PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory bow hunter education

GoatGuy
06-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Would you support a mandatory bow hunter education course before being able to go bow hunting?

Wildfoot
06-15-2008, 12:26 AM
sure, it wouldn't hurt. but it could be cost-prohibitive to new archers. Maybe a larger part of CORE could be dedicated to bowhunting, since all hunters already have to pay for CORE.

After I took CORE, and a little practice, I felt confident with firearms; but, I had to learn quite a bit before I went out bowhunting.

Also, more education about bowhunting in CORE may help change the perception among people that bowhunting is inhumane and results in wounded game, or slow deaths.

daycort
06-15-2008, 12:45 AM
GG,

Long nite hey? going through a dry spell?? Are ya lookin for a fight between fellow HBC'ers??

This questions comes up all the time. Don't people believe that we are good shots with are bows??

When you are done with the CORE course do you have to prove yourself with a bullseye 5 shot group from a 300 win mag, before you get your hunter # ????.

Education nevers hurts, but don't make it impossible...

Mr. Dean
06-15-2008, 12:51 AM
As long as one could challenge the test, I would

Gateholio
06-15-2008, 02:35 AM
I think more training and practice in *any* field is a good thing, but I don't think we should mandate bowhunters to take a unless we are willing to make rifle hunters take a mandatory course on how to shoot rifles and shot placement. And to do that would cost far too much, take up more valuable time, and kill any recruitment. (They already need to do PAL, CORE, buy a rifle, learn to shoot it etc) Why make it harder?

Introducing a mandatory course for bowhunters is just going to put up ANOTHER roadblock to hunters getting into hunting...

Provide information, give the resources to find a bow course, sure. But make things mandatory will just make existing hunters that want to use a bow, NOT try it out, and will put one more layer of challenge for a new hunter that wants to bow hunt.

No win/win that I can see...

hunter1947
06-15-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm all for everyone that is going to hunt animals with ether a x bow or compound take some kind of course befor they can hunt animals.

You would learn what your limits are + or - things you can do and not do in this course.

sealevel
06-15-2008, 06:03 AM
No if someone is willing to take the course fine. But to make it mandatory no way it will just put another road block for new hunters.

islandboy
06-15-2008, 06:23 AM
No. There is not a "rifle hunting course". There is already a general hunting and safety course, CORE. It is not weapon specific. Do I think hunters should get courses in their chosen weapon? Yes. Gun clubs, military, and police agencies train people well in the use of guns. Archery clubs also tend to be a good source of training and peer review.

Another mandatory course in our ever increasing nanny state. No, having passed a test is not a sign of competency or responsibility. That is shown on a daily basis.

06-15-2008, 06:32 AM
No, absolutely not.........the basic education is covered in the core program and the last thing we need as hunters is more "mandatory" any thing. Optional.......yes, legislated.......no! Every time the government thinks for us, we loose more of our freedoms. When an issue such as this becomes mandatory the default position is that we CAN'T enjoy that activity unless we have the "get out of jail free card" which is yet another frigging license, or what others would call another tax....and its always the same theme..........in the name of safety.
Most people getting into archery quickly realize, that it take certain amount of skill to become proficient, more rules and regs governing our actions aren't the answer.

bsa30-06
06-15-2008, 06:33 AM
well there was a thread on here awhile pack about this , that had some good idea's and discossion lets hope this one can do the same and not get locked before the end of the day.To answer the question more education is always a good thing,but i'm against making it MANDATORY.

boxhitch
06-15-2008, 06:34 AM
The Core course should cover the importance of proper shot placement and suitable killing technique and morals already, with any implement. If this is drilled home, then the hunter is aware of what is proper. What he chooses to do, how he does it is a personal decision.

Then shooter proficiency enters. If abilitys are to be tested, it would have to be across the board, too. There are many poor rifle shooters out there.

It is impossible to dictate that a shooter make the best shot. It will be up to the individual behind the trigger of whatever gear, to make the choice.

