PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully first blood

riflebuilder
06-14-2008, 06:02 PM
I am taking the new 340 out tonight hopping to see the monster Blackie from the other night. Sighted in the new rifle at the range and she is printing under 3/4" groups with 225g Accubonds. I hope to get some good pics. Time will tell.

Jetboat
06-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Best of luck with the new toy. Is it a .340 WbyMag?

2slow
06-14-2008, 10:06 PM
good luck hope to see some pics

riflebuilder
06-14-2008, 10:23 PM
just got back, Two bears two shots. Pics to follow

riflebuilder
06-14-2008, 11:01 PM
well here is the Boar. I saw this guy on Wendsday night but I didn't have the rifle sighted in yet and with it just bore sighted I wasn't going to shoot. So yesterday I went to the range and sighted it in. Well after spending the day fishing with the wife and kids I pulled the fathersday card and got to go look for the bear. I got up to a high point to where I could glass the area that I had seen the bears on Wednsday, I didn't see much of anything so I went a bit further down the powerline to the next vantage point. While glassing I saw just for a few minutes the biggest Black bear I have ever seen around here. It must of gone close to 350 plus pounds. I took after the bear but never did find it. After awhile I decided to head back to the spot where I had seen the big bore and a big sow on Wednsday. As I cam up onto the ridge over looking the cutline I saw a good bear at the edge of the trees. I shut off the truck and got out working my way to the edge of the clearing. I was about 200 yds from the bear and it looked like a good mature bore. One shot with the new rifle and the bore disapeared into the tree line. I felt good about the shot and was shocked to see him run out of the trees. I quickly followed up with a second shot and tumbled the bear in its tracks. After watching the bear for a few minutes to make sure it was down I got back up and made my way to the truck and drove down a trail into the cutline. I was happy to see that there was no ground shrinkage and that I had been fortunate enought to harvest a great bear. I walked back to the trees to see if I had missed on the first shot and low and behold there 10' into the trees was a big dead black bear. Good thing you can buy two tags. It about killed me getting the smaller of the bears into the truck so I am going back with a couple of buds to up load the other one. So I guess the rifle is a keeper two shots two bears and neither on went more than 10' after being hit. Accurate and packs a big punch. The rifle is a custom I built match camber 340 Wby mag on a Montana action. I didn't know if I was going to like the thumbhole stock but it felt good to shoot. The sow is actually bigger than the bore. I am going to get her lifesized for my new game room. The bore is going to make a great rug and some sausage.

rishu_pepper
06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Great stuff, I'm very jealous!

Hopefully I can cut my tag in the autumn. :biggrin:

Archer
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Sweet deal! Congrats! Is that the sow or boar in the last pic?

riflebuilder
06-15-2008, 11:53 AM
the Bore, the sow is bigger.

hunter1947
06-16-2008, 03:52 AM
Nice way to break a new rifle in ,congrats on the bears.

sneg
06-16-2008, 07:02 AM
congrats on bears.good hunting