PDA

View Full Version : LEH Results

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 04:55 AM
So do you guys get any draws??.......................
Just kidding..........:roll:

Actually, I noticed the result date is posted in the regs is July 17:confused:??
Most years it's around July 7th or so.

That leaves...oh..say....... 10 friggin days to finalize plans for a hunt in the furthest, most remote corner of the Province??? WTF???:mad:

I know we usually find out online a couple of days before the date posted in the regs but I thought they were trying to improve the system....not "un-improve" it:sad:.
I really hate to complain about how "systems" are run but come on!!! This is complete crap!!!

My rant

SSS

kennyj
06-06-2008, 05:42 AM
I agree,It doesn't give me much time to plan my trip to the Tat.
Kenny

Radar
06-06-2008, 05:56 AM
What do the paper pushers and tax creators in Victoria know about planning anything.....

Fisher-Dude
06-06-2008, 05:59 AM
I really hate to complain about how "systems" are run but come on!!! This is complete crap!!!

My rant

SSS

Today, 04:55 AM
Stone Sheep Steve (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=1509) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Worm Boy

My advice for you is to get that swollen over-40 prostate dealt with so that you can sleep through the night. It's making you very belligerent. Yer fallin' apart man, first it was the clutch-knee, now this.

Tell the guy doing the LEH review how you feel. :biggrin:

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Today, 04:55 AM
Stone Sheep Steve (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=1509) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Worm Boy

My advice for you is to get that swollen over-40 prostate dealt with so that you can sleep through the night. It's making you very belligerent. Yer fallin' apart man, first it was the clutch-knee, now this.

Tell the guy doing the LEH review how you feel. :biggrin:

You know what they say......"the early bird gets the worm" .....maybe that's my problem:-(.

That poor guy hear's enough complaining...doesn't need to hear it from me. The info he provided to Victoria is not what was implemented. If you say turn "right", they go "left".

Actually, I believe I voiced my opinion back when the review was being done.

SSS

boxhitch
06-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Must be some confusion. I thought the input suggested the deadlines be moved, but they took the wrong direction. Results should be in hand JUNE 17 or better June 1.

....get that swollen over-40 prostate dealt with....
..Tell the guy doing the LEH review how you feel
GG does have his hands in everything, doesn't he

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Must be some confusion. I thought the input suggested the deadlines be moved, but they took the wrong direction. Results should be in hand JUNE 17 or better June 1.

GG does have his hands in everything, doesn't he

I don't think "Proctologist" is on his resume:confused:.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
06-06-2008, 06:26 AM
I don't think "Protologist" is on his resume:confused:.

SSS

Business major, satistician, guide, pilot, mailman, seems proctologist is a natural career progression?

boxhitch
06-06-2008, 06:49 AM
And then, politics.

Oh,wait......he is there now.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 07:05 AM
I don't think Victoria has a need for another Proctologist. Every there does there own self-examinations:roll:.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/6a00d834517b5669e200e54f1e18ce8833-800wi.gif

SSS

Flinch
06-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Rumor has it LEH application will be online next year with hunting licences the year after. If LEH cards are filled out digitally, this would eliminate the data entry time which is one of the big causes of the delay. This could be some light at the end of the tunnel, but as always I am a bit cynical.

srupp
06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
SSS..Im planning already...what???you HAVE NOT got your results yet???
All the results are already out up here in the Cariboo...lol...

OOOOOOPS...

Fred

Phreddy
06-06-2008, 09:35 AM
[quote=Stone Sheep Steve;290326]You know what they say......"the early bird gets the worm" .....maybe that's my problem:-(.
quote]

Are you telling us you think you might have worms SSS? Don't worry about LEH, sounds like you're more prepared to go fishing. :biggrin:

BiG Boar
06-06-2008, 11:54 AM
some people who arnt applying this year must already have thier results right?

dana
06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Hmmm,
I complain about the fact they don't lower the youth tag prices like they promised and I get a bunch of guys from the Recruitment Camp jumping down my throat and now I see this? WTF??? SSS, all I ever hear from you is Complain, Complain, Complain. The question is "What are YOU doing about it?"

dana
06-06-2008, 02:17 PM
If GG responds, I'm sure he'll blame the results date on the hunters. It is always the hunter's fault right????

behemoth
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
The regs state the you should receive your results through the mail by July 17th. This means they will be online sooner

dana
06-06-2008, 02:35 PM
The regs state the you should receive your results through the mail by July 17th. This means they will be online sooner

The last few years they have promised sooner online dates and they haven't been able to acheive them. Therefore they see a bunch of whinners on boards like this complaining about the Ministry being late. Looks like this year they are just giving everyone the heads up that they are indeed incompetent. :)

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I can live with "no" change but a change in the opposite direction??

No one raised the price of youth tags.........:-?

Previously they had the results online just before or just after the July long weekend...usually before the date promised.

No doubt the sheds are getting burried in long grass.

SSS

dana
06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
SSS,
I don't have a problem with the LEH result dates. If you do, maybe you should contact your MLA and bitch to them. You know complaining on the internet does no good right? I'm sure I heard something along those lines when I complained about them not dropping the Youth Tag prices. I was told to suck it up and stop complaining wasn't I? And who told me that hmmm? :)

BTW,
I haven't been shed hunting for quite some time. Too busy enjoing the great outdoors with my family, camping, backpackin and hunting bruins. You know, everything a guy who is f##kin the future of hunting for his kids does. ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Dana
It's no problem to collect more pop cans to pay for a tag or two that didn't actually increase in price. Try planning a hunt that includes 30 hours of driving and maybe booking a floatplane.......given less than 10 days notice.

