PDA

View Full Version : Do you Support the Grizzly Bear Hunt in BC

wetcoasthunter
06-11-2008, 02:23 PM
OK, after reading the, what in my mind, is a BS poll done up about the grizz hunt I thought I'd see what people on this site would say. I for one am voting yes, continue the hunt.

Wolfman
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Like any resource the grizzlies need to be managed. Maybe before there were people around it was different, but nowadays man has gotten himself spread out to the point where the bears need to be managed.

Fluff-bunnies will never understand this until they have a run in with a bear.

I vote yes for grizzly bear hunting/management

Wolfman

killman
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I think the Grizz numbers are higher than they let on. Seen more and more in the last 10 years.

Gateholio
06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Grizzly numbers are increasing, they are popping up all over this area...And that is a good thing!

rishu_pepper
06-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I'd hunt them if I ever get the chance to. What I've been hearing is grizz population is pretty healthy the last few years.

06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
For the areas that can support a hunt I am in favour of it. We count on biologists and managers to make sure things are live and well. Certainly not all areas can support annual harvest, but for many areas all over the province there are TOO MANY. Man has interferred with game populations many many years ago and for that reason it is ever changing. Thats why we count on the experts to MANAGE a healthy game population including Grizzly Bears. I count on these experts and as long as I am with in the law to legally harverst one whats the problem? I have had a few close calls with these critters but do want to take one if I am ever drawn. An article in the Province this morning says 73 % of BC residents are not in favour of it. Maybe that 73% should see how there chickens, beef and pork are treated during their short lives, any one for veal, give me a break! What a bunch of hooey!
If we ever let them shut down the G bears totally, thats only the start on a total hunting ban of all game, then watch what happens to the populations. 98% of hunters are conservationists, and if it were not for us ethical hunters, where would the Sheep, Bear, Elk etc etc populations really be? We are the keepers of the game so to speak with our contibutions in many ways to communities throughout this province!
Were slowly going the way of the mamoth, soon we'll be extinct because of some uneducated yuppie!
Non hunters really need to get informed about what is sustainable and healthy populations and what is not.
For all those that voted against it in the province, you better switch to tofu....so many of them are misinformed. Just one guys opinion.
C/T

Vansmasher
06-11-2008, 04:45 PM
IMO the g-bear population is very healthy and increasing every year.... at least the northern part of the province, despite what anti-hunting groups presume to know.
My vote is to keep huntin' the grizz for PG north, can't speak for the south.

mark
06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
The hunt adds to our economy, as well keeps the numbers in check. Its a management tool, its a no-brainer! Id sure like to hear why some voted no????????????

mcrae
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes continue the hunt like any other critter it needs to be managed and like others have pointed out its a valuable economic resource for the province. I don't hunt grizz myself but I am not going to rule out the possibility of maybe going someday....

MtnBoy
06-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Another One-Sided article in the Province. Why did they not have a comment or anything from the BCWF or other organization? Only a comment from Ian McAllister...and we know what he stands for...

wildman 22
06-11-2008, 05:40 PM
yes to grizz hunting/management.when i got my first grizz draw i was scared to tell locals what i was up there for but i soon found out that a large majority were in favour of it.some even asked me if i wanted to hunt their property ,wrong management unit though.if they close the grizz hunt i doubt if it will ever open for them again.

brian
06-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I voted not sure because really, I have no clue what the Grizzly numbers are like. If they are threatened we should back off, if they are ample we should hunt... just like any other species.

SUAFOYT
06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
The hunt adds to our economy, as well keeps the numbers in check. Its a management tool, its a no-brainer! Id sure like to hear why some voted no????????????

I voted yes but I believe we're going to lose this battle. The anti G bear hunt types IMO are going to use the same tactics that the anti sealing types used a number of years ago. They've already attached any number of "mystical" attributes to bears in general, and have added even more to the grizzly. The grizzly is an animal, a beautiful one to be sure, but an animal that does what it does- no more and no less. By attaching what are mainly human attributes to wild animals, it sells much easier. The provincial Liberals, while keeping their initial promise to lift the hunt moratorium on the G bear hunt, will IMO reinstate the ban in a heartbeat if it is politically expedient to do so. They don't need the vote of sportsmen and the vote of the hunting fraternity even less in order to stay in power. Witness the Mayor Miller nonsense and the backtracking on the issue in Toronto re a handgun ban. These guys understand one thing only- votes. If they see that they have an unpopular issue that will hurt them come election time, they'll reverse their position in a nanosecond if it will save their ass. The governing party in this province will sacrifice anyone if it will keep them in power. We will lose this issue, if it becomes a front and centre one.

sawmill
06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I have been lucky enough to take 2 grizz in my hunting career.One was 9 ft.6 and the other was a perfect 7 ft. silver.tip.My house burned to the ground and I lost all my mounts,rifles,ect.I will not kill another grizz.I killed those two for my own ego i quess.Sure makes me feel like shit when I realise I killed them only to see them burn in a house fire. In my humble opinion every hunter should get the chance to take a grizz.it is intense ,but one per life time is eough for any man .

