austrian Hollywood movie stars (Schwarzenegger) in charge of wildlife management that outlaw turkey hunting in suburban areas.:roll:

mark
06-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Tell me this mark where there wild turkeys in the interior regions year back ???. If so what happened to them in the years back ??? I never heard about wild turkeys on the incline till about 5 years ago :roll:.

No Wayne, there was no turkeys in the interior years ago, but there is now! they were mainly concentrated in areas around Creston, they've since populated quite well all along the US/CAN border from Osoyoos to alberta! Belive me or not but my hunting buddy seen one along the breaks of the fraser west of clinton while sheep hunting last year!

Vansmasher you kind of contradict yerself in your posts, and your only thinking of self also. The bottom line is implimenting a tag, and another fee, will reduce opportunity to some. I can afford a turkey tag or ten or more, but some cant, and why, why, why should there even be one????? It falls in the upland game birds classification, plain and simple!

Im pretty displeased with the number of people who say they would support it! :mad:

boxhitch
06-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Im pretty displeased with the number of people who say they would support it! :mad:Likewise.
If you really want to spend more, for HCTF benefit, buy a grizz tag $80, or a Bison $70. More benefit there.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-17-2008, 07:22 PM
talk to locals around Creston and Christina lake area, theyre whining about them also, and the turkeys are moving around fast, its only a matter of time! No tag! Higher bag limits!!!! :smile:

ya talk to the locals .. they whine but there is not alot of land access around there

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Im pretty displeased with the number of people who say they would support it! :mad:

Me too. Those who would support it likely want to chase other hunters off "their" turf by putting as many barriers as possible in the way for new or financially disadvantaged hunters. They just don't get it. :???:

300H&H
06-17-2008, 07:48 PM
If I HAD to pay for a tag...$5.00 is the most. After that I would no longer go hunting for them. This would be another step away from hunting.

But why would we have a tag ? We don't for grouse/doves/quail !!! I think it is just another money grab. I would like them (MOE) to show us how our money would improve turkey hunting. As far as relocating the birds let fish & game clubs do it with MOE guidence.

300H&H
06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
[quote=mark;294128]No Wayne, there was no turkeys in the interior years ago, but there is now! they were mainly concentrated in areas around Creston, they've since populated quite well all along the US/CAN border from Osoyoos to alberta! Belive me or not but my hunting buddy seen one along the breaks of the fraser west of clinton while sheep hunting last year!

Some info for everyone...

I was talking to a local native (indian) whos grandfather lived around Tulameen (I think I spelled that wrong) in the early 1900's. He told stories of seeing turkeys way back then. Noooo he was not hopped up on firewater but he did feed his family by trapping & hunting.

Things change over the years. Just like there was NO white tail in BC years & years ago. Just mule deer & other ungulates.

hunter1947
06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
No Wayne, there was no turkeys in the interior years ago, but there is now! they were mainly concentrated in areas around Creston, they've since populated quite well all along the US/CAN border from Osoyoos to alberta! Belive me or not but my hunting buddy seen one along the breaks of the fraser west of clinton while sheep hunting last year!

Vansmasher you kind of contradict yerself in your posts, and your only thinking of self also. The bottom line is implimenting a tag, and another fee, will reduce opportunity to some. I can afford a turkey tag or ten or more, but some cant, and why, why, why should there even be one????? It falls in the upland game birds classification, plain and simple!

I proubly never would hunt turkey Mark
The lines I am thinking on is it would help the wildlife funds out .
Then if the turkeys get overpopulated then have open season not requiring a tag.

They are the heaviest weight of all game birds.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Then if the turkeys get overpopulated then have open season not requiring a tag.

That's where we are today (in many areas).

Of the guys that I know that chased gooblers this spring not too many had problems "tagging" out. Of course, that's just anncedotal evidence;).

SSS

hunter1947
06-18-2008, 06:44 AM
That's where we are today (in many areas).

Of the guys that I know that chased gooblers this spring not too many had problems "tagging" out. Of course, that's just anncedotal evidence;).

SSS I have hunted the EK for a long time and not once have I seen a turkey in my area ,the only places I have seen a few is in the bottom lands when hunting elk. I'm sure that there is a 50 ,50 split on populations in BC regions on population numbers.

Has anyone got the numbers for the population of turkeys in different regions in BC ???. I don't have a clue ???.

CanuckShooter
06-18-2008, 07:19 AM

About 5 or 6 years ago I was deer hunting west of Williams Lake in the vincinity of Sheep Creek Hill[on the ridge overlooking the Fraser].....and I saw a wild turkey.....so I believe you Mark.

sealevel
06-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Some of the old FG clubs like armstrong released turkeys in the late sixties rite though into the eighties. I saw one close to falkland in 1973.

there is still one small flock that i know of left from all they released

Seeadler
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Some info for everyone...

I was talking to a local native (indian) whos grandfather lived around Tulameen (I think I spelled that wrong) in the early 1900's. He told stories of seeing turkeys way back then. Noooo he was not hopped up on firewater but he did feed his family by trapping & hunting.

Things change over the years. Just like there was NO white tail in BC years & years ago. Just mule deer & other ungulates.

I have also heard tales of turkeys in the Kootenays way back when.

When did whitetails supposedly make it too BC? The B&C book has an entry in the non-typical section from 1905.