PDA

View Full Version : Another Bear, Thats it for me!!

BeerBaitnAmmo
06-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Went to Boston Bar tuesday afternoon, came away with bear #2 this season. Nice black with white chevron. Not huge, but perfect for tanning. Hunting partner got nice cinnamin with white chevron. Made perfect head shot at 400yrds. Road was snowed in though, so we packed it out whole about 700yrds back to the truck. Was a great afternoon. The only problem now is that I have to wait till deer season....:( Sorry for the pic size, not sure how to make them bigger....

newhunterette
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
congratulations on ur bears

ruttinbuck
06-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow...perfect head shot at 400yds!!
I'll bite,your bud must practice that shot an awful lot.I've done a fair bit of shooting over the last 25+ years,hold my own shooting paper and animals at longer ranges and can't say I would be trying that shot.My congrats to you both and please let us know when you try another 400yd head shot on a bear.I don't want anyone I know going near a wounded bear.With that level of marksmanship you could have made a perfect shot at a higher percentage target on the bear.RB

5 spike
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
great bears boys, 400yds holy smokes.

srupp
06-06-2008, 06:42 PM
hmmmmm 400 yard headshot /???hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Steven

Bighorn hunter
06-06-2008, 06:50 PM
He didn't say that was where he was aiming? Just that it was a perfect head shot.

daycort
06-06-2008, 06:51 PM
nice bears guys.

hmmmmm 400 yard headshot /???hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My congrats to you both and please let us know when you try another 400yd head shot on a bear.I don't want anyone I know going near a wounded bear

Why can't some people on this site just let it be. If he said he made it he made it. Who are you or I to judge.

Elkhound
06-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Careful guys. For some this is not a hard shot. We have a member that never posts that I know personally. He is a retired SAS sniper from England and makes 800+ head shots on game all the time. Just cause I don't do it does not mean others can't.

He has taken over 3000 deer in his life. All head shots.

play nice

Elkhound
06-06-2008, 07:15 PM
oh ya.....almost forgot. glad you got your bears guys

sealevel
06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
anyone have one of those symbols of a man shoveling sh??t . Its getting kinda deep.:lol:;)

Elkhound
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
anyone have one of those symbols of a man shoveling sh??t . Its getting kinda deep.:lol:;)

Think what you want but he is a very dear friend of mine. After his retirement he got a job managing deer herds on private estates in europe. In a year he would cull over 300 deer. He did it for over 10years before he moved here. Do the math. And I have seen his meticulous records he had to keep for the estate owners. Dates, shots taken, where on the property, etc........

Plus his incredible trophy room that I have posted on here before with the chinese water deer and Muntjacs and other exotic game.

The Dawg
06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Think what you want but he is a very dear friend of mine. After his retirement he got a job managing deer herds on private estates in europe. In a year he would cull over 300 deer. He did it for over 10years before he moved here. Do the math. And I have seen his meticulous records he had to keep for the estate owners. Dates, shots taken, where on the property, etc........

Plus his incredible trophy room that I have posted on here before with the chinese water deer and Muntjacs and other exotic game.

You are possibly talking about the same someone I know on here as well...EXCELLENT shot....can vouch for it as well...nice bears BTW :)

srupp
06-06-2008, 08:20 PM
hmmmm daycourt..I wasnt going HMMMM because I didnt believe it..although the "average " hunter shooter this would be an extremely difficult shot..and he "may" have made it..I wasnt there..

I went HMMMM because I didnt think it was a ethical shot...not one for the average hunter head shot and long range..glad for the bears sake..

I see the same stuff on "hunting the west 980 yard shots when it was perfectly simple to get w/i 200 yards.

Im not a fan of head shots..ever...and the margin of error at 400 yards..well...should not be attempted..IMO...

Steven

06-06-2008, 08:25 PM
On the "perfect head shot... 400 yds."
Well now, I can recall my brother in laws first deer, a nice W/T buck 150yards out, I'm whispering to him, just behind the front leg...the kill zone I showed you.......AND BANG! Down the buck goes with....." a perfect head shot " .
Boy if thats what your going to do everytime, your the guy I want to hunt with.

Like I said...A perfect head shot!

LOL to funny!

Ovis17
06-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Never mind the shot, I'm sorry but the first brown looks like a frikken cub......................

lip_ripper00
06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
as long as its not part of a family unit it legal, hunters disgression.

hunter1947
06-07-2008, 05:21 AM
Good going on the two bears that you got this year young fella ,the one brown is small but as long as it was not with the mother and was on its own then you take what you think is right for you.

I know that I would have not taken one that little myself ,but its up to the hunter to decide what he wants.

The 400 yard shot for the head is a no no in my books. ,anyways congrats.

johnk
06-07-2008, 06:30 AM
hmmmm daycourt..I wasnt going HMMMM because I didnt believe it..although the "average " hunter shooter this would be an extremely difficult shot..and he "may" have made it..I wasnt there..

I went HMMMM because I didnt think it was a ethical shot...not one for the average hunter head shot and long range..glad for the bears sake..

I see the same stuff on "hunting the west 980 yard shots when it was perfectly simple to get w/i 200 yards.

Im not a fan of head shots..ever...and the margin of error at 400 yards..well...should not be attempted..IMO...

