PDA

View Full Version : A little birdie whispered to me..........................

newhunterette
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
a little birdie whispered to me that I will be getting my very own crossbow from a certain someone once they discovered what kind I would like to have - I already have 2 beautiful recurves but have discovered I will never be able to successfully hunt with them as I am unable to pull them due to a severe back injury in my past :( but I did try a sweet little number at the outdoor show in Abbotsford (a crossbow) put out by Excalibur Bows - now Peter has a Tenpoint Crossbow and he loves it (thanks to Bowzone Mikey and his wonderful advice) but I really liked the Excalibur Phoenix.

Does anyone have an opinion to share with me in regards to types of crossbows?

thanks bunches
Alison

bochunk2000
06-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I know very little about crossbows. I do however think it should be the same as any new bow. Go and try them and get the one that fits you the best and that you like the feel of. I would guess that most of the brands out there are good products, it would be which one has the features and feel you love.
My 2c Steve

Bowzone_Mikey
06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.ca.nationalarcherysupply.com/contents/media/l_phoenix.jpg

Our new PHOENIX crossbow proves once and for all that good things come in small packages! Using our new 175 lb. forward mounted limb system, the PHOENIX stores more energy into a smaller crossbow than ever before possible, producing velocities in excess of 305 fps with a power stroke of only 14". The Phoenix is ideal for smaller stature hunters or those who appreciate the advantages of hunting with a compact, lightweight crossbow, but don’t want to sacrifice hitting power or trajectory. Each PHOENIX comes decorated in "Realtree Hardwoods" camouflage using the amazing new "Kolorfusion" process for the ultimate in realism and detail, comes drilled and tapped for Excalibur’s scope and quiver mounts, and features quick detach sling studs and our fiber optic sight

A nice lil Crossbow that will Git'r'dun

Ali... Pm comming your way to Pass to that certain someone

newhunterette
06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
A nice lil Crossbow that will Git'r'dun

Ali... Pm comming your way to Pass to that certain someone

thanks bunches Mikey - considering you have met me - you know why I would need a little one hehehehe vertically challenged here - the phoenix seems to fit me better and feels comfy for me - I tried Peter Tenpoint and dang I almost went with the shot

information has been forwarded to little birdie's mailbox

loki
06-05-2008, 05:41 PM
You're looking at a good package there Ali, the Phoenix was the crossbow my wife could cock (with the aid) before she started weight training with me. She's naturally of smaller stature, and had problems dealing with her 25lb compound bow, but after showing her to pull with her legs she was able to get the phoenix done on her own. Which was ultimately dissapointing to me because my old (sold) Exocet was going to be hers, but she couldn't cock it.

My advice, or $0.03 of an opinion, would be to go a little further and buy the full Phoenix package which would include the cocking aid, scope, etc etc. Check it out here (http://excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/listings.php?category_id=40) and as you can see the full package is listed at $710.00, but really if you buy only the bow, and decide later that you would like the scope package (which is 10x better than that sight they send out for stock), then the list price is $885. So the full Phoenix package really is a good deal.

Hope I was a help, enjoy and always remember to post pictures. :)

mark
06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Loki touched on it, but make sure you find one that you can cock, yer back injury might limit you here also!

brotherjack
06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
The Wife(tm) has a really bad back, and she (with the rope cocking aid) can draw our Phoenix. If you're worried about it - have a look at the Excalibur Vixen; it's a bit smaller, less poundage/easier to draw, and will still be plenty of bow (285FPS) for critters at typical bow hunting distances.

newhunterette
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM
thank you Mikey,Bochunk200, Loki, Mark, and Brotherjack - I have always like the look of the excalibur line of crossbows - I had a severe car acident 4 years ago where I fractured my spine in the thorasic 3 vertibrae - it will be a challenge to pull any bow I am sure but I am a fighter to do things - trying the crossbow is just another step for me to get through - I appreciate your input so very much - my recurves will always be there staring at me and testing me to try them as they are handed down to me by my parents - 35# Ben Pearson cougar and 55# Ben Pearson Hunter - it is great to know about other ladies using this line of bows :)

sawmill
06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I feel your pain,I have a sweet Martin compound that I can`t draw anymore.Godamn Bursitis in my right shoulder,sounds like broken glass when I raise my arm.I spent a lot of time getting pretty good with my bow so now I keep it in a different room than the crossbow I bought last fall.I feel so dirty:wink:

rocksteady
06-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Ali...Have you not been told that crossbows are not "true" archery tackle, are inherintly innaccurate, lack the power to make a clean kill shot, should be used only in rifle season, are the weapon of choice of poachers, do not require any practice to be a decent shot....blah, blah, blah...add all other negative comments at your leisure.....

Good on you...Its better to be out "bow" hunting with a crossbow, than to not be out hunting at all.....Good luck and hope you stick an animal....

newhunterette
06-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Ali...Have you not been told that crossbows are not "true" archery tackle, are inherintly innaccurate, lack the power to make a clean kill shot, should be used only in rifle season, are the weapon of choice of poachers, do not require any practice to be a decent shot....blah, blah, blah...add all other negative comments at your leisure.....

Good on you...Its better to be out "bow" hunting with a crossbow, than to not be out hunting at all.....Good luck and hope you stick an animal....

already heard all the negative reports about a crossbow when Peter got his - so I am hoping to sneak mine in under the "negative" radar if I happen to get one :)

greybark
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
:smile: Hey Ali . Good luck with your crossbow . I and all the bowhunters I know support the use of the legal crossbow . Enjoy it and dont get drawn into the politics of it as only a few (entitled to their opinion) oppose it during the archery venues . Make no mistake ALL of them support crossbows in your case . Again have fun and enjoy it , hope to see you and Peter at the late season WT hunt in Rock Ck . Am available to help in any way .
Cheers