Ethics and Morals. We all have them, just at differnet levels.

hunter1947
06-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Look at it this way a lot of new hunters that get into hunting with a bow don't know there limitations with using a bow ,lots just go out buy one shoot it in for a few weeks and think they are pros.

They go out and shoot at an animal and wound it not knowing what the limits where.

With a gun you usually don't miss an animal anywhere from 30 feet out to 200 yards because when you zero it in at the range the bullet grouping is not going to be more the 3 inches out at these distance ,so you would not have to know your distances in order to shoot with a gun ,but the bow is an entirely different story.

With a bow so many thing can go wrong and its the animal that takes it at the end. That's why I am favor of a course.

sealevel
06-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Wayne those are rifle hunters taking advantage of bow only seasons. How about the rifle hunters who come to the range on aug.25th take two shots off the bench then go hunting...they couldn`t hit a car offhand at a 100yds. If bowhunters have to take a mandatory course so should rifle hunters.

springpin
06-15-2008, 07:34 AM
If a course is mandatory for bows then make one mandatory for riffles.

horshur
06-15-2008, 08:08 AM
the definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

A manditory bowhunting course will do what the manditory firearms, trapping, and hunting courses have done.....discourage participation.

steel_ram
06-15-2008, 08:19 AM
There's lots of experienced rifle hunters on this very forum that have openly admitted to taking less than perfect shot and lost game. Why pick on archers. A general shooting competency test, as in Sweden might not be a bad idea.

hunter1947
06-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Wayne those are rifle hunters taking advantage of bow only seasons. How about the rifle hunters who come to the range on aug.25th take two shots off the bench then go hunting...they couldn`t hit a car offhand at a 100yds. If bowhunters have to take a mandatory course so should rifle hunters. Sealeavel I'm proubly wrong on my thoughts on this course issue for bow ,but its my opinion and everyone is entitled to there's http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

dana
06-15-2008, 09:07 AM
GG,
You are a Hypocrite. You talk about hunter recruitment and you talk about hunter's being their worst enemies and yet you are the worst enemy of all. You constantly try to pit one group against another group. For some reason you have something up your craw concerning bowhunters. Look at yourself in the mirror buddy. You want hunter recruitment, you better learn to accept others of different thinking than you.

Deaddog
06-15-2008, 09:14 AM
HMMM, I know GG fairly well, certainly my impression is vastly different than yours Dana, that said, I do not support any type of mandatory training/programs for bowhunters, to have a course available for those who choose to take it would be great.

boatdoc
06-15-2008, 09:36 AM
More rules and regulations BLAH BLAH BLAH. I for one am sick and tired of some dumb ass beuracrat telling me what i can and can't do. I'm also tired of us hunters whining about what or how other hunters chose to hunt. There will always be wounding loss with bows or guns.
The stupid people will never learn no matter how many courses they have to take.

mark
06-15-2008, 10:00 AM
As others have implied, anything "mandatory" will kill off participants! It should be encouraged though! Ive taken several deer with my bow, but far from a bow junky or guru, Id like to take a course to improve my knowledge and skills but dont even know where I can do so where I live???

horshur
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
GG,
You are a Hypocrite. You talk about hunter recruitment and you talk about hunter's being their worst enemies and yet you are the worst enemy of all. You constantly try to pit one group against another group. For some reason you have something up your craw concerning bowhunters. Look at yourself in the mirror buddy. You want hunter recruitment, you better learn to accept others of different thinking than you.

Steve if these are the bowhunters proposals...I am reading between the lines here...then they say alot about the organized bowhunters.
I would not want to be identified with any of those proposals.

I wonder what happened to the idea of youth draw wieghts for small game????

