PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies and transmissions...

BCHunterFSJ
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
My son Sacha and his friend Ken Latreille both drew LEH grizzly tags for Region 7-38. My wife Florence and I joined them. We hunted the Mesilinka River / Aiken Lake / Lay Creek areas. Hunt was from May 29 to June 3, 2008.
We drove from Fort St. John to Mackenzie and took the Causeway across a narrow part of the south end of Williston Lake. We were 140 kilometers up the Finlay Forest Service Road when the transmission on my truck blew! Some 2 hours later Sacha and Ken showed up and towed us with their truck back to Mackenzie where we "camped" in a huge gravel pit.
The next morning we took the camper off and got hold of a tow truck in Mackenzie. I stayed behind with Magnum (my dog) to guard the camper while Florence went with the tow truck to Prince George and the "truck hospital". Sacha and Ken continued on to the hunting area.
May 31: Florence got back around 3:00 PM, with $3000 less in our bank account... We set off to rejoin our partners, almost 300 kilometers north of our location, all on forestry and mine roads. We saw 10 bears on the way up, one of them a small grizzly. However, we did not find Sacha and Ken that night.
The guys showed up next morning (they hunted the Osilinka area and had stayed there over night). In the morning we hunted the Lay Creek area between Aiken and Johansen Lakes. A lot of south facing slopes and avalanche chutes have greened up nicely, but the Johansen Lake area was still quite wintery. Florence and I saw 1 black bear, while the boys saw three. They then drove back to Osilinka to pick up their camp. So there I was, sitting in a lawn chair, occasionally doing some glassing, listening to a babbling brook, looking at snow capped mountains. My good wife and my faithful dog were at my side, and I was sipping on a long gin and tonic. Does life get any better than that?
We had spotted 2 black bears by the time the boys got back. I then joined them for an evening hunt in back of Aiken Lake (it doesn’t get dark here until at least 10:30). We hunted old cutblocks and glassed some wonderful mountain sides and finally Sacha spotted a grizzly on a snow slide. And then out came a second grizzly! Out came the spotting scopes, and we watched them frolicking, play-fighting, and sliding and tumbling down that steep snow slide. They were two mature bears, and it sure looked like "foreplay" prior to mating! But, alas, they were too far away and it was too late in the day. Florence prepared fabulous ribs over the campfire, and everyone got a little drunk...
Next morning we were up real early and heading off to grizzly mountain. We glassed the area until noon and finally gave up. No sign of those bears! Back at camp, Florence (The Northern Gourmet) made up a batch of pancakes served with smoked salmon and fried ham.
Delicious! The guys left for home, while Florence and I moved our camp to Uslika Lake and then departed for home next morning. We had seen a total of 20 black bears and 3 grizzlies.
Not bad at all, but I sure wish that the transmission hadn’t blown up...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/Grizzhunt032jpgA.jpg

My son and I in 7-38 grizz country!

Leaseman
06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Even with the tranny problems, sounds like a great trip!! Looks like some good looking country too...!!

BiG Boar
06-09-2008, 12:03 PM
wow that looks really awsome! Was it a long enough hunt? How long would you plan a grizz hunt for if you could?

boxhitch
06-09-2008, 12:40 PM
It appears like the evenings were spent at the fire, instead of at the slopes, especially at bear:30, the best time.
It sounds like you got off easy, with only 3k for the tranny, considering the location. That was good.

bwhnter
06-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Victor,
Sounds like a wonderful trip even though no shots were fired. It looks like beautiful country. Just hearing about Florence's cooking makes my mouth water. Too bad about the trany problems but I am glad that you perservered.

Royd

Mik
06-10-2008, 05:35 AM
That is great country up there. mesilinka, Osilinka ---gets the blood goin'.I used to hunt 7-39, lots of good memories.Thanks for the story.

hunter1947
06-10-2008, 06:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your transmission BCH. I know what that is all about ,I lost mine last year and it coast me 4,700.00.

I was a little luckier then you mine started to act up on me on the way home from Smithers BC.

Lots of People have said in a different post that standards are way better then autos.

In my earlier years I would not of even thought of owning an auto ,but as you get older you enjoy the non shifting of the standard.

You did not connect but the main thing is that all had a good time on the hunt except for the transmission problem.

Very nice right up ,thanks for posting your hunt BCH ,PS the best thing for you is that dad ended up with you on this trip ,I know that it is a week befor fathers day ,but to you fathers day came early ,good for you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif :smile:.

sneg
06-10-2008, 07:27 AM
good story

308Lover
06-10-2008, 10:53 AM
This year marks the 40th anniversary of our first hunt in the Germanson Landing Uslika Lake-Osilinka-Mesalinka and roads beyond Aiken Lake. What a thrill to read your post and see the pic of an awesome region. There was no causeway or shortcut--we went through Ft. St. James---a real bush-road Odyssey for sure. Thrilled you had such a great partner to take the truck for a fix--all part of the game. Took an early season hunt up there a few years back--the temp soared to 35 degrees Celsius! Fried us out.
Keep on trucking--and send more photos of that great place!

BCHunterFSJ
06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys. This appears to be a great forum; wish I would have found it earlier. 308Lover wants more photos, so here goes...

Hunting area in back of Aiken Lake

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/Grizzhunt025jpgA.jpg

Myself, Florence, Sacha, and Magnum at camp
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/Grizzhunt021jpgA.jpg

hunter1947
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Cool pic thank's for posting them http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

BigBanger
06-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for sharing . Nice photos .

Aaron Blom
06-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I did some work on Oz main last year and we saw griz every morning on the drive from the camp to where we were working.

BCHunterFSJ
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
A nice family photo in a beautiful setting!
Setbacks sometimes happen!
A while back our transmission broke down on Blackdome mtn. near Empire Valley. Towed to Williams Lake(couldn’t work on it for at least a week) –had to be towed to Van.Three weeks later the starter went (by Ward Creek north of Gang) –Towed to Williams Lake again . Total damage about 8 grand.
The only problem we had in 7-38 country was flat tires. Now days we carry 2 spares , tire patches, 120v 125 psi Electric Air Compressor & a Honda generator (this year a new backup -a Cummins Onan )
By the way Florences meals sound delicious!

And I thought I had mechanical problems...
Florence's cooking is indeed delicious. She has a catering company called The Northern Gourmet here in Fort St. John. We like to take her hunting as often as possible!