It doesn't affect you. That's why you could care less. As long as something doesn't affect you and your little world, who cares?? :neutral:

SSS

dana
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
The Recruitment Camp were the ones that said tag prices were too high especially for youth recruitment. They are the ones that said, we were going to see changes and yet those changes haven't materialized. Just like the online LEH cards that they have been talking about for several years now. You seem to think that your Bitch is somehow more important than Recruitment. Tell me, how many new hunters are putting in for a tag that start in Aug??? You are just a Trophy Hunter. Live with it. :) You see, you are the one that is bitching when it affects YOU. If I point out the Recruitment Camp's inconsistancies, I am only thinking of myself right? Like I said before, seems like the SELFISH HUNTERS are those that are complaining about SELFISH HUNTERS. LMAO!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm a trophy hunter?? Don't make me post pics of the mulies I've shot over the last 20 years:redface:.

I'm certainly not complaining about the hunters of this province that dedicate their own personal time for the betterment of hunting for everyone else in the province.
My apologies if someone thought I was doing just that.

I've got kids coming up into the hunting ranks in a couple of years so hunting recruitment and everything associated with it does affect me. The cost of licences and tags will be a minute drop in the bucket compared to a tank of fuel:?.

SSS

tufferthandug
06-06-2008, 04:15 PM
No doubt the sheds are getting burried in long grass.

You are just a Trophy Hunter. Live with it.

*****!!! This thread is pure gold!

dana
06-06-2008, 04:37 PM
SSS,
Last I checked, most guys striving for thier BC sheep slam are indeed considered Trophy Hunters. Don't see too many meat hunters putting in for Aug sheep where they can only hunt Full-Curl or better in some of the most remote country in this province.
I get a chuckle that you have yet to see the irony in your complaints. A trophy sheep hunter just discoved the week before the applications are due in Victoria, that the draw results are a week later this year. *****!!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Just so happens I shot the first three legal rams that I saw while leagally hunting:neutral:. IMHO "Trophy" hunters pass up a lot of legal animals to finally harvest an animal.
Call me what you will. You're certainly free to do so. My freezer if full of deer that don't make anyone's trophy status.

I always knew that the Aug 1 st draws were within 3 weeks of opening day. I have applied several times before but have never been drawn. Just didn't expect it to get closer to opening day.

So where's the issue with my beef?? I'm still not seeing your point.:???:

Should we make it that the draw results are after opening day??

SSS

dana
06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
In todays day and age, all sheep are indeed considered a Trophy Animal. With the pursuit of the Slam, most are not trying to make those Book animals, so yes, you are indeed a Trophy Hunter.

Are you serious that you are not seeing my point???? Come one now. It couldn't be more obvious since I am throwing your own words back on you. It is alright for you to complain and bitch and moan, but if dana throws out some red herrings, he's an ass and he is F**kin the future of hunting for his kids right? It seems rather hypocritical that you personally jumped on me about my 'complaining' about the ministry, and yet here you are doing exactly that. Hmmm. Can't walk the talk???

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 05:41 PM
You and I both know that high country hunting is about much more than the trophy. Striving for my BC Slam is just an excuse to see the corners of this province that I most certainly otherwise would never have seen. I've come home at least a couple of times "high" on the experience alone....successful but with uncut tags. If that's what you call "trophy" hunter then, yes, I am guilty of being one. Does that make me bad??

Did I ever say that they should not lower the price of youth tags? Can't recall doing that:confused:.

My beef with you was that you were continually bashing the guys in the clubs and the BCWF that were voluteering their time for the benefit of all hunters in BC.
My beef is CERTAINLY not with them as I clearly stated earlier in this thread.

I fully understand the Gov't process takes time but moving backwards puzzled me. In their defence I went back over the past 17 years of LEH's and found that the draw results were as late or later than this year's date of July 17 two or three times(one was July 20th). I know that I have on at least one occassion learned of the LEH results before the July long weekend.

The Gov't never increased the price of youth tags.

Have you got anything to say directly related to this thread?? So in your opinion should they postpone the dates or do you feel that they should try to make them earlier?? Anything valuable to contribute??

SSS

dana
06-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe you should DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of complaining on the world wide web. Call the BCWF. Call your MLA. Call the Prime Minister or the President. Let them know that they need to drop everything, including their slow progress on the Recruitment Strategy, and fix this problem of yours ASAP. Damn, it is all about YOU ain't it? (I'm sure much of this is pretty damn close to what you and your Recruitment Camp buddies have said in the past) LOL!

Fisher-Dude
06-06-2008, 06:36 PM
When the mule deer at Tum Tum go on LEH and the season is from Aug 1 - 31st, we'll see some hard core biatching. Until then, everything is beautiful. :roll:

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I voiced my opinion to the LEH review dude. I am willing to wait for the "due process" to happen.

Like I said before...I just didn't expect the date to be later.

You're doing a lot of "LOL"'ing but it seems the rest of the crowd is silent:roll:..........and then the room was silent...........:???:

SSS

dana
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
FD,
Good to see you chime in. Wouldn't want to go through another debate without having you accuse me of 'F##kin' the future of hunting for my kids.
I would love a August hunt for the highcountry of the Tum Tum. Maybe I should bring that up at the next club meeting. ;)

mark
06-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Gee guys how about that weather???? Snow in the hills last night, but nice again today, go figure??? :smile:

dana
06-06-2008, 06:42 PM
SSS,
If you can't see how HYPOCRITICAL this thread is, then there is no hope for ya man. Complain all you want. I hope you get drawn. Would be fitting to see ya scramble to get all your shit together that fast and then hammer a cranker ram.

dana
06-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Mark,
Nice weather today??? Where the hell are you. Was about the Shittest weather we've had all year. I was just below that new snow line. Wasn't a joyous day to say the least ;)

horshur
06-06-2008, 06:45 PM
so when do I have to put in for LEH's?

mark
06-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Mark,
Nice weather today??? Where the hell are you. Was about the Shittest weather we've had all year. I was just below that new snow line. Wasn't a joyous day to say the least ;)

I was just trying to lighten up the mood a bit here, but it was sunny all day here in K-town! :grin:

wetcoastwillie
06-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't think Victoria has a need for another Proctologist. Every there does there own self-examinations:roll:.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/6a00d834517b5669e200e54f1e18ce8833-800wi.gif

SSS

Hey, that looks familiar!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
SSS,
If you can't see how HYPOCRITICAL this thread is, then there is no hope for ya man. Complain all you want. I hope you get drawn. Would be fitting to see ya scramble to get all your shit together that fast and then hammer a cranker ram.

