PDA

View Full Version : Freighter Frame Fit

Ron.C
06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I have had a freighter frame pack for several years now and used it to pack out elk quarters, and a couple deer. All these animals were packed out over short distances, so I was never to concerned about proper fit and adjustment of the pack. This year I'll be heading into a new area and if I get an animal down, my pack out will be considerably longer. I want to make sure the pack is adjusted and fit properly. Does anyone have any wisdom/experience to offer on how to properly adjust and fit one of these packs depending on the individuals size?

one-shot-wonder
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
I think the most important thing is that the majority of the weight is taken off your neck/shoulders and is lower in the pack situated on your hips. Make sure the hip belt fits right and tight in order to carry the brunt of the load.
I have made the mistake of overloading my pack far too top heavy on long pack outs and have injured my neck and upper back perminantly.

Robert
06-13-2008, 10:37 AM
I pack the heavier weight mid level and on the top of the pack and close to my body, Your shoulders and upper back is the strongest part of your body ( other than legs) and should be taking most of the weight. I put the lighter items on the bottom and away from my back..You will probably get lower back problems if there is to much weight on the bottom.
I think the key is the balance of weight distribution between your shoulders(back) (60%) and hips (40%). To much weight on shoulders will cause neck problems or to much weight low down will likley cause lower back problems. Make sure you get a good strong kidney belt that adjusts properly so 40% of the weight is transerferd from your shoulders to your hips.
A heavy pack with proper weight distribution will give you much greater balance and stability. This is neccessay when packing out your animal long distances in mountainious terrian, especially when going solo and packs are 100+ lbs and you have to travel 10km and greater.

Get a bar bell and start doing squats and go for ruck marches to get in shape. Start off with 60lb pack and then add 10lbs every 2/3 weeks until you get to 120lbs, then its not a shock to you body. Its all those secondary muscle groups (for stability) that support the primary muscle groups thant require strenghthing also.

cheers

Robert
06-13-2008, 10:45 AM
I pack the heavier weight mid level and on the top of the pack and close to my body, Your shoulders and upper back is the strongest part of your body ( other than legs) and should be taking most of the weight. I put the lighter items on the bottom and away from my back..You will probably get lower back problems if there is to much weight on the bottom.
I think the key is the balance of weight distribution between your shoulders(back) (60%) and hips (40%). To much weight on shoulders will cause neck problems or to much weight low down will likley cause lower back problems. Make sure you get a good strong kidney belt that adjusts properly so 40% of the weight is transerferd from your shoulders to your hips.
A heavy pack with proper weight distribution will give you much greater balance and stability. This is neccessay when packing out your animal long distances in mountainious terrian, especially when going solo and packs are 100+ lbs and you have to travel 10km and greater.

Get a bar bell and start doing squats and go for ruck marches to get in shape. Start off with 60lb pack and then add 10lbs every 2/3 weeks until you get to 120lbs, then its not a shock to you body. Its all those secondary muscle groups (for stability) that support the primary muscle groups thant require strenghthing also.

cheers

boxhitch
06-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Good info Robert. Worth repeating. ;)
I thought I had my Freighter set correct, until I messed around with the fit and found the happy spot.
I started with the shoulder strap only, with ~30 lbs. Check that the width is ok and then the height of the frame. Once these are comfy, tighten up the waist band, make sure it hits the top of the hipbones. Too low, no support. Too high, itll pinch your guts. When it feels right, add ~20 lbs, and feel if it gets shared to both shoulders and hips.
When it feels right, replace all the aluminum pins with 1/4"bolts and nyloc nuts, with flat washers for backing on webbing. Check al the webbing and double stitch where possible.