But I agree that it has very little to do with hunters....whomever puts for proposals such as these is " Anti Hunter" and there is plenty of precident to prove it. If you don't learn from history...doomed to repeat it.

dana
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
GG has a history of constantly slamming bowhunters and GO's. If this thread was somehow a tongue in cheek tread, GG hasn't done well in getting that across. His past history has painted him as being 'Anti-Bowhunter'. For one that talks as much as he about hunters needing to join together and stand united, he doesn't lead by example. Oh, but this is the internet. The Recruitment Camp can do as they please, slamming fellow hunters, and it doesn't affect real life now does it?

scembalf
06-15-2008, 11:02 AM
This is ridiculous what next a pocket knife course madatory, come on guys we all learned at sometime how to hunt, passed on to us or being self taught with the core course.I for one have just put my 12 year old son in the core course and he passed it we hunt with both a bow and a rifle so it is up to us to educate and teach. We all know what are limits are . If someone chooses to bowhunt with no practice or education He or She has still had to take the core program and there is no difference with there first animal being taken with a lousy rife shot or a bad arrow placement furthermore you are getting much more close and personal with an archery taken animal. Once again they all have to learn sometime so rather than be a hater lets teach them.

Kody94
06-15-2008, 11:03 AM
I am not an advocate of increasing mandatory education. I am an advocate of providing education, and improving what is already mandatory.

Goatguy...what's your opinion?

GoatGuy
06-15-2008, 11:11 AM
If you guys think I'm the want that wants mandatory bowhunter education you're out to lunch.

GoatGuy
06-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I am not an advocate of increasing mandatory education. I am an advocate of providing education, and improving what is already mandatory.

Goatguy...what's your opinion?

voluntary additional education is great, mandatory is not.

CORE should focus on safe gun handling, shot placement and identification. A quick blurb on ethics is fine but highly unlikely to change what hunters are going to do in the field. After that it's up to the individual to pursue more education should they wish. Hunting's a peer taught activity not something that's taught in a classroom.

bushguy
06-15-2008, 11:21 AM
More rules and regulations BLAH BLAH BLAH. I for one am sick and tired of some dumb ass beuracrat telling me what i can and can't do. I'm also tired of us hunters whining about what or how other hunters chose to hunt. There will always be wounding loss with bows or guns.
The stupid people will never learn no matter how many courses they have to take.

ditto,,,,boat course,core course,trapping course,license for this,license for that,,,and on and on,mandatory this n' that.I think we are way over regulated already.The world will never be perfect,I think we need to live with that. Insurance,special licenses,permits,good gawd when does it end?Think I'll take the kid out on the 4 wheeler and go fishing on a classified water for steelhead,maybe take my rifle in case I see a nice bear,gotta fuel up,stop at timmies,buy a tag,grab my registration cert,hunter number,dang is bear still open?,its getting wwwaaayyyyy too complicated to do much .No wonder hunter numbers are down.Not rocket science eh?So,,,,,NO to the bowhunter course.Yes I'm ranting.

threedhunter
06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
jfyi, ibep is available through the bc archery association.ted kennedy, or ron ostermier are instructors. the courses are 50 dollars.if you want one, go to bcarchery association web site and get thier phone#or email addy and contact them soon.threedhunter:lol: . as far as mandatory education goes, as a core instructor, i make a pamphlet up that shows proper shot placement on big game.as for archery peaple(learners) i stress that the bow is a close distance tool only, never a mid or long shot tool. crossbows even shorter than compound bows. yup i opened a door. xbow proponents will quikly jump on that statement and saythey shoot regularly at 100 yards and put 5 outa5 in a paint can lid at that distance. bully on ya, animals deserve better than a wounding shot. i practise regularly at 150 yds with my compound bow, but will not take a shot at an animal beyond 40 yds. to many variables involved.just my opinion.:lol:

Phreddy
06-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah right! Another mandatory course. What about mandatory slingshot, pocket knife and rock throwing courses. I'll retire to bedlam.
Bet you can guess what my vote was in this poll.

