PDA

View Full Version : New To BC need info on moose hunting!

drakehunter
06-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey there folks, glad I found this forum, there is lots of information and tips on here, i moved here about 3 months ago now and am looking forward to moose hunting this fall, where do you suggest I go? ive herd the prince george area is suppose to be really good but i dont want to hunt where I see somebody every 20 min well walking through the bush. What do you suggest for approach, tree stands or walking, driving logging roads? any information would be much appreciated thanks!

mntman
06-07-2008, 12:39 PM
need to know where abouts you are located and how far you are willing to travel for a rubber nose swamp donkey

Jelvis
06-07-2008, 01:09 PM
drakehunter. Hey nice to see you on the site you picked a good one.
I was wondering if you have hunted the moose before and have you been successful in your hunting?
Also walking in the bush is good. Do you like good roads to hunt off? Quads? Horses? Packing or hunting along rivers with a boat?
This way a person could figure out why to go where to different moose habitat with different kinds of access.
If you just like driving up and into a spot and drive around looking off road into meadows and swamps and maybe walking around a bit theres lots of spots to do these things.
Off hand I would say Reg 6 or 7 would be where a person could start looking into and focus on a smaller area within. For the best moose hunting imo.
Just talk about moose hunting experience or not too much yet. Then we can start to get a good area and spot.
Jelvis.

drakehunter
06-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I have hunted moose in the past back in northern ontario with little success, but that was combined with fishing trips and not much effort put into the hunting as much. As for vehicals we won't have anything except for man power and a few 4x4 trucks, im located in langley/surrey, we dont have any dates booked just yet, but we are hoping to hunt for 4-5 days and a few weekends if that doesnt pull through. We are planning on setting up a basecamp on crown land and looking for swamps or valleys to sit over.

newhunterette
06-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Drakehunter - there is a certain initiation you have to do as a new member - and seeing Mr.Dean is not online to tell you, I will let you in on the secret

before anyone will give u advice or information you MUST tell a joke - all us newbies had to do this or face the wrath of our Mr Dean. hehehehehee

and welcome to the site - it is a wonderful place to hang out - lots of really great people here

Alison

Jelvis
06-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Sounds like you have made a number of options to fit your plan around and thats half the fun.
Those combined trips can be a lot of good times. That word effort is quite important I hear ya.
Vehicles heck if you got any vehicle like a pick-up especially a four wheel that should be more than enough.
Langley/Surrey is in a spot thats fairly easy to get on the 401 out of town.
Four or five days sounds about right to me and a few week ends would fill the bill.
Crown land is every where and can be used to your full enjoyment. With swamps and valleys galore, you got it made in B.C.
What kind of maps and atlases do you use to see the management units?
Have you thought of limited entry hunting or just want general open season, cause I would recommend leh but there are general open seasons and spike/fork moose also.
Have you got a leh synopsis?
One spot that I would get you to look up on a decent recreational atlas would be;
Between Burns Lake and Telkwa on either side of the valley.
Another spot too - Mu 6-5 and 6-6 the road north, from Burns Lake to Babine Lake. Look at these areas then see the leh available. Jel
The logging spurs off this road.

Carignan Salieres
06-07-2008, 02:50 PM
before anyone will give u advice or information you MUST tell a joke - all us newbies had to do this or face the wrath of our Mr Dean. hehehehehee

Sadly, I was not given this information either.

I know lots of good spots for moose, but they are the spots everyone else knows about too. I am still looking for a spot that only 2 or 3 know about, that is the trick.

quadrakid
06-07-2008, 02:53 PM
welcome to bc ,tons of hunting opportunities here.make sure you have your residency before you pick up a licence.you need to have been a resident for six months to be legal. you should be good to go this fall.

Frango
06-07-2008, 03:06 PM
You well also need a BC hunter number.That involves a test.Welcome and good luck.

BCHunterFSJ
06-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Region 7B is great for moose, but one heck of a long way for you to travel. I know lots of great spots. Let me know...

Vansmasher
06-07-2008, 06:49 PM
You well also need a BC hunter number.That involves a test.Welcome and good luck.
You will not need to write the test to get your BC hunter #, if you already have an Ontario hunting licence.... just go into any BCACCESS centre and get 'er done.
As for moose hunting around Prince George, I would suggest not if you're wanting to get away from crouds..... there are moose around PG but it gets hunted extremely hard.
Go WAYYYYY up north..... as far as your wallet will take you. There's more moose, bigger moose, less hunters and most of the MU's are open bull (meaning no LEH tag required, all you'd need is a moose licence).
Cheers.

Jelvis
06-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Your probably going to end up general open season, you got to get everything in for leh by the 13th of june big fella. so one night delivery is a must now! Or a week at the post office hidden under tons of mail. Too late to be on time.
Always next year for leh. Unless you got or had your hunting license from Ontario and can take it in to gov office. and git er done and buy leh cards make em out and send um special delivery overnight express rolling into Victoria MOE. then see where the chips fall and go from thar. Good luck Jel
Otherwise I would suggest a spike/forker and you could hunt closer to Surrey by going to the nearest spike/forker opening and hunt for moose and muley. How about a leh for antlerless deer if your fast at getting it done in Victoria.
One suggestion Monte Lake area for spike/fork bullwinkle and gos deer. Mu 3-20 Jelvis

threedhunter
06-07-2008, 10:28 PM
actualy, you need your grad cert for the program in ont.your old hunting license may not be good enough depending on where you attempt to obtain your hunter number.i teach the program and was told that these are neccesary to get a bc number.othewise , challenge the exam to get it. threedhunter:smile:

hunter1947
06-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Welcome to the forum DH.

