PDA

View Full Version : Use of quads

GoatGuy
06-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Do you believe the use of quads should be limited?

BCrams
06-15-2008, 12:27 AM
No, I don't.

With exception of sensitive areas such as alpine, riparian habitat and others as identified sensitive (strongly against the use of quads in these areas).

I don't own a quad, never hunted with a quad, but we need to remove some existing rules to enable hunters the opportunity for success however they wish to use them such as the 7a morning quad restrictions.

With the price of gas, I can only imagine more and more hunters will turn to quads for mobility on the back roads vs their trucks.

BigBanger
06-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I own a quad and i think i should be able to do what i want with it .

daycort
06-15-2008, 12:38 AM
quads can be used without damage to the enviroment. people just need to know there limits.

Horses are the best back country cruiser. quads are a important piece of equipment for most hunters.

Mr. Dean
06-15-2008, 12:50 AM
If a road goes through, any means of transportation should be permitted.

Gateholio
06-15-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm firmly in the #4 option

Quads can cause tremendous damage in riparian and alpine areas, as well as the sound of a quad in some areas is sorta offensive!

I don't own a quad, but every spring bear season I want one.

Quads should be used on existing roads, skidder tracks and trails, but should keep them out of the alpine and riparian areas. What time of day they are used is irrelevant to me, as long as they stay out of sensitive areas.

Education is always better than legislation...

hunter1947
06-15-2008, 05:49 AM
I have a quad and 90% of the time it sits at camp.

Most time the only time I will use my quad is to retrieve game from the bush. I will make darn sure that when I do get the game from out of the bush that I don't damage the land.

I will stay on the old washed out spur roads to get in with the quad if I have to ,then huff her from foot from the quad. If I get an animal we will pack the animal down to the quad ,then take the animal back down to the main road to the truck.

I would never take a quad into an alpine area ,thats a NO ,NO FOR ALL.

boxhitch
06-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Quads should be used on existing roads, skidder tracks and trails, but should keep them out of the alpine and riparian areas. What time of day they are used is irrelevant to me, as long as they stay out of sensitive areas.

My take also. But this should be in place for anyone, anytime, any reason. If a rule is made it should be for all users.

springpin
06-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Limit the use of Quads??? Then why not limit the use of trucks?

coyotejoe
06-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I dream of owning a quad one day to make my hunting easier, as i hunt by mini-van. But if issues exist that determine legislation why not offer a licensing concept similiar to boating; it could encompass many aspects of hunting ethics and maybe offered voluntarily at game clubs as a pilot project for the first couple of years. hmmmm

browningboy
06-15-2008, 08:15 AM
no, think this is a no brainer as most operate one on here.

hunter1947
06-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Limit the use of Quads??? Then why not limit the use of trucks?
Reason being is that a 4x4 wont go where a quad will go most times a truck will stay on an active road or spur rd more so then not.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Shoey
06-15-2008, 08:35 AM
I think the biggest problem with quads is that A) too many people have them, seems like everyone and his dog own a quad, and hoping on your quad and bombing through the bush has replaced a nice quiet stroll. And B) A lot of people who own quads need to learn a basic level of respect for others, i alwys have problems with assholes on quads who think they own the forest

All that aside, NO, I do not believe anyone's rights should be infringed

Steeleco
06-15-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't even own one, never have likely never will, but so long as the folks that do use them in a manner respectfully to environment, go for it.
Just because I own a Jeep that will go off road doesn't mean I need to make a new one!! Road that is. LOL

horshur
06-15-2008, 08:38 AM
it is ridiculous that so many refuse to self regulate themselves to the point that many wish to take there priviliges away...

but that is what it is in this day....if you only have one weekend and have waited 20 years for a draw your gonna have to push things....

Folks we need to be more honest about why these things happen...torn up trails, huge mud holes....all of us can figure it out.

Why do some young people jack up there trucks with lifts and tires and then go 4 wheeling....not washing the truck afterwords?

It is because they want to be someone and they want the world to know it...how you appear is the end. The means...stuff and the use of it. The mud or the track through the meadow..proof.
Unfortunately they are standing outside themselves watching how cool they really are for in no way are they showing emphathy towards anyone but themselves.

If they thought they really were someone...they wouldn't need to prove it.
The quads, the jacked up jeeps, the pimped up trucks are only symbols.