Least we forget..............when Andy started the thread about the youth tags not going down you chimed in, took the thread sideways complaining about the Recruitment Camp not doing "their" job but when I finally straight out asked Andy who he was mad at he said "The Ministry"...not the guys volunteering their time with the clubs and BCWF coming up with valuable suggestions(as you seem to have issues with:roll:). I agreed with him after he clearly stated who he was mad at. They are paid beaurocrats . Not volunteers.

You keep complaining(over and over and over and over) about people voluteering their time for the betterment of hunting in this province while I fully support them and their efforts......I complain once about the Ministry heading the wrong direction over LEH results........ tell me this...how is that hypocritical????

FD-You forgot to mention that once muley LEH is implemented the outfitter in the Tumtum will be restricting access to limit resident pressure:grin:.

Mark-Looks like the weather is going to be pretty good tomorrow:D.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey, that looks familiar!

I found another one when I googled it but the guy was naked :eek:and I didn't think it was quite right for this site:???:

SSS

dana
06-06-2008, 09:39 PM
SSS,
You are mistaken. You asked me who I was complaining about and I said the ministry but you were not on the same page as me. And it is obvious that you still aren't as you feel this little bitchfest of yours is of far higher value than the price of youth tags. Yea, every dad out there that wants to take their kid hunting can go out and search the ditches and pick up cans, but the poor Trophy Sheep Hunter can't get his shit together in a couple of weeks after he draws a tag. Hyprocritical the way I see it. You are the only one that can bitch about the ministry. If I do it, I'm an ass. You do it and you're a saint. I don't really give a damn what the Recruitment camp does. Great that they volunteer. But I do take issue with them when they slam guys like me and my family for raising our kids in the hunting heritage. They somehow think they are worthy of some glory as they brag about all their acheivements and belittle those of us that are actually making a difference.

GoatGuy
06-06-2008, 09:49 PM
If GG responds, I'm sure he'll blame the results date on the hunters. It is always the hunter's fault right????

Not always.

LEH goes like this.

HOW THE LIMITED ENTRY HUNTING (LEH) SYSTEM WORKS

Except for submitting an application and receiving an authorization or an unsuccessful notice in the mail, most hunters are not aware of many aspects of the LEH system. This pamphlet outlines how the system works.

THE START: SETTING THE LIMITED ENTRY REGULATIONS

In January, regional Wildlife Biologists review information from the previous year’s hunts, population status of individual herds, changes in habitat, changes in access, previous weather conditions and many other factors that may affect a particular herd or hunt area. From this information, the biologists formulate site and species LEH regulations for the coming season. These are submitted as recommendations to the Wildlife Management Section in Victoria for review and approval by the Director.

When the regulations are approved, the process of preparing the LEH Synopsis brochure begins. All regulations are translated into specific hunt descriptions and, in some cases maps of special areas are prepared. Included in the brochure are current instructions on how to apply for Limited Entry Hunts. The brochure and LEH applications cards are distributed to hunting licence issuers in early May. Hunters purchase the application cards and make application by mail. All applications must be received by the Wildlife Branch by a stipulated date to be eligible for the drawing.

PROCESSING APPLICATIONS RECEIVED FROM HUNTERS

Each year, some 150,000 applications are expected. During the period applications are being received, several activities are undertaken by Wildlife Branch personnel. All applications are visually checked for completeness, put into batches of a specific number and recorded. The batches are then sent to a private firm where the information is transferred to a computer file. This procedure goes on daily until the final day for receipt of applications. All of the information transferred to computer is processed by special programs to check each application to ensure it is correct and meets the requirements for inclusion in the draw.

ROUTINE CHECKING OF APPLICATIONS

During the process of checking the applications, many are found to contain one or more errors made by the hunter. Wildlife staff make every effort possible to correct these errors, sometimes even contacting the hunter by telephone. In the end, though, it is the hunter’s care and attention in filling out the application that determines its qualification for the draw. Common causes of rejection of applications include incorrectly entering name or Hunter Number, illegible entries and failing to indicate what hunts are desired. Hunters should check their applications carefully before mailing them to us.

Other checks of the applications are also made. These include validating Hunter Numbers; ensuring applicants can qualify to hunt certain species in areas for which harvest is limited to one animal in five years; and ensuring that only one application is submitted per species. Applications failing these checks are disqualified. Throughout all processing, the applications are carefully tracked to ensure that no one is overlooked. After all the applications have been ascertained to be valid, they are stored on a special computer file. The order that the applications are recorded on this computer file is irrelevant to the draw process.

GoatGuy
06-06-2008, 09:50 PM
ENHANCED ODDS

Over the years, many unsuccessful Limited Entry applicants have suggested that the draw should be changed to increase the chances of those who were previously not drawn. In 1993, a new ‘enhanced odds’ system was introduced, on a trial basis, for elk in the Kootenays (Region 4). The new system reduced (by up to 50%) the likelihood of being drawn for elk anywhere in Region 4 if the applicant had been drawn in the previous year. Thus, by reducing the chances of being drawn for previously successful applicants, this system improved the odds for those who had been unsuccessful. It is important to note that previously successful people could still be drawn, but their chances were reduced compared to those who had not been previously drawn.

