PDA

View Full Version : Got a bear - need help with fleshing hide

o2fish2day
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Ok so I got a bear with my buddy Pikey and we made a mess of the hide but I still want to play around with it so that next time I know what I am doing.

I have the hide in the garage and notice there are two very fine layers of meat on either side of the body of the bear. I tried to cut them out but keep putting holes in the rug.

My question is....if you take it to a taxidermist for tanning will they do this part (ie: flesh the hide) or do I have to figure this out. It is brutal. I can't seem to seperate the thin layer of meat from the skin without cutting the hide through. It's starting to look like swiss cheese...

Help!

srupp
06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
hmmm thats the taxidermists job..just get big fatty deposits off and any "red meat"

Steven

Gateholio
06-09-2008, 10:53 PM
yeah, the tanner or taxi does it. I've watched the tanners with a little steel cutting wheel, similar to a meat slicer blade. They run the hide back and forth on it, and it peels off the flesh very slick..

Take off any big chunks, and get rid of any branches, leaves or debris.

o2fish2day
06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Rats, wish I hadn't ruined it. How much would I pay typically to get a hide tanned (I suppose it doesn't matter what condition it's in.

Steeleco
06-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Unless it's real bad, the taxi might be able to sew it back together so long as it's worth it to you?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-10-2008, 04:50 AM
It's a lot easier to go slow and make sure all the fat and meat stays on the bear. I use a scalpel with replaceable blades so that I always have a razor sharp edge (makes a huge difference). Once fat is left on the hide it can be a nightmare and extremely time consuming to get off. Your taxi will use a fleshing machine and can get it done fast. Plus, if you try it yourself the hair may start to slip since it may take sooooooooo long.

Go slow and do it right once. You'll save a huge amount of time in the long run.

believe me......... I'm speaking from experience:roll:.

SSS

chilcotin hillbilly
06-10-2008, 06:36 AM
The answer is yes . Take it to a tannery or a taxidermist and they will look after everything. If you are in doubt of what to do exactly with caping the head, and turning the paws, leave them in and let the pros do the work. It may cost more, but the price is well worth it.

BiG Boar
06-10-2008, 06:55 AM
my taxidermist just said get as much as you can off of it and we will flesh out the head and paws. And make sure you salt it with 25lbs regular salt imediatley to set the hair. Apparently he says it holds in better in the long run or something

boxhitch
06-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Its always so much more work to skin something twice. Like SSS says, if done right at the beginning, leave as much meat and fat on the carcass instead of on the hide, it makes life easier.
It sounds like you are having some issues with the angle of the blade you are using. Think of planing the flesh off, instead of cutting. Sharp tools are essential.
Yes, the taxid will do it for you, they appreciate it fresh and unsalted if the timing is OK.
Lots of guys take the bear in whole, for the first go, and watch what is done correctly.

riflebuilder
06-10-2008, 07:30 AM
I got my bear tanned for $125 bucks. Rocky Mountain Tannery in Canal Flats BC. The guys name is Sebastian.

Rust
06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
A BIG X2 for going slow and leaving as much on the carcass as posable!!!!
YOu may or may not have wreck the cape, but bet you learned some stuff too. So not a total loss. Also see if you can get someone to show you what to do. Good luck.

Wild one
06-10-2008, 12:14 PM
If I was going to flesh the hide my self I would use a propper fleshing knife and flesing beam.Wich you would have to get from some were that handles trapping supplys.There is a reason most trappers use this metheod and they deal with more hides than hunters.

mainland hunter
06-10-2008, 03:19 PM
good post alli that should be stickied

Jimbo
06-10-2008, 06:42 PM
For my future reference, is a big bear hide any thicker or thinner than deer hide ? Easier or harder to work on ? My only bear experience came on a little sausage guy several years ago. I can't recall if it was any different.

bigwhiteys
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
found this step by step for skinning a bear

I know you are trying to be helpful but you can't copy/paste peoples web content like that. Just posting the link would be more suitable.

This is a copyright violation. Giving the author credit is great but nowhere on his site does it say he gives permission to reproduce his content... I believe that field guide is actually a sample of a product he sells.

Marc had some issues with copyright violations a little while ago I don't think he wanted more ;)

Just my 2 webcents.

Carl

newhunterette
06-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I know you are trying to be helpful but you can't copy/paste peoples web content like that. Just posting the link would be more suitable.

This is a copyright violation. Giving the author credit is great but nowhere on his site does it say he gives permission to reproduce his content... I believe that field guide is actually a sample of a product he sells.

Marc had some issues with copyright violations a little while ago I don't think he wanted more ;)

Just my 2 webcents.

Carl

I have put a phone call in to the gentleman and his receptionist said he will call me tomorrow (yes I called Alaska to keep things legal so Marc doesnt have issues as I would never post to cause him any troubles intentionally)

I took your 2 cents and deleted it so you could smile about it.

oh Considering this person has given his permission on numerous occasions for webposting of this said information, I hardly think it will be a problem.

Ali

bigwhiteys
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Black Bear Field Care Guide (http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm) <---- That's how easy it is to not violate someones copyright.

I am not trying to be a terd. I work on the web all day. If he's given permission to someone else to use his content that does not include everyone else. Forum owners/administrators have in fact been found liable in court for content posted on their website by members.

Good on you for giving him a call! He may not even care but considering he sells a related product from his website I know he'll appreciate the link.

Carl

newhunterette
06-11-2008, 07:06 AM
deleted link for protection<---- That's how easy it is to not violate someones copyright.

I am not trying to be a terd. I work on the web all day. If he's given permission to someone else to use his content that does not include everyone else. Forum owners/administrators have in fact been found liable in court for content posted on their website by members.

Good on you for giving him a call! He may not even care but considering he sells a related product from his website I know he'll appreciate the link.

Carl

Carl, that's where you are wrong - even using a link is also a copyright violation according to the Copyright Act - so with you adding the link - you violated his copyright just in case you didn't know as well as me just quoting your post is a copyright infringment according to copyright act

and sorry for highjacking the thread

for anyone looking for information - just do an internet search - usually u will find what u need and therefore posting on teh forums won't be necessary for adding information to those asking - posting on forums should only be for personal uses not spreading someone elses information on to others as it is even copyrighted to post any information you receive from friends emails or private messages which is also considered a copyright infrigement

so much for helping your neighbour out as there is no loop holes to get around it only a matter if someone wishes to pursue a civil case against another

as I called the said person to receive his permission to post and will await his call before sharing again

Alison

ps: feel free now to help fellow HBC'ers with your personal information in regards to fleshing a bear skin if you don't mind everyone reading the tips you have

bigwhiteys
06-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Carl, that's where you are wrong - even using a link is also a copyright violation according to the Copyright Act - so with you adding the link - you violated his copyright just in case you didn't know as well as me just quoting your post is a copyright infringment according to copyright act

Ali... This is what I do for a living. I work on the web and own several sites. Posting a link to someones written information on the web is certainly not copyright infringement it's actually the preferred method and widely accepted on the intraweb. If you post a link to someones "private" internal pages (ie. paid membership sites) then yes it can be a violation.

ps: feel free now to help fellow HBC'ers with your personal information in regards to fleshing a bear skin if you don't mind everyone reading the tips you have

Some Great Skinning Tips ----> Black Bear Field Care Guide (http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm) <---- Here You Go.

Copyright Infringement On HBC (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22231) <---- Here You Go As Well.

Marc is a friend of mine and as you can see he's already posted a thread regarding posting others material. I was merely bringing it to your attention. I guess a PM may have been a better idea.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Carl