The Hermit
06-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I do not want to see a separate mandatory bowhunting course. I do support and encourage all bowhunters to voluntarily take the IBEP course. I would also like there to be some more information about archery tackle in the CORE course.

Mik
06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
And add yet another fee to hunting, 'cause thats what will probably happen.......No. I believe anyone that gets into hunting ,with a bow,will try to first educate themselves before going out into the field.

As a side note, many,many years ago when I bought my first bow from Boormans(in New West), they gave a lesson and followed up with many pointers until I was happy:D

Mr. Dean
06-16-2008, 04:26 AM
My thoughts are on a target that is signed off by an approved range warden... Something simple, for ANY weapon... SOMETHING that gets people involved w/ a club.

hunter1947
06-16-2008, 05:43 AM
And add yet another fee to hunting, 'cause thats what will probably happen.......No. I believe anyone that gets into hunting ,with a bow,will try to first educate themselves before going out into the field.

As a side note, many,many years ago when I bought my first bow from Boormans(in New West), they gave a lesson and followed up with many pointers until I was happy:D

Being told how to do something and then actually doing it out in the field are two different things :roll:.

trapperdan2061
06-16-2008, 06:15 AM
No, but you better be careful the anti's can see this site and the fact that a conversation is happening in their eyes could be saying that even hunters think that they are not good enough to be hunting and here we go let's ban bow hunting will be on their lips and we as hunters are providing them with the bullets......

steel_ram
06-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Generally, those that take up the bow are pretty serious about taking the time in learning the capabilities of their equipment and themselves. You aren't going to see a bowhuntering shooting down a logging road at dusk at some out of range moose.

It's those that try to make shortcuts, to try to take advantage of the special area's and season that can cause problems, such as some of those that pick up cross bows a week before the season starts.

J_T
06-16-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm not a fan of mandatory anything really. That goes for mandatory bowhunter education.

Having said that, I do agree that skill development can enhance ones enjoyment of any activity.

I support increasing the availability of bowhunter education.

Look at it this way a lot of new hunters that get into hunting with a bow don't know there limitations with using a bow ,lots just go out buy one shoot it in for a few weeks and think they are pros.

They go out and shoot at an animal and wound it not knowing what the limits where.This is a good point. The key when bowhunting, is knowing when "not" to take a shot. IBEP can help.

I also think that under the right circumstances we should remove CORE from a mandatory requirement for a first time hunter.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2008, 07:18 AM
You want to recruit people into your sport/activity....remove barriers.

Put up new ones= lose recruits.

Simple as that.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I support increasing the availability of bowhunter education.

Sounds like a good idea Jim. Do TBBC and UBBC have an action plan in place to do this yet?

I also think that under the right circumstances we should remove CORE from a mandatory requirement for a first time hunter.

What would be the right circumstances?

J_T
06-16-2008, 08:09 AM
FD
Regarding the IBEP skill development. The UBBC and BCAA are committed to increasing the number of instructors right now. Resurrecting the old ones, and establishing a current and qualified list of instructors around BC.

Regarding my comment on CORE. Much is said about our ethics being ingrained into us. And that a course doesn't change our ethical standing and the decisions we will make. But education provides us with skills to make better decisions. So I find myself asking, then what is CORE doing for our young people in a classroom, that a "field trip" under the right circumstances isn't going to do?

I find in my ongoing discussions with young people today, CORE is a barrier to getting them out quickly (IE kids today, want it today. We have to shift our thinking to accomodate). I'm not sure what the right set of circumstances are. Maybe a "qualified" adult (we would need to define qualified) that would be responsible for the youth, in the presence of the youth at all times. A set of rules. (must take youth to range and shoot gun before going afield to shoot animal)

I don't have the answers. Understanding the problem/issue is first, and I know kids today are not picking up the gun, because to get to that point takes a lot of work. They want it easy. So can we accomodate that and still get what we need (education for youth) out of it.