I blame the current education system...which is primarily geared to make consumers out of all of us for the benifit of the economy....

A two track through a wet meadow is it's legacy.

mcrae
06-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Lets not forget that much of the damage and complaints is caused by recreational riders not necessarily guys out hunting. I watched two guys ripping up a stream bank last weekend just because. They where not out bear hunting just out riding and getting drunk. Its people like that, and behavior like that, that ultimately gets us painted by the same brush in some peoples eyes. These where not young guys either I would say 35-40ish....

Vansmasher
06-15-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm firmly in the #4 option

Quads can cause tremendous damage in riparian and alpine areas, as well as the sound of a quad in some areas is sorta offensive!

Education is always better than legislation...

you hit the nail right on the head gatehouse.
a big X2 from me!!

Kechika
06-15-2008, 09:30 AM
The world is full of morons and it seems most of them own quads.Thats why I choose to go where quads cant...road hunters are not a threat to me.

msawyer
06-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Hello all...

There is no question that quads are harmful to the environment, particularly when misused or by virtue of sheer numbers... The only workable solution is through regulation and as someone has already said, those regulation ought to apply to all users, not just hunters...

Having said that, there is another important aspect of the motorized access debate that is often overlooked and that is the negative effects on game populations and ultimately on the hunting experience... Many studies over the last 20 years demonstrate the negative correlation between healthy game populations and quality of hunt and motorized access... Inversely, large areas where no motorized vehicles can operate are positively correlated to healthy game populations and elevated hunter satisfaction...

The bottom line is that in our quest for a better (or easier) hunting experience many of us have adopted the quad as a strategic piece of equipment. In the not-so-distant past, when quads were less common, it generally paid big dividends... Now that much of the province has been opened up with logging, mining or oil and gas access, and every man and his dog has a quad, the strategic advantage is no longer there, or at least is severely diminished. The contemporary strategic advantage goes to those hunters who choose to hunt where no vehicles are allowed... on their feet!!

In the end, the quality of the backcountry hunt will continue to slide unless regulatory steps are taken to control or eliminate motorized access to much of the backcountry...

If you do not believe it, a review of the various postings to this forum over the past year about hunting "here" or "there" that demonstrate a single consistent trend... Areas which used to have good hunting xx years ago (pick your number) are now overrun with hunters (mostly on quads or in 4x4s) and the hunting is no good anymore... We all have similar experiences we could recount...

Let's get off the treadmill, start walking a little bit more, and enjoy everything this beautiful land offers us...

IMHO

Mike
________
Eunos cars (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Eunos_cars)

Kody94
06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't think its as simple as the poll options allow.

I don't believe quads should be limited across the board like the first three options suggest, and I don't think that just limiting them from alpine and riparian areas is sufficient either.

I believe that conservation issues need to be considered, as well as a balancing of backcountry recreation and hunting opportunity and the quality of the "experience" (recreation or hunting).

In order to provide opportunities for everyone to enjoy what they like to do, it requires compromise and a balancing act.

Heck, the fact that we are a tiny fraction of the total population and we are still "allowed" to hunt is a pretty good example of that IMHO.

One last point: No personal offence to the originator of this thread, but I will take the opportunity to post a pet peeve. I am always put off when someone starts a public opinion poll and is not the first to post their vote. If you want to know who thinks what, have the courtesy of posting your own opinion first.

Cheers,
4ster

308Lover
06-15-2008, 11:44 AM
My only complaint is that I walk a lot, and my blood boils when I'm on an overgrown, quiet bush trail, quietly hunting or enjoying the surroundings, and a quad person comes smashing through--knocking over small trees and occasionally stopping to chain saw an obstacle.Able-bodied people should maybe get off their a-- a bit more.
Otherwise--it's an awesome way to get game out and to get into areas on old logging roads etc.(Especially the "de-commisioned ones)

boxhitch
06-15-2008, 02:47 PM
... Many studies over the last 20 years demonstrate the negative correlation between healthy game populations and quality of hunt and motorized access... Inversely, large areas where no motorized vehicles can operate are positively correlated to healthy game populations and elevated hunter satisfaction...