After a three year trial period and consultation with the B.C. Wildlife Federation, this system was introduced province wide for all species except for mule deer and white-tailed deer. Anyone who submits an application for a species (other than mule deer and white-tailed deer) they were drawn for the previous year has their chance of being drawn reduced by 50% compared to a previously unsuccessful applicant. In the case of moose and (Roosevelt) elk in Regions 1 & 2, anyone drawn in the previous three years will have their chances reduced by 66%.

THE DRAW:

1.THE COMPUTER CHECKS ALL APPLICANTS FOR PREVIOUS SUCCESS

When all application errors have been resolved and all applications have been placed in the computer file, it is time to run the draw.

Immediately prior to the draw, a special computer program is run which checks all applications against the draw results from the previous year and for moose applications and Region 1 & 2 elk applications, the draw results from the previous three years. Any applicants who were previously drawn and have applied again for the same species are noted, and a ‘flag’ is added to their application record. Only applications from hunters who were previously drawn receive these ‘flags’.

2.RANDOM NUMBERS CREATED AND ASSIGNED TO INDIVIDUAL APPLICATIONS

Through a command to the computer, a ‘seed number’ is generated that will be used to initiate the process which creates a random identification number for each application on the computer file. This ‘seed number’ is automatically generated based upon the time of day, to the tenth of a second, that the command is acted upon by the computer. No person has control over this split second of time, so the production of random numbers ranging from 1 to 2 billion is based upon an initial ‘seed number’ created purely by chance. After each application is given a random number, the computer then uses this number to reorder the applications on the special computer file sequentially, from the lowest random number to the highest. An individual applicant’s name, Hunter Number, address, or when the application was received in the mail, has absolutely no influence on how this file is ordered. The ‘luck of the draw’ is decided by the random number assigned to any given application. The lower the number, the greater the likelihood of being drawn. This file is now in an order that the computer will use to assign LEH Authorizations.

3.THE COMPUTER ASSIGNS AUTHORIZATIONS FOR ‘FIRST CHOICE HUNTS

The computer assigns authorizations in the following manner. The computer looks at the first application on the file (the one with the lowest random number), and determines what ‘First Choice’ hunt is requested. The computer then assigns an authorization for this hunt to the applicant. The computer then moves to the very next application on the file and looks at the ‘First Choice’ hunt and assigns an authorization for this hunt to the applicant and so on. As this process proceeds, the authorizations available for each hunt gradually become fully allocated. As explained above, some applications are ‘flagged’ to indicate that the applicant was drawn the previous year. The computer completely ignores every other ‘flagged’ application it encounters, thus cutting the chances of previously successful applicants by 50% compared to those who were not drawn the previous year. For moose and elk in Regions 1 & 2, it ignores two out of every three flagged applications cutting the odds of previously successful applicants by 66%.

When the computer looks at an application, determines the ‘First Choice’ hunt requested and finds that authorizations for this hunt have already been fully allocated, the computer immediately moves on to the next application on the file. This step by step process through the applications continues until the last application on the file (the one with the highest random number) has been looked at for ‘First Choice’ hunt by the computer. When this point is reached, the computer then goes back to the beginning of the file and begins to look at each application again in the order of lowest to highest random number. Once again, the computer goes through the file looking at first choices only, but this time it does not reduce the chances of flagged applications. The reason for this is that the authorizations for some hunts will not have been completely given out on the first pass the computer makes through the file. If there are authorizations still available, then they are in such low demand that it does not make sense to deny them to previously successful applicants. Very few authorizations are assigned on this pass through the file. In the 2000 Limited Entry Hunting draw, out of 151,492 total applications, only 1,286 ‘flagged’ applicants were successful for their first choice.

4.THE COMPUTER ASSIGNS AUTHORIZATIONS FOR ‘SECOND CHOICE’ HUNTS

Once again, after having reached the end of the file, the computer returns to the beginning. The computer now looks only at applications that were not assigned authorizations for ‘First Choice’ hunts. The computer determines from each application, in order, what ‘Second Choice’ hunt is requested and assigns an authorization to the applicant if there are authorizations still available for this hunt. If this hunt is already fully subscribed, the computer immediately moves on to the next application. This process continues application by application, until all the applications have again been looked at by the computer. At this point, all of the applications have been checked three times by the computer. Again, ‘flags’ are ignored on this pass through the file.

GoatGuy
06-06-2008, 09:51 PM
5. HOW GROUP APPLICATIONS ARE HANDLED IN THE DRAW

Throughout the above process, in all of the three passes through the file of applications, Group Applications are treated exactly as an individual application. In other words, only one random number is assigned for a group. If any member of the group is ‘flagged’ as previously successful, then the entire group is treated as ‘flagged’. If the group is drawn, then all members of the group receive authorizations to hunt. However, if the computer looks at a group application and there are too few authorizations still available for the hunt of choice to give each member of the group an authorization, then the entire group is passed over and not assigned any authorizations. The computer then moves to the next application on the file.

6. LIMITED ENTRY SHARED MOOSE HUNTS

Limited Entry Shared moose hunts were introduced in the 2001 draw on an experimental basis for late bull hunts in Region 3 only. They are similar to group hunts, but instead of all group members being entitled to take a moose, there is a group limit. Under Limited Entry Shared Hunting, a group of two may take only one moose, while a group of three or four may take two moose. It does not matter which group member actually harvests the moose, but all participating group members must possess a valid moose hunting licence and no individual group member may kill more than one moose.