Steven

Up to 3 years ago I had no opinion of headshots though I had never even tried one but that all changed. We got a call at the lodge that some fishermen had towed a dead immy into the boat launch at Leighton Lake. After some investigation we found out that the poor animal's jaw hinge was shattered and he had been standing in Leighton trying to lap up water for two days.
After phoning the CO we brought the front end loader and loaded him in the pickup. We then gutted, skinned and delivered him to the butcher where he weighed in at 260# and not an ounce of fat on him. The butcher figured he hadn't eaten in a week. No Headshots Please!

sawmill
06-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Careful guys. For some this is not a hard shot. We have a member that never posts that I know personally. He is a retired SAS sniper from England and makes 800+ head shots on game all the time. Just cause I don't do it does not mean others can't.

He has taken over 3000 deer in his life. All head shots.

play nice

If you ate 10 deer a year for 100 years you would only need to kill a thousand deer.What the **** did he do with the other two thousand?

Steeleco
06-07-2008, 09:36 AM
If you ate 10 deer a year for 100 years you would only need to kill a thousand deer.What the **** did he do with the other two thousand?

I know in the eastern states they are overrun with deer. They have teams grow corn to attract the deer. Then they set up at night and Cull hundreds. They all go to a local food bank. Maybe this fellow did similar?

Muleycatcher
06-07-2008, 09:38 AM
my first deer I ever took at 16 was a headshot, it dropped where it stood..if you can do it and know you can then go for it. Some can shoot better than others, that's just the way it is. Anything at great distances i dont do a headshot, just my preference, and that's all it is is "my preference" who are other people to say someone is wrong when they dont know what they can or cannot do..just my opinion though..I say nice job on the bears. you guys got them and that's all that counts..as for the size maybe some people dont want to take more than they can consume so a smaller bear is all they want..nothing wrong with that if it is a legal kill.

Elkhound
06-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Actually the meat was donated to local butcher shops for the most part, food banks, his and friends families got some when permitted.

Gateholio
06-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Some people can hit what they aim for, some can't

Shooter
06-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I used to do headshots quite regularly. My thought was always that if I hit where I'm aiming the deer will drop on the spot. If I miss the deer will live another day. A few years ago I spotted 2 decent bucks standing beside each other at about 75 yards away. Easy shot by any estimation. Once again I figured "behind the ear will put him down fast." Well I squeezed off a shot offhand and he jumped up in the air like I had hit him in the chest and he ran off. After a little tracking (no blood trail tho) I came across him again walking away from me. Walking not running. I waited untill he stopped and I took the shot again. He didn't act like he was hit this time. He ran about 10 feet and then stopped and started walking again. All this time he was walking across a clearcut so I found it weird that he was walking and not running and I was also getting upset with myself for missing. Well again I got up on top of a very large stump and braced myself very well. The deer stopped a little more than quartering away from me with his head down and just stood there. I didnt really have a good shot right there so I just waited. Eventually he lifted his head up and I put a bullet just behind his ear. He did a backflip and landed on his back but he was down finally at least. when I walked up towards him he was lying completely motionless so I thought he was dead. As I got within 15 feet of him he lifted his head and tried to get up again. So it took one more shot to fininsh him off. Now at this point I was quite confused about what had all happened but when I looked him over (sparing some very gorey details) It seemed that all my shots had connected in the neck/head region but by some freak circumstance none had hit anything vital untill the final shot.After that day and seeing the damage first hand that a fairly well placed bullet can do to an animal without killing it quickly and humanely needless to say I am not so quick to choose a headshot these days. And that was at close range.

pupper
06-07-2008, 04:49 PM

Steven

agreed, good points Steven.

Woodrow
06-07-2008, 06:19 PM
two bears down, good job!

BeerBaitnAmmo
06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
lol, some people have alot of time and opinions. You are all so entitiled. It was an awesome trip. The shot in question measured 378 yrds on a leica 1200 rangefinder, I ranged it myself before the shot. As anyone that has hunted bears knows their size is very decieving when they are running past you at 20 yrds, let alone in a cut block at 400 yrds (we all thought it was a huge bear standing next to that huge stump, which turned out to be a small stump = smaller bear). The rifle was a 300 RUM, and I have seen my hunting partner shoot very accuratly consistantly at long ranges, I dont believe this shot was too much of a challange. He is not a sniper, nor was he in the SAS, but has hunted his entire life and has his own reasons for either taking or not taking the shot and were he placed it, I wasnt looking through the scope. We both hunt ethically and hate to see a wounded animal, I cant imagine anyone who would. I was quite impressed with the shot, and admire him for it. To anyone who can make that shot look easy, good on you. just my 2cents coming back... PS - if anyone would like to point me in the direction of the "big" bears, that would be great as we saw 5 bears, all the same size.... :)

martyonthewater
06-07-2008, 10:21 PM
congrats on the nice pair of bruins today, don't let the highbrow sphincter police bring you down.

ElectricDyck
06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Congrats on the bears. My small bear from boston bar is very tasty.:biggrin:

BiG Boar
06-09-2008, 07:03 AM
congrats on the nice pair of bruins today, don't let the highbrow sphincter police bring you down.

haha, I'm with this guy. If you post stories like this and pictures like those, people will come down on you in here. Try photoshop, and lying more. Good job on the bears man. Where abouts in boston bar?

kishman
06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you boys had a good time, congrats on the Bears:smile:.