In the end, the quality of the backcountry hunt will continue to slide unless regulatory steps are taken to control or eliminate motorized access to much of the backcountry...
MikeI like your point, Mike.
But any BCWF meeting I've been to, they argue for easy access for everyone, anywhere as long as its not a conservation concern. they argue strongly for everyones opportunity.
But is this really the sentiment of the majority of hunters ? Times have changed, methods have changed, maybe we need to consider some more motorized vehicle closures. Maybe closures are easier to swallow than restrictive season lengths ? Close a drainage to vehicles and lengthen the season ?
Maybe that should be a poll.

A good example is the closure on Barnes Cr. in the Monashee. I know guys who travel far with horses to be able to have an experience uninterupted by vehicle noise. And there are a couple of hikers who love the first couple of days in the Galloping Hills area on foot. Good deer there.

dino
06-15-2008, 05:08 PM
If they made quads illegal more guys would be hiking in the bush and thats no good for me.Keep em legal !

Statler
06-15-2008, 06:33 PM
No, I don't think that they should be illegal, except in the case of preventing enviormental damage. As for restricting vehicle access to areas so that people can utilize horses I fully disagree with that idea. The thought that one group or segment of the hunting community should be denied access to benefit another smacks of elitism at the very least. It reminds me of the bow/rifle season debate. Where one group believes their prefered method of hunting should take prescedence over another. Now before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, I realize that it's the regs but it doesn't mean that that I have to agree with it, just abide by it. It begs the question as to why we need the gov't to impose more regs. All that does imho is promote a nanny state. This province we live in is huge and there is more than enough space for all to enjoy their outdoor experience in any way that they should choose. Perhaps a better solution than to impose more restrictions is to promote respect, etiquette and an appreciation of our outdoors and those that use it. Perhaps this could even be implemented in our school system. What better place to start than that to influence the generations that will follow in our footsteps.

steel_ram
06-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Quads only allowed on roads designed for vehicles. The picture of Joe hunter driving around on a quad has become the norm, and unfortunately portrays hunters as a bunch of lazy mechanized slobs.

I am truly sorry for the old timers that can't get around by foot anymore, but on the other hand, those elderly have had their day, enjoyed the best times our society has had or ever will again. Time lay back. and let the less fortunate youth have a go at what little there is left. We'll all face that day anyways.

moosinaround
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I hunt a very populated and heavily used area of 7-12. I see hunters sometimes 4-5 different groups in a day, especially during cow/calf season. Seems I always come home with game! Luck? maybe, persistence? maybe, but I hunt an area I know well, I know how to hunt it by truck, fourwheeler, or foot. Quads allow a hunter to expidite the search for animals, or GOOD hunting areas, but quads are just one strategy. I donot think it matters if quads are allowed or not, if you know how to hunt, find game, and are persistant, you will find game! I voted no, and we should not have these restrictions. Moosin

Fisher-Dude
06-15-2008, 10:00 PM
road hunters are not a threat to me.

Complacency is a dangerous thing...

If they thought they really were someone...they wouldn't need to prove it.
The quads, the jacked up jeeps, the pimped up trucks are only symbols.

My jacked up bush truck and my quad are symbols of nothing. They are tools that I use to get to the places I want to go. I don't rip meadows or cover them with mud and then pull mainers through Kelowna. They do come in handy to get through those deep water bars and I have a favourite fishing lake that is accessable by a hell-road.

To paint everyone with that same broad brush seems a bit beyond your usual philosophical viewpoint. Not sure what the motivation is...

boyd050
06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
funny , they seem to put alot of emphasis on the "rights " of people with horses etc, but as someone who uses my quad and enjoys a ride, though I am not what you call a road hunter, I go to where I want to park then hoof it. but what I find really a bit confusing, they don't want quads in the bush, yet they close all these roads to vehicles.... seems a bit hypocritical. I have no problem keeping the idiots that chew the land up in line with fines etc, but the average middle aged guy who isn't into going on foot up the mountain shouldn't be penalized for owning a quad. heck look where some of the cattle have been if you want to get into the debate of land destruction (and I know this opens a can of worms) but really, why clamp down on atvs, if the majority are decent riders who have a concern for the bush. I spend alot of time picking up frickking beer cans and garbage when I'm on my quad .... so what damage am I doing?? I really doubt that the guys who ride all day road hunting on quads are making huge impacts on the game populations. I just think we should all have the same opportunities, and just as a side note, and I'm sure that most on this site are not the ones, but if you can pack your beer cans into the bush, please take them out, I just don't get that....... probably people are driving trucks. so why throw them in the bush, put them in the back of your trucks......anyway my two cents...might not be a popular opinion but just like belly buttons..... we all have one.!:-D