If I was you I would meet some new friends that are hunters that live in your area ,you have lots of time still left to do this. Then if there nice enough they will take you out on some hunts and show you where to go for moose.

Hint...... if you head north to Chedwen that area carries a good population of moose. At the end of moberly lake there is a road called Johnson creek road ,it is a logging road ,head back on this road ,anywhere in there is excelent moose country.

This area is open for any bull for the last two weeks of Oug ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Spuddge
06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Welcome Drakehunter, way up north is where they be.

BCHunterFSJ
06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the forum DH.

If I was you I would meet some new friends that are hunters that live in your area ,you have lots of time still left to do this. Then if there nice enough they will take you out on some hunts and show you where to go for moose.

Hint...... if you head north to Chedwen that area carries a good population of moose. At the end of moberly lake there is a road called Johnson creek road ,it is a logging road ,head back on this road ,anywhere in there is excelent moose country.

This area is open for any bull for the last two weeks of Oug ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

I knowthe Johnson Creek Road out of Chetwynd. Good for moose, but also watch out for elk!!

Jelvis
06-08-2008, 10:06 PM
You can drive up the Coquihalla Hwy and when you get to Meadow Creek at Logan Lake turnoff, (check map) turn towards Logan Lake and drive then a few km you see Mile High to the right. In there is fairly good for moose and deer. Closer to your place and good driving right to the spots. Gos spike/fork moose, check regs first. Mu 3-19 <----Jel-Mile High----> good + close

icecap
06-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Welcome Drakehunter,
You're also a member on huntontario.com. I am also from Ontario (southern ON). Welcome to Raincouver! I hope you enjoy your stay here. There are much more variety of species to hunt in BC. Best of luck.

/icecap

hunter1947
06-11-2008, 03:14 AM
You can drive up the Coquihalla Hwy and when you get to Meadow Creek at Logan Lake turnoff, (check map) turn towards Logan Lake and drive then a few km you see Mile High to the right. In there is fairly good for moose and deer. Closer to your place and good driving right to the spots. Gos spike/fork moose, check regs first. Mu 3-19 <----Jel-Mile High----> good + close Jel its people like you that are great people on this site.

You do what you can to help others out ,good for you ,if i was going to give a cigar to any one today it would be to you :smile:.

sparkymacker
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Jel its people like you that are great people on this site.

You do what you can to help others out ,good for you ,if i was going to give a cigar to any one today it would be to you :smile:.

I like Jelvis better when he is on his medication, when he is not his posts get somewhat incoherent :-P.

Jelvis
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
If you drive the Fraser Canyon Route number 1, it can be a good look. Try around Cache Creek, North on 97 about 18 km and go up right (east) onto Scottie Creek, good for game right through there early season. Jel-good area to camp and hunt on top. Mu 3-30 by Cache-Creek. close.

Flingin' Sticks
06-19-2008, 03:55 PM
as said earlier, stay away from PG if you don't like crowds...we have 2 GOS seasons for moose that overlap, so come mid october, the woods are packed!! we do have some good moose up here, and if you can get drawn one year (I like 7-14 or 15 personally, but lost of hunters) and get up here early in the season, it's not too bad. as soon as october comes though, stay out.

moosinaround
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
If you come up to the Prince George way give me a PM. I'll put ya into some good moose country, you will have to do the rest though, unless you bring lots of cold beer then i'll take you to the moose!! Seriously though give me a PM if yer coming to PG. Moosin

Mr. Friendly
06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Drakehunter - there is a certain initiation you have to do as a new member - and seeing Mr.Dean is not online to tell you, I will let you in on the secret

and welcome to the site - it is a wonderful place to hang out - lots of really great people here

Alison
I haven't posted much on here yet and fortunately I haven't faced Mr. Dean's wrath yet either *foosh!* so I will follow up with a pre-emptive joke!

the joke:
what's big, green, fuzzy, has four legs and if it fell out of a tree could kill you?

...time to think...

...time to ponder...

...time to scratch your head in befuddlement...

the answer:
a pool table! :cool:

Stresd
06-19-2008, 07:07 PM
If you drive the Fraser Canyon Route number 1, it can be a good look. Try around Cache Creek, North on 97 about 18 km and go up right (east) onto Scottie Creek, good for game right through there early season. Jel-good area to camp and hunt on top. Mu 3-30 by Cache-Creek. close.

Jel you just reminded me of when I used to hunt Scotty over 30 years ago. Awesome hunting. Took many a Moose and Deer off of the hill. Back then you turned off of the highway into a guys driveway. 100 yards in up beside the house was a big gate just festoon with Warning and Do not Enter Signs. The house owners attempt at stopping traffic coming through. It work on a lot of people who did not realizethat is was not the guys driveway, but that it was an FS fire access rd.;-) With my Cruiser and some winching you could come out at Deadmans Creek. All gone now when they punched the main road through:-(. I haven't been back since, so it is nice to hear that it is still a productive area. Thanks for the memories:cool:

outdoorswoman
06-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Iam in 7a and there lots of good moose hunting here 7B is wicked and a tonnnnn of elk

Flingin' Sticks
06-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Drake,

I just read my first post, and I realized that it sounded like I don't want you to come up here. Not the case, and If you do, I'd gladly take you out for a swamp donkey. what I wanted to stress is that PG is really crowed and overhunted at times, and if you don't like that, than maybe it's not the best option. If you still want to come, say the word, and I'll be there to help you out.

Phreddy
06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
The best moose spots are the ones no one, ever, talks about. That's why they're still the best moose spots.
Best way to get started is to joing a reputable fish & game club, get active in it, and pretty soon you'll know of some pretty good spots and have a lot of good hunting friends.