PDA

View Full Version : Spatzizi

Kechika
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.missinginspatsizi.com/

MIL720
06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
thats gotta be tough...his only mistake is he went alone.hope they find some closure one day.....

ryanb
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't think going alone is necessarily a mistake. It's a calculated (hopefully) risk that some people including myself choose to take. Solo backpack hunting has it's risks, but the alternative when you don't have good partners (not going) just isn't acceptable to some.

It would be nice for the family to have some closure. At least he was out there doing what he loved.

180grainer
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I will keep a look out as I'm hoping to head that way....not to make lite or anything but that photo looks like a bust of Squire Barnes that someone has sh*&^^%t on.....

Elkhound
06-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Thought I would make this a sticky for a bit

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Thought I would make this a sticky for a bit

Kechika and sticky. GROSS! :shock:

Gateholio
06-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I've gone on lots of solo trips...And sometimes I never told anyone where I was going..Spent a few nights out without inteneding to, as well..

Not a great idea.

But you know, I will often whip off for a quick little hunt after work and every now and then I think "Nobody knows where I am"

At least a couple of buddies will know I am in drainage XYZ or 123

Now that I am 40, I find myself jumping from log to log and crossing streams, just a wee bit more carefully...

todbartell
06-10-2008, 11:09 PM
40 years old and 360 lbs...

Gateholio
06-10-2008, 11:11 PM
:cool::lol::D

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2008, 04:53 AM
As a solo hunter you need to take less risks for sure. But if a grizzly decides to jump on your tent in the middle of the night, things aren't in your favor.......if you're solo or with a partner.
Look at the Kalspell/Fumerton grizz attack. Two guys with rifles in daylight hours. Difference was they were on a day hike and someone knew pretty much exactly where they were. The Spatzisi hunter was in a huge area and gone for a long period of time= needle in a haystack.
Maybe if he had a partner things would have turned out differently....maybe not.

SSS

switchback
08-20-2008, 03:50 PM
There is a GPS transmiter you can buy for about 200 bucks and it tracks you on google earth. It is called "SPOT" it cost another hundred for a company to moniter it for a year. It has a help button if you need help. a check in button and a track function. it is about the size of an flatten orange and weighs about the same. This may make the family feel a whole lot better when you go out on your own.

Ron.C
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
My elk/goat trip this year was my first attempt at a solo trip and for some it's the only way to hunt. I had a SPOT locator and used it daily. But you really have to be more cautious and some things are just beyond your control. I personally don't think solo trip foolish or asking for trouble, but in the event you do have a problem, you are you only lifeline, and that's just the reality of it. But being miles back in the bush is by yourself is exillerating and I am sure if i would have bagged an animal, the feeling of success would of been like no other. Having said all that, there were times when I was out of my comfort zone and had to push through it. Ideally, a two person team in my opinion is the way to go, but you sure learn alot about yourself and what you are capable of when going it alone.

slopeshunter
11-27-2008, 06:11 PM
As a solo hunter you need to take less risks for sure. But if a grizzly decides to jump on your tent in the middle of the night, things aren't in your favor.......if you're solo or with a partner.
Look at the Kalspell/Fumerton grizz attack. Two guys with rifles in daylight hours. Difference was they were on a day hike and someone knew pretty much exactly where they were. The Spatzisi hunter was in a huge area and gone for a long period of time= needle in a haystack.
Maybe if he had a partner things would have turned out differently....maybe not.

SSS
I totally agree, when going solo you really have to be extra cautious and pick your route real well. I picked up a SPOT this year and feel it's well worth the cost for the information it provides to those on the other end. Although I really hope to only ever hit the 'ok' button.

Cheers

kennyj
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I've done many solo hunts over the years,and I love it.I also took a SPOT unit on this years Dall sheep hunt.That little unit made this hunt my most enjoyable hunt to date.No more worrying about people at home worrying about me.
kenny

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Has anybody heard anything new?

Jagermeister
12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
There is a GPS transmiter you can buy for about 200 bucks and it tracks you on google earth. It is called "SPOT" it cost another hundred for a company to moniter it for a year. It has a help button if you need help. a check in button and a track function. it is about the size of an flatten orange and weighs about the same. This may make the family feel a whole lot better when you go out on your own.SPOT, at the time was unknown, sat phones were, but that is more weight that serious back country visitors does not want to pack.
I knew Tom to see him and passed some idle time chatting with him at Cariboo Fly & Tackle. Seemed to be a happy-go-lucky type of individual. He was way better looking than Squire Barnes, a more rugged outdoors person, not some pussy dweeb.
The problem with Tom's hunt was the time length. Last contact with home on Sept 11/05 and he was not due home until Oct 02/05. That's 3 weeks. If he had an accident in the first week, there is still 2 more weeks before an alarm is issued. Chances of survival are pretty much non-existant after that point and the trail becomes very cold. A search was mounted almost immediately for Tom. One of Tom's co-workers and hunting buddys had provided Tom with a map of where Tom might go in his quest so there was some other information besides the location of his truck. Of course, by this time, snow had fallen and had drifted in some areas. The person that had provided Tom with the map was one of the initial searchers so they had a pretty good start considering the odds against them. One day it would be hoped to have some closure for Tom's wife and children.

Franko Manini
01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
40 years old and 360 lbs...

Yeah, I bet the logs are a lot bigger and the streams are a lot smaller too!

jwe63
01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes, hunting alone is a calculated risk, but one can be careful, and take one's time. Seems these days, snowboarding or skidooing is more dangerous than a backwoods hunt.