moosinaround
06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
but if you can pack your beer cans into the bush, please take them out, I just don't get that....... probably people are driving trucks. so why throw them in the bush, put them in the back of your trucks......anyway my two cents...might not be a popular opinion but just like belly buttons..... we all have one.!:-D
I mean A guy buys a dam truck so he can have some place to put his stuff....especially yer empty bud cans!! Moosin

horshur
06-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Complacency is a dangerous thing...

My jacked up bush truck and my quad are symbols of nothing. They are tools that I use to get to the places I want to go. I don't rip meadows or cover them with mud and then pull mainers through Kelowna. They do come in handy to get through those deep water bars and I have a favourite fishing lake that is accessable by a hell-road.

To paint everyone with that same broad brush seems a bit beyond your usual philosophical viewpoint. Not sure what the motivation is...

why do people destroy things with there stuff???...not talkin about you though your quik to react kinda proves my point...like it or not they have become symbols...this is not an original idea of mine.

Big mud tires..what are they for??? they are for mudding are they not???
so imagine when someone actually uses them for what they are for..mudding...crazy ain't it?.
A ATV, what does it stand for?? All terrain vehicle...What a shock that it would be used in all terrains..mud, alpine, ect.
If you would have a ATV and only used it on roads it would almost defeat the purpose...
You own a gun..you shoot it..that's what it is for...it isn't a very good crutch some make good fireplace mantle decoration though.
Think about (out side your own experience) what is the motivation for the destruction...not yours cause you don't..others that is.
Why is it important that some would mud in sensitive area??
why is it important that some would roostertail through a moose meadow.
What, are they just assholes??
Fisher the sooner you realize that my posts are not directed at you the sooner you may see some value in them...
My family used to ride dirt bikes into st margaret and loc larsen on cow paths...carefull enough that we once got lost for we could not find the trail...
The road into the greystokes was passable with model T cars at one time.
The shortcut was raped by jacked up toys and jeeps with chev 350's and 35 inch mudders...imagine that..complete overkill and they messed it up....
Why was one generation more careful and the next not??? why could an old man get in there in a army tow truck with a old slant six and army uni tires without causing the damage that followed in later years???
Why did the individuals have to prove there rigs to peers...a symbol or extension of themselves..that they had a baddass rig that could eat mud??? that theres was the best, or highest had the most power...it is cause they were and are symbols.
You saying they are not..whatever bud.

Fisher-Dude
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
My big (35s are not that BIG) mudders serve a couple of purposes. They save me from beating the stiff suspension of that old truck to pieces on washboard logging roads. They also give me traction that keeps me from spinning and chewing the terrain. The old pizza-cutters that you are praising actually carve deeper ruts and cause more washboard than a floatation designed tire that stays on top. They keep me from dealing with flats as they are designed to withstand sharp rocks and can be run at low air pressures to absorb shock.

The people that wrecked the Greystokes had no respect for the environment. They went where others didn't/couldn't before and we've all paid the price with the closure there now. Same thing on Little White. I don't condone what the mud boggers have done and I'm the first one to give them $hit when I see them. I hope the new legislation dummies some of those people up with $100,000 tickets.

Riding an ATV on roads doesn't defeat the purpose - 30 mpg, the wind in your face, the smell of the balsams, very little noise - it's an experience that's closer to nature than being locked in the cab of your pickup. You've never been there but you like to slam it as elitist or snobbish. Baffling to me, if it isn't pure jealousy. :neutral:

Mik
06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
The world is full of morons and it seems most of them own quads.Thats why I choose to go where quads cant...road hunters are not a threat to me.

A quad (and a chainsaw:tongue:)....can go almost anywhere.
Education is the key.....and in this poll, one should add. NO RESTRICTIONS AT ALL.:razz:

steel_ram
06-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Riding an ATV on roads doesn't defeat the purpose - 30 mpg, the wind in your face, the smell of the balsams, very little noise - it's an experience that's closer to nature than being locked in the cab of your pickup.