Wildfoot
06-11-2008, 08:27 PM
i bought an extra leh draw ticket this year. put in for grizz. If i manage to get drawn I will take one, but it will probably be my only one, and only if i can manage to get into bowrange. grizzly bowhunt is a life dream.

hunter1947
06-12-2008, 05:05 AM
A yes vote for me on this.

In the area I hunt there are almost as many grizzles as there are blacks.

In the last 10 years the Griz population in the area where I hunt in the EK has skyrocket as for other regions.

wetcoasthunter
06-12-2008, 07:03 AM
The other poll stated it found 60% of hunters opposed the hunt, what a load of BS

BiG Boar
06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
In reality, the whole reason I got into hunting and this site is to reduce the grizzly population by one. Dont know why, maybe ego or something. Just want to see if I can out play one of the greatest animals out there. I dont know the numbers, in fact I have never even seen one in the wild. Hopefully I will one day.

BiG Boar
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Damnnn............I vote yes but hit the no button when I voted because I wasn't fully awake yet. If someone can change it I'd appreciate it.
Maybe it was your subconcious mind telling you something?

manalishi
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Don't you just love when a group or the Government does a independent poll. They always get a good % in favor for thier intrests. And if not how long would that pollster be in buisness...not long.

They run a poll 70% of Canadians what a carbon tax...So I must be a minority. And we keep our mouths shut, bend over and take it.

I'm not a hunter but have no problem with any hunt if managed right...Then again I'm always the minority.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
It always makes me laugh when the anits say that the province can make more money off of g-bear viewing than by hunting. There are only a few places that make for "easy" viewing in this province. Can't picture some eco-freak tourist strapping on the boards and hiking into remote valleys, sitting into the pouring rain, glassing for hours, crossing raging rivers, risking avalanches, waiting for a grizzly to make a brief appearance.............if they are lucky:roll:.

No one said hunters were sane:smile:.

There are a helluva a lot of grizzlies left in this province to view. Have at 'er!!!

SSS

Mr. Dean
06-12-2008, 11:56 AM
YES!!

IMO the entire hunt needs/should be restructured, giving us (residents) more opportunity. My thinking is along the lines of a GOS with tag costs being that of what the outfitters pay for one....

GoatGuy
06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I voted yes but I believe we're going to lose this battle. The anti G bear hunt types IMO are going to use the same tactics that the anti sealing types used a number of years ago. They've already attached any number of "mystical" attributes to bears in general, and have added even more to the grizzly. The grizzly is an animal, a beautiful one to be sure, but an animal that does what it does- no more and no less. By attaching what are mainly human attributes to wild animals, it sells much easier. The provincial Liberals, while keeping their initial promise to lift the hunt moratorium on the G bear hunt, will IMO reinstate the ban in a heartbeat if it is politically expedient to do so. They don't need the vote of sportsmen and the vote of the hunting fraternity even less in order to stay in power. Witness the Mayor Miller nonsense and the backtracking on the issue in Toronto re a handgun ban. These guys understand one thing only- votes. If they see that they have an unpopular issue that will hurt them come election time, they'll reverse their position in a nanosecond if it will save their ass. The governing party in this province will sacrifice anyone if it will keep them in power. We will lose this issue, if it becomes a front and centre one.

It's funny though, there might be a couple hundred people who are actively opposed to grizzly bear hunting across the entire province. There are also 90,000 hunters in this province.

Something seems strange to me?

mainland hunter
06-12-2008, 03:35 PM

I agree almost 100% with you, especially on anti's attaching human attributes to animals for emotional effect. however Barry Penner has stood on the side of the hunt when asked about it.

The B.C. government estimates that there are as many as 17,000 grizzlies in the province -- more than enough to sustain a controlled hunt.

"Overall, our biologists are satisfied that we have a healthy grizzly bear population in British Columbia," said Environment Minister Barry Penner.

Penner said that the hunt is managed well, with seven regions closed to bear hunting to protect the stocks.

"My top priority is conservation, so if the biologists tell me that they have a concern in a particular region in the province, that area will be closed to grizzly bear hunting," said Penner.

wickit
06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes continue the hunt like any other critter it needs to be managed and like others have pointed out its a valuable economic resource for the province. I don't hunt grizz myself but I am not going to rule out the possibility of maybe going someday....

I don't hunt grizz my self but I would like to have that choice if I ever change my mind.

BCbillies
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Most of us that live and hunt in the northern half of the province know the truth as do many in the south. If a person thinks the grizz numbers are low then they should venture up some of the creeks in the fall and decide for themselves. A dozen bears on a short stretch isn't that uncommon.

Some of us get a little cranky when we can't get out with a tag and at least have an opportunity to hunt a grizz! I think '99 was the year they shut the hunt down - the next couple of years produced some pretty avid grizz hunters. :D

TIKA 300
06-12-2008, 06:38 PM
I said not sure,cuz of not knowing #s. BUT SURELY NOT OPPOSED

I think we should run a contest and let that determine whether grizz hunting gets shut down ?????????????