The idea behind Limited Entry Shared moose hunting is to give more hunters the opportunity to hunt without significantly increasing the number of moose harvested. Applicants are not required to apply for these hunts as part of a group – they may apply as individuals if they wish – but group applications are given a higher chance of being drawn than single applications. Unlike the regular group applications described in the previous section, group Shared Hunt applications enter the draw individually rather than as one. If any member of a group application for a Shared Hunt is drawn, then the entire group is drawn. Therefore, a group of four applying for a Shared Hunt has four chances to be drawn whereas an individual application has only one chance,

This concept was confined to the pilot project in Region 3 for three years. After the 2003 draw, Limited Entry Shared moose hunts were evaluated and the decision was made to expand them to all moose hunts in all areas of the province, commencing with the 2004 draw.

FOLLOW-UP TO THE DRAW: NOTIFICATION OF APPLICANTS

After the completion of the draw, the computer is requested to print on special forms, all the LEH authorizations that were assigned. These authorizations will contain the applicant’s name, address, Hunter Number and the Limited Entry Hunt assigned, with species, type of animal (i.e. Bulls only, Antlerless only, etc.), season dates and the odds of being drawn on the first choice. Also printed on the authorizations are any special hunt conditions that must be followed. These authorizations are immediately mailed to the applicants. In some cases, special instructions or requests for information from the hunter, such as tooth return envelopes, may be included with the authorization at the time of mailing.

The computer also prints Unsuccessful Notices for each applicant who was not drawn. This form will indicate the one or several different species for which the applicant applied but was not drawn. Included on this notice in addition to the applicant’s name and address, are the odds of being drawn that were in effect for each of the hunts requested. In order to save on postage costs and avoid waste, authorizations and unsuccessful notices are produced on a single form. This form is divided into three equal sized sections, one above the other. Authorizations are printed first and unsuccessful notices are printed below. If an applicant was drawn for a bison and a moose but was unsuccessful for a goat and a sheep, they would receive a form with their bison authorization printed in the top third, their moose authorization printed in the middle third and their unsuccessful notice for goat and sheep printed in the bottom third.

After all this effort, it is disappointing to have a number of Limited Entry Authorizations and Unsuccessful notices returned by the Post Office as undeliverable. This occurs because hunters have moved, have not informed the Wildlife Branch of their new address and have not left a forwarding address. Although Branch personnel make every effort to locate hunters, often these authorizations can only be placed in a special file waiting inquiry from the hunter.

LIMITED ENTRY HUNTERS PARTICIPATE IN WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT

Following a Limited Entry Hunt, each hunter possesses information vital to the management of the species they were hunting. Almost all successful Limited Entry applicants are contacted by mail after their hunting season is over. This special questionnaire provides wildlife managers with important information on the success of Limited Entry hunts, to be utilized in the preparation of the following year’s Limited Entry regulations. Failure of hunters to return questionnaires or other information requested at the time they receive their authorizations may result in regulations for following hunting seasons being somewhat more conservative than would otherwise be necessary.

Receipt and processing of returned questionnaires and provision of results to wildlife managers bring the cycle of LEH back to its starting point for another year with the formulation of seasons and regulations.

dana
06-06-2008, 09:54 PM
GG,
I'm sure you can find a way to blame the common hunter somehow in there. You always find ways to do it. I'll start this one for ya. Pathetic hunters fill out their cards wrong. See there is a way to blame the hunter. The ministry set the late date because of all the hunters that fill their cards out wrong. :)

GoatGuy
06-06-2008, 10:00 PM
GG,
I'm sure you can find a way to blame the common hunter somehow in there. You always find ways to do it. I'll start this one for ya. Pathetic hunters fill out their cards wrong. See there is a way to blame the hunter. The ministry set the late date because of all the hunters that fill their cards out wrong. :)

I figured you'd read how the process goes and come up with the answer(s).

Don't forget to offer up solutions if you're going to point out the problems.

Gateholio
06-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I bet they listed July 17 just so they wouldn't have people calling them every 10 minutes, like the last couple of years. We had threads here about that..Maybe they plan to release it earlier, and they are just getting the phone callers off thier back!:tongue:

Stone Sheep Steve
06-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I bet they listed July 17 just so they wouldn't have people calling them every 10 minutes, like the last couple of years. We had threads here about that..Maybe they plan to release it earlier, and they are just getting the phone callers off thier back!:tongue:

I think you've got it right. That way they can make everyone happy when they post the results ahead of the scheduled dates...as they have done pretty much every single year.

Dana-You win. As many people have told me before...it just ain't worth the hassle or time.
I'm going to go pack, get the maps all ready, get the truck all lubed up and be ready to go if we get drawn. With the price of fuel heading no where but up, I don't have too many years of northern hunting left...but I'll be glad that I had the opportunity to do so..............no regrets....:-)

SSS

David Heitsman
06-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Many of the US draws I have applied for over the years, ie Utah
let you know results in March, some sooner some later but none in
July.

I feel July is too late as well as many can't schedule holidays on that short of notice. My staff allready have their weeks picked out. I wouldn't want them waiting till July to let me know they need two weeks in August or September but not sure which month yet.

Why does it take a month to enter the data and why is there 6 weeks
of time to enter from release of the LEH synopsis?

I for one would like to know now as it helps me decide flying vs driving.
If I draw a griz I'd probably rather have my truck in Ft Nelson than deal with getting it back via other means. Meanwhile plane tickets are going up weekly.

sawmill
06-07-2008, 09:19 AM
God I wish I could afford to be pissed off about not having enough time to plan my fall safari,should I fly in or do I drive hmmm?I reckon I`ll have to hunt out the back door again this year damnit.Sucks to be me.:wink:

hunter1947
06-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Can't wait to look up on the website and see that me and a few buddies got picked for Roosevelt hear on the island :grin: :mrgreen:.

CanuckShooter
06-08-2008, 08:05 AM
GG,
Pathetic hunters fill out their cards wrong. See there is a way to blame the hunter. The ministry set the late date because of all the hunters that fill their cards out wrong. :)

I filled out my card that I had harvested a moose on the north fraser road between x and y creek.....the following year they had a special closure on that specific strip of road...since that day they don't get specific information....region 7, nearest landmark Pilot Mountain...keep the bstirds guessing.