That's funny!

islandboy
06-16-2008, 07:19 AM
No rerstrictions on use of quads. i do not own one, but told my kids I want one in place of the electric cart when it is geriatric time (fun in the mall).

The problem is lack of enforcement of existing laws and lack of CS. We do not need more unenforced laws.

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Quads only allowed on roads designed for vehicles. The picture of Joe hunter driving around on a quad has become the norm, and unfortunately portrays hunters as a bunch of lazy mechanized slobs.

I am truly sorry for the old timers that can't get around by foot anymore, but on the other hand, those elderly have had their day, enjoyed the best times our society has had or ever will again. Time lay back. and let the less fortunate youth have a go at what little there is left. We'll all face that day anyways.

That's not funny.

browningboy
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Man some of the responses here are so so blind to themselves, some indicate that quad drivers are morons etc. but when the season does come, they road hunt, why not quit jumping on the bandwagon and grow a set and stick up for yourself and people that really can't hike due to disability, the bush is for everyone to enjoy and we should stick together not b!tch and whine about hiking and hearing quads, go hike up a game trail and you will not get that I'm sure, when walking a road, well....
As people hike they automatically get a halo on their head and that gives them the right to call others forms of hunting "beneath them", give your head a shake.

horshur
06-16-2008, 08:06 AM
My big (35s are not that BIG) mudders serve a couple of purposes. They save me from beating the stiff suspension of that old truck to pieces on washboard logging roads. They also give me traction that keeps me from spinning and chewing the terrain. The old pizza-cutters that you are praising actually carve deeper ruts and cause more washboard than a floatation designed tire that stays on top. They keep me from dealing with flats as they are designed to withstand sharp rocks and can be run at low air pressures to absorb shock.

The people that wrecked the Greystokes had no respect for the environment. They went where others didn't/couldn't before and we've all paid the price with the closure there now. Same thing on Little White. I don't condone what the mud boggers have done and I'm the first one to give them $hit when I see them. I hope the new legislation dummies some of those people up with $100,000 tickets.

Riding an ATV on roads doesn't defeat the purpose - 30 mpg, the wind in your face, the smell of the balsams, very little noise - it's an experience that's closer to nature than being locked in the cab of your pickup. You've never been there but you like to slam it as elitist or snobbish. Baffling to me, if it isn't pure jealousy. :neutral:

yep...when I type on here I am only talking to you.

but the fact that you have made this about stuff..and that this pizza cutters do more damage..how come it is not old man philpott your not giving shit..cause he went in there for 40 years without doing the damage them toy guys did in one. I am telling you why they tend to do those things..you are telling me about yourself.
I am shedding some light..you are telling me about yourself.

This is a ridiculous discussion.....you cannot separate world view from mans actions and the stuff he owns.
If you have a feeling when you see those ruts...why is yours more significant and more important than the feeling them boys got when they layed them there?
Why is your point of view somehow more important?

What do you base your values on? Sentiment? Feeling? Utility?
What values should others be based on? Your feelings or theres?

What happens out there that has so many up in arms and so many tearing things apart is personal values probably based on the feeings they get at the time....
Why would you deny them there own feelings..for the sake of your own?

C.S. Lewis
“such is the tragi-comedy of our situation---we continue to clamor for those very qualities we are rendering impossible. In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.”

Mauser98
06-16-2008, 08:14 AM

What absolute, condescending bullshit.

steel_ram
06-16-2008, 08:36 AM
What absolute, condescending bullshit.

Why? Everyone, including myself will be there one day, if we're so lucky.

How is riding around on Quads, contributing to the continuation of the tradition and heritage of hunting.

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2008, 08:43 AM
how come it is not old man philpott your not giving shit..cause he went in there for 40 years without doing the damage them toy guys did in one.

Wonder why Ernie Philpott had the biggest, fastest Polaris that could climb up the side of Mt Moore unlike anyone else's in the 90s? Kinda flies in the face of your point, doesn't it?

horshur
06-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh yah fish..why would you suggest I be jealous of anything of yours if it were no symbolic to you?

Your bush truck with the big boots and a Ram with his sweeping curls...very similiar.

horshur
06-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Wonder why Ernie Philpott had the biggest, fastest Polaris that could climb up the side of Mt Moore unlike anyone else's in the 90s? Kinda flies in the face of your point, doesn't it?

