PDA

View Full Version : Bullfrogs

tigger
06-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Ok, I know there's been a few posts about this topic already, but I was specifically interested in anyones experience in the lower mainland area? Would totally be into trying a few recipies, does anyone know of a specific area that I could hit? I know this is small potato's for many, but while I await my first deer season I'd like to try something out. If anyone's interested in heading out together let me know.
Thinking sautee'd in some garlic butter and white wine might be the ticket:D
Thx d

boyd050
06-12-2008, 08:28 PM
are you serious?????:shock:...bull frogs???? (insert puking smiley here)

RBH
06-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Googled bullfrogs british columbia and there is a guy at UVic doing a study on them. he will know where to find them. his number is on this web site. sounds like an unwanted invader that you can eat to your hearts content and do BC a favour.8)

http://communications.uvic.ca/releases/release.php?display=release&id=400

pupper
06-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I grew up on a lake on in clearbrook on the border of the US and there is a lake there called "judson lake" that must have had every evil invader dropped in as I would catch my fill of bass, perch, catfish, and bullfrogs. My biggest bull frog was around 2' stretched out. The new owners might be leary but you could go to the south end of clearbrook rd and ask the owners if you could catch frogs in the lake. The best time is Aug- early sept.

DrewT
06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
AS a kid growing up in rootin tootin Newton, we used to pedal our bikes down to the serpentine and nickelmackle rivers. On the grassy banks we would spot them and cast a silver 1 oz silver deadly dick trebble hook close to them, they would pounce on it and we where in for a fight to to real them in. Never ate them, but it was a hoot to catch and release.
PS thanks for the flash back:)

Dannybuoy
06-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Ok, Thinking sautee'd in some garlic butter and white wine might be the ticket:D
Thx d
Mmm Mmm Ya ... dont forget to skin them

BigBanger
06-13-2008, 02:20 AM
The dyke at the end of steveston hwy has tons , they are big too .Was there last week . I wasent looking for them but saw lots .

hunter1947
06-13-2008, 03:32 AM
I have heard that bull frogs are very tasty ,I should try one when I catch one next time ???.

Gateholio
06-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Frog legs are good...I'd catch and eat them myself if I had more time/easy to find larger ones around here.

KBM
06-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Give Silvermere Lake between Maple Ridge and Mission a try, there are a ton of those things in that lake.

popcan
06-13-2008, 10:06 AM
This should be in Off-Topic .... as in Turn Off! gak!

tigger
06-13-2008, 11:40 AM
BigBanner - What end of Steveston hwy? Have to make sure they're the American Bullfrog variety as other frog populations are in serious decline do in part to these invaisive bullfrogs.

And for those that haven't tried them..... they're GOOD. Sauteed or deep fried with dip.
When you think about it, their diet of insects is not all that different from trout.

switchback
06-13-2008, 08:59 PM
We have them in Duncan on Vancouver Island. There is a lake just North of Duncan Called Somenose Lake. I was planning on trying to get some myself. It is a big deal down in the U.S. they have limits and such on them. You can look up recipes on the internet. What they basically do is skin them from behind the shoulders down the legs and deep fry them. P.S. there is no limit here I checked with the C.O. Good luck.

mrdoog
06-14-2008, 09:18 AM
What's the best way to kill them after they are caught?
Are they easier to skin right after being caught, or should you wait a couple of hours?

mijinkal
06-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I just stumbled upon this thread. I've got a couple dozen of those suckers in the pond at the house I just moved to. I killed 2 of em yesterday with my slingshot. I don't know If I'll be eating them anytime soon. If anybody wants some, let me know. I'll be huntin them all summer

Bpower
06-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I've hooked into them in Glauchester Estate Pond in Aldergrove while fishing for Bass. It is on the North side of Hwy 1 East of 264th ave. It is in the middle of a bunch of warehouses. I was using a frog imitation lure. They are killed quite easily just like whacking a fish on the head.

Steyrman
06-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Wow!, frog legs, brings back a lot of memories, growing up in the 50's-60's along the banks of the St. Lawrence and Raisin rivers of eastern Ontario. We would hunt them at night with a Coleman lamp and a big stick, wading in the shallows or from a boat. I remember some pretty big ones,18"-24" were not too common, mostly about 12"+ overall, but my dad told stories of "football" sized bullfrogs and most of the locals agreed, but that had to be in 20's and 30's. Ontario now has a bullfrog season and a bag limit, and like a lot of places, a declining amphibian population. They always seemed best over an open fire, skewered on any non-toxic branch, usually maple like the firewood. We had a seasoning mixture that consisted of ground Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, basil, corriander, and garlic,(lots of garlic) for pan frying we would roll them in flour with the above seasonings. Do not over cook ! it takes only a few minutes, over cooking toughens the meat. In later years we graduated to a hamburger press, as you could put on several legs at a time, and then clamp them down to prevent them falling into the fire. This same setup and seasonings also works very well for snakes, and neither "tastes like chicken", they taste like what they are, frogs and snakes. Don't knock snake until you have tried it, I have eaten all kinds, from all over, they are a little "ribby",but very tasty.

huntergirl270
06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
The Greater Vancouver Zoo has a problem with them in their Lemur pond. Call them or stop by and ask if you can help them out by catching some. The Reptile Guy from Abbotsford goes and catches them there for his reptiles to eat.

SHACK
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Latimer lk/stokes pit has them a plenty as well. When I was a kid I would just use a fly rod with a nice big fluffy dry on a long leader.....cast close and wiggle until they take it, then its "frog on"! I remeber coming home with burlap tater sacks full!

mijinkal
06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
ha ha, you guys are awesome!

eaglesnester
06-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Frog legs are the best eaten you ever put your mouth on. Gut em cut the the heads of and with a pair of plyers skin em. leave the back and front legs attached. Roll em in melted garlic butter and lightly flour, add a little paprika, stick em under the broyler and add a little lemon. Have a bottle of chardonay chilling in the fridge and have the hot garlic bread ready to go. I can not tell you folks how good these critters are done this way. If you deep fry em you spoil em. You might just as well be eating chicken. If everybody in B.C. knew how good fog legs were they would be protected by the fish and wild life and you would need a special license to go get em.

Brew
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Go to whonnock lake in maple ridge. I used to catch em as a kid. they are huge there 2-3 pounds serious

spreerider
06-30-2009, 05:30 PM
i know around victoria and naniamo there are some ponds with the giant frogs from africa, i found some in elk lake and tonnes of tadpoles.

green machine
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
make for good target practice. if you want to eat them fly at it. they are terrible for the trout population.

Evolution
07-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I wonder if they would carry any kind of transmittable diseases? Being carnivores wouldnt they be susceptible to things like salmonella or trichinosis?

SLIK
07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I remember when I was a kid they had tons of em in the ponds at Surrey public golf course. I used to always carry a slingshot in my bag for this reason...ya I was kind of a sick kid