GoatGuy
06-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Many of the US draws I have applied for over the years, ie Utah
let you know results in March, some sooner some later but none in
July.

I feel July is too late as well as many can't schedule holidays on that short of notice. My staff allready have their weeks picked out. I wouldn't want them waiting till July to let me know they need two weeks in August or September but not sure which month yet.

Why does it take a month to enter the data and why is there 6 weeks
of time to enter from release of the LEH synopsis?

I for one would like to know now as it helps me decide flying vs driving.
If I draw a griz I'd probably rather have my truck in Ft Nelson than deal with getting it back via other means. Meanwhile plane tickets are going up weekly.

Have you applied for Antelope in Alberta?

David Heitsman
06-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I have never applied in Alberta before. Have thought about getting the process started for mule deer and antelope.
What are the deadlines out there and is it all online?

David Heitsman
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Sawmill,

At least you have a back door to hunt out of.

Can't suck to bad to be hunting near Kimberley!

GoatGuy
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I have never applied in Alberta before. Have thought about getting the process started for mule deer and antelope.
What are the deadlines out there and is it all online?

By phone and they're moving things online - actually should be online now. The process is much more streamlined however their deadlines and draw dates are very similar to ours. Antelope are usually even later if I recall (Notification in Aug?) due to reliance on recruitment counts.

Deadlines are relatively easy to adjust for certain species but difficult for others where harvest and mortality rates can be high. Also the complexity of our eco-systems through things for a loop.

There are efficiencies to be had in the draw date but it isn't quite as easy as it is in the states (they also get way more $$$ for counts).

boxhitch
06-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Deadlines are relatively easy to adjust for certain species but difficult for others where harvest and mortality rates can be high. Also the complexity of our eco-systems through things for a loop.

Are we really running that close to the wire, that a single season harvest could toast a population ?

I understand the concerns but are they realistic ? Not all species are counted each year, so most figures are guesses anyway. and if a die-off occurs, it usually shows up during the hunting season as hunter observations ?

Also, if only a portion of leh hunts are successful, and a die-off has occured undetected, the hunter success for that hunt would crash, so the effect on the pop. would be lower ?

Most of the leh numbers seem to trundle along year to year and should be at safe levels. I could see Goat and GBear probably being the sensitive ones only ? Most of the Sheep leh are well under potential already.

GoatGuy
06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Are we really running that close to the wire, that a single season harvest could toast a population ?

I understand the concerns but are they realistic ? Not all species are counted each year, so most figures are guesses anyway. and if a die-off occurs, it usually shows up during the hunting season as hunter observations ?

Also, if only a portion of leh hunts are successful, and a die-off has occured undetected, the hunter success for that hunt would crash, so the effect on the pop. would be lower ?

Most of the leh numbers seem to trundle along year to year and should be at safe levels. I could see Goat and GBear probably being the sensitive ones only ? Most of the Sheep leh are well under potential already.

Goats and grizz are the big ones of course. Most of the LEH authorizations actually go into Victoria some time around February and then has to be approved. The time could be shortened, that's for sure. There's also a lot of political jockeying that happens with regulations, as you well know. The return of the harvest questionnaires is extremely problematic as well as the issuance of the synopsis. The application period ties up the better part of 2 months.

There are efficiencies that could be tied up on both the MoE's side and on the hunters side. The draw itself could be earlier or a least split. Fall grizz could be a separate draw and as you say general sheep/moose/deer are generally relatively stable.

Wildman
06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
I would like to see the synopsis come out the same time as the leh. Relying on last years synopsis isn't good enough in case there is change...planning trips would be much easier.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Boxhitch has a good point about hunter harvest not affecting sheep numbers very much since it's a full curl regulation.

Here are the tentative numers of permits available taken from the regs starting back in 92/93

I'll just use 6-28 and 6-29 as an example to simplify things

92/93 6-28=24 6-29=18
93/94 6-28=24 6-29=18
94/95 6-28=24 6-29=18
95/96 6-28=24 6-29=18
96/97 missing
97/98 6-28=40 6-29=18
98/99 6-28=40 6-29=22
99/00 6-28=45 6-29=22
00/01 6-28=45 6-29=22
01/02 6-28=45 6-29=22
02/03 6-28=45 6-29=22
03/04 6-28=45 6-29=22
04/05 missing
05/06 6-28=45 6-29=22
06/07 6-28=45 6-29=22
07/08 missing
08/09 6-28=50 6-29=22

I'm missing a couple of the regs.
If someone has the numbers please fill in the missing data.
I know these are "tentative" authorizations but if there was a bad winter thrown in there they would have dropped the authorizations for a few years in a row as sheep are slow to build their numbers.

Sheep are compulsary inspected so ministry data does not rely on hunter harevest questionaires and should not have to wait for return of questionaires. Ram harvest in these areas is sporadic at best and is not reliable data to estimate population health.

Spatsizi early draws are how all draws that begin on Aug 1st should work......

If they want the resdents to start harvesting our share of sheep then we need more planning time......afterall G/O's know how many permits they are getting way before we do.

I realize some goat draws also start Aug 1 which may complicate matters since they are sensitive to harvest ..because of the nanny component.. but they are also complusary inspected and the necessary data should be available early enough to make decisions.