I am not taliking about ernie.. The old man was killed in a mudslide in 1990. I worked it with search and rescue.

one generation differance.

LeverActionJunkie
06-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Don't use them in sensitive areas like alpine, riparian, grassland etc. and be curtious (sp)

Mauser98
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Why? Everyone, including myself will be there one day, if we're so lucky.

How is riding around on Quads, contributing to the continuation of the tradition and heritage of hunting.

I have no problem with your opinion the use of quads allowed 'on roads designed for vehicles'. Depending on your definition roads designed..., I might even agree if it includes old oil-patch roads and seismic lines.

What I find offensive(condescending) is your misguided idea that when a person reaches a certain age(or condition), we should just fade into the night and leave the game fields to 'the less fortunate youth' and leave us with only our memories.

It's not going to happen. I'm still making memories. Last fall I jumped on my quad and rode to near my hunting area. I walked in a couple of km's, called-in and killed a 6X7 bull elk. We extracted him using quads with minimal impact on the surrounding environment(with the exception of cutting a couple of rotten logs). Actually, the act of killing the elk had more impact on the environment than any subsequent actions.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Most of the late season areas that I hunt are covered in roads from logging ~50 yrs ago. All overgrown and bumpier than hell.

That's the reason that I just bought a used quad (for about the same price as a new paint job).

I actually prefer my motorbike as I can get to my destination about 3 times as fast and can drive straight from my doorstep.
The less I drive my truck the better.

I don't road hunt(except a little during spring bear season) but use the bike and the ATV to get to where I want to hunt.

But that's just me.

SSS

KevinB
06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I voted for option #4 (no restrictions except for alpine/riparian or other sensitive habitat).

That being said, I don't personally see the attraction of using a quad for hunting (as opposed to retrieving game) and I find that some people start acting like a**holes when they hop onto anything with an engine and they just end up ripping around on their quad all day. As much as I'd enjoy it if quads were restricted to game retrieval and seniors or disabled, I sure as heck won't tell anyone they shouldn't be allowed to use one. We all hunt however we want within legal limits and I'm sure I do some stuff that bothers others.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2008, 06:13 PM
no ... donot restrict the use of ATVs ...because if you do you must restrict the use of pack animals and horses as well ...

I can and have and won arguements that state that Horses and pack animals are just as or more destructive as a quad ... I horse actually has more enviromental impact than a quad based solely on footprint ie:

700 pounds of quad on 4 1 square foot patches (tires)
700 pounds of horse on 4 6 square inch patches (hoofs)

the hoofs will sink in and make more of irrepairible mess ...espcailly if ridden hard ...

Easy riding compared to easy riding the quad will leave less of an impact .

Mr. Friendly
06-16-2008, 07:57 PM
if they're on a road or a well worn trail where ATV use won't cause further damage, I have nothing against their being used.

Stump
06-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Shame on you !
I,m almost a senior and if I feel like it, I will use my quad.
Hey all you young fellows just wait!
Just respect what we all have and look after it for the further of those who wish to use it.

Sharkey
06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
I have never hunted using a quad but after driving one for the first time a few weeks back... Have to admit I'm hooked. I also agree that you have to use them with respect - like any motor vehicle. You don't go around driving your truck on other people's propery - use ATV's with respect to the land and there should be no problem. It's jack*sses like my neighbor (who decided his quad needed NOS) that are putting a sour taste in the gen-pop's mouths. Such a shame.

hotload
06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I love the Quads, I love the noise, cause I know where they are at all times when I'm in the bush,this way I can easily detour to avoid them so I might not get shot at. I love how if the Quads are used properly for me they will bring the animals right to me. I love the fumes, and how it makes the animals alert to every Quad they are down wind of.I love everything about them. I love how they go right past me, after I have just stepped off the trail,and not even noticed cause they can't take their eyes off the road. I love how they absolutely can't go where I go. I love how most big animals stay deep or high, with the only trail leading to them is the one they might have made. I love how all deep freezes are full by utilizing other hunters driving Quads or dirt bikes to my advantage. I love how there is no manmade mud,deep gouged trails,people screaming over top of motors. I love your Quads, cause they CANNOT go where I go. We all have our different ways to hunt and I am not condemning Quads, each to their own, Actually I love them.

hunter1947
06-17-2008, 04:18 AM
It just boils down to common sense think befor doing.