(By the way, I bought a Detroit hat the other day)

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 09:12 AM
(By the way, I bought a Detroit hat the other day)

Atta boy, another recruit! :biggrin:

At the very least, if we can get PAL and CORE integrated, it will be a huge step forward.

Ambush
06-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Driving the wedge again eh?
We already have a mandatory [gun/bow] hunting course!! It's called CORE.
What people do after passing is up to them.
The same slob that takes 600 yard shots with a rifle:
.. is the same slob that would take 250 yard shots with a muzzle loader:
.. is the same slob that would take 90 yard shots with a compound:
.. is the same slob that would take 60 yard shots with a traditional bow.
It's not whats in your HAND that makes you good or bad; it's what's in your HEAD!!
You cannot legislate morality.
And before you start, yes, we all know a neighbour, who's uncle's friend's, half brother's boss does it all the time. Well I got a news flash for you. That buck, on the dead run, that he shot in the eye at 700 yards while balanced on one foot? He wasn't aiming for the the eye. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

PS: I purposely left out crossbows, because that would REALLY get some anti's panties in a twist. No, I don't own a crossbow.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

06-16-2008, 09:48 AM
FD
I find in my ongoing discussions with young people today, CORE is a barrier to getting them out quickly (IE kids today, want it today. We have to shift our thinking to accomodate). I'm not sure what the right set of circumstances are.

About a year ago I was involved in a discussion with a mountain bike club who wanted a specific area closed to hunting due to preceived safety reasons.

I researched hunting accidents involving guns and bows and found out that the rate of accidents has declined from an average of 13 per year in BC to .33 per year since the hunter eductaion program started. Approximatelly one in 12 accidents resulted in a fatality (statistics Canada). CORE has been a huge success and hunting is now one of the safest activities. We have to be very careful when considering making any exceptions to the requirement for CORE.

There already is a provision for Jr. hunters to participate under close supervision before they take the CORE course.

06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
The most important thing is that all forms of hunter education (CORE or IBEP), whether they're mandatory or not, are readily available at a reasonable cost.

It has been well documented that CORE graduates dropped off 80% following the removal of CORE from the school system in BC.

islandboy
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I find in my ongoing discussions with young people today, CORE is a barrier to getting them out quickly (IE kids today, want it today. We have to shift our thinking to accomodate).

This way of "satisfying" young people is a social problem I hope we do not ever entertain in the hunting fraternity. At what point are we going to teach the youth of today that it takes effort, sometimes failure, and more effort to do/have something that is actually worthwhile? This "demanding" generation is in real need of a wake up call as to how to value themselves much less value what they have. Never facing and overcoming a challenge is a recipe for problems in the field. :mad:

Before you take aim at my attitude both my children have thanked me for giving them a sense of worth and ability by not making things easy for them. :cool:

Wildman
06-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I think that there should be a bigger part in the CORE about hunting with bows. As far as having an additional course...no.

OOBuck
06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
NO, if your not efficient enough with a bow you shouldn't be shooting in the first place, same goes for a firearm. Should there be a mandatory firearms shooting course, I've seen some guys that can't hit squat with a rifle!

Anyone who doesn't make sure he capable of shooting and killing an animal quickly does every hunter a great dis-service, bow or gun.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2008, 03:55 PM
NO, if your not efficient enough with a bow you shouldn't be shooting in the first place, same goes for a firearm. Should there be a mandatory firearms shooting course, I've seen some guys that can't hit squat with a rifle!

Anyone who doesn't make sure he capable of shooting and killing an animal quickly does every hunter a great dis-service, bow or gun.

Great...another MANDATORY course.:roll:
Kill of hunting even quicker!!:-x

SSS

OOBuck
06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Great...another MANDATORY course.:roll:
Kill of hunting even quicker!!:-x

SSS

you might want to re-read my post....

