PDA

View Full Version : back country air strips

pupper
06-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone has some spots to fly in on a landing strip and then have a nice trout lake within hiking distance. (my father in law has a Cessna) I would like to go some where away from all the crowds for some nice trout fishing and bear hunting. PM me or post in this thread if you know of any landing spots.

cheers

06-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Good luck with this one Pupper, has the aircraft got balloon tires for landing on creek beds?
Most strips are there for a reason, (eg. Guide outfitters ) and they will NOT like you using the strip...plane unlikely in the same shape when you go to take off.
GOOD LUCK

GoatGuy
06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
There are a pile of strips up north - most of the smaller strips won't fit a cessna unless it has some jam.

What kind of a Cessna?

Tri-cycle or tail dragger?

newhunterette
06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
sorry pupper - the few strips I know about are private air strips - it would be very hard to get permission to use them - however a float plane would probably be easier

as curly top said (guide outfitters not so willing to share their private air strips)

Ali

pupper
06-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I figured as much, nothing worth while is easy but I was hoping someone could give me something!

pupper
06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
There are a pile of strips up north - most of the smaller strips won't fit a cessna unless it has some jam.

What kind of a Cessna?

Tri-cycle or tail dragger?

its a tri cycle 172

pupper
06-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Good luck with this one Pupper, has the aircraft got balloon tires for landing on creek beds?
Most strips are there for a reason, (eg. Guide outfitters ) and they will NOT like you using the strip...plane unlikely in the same shape when you go to take off.
GOOD LUCK

thanks for the positive HELP:biggrin:

newhunterette
06-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I figured as much, nothing worth while is easy but I was hoping someone could give me something!

I will try asking but I can't promise anything - if I get a positive vibe I will let you know :) thats the best I can do.

BCrams
06-08-2008, 10:03 AM
For fishing..... land at Scoop Lake Outfitters air strip (good strip) and they have cabins and will even put you up if you wanted to fish the lake.

Most guide outfitter airstrips are not privately owned and are on crown land. Anyone can use them. Now days, it would be pretty futile for an outfitter to sabotage a plane as they would risk losing their GO business.

srupp
06-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I will ask Tim when he gets back from his one month cruise..sheesh..

Most strips up north are on crown land..and it is a VERY SERIOUS offense to tamper with airstrips or aircraft..I would not be too concerned..as that would be a CRIMINAL offense..

Steven

GoatGuy
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
its a tri cycle 172

Coldfish and Bear both have strips that are big enough for a 172. I haven't landed on Coldfish but I've heard it's quite bumpy. Likely doable in a 172.

The others that come to mind are gonna need a bit more plane.

pupper
06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
what about north of stave lake, has anyone landed there recently. How is that airstrip?

ryanb
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
How about Chilko lake? That's a real nice gravel strip.

boatdoc
06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
pupper the airstrip at the north end of stave lake used to be well maintianed. A heli show was using it as a landing a few years ago and really tore it up . Don't know if it has been fixed up but mabey the forest service would . I think the contractor should have repaired it but last time i was there it was pretty bad. Keep in mind i haven't been there for a while.