There are a few things you do when operating a quad ,don't take it into alpine areas ,don't take it through stream beds ,keep it on used roads as much as possible.

stovepipes
06-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I went with #4.

But I will say that there is a total ban on the use of ATV's for the purpose of hunting in the MU that I hunt Moose. In the MU that I hunt Whitetails & Mulies there is no ban, but I don't see that many ATV's. The ones that I have seen, the riders have been almost frozen solid in the early mornings of the late November Whitetail hunts.

Be respectful of others and their property.

Rob
06-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Ive got a F250 with a lift kit and I also own a yellow dress shirt that says Columbia on it, is this a symbol to? Your paint brush is too wide.

GoatGuy
06-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't think its as simple as the poll options allow.

I don't believe quads should be limited across the board like the first three options suggest, and I don't think that just limiting them from alpine and riparian areas is sufficient either.

I believe that conservation issues need to be considered, as well as a balancing of backcountry recreation and hunting opportunity and the quality of the "experience" (recreation or hunting).

In order to provide opportunities for everyone to enjoy what they like to do, it requires compromise and a balancing act.

Heck, the fact that we are a tiny fraction of the total population and we are still "allowed" to hunt is a pretty good example of that IMHO.

One last point: No personal offence to the originator of this thread, but I will take the opportunity to post a pet peeve. I am always put off when someone starts a public opinion poll and is not the first to post their vote. If you want to know who thinks what, have the courtesy of posting your own opinion first.

Cheers,
4ster

You're talking about access management not necessarily the use of quads - those are two very different things. Closures with anything with a motor could be for another thread.

No offence taken - didn't want to be accused of skewing the poll. ;)

huntsooke1
06-17-2008, 11:51 PM
i think quads are a nice machine to use well hunting just to get to your location and to pack whatever you get out. you know its know different than your truck realy its a hunting rig. it also makes it more fun i think . i just got the 650 brute force and its great does everything a machine is supposed to do.

Buck
06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Quads are great but i sure don't like it when they ride by me on deactivated logging roads.Really ignorant that is.Nothing against the quads just the operators.

Kody94
06-18-2008, 07:13 PM
You're talking about access management not necessarily the use of quads - those are two very different things. Closures with anything with a motor could be for another thread.

No offence taken - didn't want to be accused of skewing the poll. ;)

I agree entirely, although the two topics often get blended together...hence my reluctance to select any of the 4 options. I wouldn't want my selection of any of the options available to result in any misunderstanding (eg. agreeing quad use should not be restricted could be misconstrued as being against access restrictions across the board).

As far as quad use goes, my general opinion is that they should be used on existing trails and roads. I generally (one can always find exceptions) don't support cutting new trails or running them "off road". I have witnessed too many instances of indefensible and incomprehensible environmental damage that are not necessarily strictly alpine or riparian habitats.

As usual though, I do prefer education/awareness over regulation to the extent that it can be effective.

I don't own a quad, but have used them plenty and will likely own one at some point in the future....mainly to save wear and tear on my pickup truck.

Frango
06-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Quads are great but i sure don't like it when they ride by me on deactivated logging roads.Really ignorant that is.Nothing against the quads just the operators.
Perhaps they did not know you where there? Not to sound like an old fart but I can remember having a similiar conversation about 4X4 trucks back in the early 70's.Ok ,Ok Im an old fart.Yes I use a 4x4 and yes I use a quad.Every piece of equipment one uses is a matter of choice and legallity.Choice is a good thing.Nothing has changed over the years.It just got a little more complicated.

Buck
06-18-2008, 09:39 PM
The incident i'm thinking of was riding right by me on the road me on foot them on the bikes.Like i said i have nothing against quads i hope to get one soon .

Flingin' Sticks
06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
IMO, A quad used on a logging road/slash line/pipe line etc. is not a huge issue. there's not going to be a whole lot of damage to an ecologically sensitive area. to me, it's the same as road hunting and if that's what floats your boat, feel free. I do it myself.

now, all that being said, as soon as a quad leaves a road and starts hacking through an area which can be damaged, it's a whole new game. with that, keep quads on bush roads/slash lines, and if you really want to get into a roadless area, use the quads that God gave you.