SSS

bighornbob
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Here are the missing years. Dont want the Fisher Dude or Goat Guy giving you the gears for missing data:lol:

92/93 6-28=24 6-29=18
93/94 6-28=24 6-29=18
94/95 6-28=24 6-29=18
95/96 6-28=24 6-29=18
96/97 6-28=40 6-29=18
97/98 6-28=40 6-29=18
98/99 6-28=40 6-29=22
99/00 6-28=45 6-29=22
00/01 6-28=45 6-29=22
01/02 6-28=45 6-29=22
02/03 6-28=45 6-29=22
03/04 6-28=45 6-29=22
04/05 6-28=45 6-29=22
05/06 6-28=45 6-29=22
06/07 6-28=45 6-29=22
07/08 6-28=45 6-29=22
08/09 6-28=50 6-29=22

You owe me:eek:

BHB

Fisher-Dude
06-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Boxhitch has a good point about hunter harvest not affecting sheep numbers very much since it's a full curl regulation.

Here are the tentative numers of permits available taken from the regs starting back in 92/93

I'll just use 6-28 and 6-29 as an example to simplify things

92/93 6-28=24 6-29=18
93/94 6-28=24 6-29=18
94/95 6-28=24 6-29=18
95/96 6-28=24 6-29=18
96/97 missing
97/98 6-28=40 6-29=18
98/99 6-28=40 6-29=22
99/00 6-28=45 6-29=22
00/01 6-28=45 6-29=22
01/02 6-28=45 6-29=22
02/03 6-28=45 6-29=22
03/04 6-28=45 6-29=22
04/05 6-28=45 6-29=22
05/06 6-28=45 6-29=22
06/07 6-28=45 6-29=22
07/08 6-28=45 6-29=22
08/09 6-28=50 6-29=22

I'm missing a couple of the regs.
If someone has the numbers please fill in the missing data.

SSS

I ain't diggin' thru 20 boxes of crap to find 96/97 for ya. :tongue:

Edit - BigHornyBoob beat me to it.

GoatGuy
06-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I know these are "tentative" authorizations but if there was a bad winter thrown in there they would have dropped the authorizations for a few years in a row as sheep are slow to build their numbers.

Sheep are compulsary inspected so ministry data does not rely on hunter harevest questionaires and should not have to wait for return of questionaires. Ram harvest in these areas is sporadic at best and is not reliable data to estimate population health.

Spatsizi early draws are how all draws that begin on Aug 1st should work......

If they want the resdents to start harvesting our share of sheep then we need more planning time......afterall G/O's know how many permits they are getting way before we do.

I realize some goat draws also start Aug 1 which may complicate matters since they are sensitive to harvest ..because of the nanny component.. but they are also complusary inspected and the necessary data should be available early enough to make decisions.

SSS

That's a big part of it for sure.

boxhitch
06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Region 6 - and thats from a Region that thinks sheep could be de-listed, no quotas and have GOS across the board. Yes, the pops. are that good.
So why is it even on LEH ? Poliotics

GoatGuy
06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Region 6 - and thats from a Region that thinks sheep could be de-listed, no quotas and have GOS across the board. Yes, the pops. are that good.
So why is it even on LEH ? Poliotics

Exactly.

Have a look at the regs outside of parks and inside parks across the province.

Mik
06-10-2008, 05:30 AM
One way to speed up the process would be to skip the "routine checks". IMO to much time is taken up to "double check" and "phone to confirm info" on all applications. If you can't fill it out properly...well then "tough luck and better luck next time" !!!

hunter1947
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
All this talk about speeding up the results has me laughing :lol:. Just relax its only a few weeks away befor we will find out if we get picked.

Look at it this way you might not get picked for a draw but right now you might be the one to get picked so it is kind of like Christmas time when you were a little one getting excited befor that time.

So just keep your fingers crossed and wait till the big time to come http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

boxhitch
06-10-2008, 06:41 AM
47, what do you apply for ? Not important enough to have to make plans around ?

hunter1947
06-10-2008, 07:27 AM
47, what do you apply for ? Not important enough to have to make plans around ? I have applied for 6 draws ,but I have lots of PATIECE.

News if you get picked will be hear in a short time ,not a long time.

I still have 7 weeks to get everything planed out after I find out what my results are.

I have my hunt planed the day I get back from my elk hunt the year befor ,it is head back to the same spot the next year at the same time.

If I get picked for an LEH draw I work around it and fit it in ,LOL :wink:.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
[quote=hunter1947;291732]
I still have 7 weeks to get everything planed out after I find out what my results are.
quote]

The whole intention of this thread was for lack of prep time for the draws for which the seasons start on Aug 1st. most of which are in the furthest corners of the province and most require booking bush flights.
It certainly appears that they are not making any last minute changes to the tentative number of draws.

I realize that they hope to have these draw dates moved earlier....but it was an eye opener to see that the posted notification dates have moved closer to Aug 1 (July 17 this year).

I know changes take time to implement.

SSS

horshur
06-10-2008, 08:06 AM
[quote=hunter1947;291732]
quote]

The whole intention of this thread was for lack of prep time for the draws for which the seasons start on Aug 1st. most of which are in the furthest corners of the province and most require booking bush flights.
I realize that they hope to have these draw dates moved earlier....but it was an eye opener to see that the posted notification dates have moved closer to Aug 1 (July 17 this year).

I know changes take time to implement.

SSS

LOL....you ever seen a horse that don't want to be moved??? lean towards you with his shoulder.
Passive aggresive...changes may take time but even more time is involved when ego's are at stake.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I knew I didn't like horses for some reason:sad:.

The early Spatzisi draws have had some good positive results for resident harvest.

The changes over in 7B have also had some positive results for resident harvest.

Reg 6 is a work in progress. They have recently cut GO's allocation back 20%(IIRC?) across the board.

We (the resident hunters of BC) are moving forward in this province thanks to some very hard working people.

I have faith.....

SSS

horshur
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I knew I didn't like horses for some reason:sad:.

The early Spatzisi draws have had some good positive results for resident harvest.

The changes over in 7B have also had some positive results for resident harvest.

Reg 6 is a work in progress. They have recently cut GO's allocation back 20%(IIRC?) across the board.

We (the resident hunters of BC) are moving forward in this province thanks to some very hard working people.