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
NO ... I do beleive that maybe we should have a manditory Mentor for all new hunters regardless of weapon ... for at least 1 season

The Core in humble opinion was a joke ...I really could care less that it took 20 of these little lead balls to make a pound and thats how the 20 gauge shot gun got its name

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
you might want to re-read my post....

My apologies for mis-reading your post. I thought you wanted a mandatory shooting course for rifles. Now I see your post starts with the word "No".

Again, my apologies.

SSS

OOBuck
06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
My apologies for mis-reading your post. I thought you wanted a mandatory shooting course for rifles. Now I see your post starts with the word "No".

Again, my apologies.

SSS

ok don't let it happen again!!:-D:-D

The whole idea is be proficient with your weapon........

BCLongshot
06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Ya mandatory for the magnum 500m head shot crowd !!!

Mr. Friendly
06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
are there any programs in BC that you can take to teach you how to shoot a rifle or a bow? I know Silvercore has something for handguns, but they don't have anything on how to become a true Rifleman...Rifleperson or whatever you become when you're efficient with a rifle. LOL!

huntwriter
06-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I think this was already discussed here somewhere.

Mandatory Bowhunter Education??? I don’t think so!!!!

Haven’t we not already too much “education”? Hunting must be the most regulated and education pending privileges of all recreational activities. No wonder we struggle to maintain our numbers and gain new members. In fact, studies have shown that mandatory education is the number one deterrent for new hunters.

To gain and maintain our numbers we want to make hunting easier not throw more hurdles in the way that are nothing more than PC cosmetics.

The Hermit
06-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think I know any hunters, bow or rifle, that wants a mandatory course. I have heard rumor that some CO's believe that this would be a good thing because they believe it would reduce wounding. If perception really is reality then we owe it to ourselves to encourage all bow hunters, and rifle hunter's for that matter to take a course, practice a lot, and to think about their shots!

The Hermit
06-17-2008, 12:07 AM
voluntary additional education is great, mandatory is not.

CORE should focus on safe gun handling, shot placement and identification. A quick blurb on ethics is fine but highly unlikely to change what hunters are going to do in the field. After that it's up to the individual to pursue more education should they wish. Hunting's a peer taught activity not something that's taught in a classroom.

The only part of your post that I would challenge is the notion that "CORE should focus on safe gun handling, shot placement and identification." Did you mean to exclude information on legal archery tackle?

I think safety, shot placement, and identification are equally important topics for bowhunters and should also definitely be included in CORE. Recognition of the special considerations around using archery tackle would be useful information for all newbies as they might well pick up a bow or cross bow some day and should have the rudimentary appreciation for the limits of the gear.

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 03:04 AM
The only part of your post that I would challenge is the notion that "CORE should focus on safe gun handling, shot placement and identification." Did you mean to exclude information on legal archery tackle?

I think safety, shot placement, and identification are equally important topics for bowhunters and should also definitely be included in CORE. Recognition of the special considerations around using archery tackle would be useful information for all newbies as they might well pick up a bow or cross bow some day and should have the rudimentary appreciation for the limits of the gear.
I agree with you on all what you just said hermit http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 03:35 AM
The one thing that happens when there is a poor shot placement on a bow is that when you are not quit close enough to your animal the shooter will shoot at the animal causing a misplaced shot in some cases.

Say you have a bow and you are out hunting a bull elk the bow hunter is green ,you are calling this elk ,this elk comes busting in on you ,you are all excited ,this bull holds up at about 60 to 70 yards so the hunter takes a shot anyways. Bad news there's sure to be a wound on this animal this is not aimed at an experienced bow hunter but at a newbie.

Another thing that happens is the shooter will shot at an animal in some cases that does not allow for a proper shot. A bullet when hitting an animal explodes when it hits the target ,a arrow cuts when it hit the target.

You can be a little out of the kill zone with a gun and in most cases you will put down the animal ,but with a arrow if you are out of the kill zone in most cases it results in a wound.