We will live capture a couple grizz,starve them for a week,than put said gronola crunchers with gronala in hand and said hunter with rifle in with it,and say the one not to soil their pants is the winner :eek: :D :wink:

brian
06-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Can't picture some eco-freak tourist strapping on the boards and hiking into remote valleys, sitting into the pouring rain, glassing for hours, crossing raging rivers, risking avalanches,

Yeah I can picture it, I know a bunch of "eco-Freak" types who do just this for fun. They're just not hunting while they do it.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Yeah I can picture it, I know a bunch of "eco-Freak" types who do just this for fun. They're just not hunting while they do it.

Yes, they exist and many of them make hard-core hunters look like little old grannies......but are there enough of them to sustain several bear viewing tour operators scattered throughout the province??:confused:

Highly doubt it.

SSS

wlbc
06-13-2008, 07:57 AM
I do support a managed Grizzly bear harvest in BC.

From what I have read and personally experienced, excepting areas like the lower mainland, there is a healthy population. This population is being watched closely and managed sustainably. The largest threat to G bears is probably habitat distruction and/or human encroachment - not hunting.

There is some economic benefit to hunting just as there is to so called eco-tourism. My opinion is that the relative benfits of both are not going to rock the BC economy one way or the other, although I "think" guided hunting probably generates more dollars in our economy.

My societal observations on this are:
- in highly populated urban areas it is more socially acceptable to have a "green" oulook. As an example I would offer the "spirit" bears of the central coast, logging was basically shut down after this emotional eco campaign was finished.
- in rural areas where people are more likely to bump into one folks are more likely to be neutral or in favour of a managed G bear population.

I do not trust people that cite surveys, unless a survey is done in a very structured fashion the results can skew dramatically. For example, a population surveyed only in the lower mainland or only off this board would not be representative.

Finally, should the dense population of the lower mainland dictate how the rest of the province lives? I would speculate that folks in Hagensborg are fairly open to managing G bear populations in their area - accordinly is it appropriate for their areas conditions to be dictated by a population wad in the lower mainland that may never even go there?

Harvest Grizzly bears, where appropriate, in a sustainable fashion.

Steeleco
06-13-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't hunt grizz my self but I would like to have that choice if I ever change my mind.

Well spoken words, I too don't hunt them, but one day I'd like that option.

Maybe we should remind all these eco whack jobs about this governments definition of the word "hunt" seems to me they are doing the same thing only without a rifle or bow??

brian
06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Yes, they exist and many of them make hard-core hunters look like little old grannies......but are there enough of them to sustain several bear viewing tour operators scattered throughout the province??:confused:

Highly doubt it.Exactly, no. And by and large they wouldn't go with an outfitter or a guide. They're just not built that way. They'll just bring their topo's and gear and head on out. I would imagine "bear tourism" in BC would be about baiting and watching, which doesn't sound like much of a great idea to me. Associating people with food. A very not hardcore friend of mine did an Alaskan bear watching tour that involved flying people into bear country in a State park . Since it was a park none of them could carry firearms, not even on the guides. She loved it. It didn't sound all that smart to me.

bcboy
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
They are now findin grizz in the Whister area...Pemberton, the Elaho and the upper Squamish

In fact two grizz were wandering around downtown Squamish last yr.

What pop. in crisis ,,,i think not.

If you figure it the expandin grizz pop, and territory just adds a bonus for people to make a living protecting them in areas where it is highly unlikey they will survive.

Human encroachment is the biggest threat ..my problem is these eco weenies take over there terrirty and then try to make a living tellin me I am the problem
Me I see more chance of smoke coming out of thier asses than a viable solution.
well my .02 tirade.

SUAFOYT
06-13-2008, 07:10 PM
It's funny though, there might be a couple hundred people who are actively opposed to grizzly bear hunting across the entire province. There are also 90,000 hunters in this province.

Something seems strange to me?

It may or may not be strange, but I still believe that if this issue gets "legs" as the press calls it, we will lose this as a hunting opportunity. There may be 90k hunters in this province as you say, but unless that translates into a threat to the government at election time it may as well be 9.

boxhitch
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I think the GBears are better off than we give them credit for. They have survived for thousands of years, they are adaptable. Some of their historic habitat has been altered, but I doubt that kills any or affects their procreation for long. They are being found in areas that they had not been seen in, and in some cases are repopulating areas where they were previously killed off as pests, but are not targetted they way they used to be.

I voted yes, but mostly because I want to protect my right to hunt. I hate someone telling me what they think I should do or not do. Live and let live.

BlacktailStalker
06-13-2008, 09:01 PM
To all the tree huggers who voted no, hunters support hunters, whether its someones cup of tea or not, ya don't vote no on issues like this.
Can't wait for the time to do a G bear hunt.

GoatGuy
06-13-2008, 10:10 PM
It may or may not be strange, but I still believe that if this issue gets "legs" as the press calls it, we will lose this as a hunting opportunity. There may be 90k hunters in this province as you say, but unless that translates into a threat to the government at election time it may as well be 9.

I'm with you on that one.