I have faith.....

SSS

It don't change the fact that people will be people...
Once while checking cows years ago. My dog and I cut through on a old cow trail which broke out into a Pine block...on the landing among the cows was a couple who were video'ing brands....brands of two ranchers cows but not there own even though there cattle brands were present in the herd....they were so intent on video'ing didn't see or hear me till I was right on top of the.."What the hell are you up too" it was a great moment I was on a big walleyed horse ,packing iron, in my slicker.
What they were up to was attempting to get there nieghbours in trouble bv deception....this couple had actually closed the drift gate which is why cattle were in the block they were not supposed to be.
Just folks being folks!!!

It's easy to have faith that people will be people...they always are.
Takes no faith at all!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm weak on Philosphy but stronger on Physics:confused:.

There is always resitance to change. Getting an object to move is hard but once it's moving the force required to keep it moving is much less.

Newton's first law of Inertia

"Every body perseveres in its state of being at rest or of moving uniformly straight forward, except insofar as it is compelled to change its state by force impressed.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion#cite_note-6)"

An object that is not moving will not move until a net force acts upon it.

And as you know from your experience with horses

"To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

:smile:

Things are in motion. Let's keep things moving.

SSS

GoatGuy
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I have applied for 6 draws ,but I have lots of PATIECE.

News if you get picked will be hear in a short time ,not a long time.

I have my hunt planed the day I get back from my elk hunt the year befor ,it is head back to the same spot the next year at the same time.

If I get picked for an LEH draw I work around it and fit it in ,LOL :wink:.

Planning really comes down to your job. Some people have the flexibility of being able to book off whenever, some have to book holidays a year in advance and some people don't have to work. ;-)

Different situation for different people.

hunter1947
06-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Planning really comes down to your job. Some people have the flexibility of being able to book off whenever, some have to book holidays a year in advance and some people don't have to work. ;-)

Different situation for different people. That's true but buy squawking it up and complaining is it going to help others including you ,????,I guess so if it makes you feel better :lol: :lol:.

GoatGuy
06-10-2008, 05:08 PM
That's true but buy squawking it up and complaining is it going to help others including you ,????,I guess so if it makes you feel better :lol: :lol:.
:biggrin:..............

riflebuilder
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I am getting drawn for everything I put in for so I have already started to pack. If I am wrong I can always unpack, but that is not happening so I will continue to Pack.

rocksteady
06-10-2008, 08:11 PM
[quote=Stone Sheep Steve;291740The whole intention of this thread was for lack of prep time for the draws for which the seasons start on Aug 1st. most of which are in the furthest corners of the province and most require booking bush flights.

SSS[/quote]

Have not read the whole thread, but I wonder if they could not do it similar to how they used to draw grizz....Draw it in the late fall.

For sheep, maybe have it as a Spring draw, so as to give you time to plan.....Enough guys on here with contacts at MoE that maybe they can plant that seed...

boxhitch
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
That's true but buy squawking it up and complaining is it going to help others including you ,????,What better way to rally up support for a cause ?? No sense in sitting around silent and being fed turds, either. Everyone has the option of tuning out, but don't suggest anyone be silent.
Speak out, or expire.

Fosey
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
The LEH results were posted on the Internet just after the July long weekend last year and will probably be the same this year. The new LEH system is suppose to be reviewed right now but don't hold your breath on any dramatic changes.

Wildman
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html#Status

Fisher-Dude
06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Draw Status

The 2008 Limited Entry Draw

The 2008 Limited Entry draw has not yet been run. Once the draw has been run, you can check your results here.
Results should be available around the first week of July.

Where's that whiney wino SSS? :tongue:

BCrams
06-18-2008, 04:58 PM
SSS must be turning into another Dana :-)

Fisher-Dude
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
SSS must be turning into another Dana :-)

You know it Rams. Whine whine whine, biatch biatch biatch, complain complain complain. There's just NO satisfying those two. :p

Stone Sheep Steve
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Damn over-achievers!!!:cool:

SSS

BCRiverBoater
06-18-2008, 09:23 PM
The way I see it. Plan for the darn hunt and if you do not get drawn then use the gear, money and gas for an August hunt. The only problem is planes but you can usually get one anyways. May lose a day but that is the way it works. We are all used to it and do our best to make it work.

If people do not like it then maybe more people will stop applying and then the rest of us will get better odds. LOL

Gateholio
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
:p:p:p

:p

Bump!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Damn over-achievers making me look bad:mad:!!! ;)
I don't ming being a goat.....that's about the only thing that I didn't get drawn for this year:p

SSS

Fisher-Dude
07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Lock this thread and ban SSS. :smile:

longwalk
07-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Rats!!! nothing for me.

Cdn-Redneck
07-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Group moose hunt region 5 Oct 15-31

Antlerless Mule deer region 5 Nov.
:biggrin::cool:

wetcoastwillie
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Moose

5-13

Sept 10 - 30 !!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ohotnik
07-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Shared moose and antlerless elk for me!

Wildman
07-05-2008, 08:42 AM
moose & doe....2/4. missed the goat and elk.

Koot
07-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I got nada and my son drew flat top Mulie and whitetail.The two other neighbour kids that I put through core this year drew the same antlerless as well one got a antlerless elk.
Koot

CooperSscat
07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
My Dad nipped in to get a Mule Deer Doe draw in MU 5-03 Zone B! Projected odds were 3.2:1 and 3 of us entered. Seems ok with me.

Jeremy

swamper
07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Shared moose inl 7-08 from Sept 10 to Nov 5 and a doe in 5-14 Nov 1 to 30th.

smokey
07-06-2008, 08:50 PM
i sent two in and got my bull moose in region 5-01 and muley doe in region 3-17
my buddy says i have horse shoes up my a-s,but after many years of try and get nil,this years draw will be a treat