What I would like to see when a new hunter takes a hunter training course is a few things on what the limits are with a compound or a x bow ,having a small section on bow would not hurt at all.

When I challenged my test years back I don't recall there was one thing on the test about bows ,why rifles and not bows ,they both kill??? :roll:.

O ya I bought a x bow last year and I am a newbie bow hunter.

calvin L
06-17-2008, 06:24 AM
GG,

Dana all I see is a question beeing asked ! It seem's imho that you may have a small problem with GG ?

I am a bow hunter first and for most , Saying that doesn't mean I don't pick up a gun . There should be course's out there one can take if they wish to . As for making it mandatory I would not like to see this . I have had the chance to take the ibep course before but work got in the way . If we
do get a mandatory course I will take it because of being a bow hunter . But I will also be trying to make a course for all weapon types .

calvin L

06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I think this guy could use a mandatory bow hunter education course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j8a_epFbs&feature=related

hunter1947
06-18-2008, 06:53 AM

This clipping really put chills up my back bone.

This person should not even be around a bow or a rifle when he has been drinking ,I wounder how many hunter are under the influence of drugs or alcohol when out in the bush hunting http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif ???.

CanuckShooter
06-18-2008, 07:13 AM
This clipping really put chills up my back bone.

This person should not even be around a bow or a rifle when he has been drinking ,I wounder how many hunter are under the influence of drugs or alcohol when out in the bush hunting http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif ???.

In my experience there are very few hunters out in the bush under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

hunter1947
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
In my experience there are very few hunters out in the bush under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
There is a few out there I saw a couple of them last year when we were up moose hunting ,two rifles sticking out both windows and a smoke in there mouth ,with a can of beer between there legs ,there out there ,not many but they are there.

huntwriter
06-18-2008, 08:40 PM

This guy is drunk as a skunk. There are very few like him and I do not think that mandatory hunter education would make any difference with people like him. A 2 x 4 application might make a difference.:D

chilcotin hillbilly
06-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Education is good but it doesn't make anybody a better shot. People that bowhunt require more consitent practise. Chances are they don't take anymore stupid shots then rifle hunters. Many hunters are guilty of trying to long of shots or shots on running game that they have no business taking. Education should come in the field with experianced hunters taking new hunters and being there from stalk to field dressing and caping.Not sitting in a classroom.

Fisher-Dude
06-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Education is good but it doesn't make anybody a better shot. People that bowhunt require more consitent practise. Chances are they don't take anymore stupid shots then rifle hunters. Many hunters are guilty of trying to long of shots or shots on running game that they have no business taking. Education should come in the field with experianced hunters taking new hunters and being there from stalk to field dressing and caping.Not sitting in a classroom.

I'd like to hear chevy's thoughts on this post. 8-)

BTW, I agree with hillbilly. Education/mentorship is key!

Nooker77
06-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I think more training and practice in *any* field is a good thing, but I don't think we should mandate bowhunters to take a unless we are willing to make rifle hunters take a mandatory course on how to shoot rifles and shot placement. And to do that would cost far too much, take up more valuable time, and kill any recruitment. (They already need to do PAL, CORE, buy a rifle, learn to shoot it etc) Why make it harder?

Introducing a mandatory course for bowhunters is just going to put up ANOTHER roadblock to hunters getting into hunting...

Provide information, give the resources to find a bow course, sure. But make things mandatory will just make existing hunters that want to use a bow, NOT try it out, and will put one more layer of challenge for a new hunter that wants to bow hunt.

No win/win that I can see...
WELL said...what happened to our FREE country...I know we have all missed or wounded game with the smoke pole...thats why its hunting..not KILLING! Shit happens!! If you dont now when to shoot or not to shoot with the bow or gun then no course is going to help you! Its just common sense isn't it!
cheers

Sharkey
06-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Would support a course on how to use one properly - would be no different than the PAL, just with a bow instead of a rifle or shotgun. Mind you - I don't often hear of bow accidents....