PDA

View Full Version : 3-32 Sheep

Twobucks
06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm thinking of putting in for sheep in 3-32. Anyone out there have any experience there? What's access like?

I might keep it simple and apply for 3-17b instead - if anyone has some advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Big Bucks
06-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey Two Bucks . I'm pretty sure the sheep up there are very thinned out , it's hard to find a decent ram up there nowadays . The 2 guiding outfitts up there chase the sheep back and forth over the ridges so they are pretty spooked . There used to be a ton of sheep up on nine mile ridge and yalakom mountain , but not to many now . Yalakom mountain might have a few rams sitting way up there on the rocks , it's a good hike up and hard to find water though , mind you with all the snow we have been getting it could be wet for along time up there. Another bad thing is watching all those idiot motor bikers riding all over the Alpine , they are everywhere up there . Hey Two Bucks even if you don't see any sheep at all it is great country up there , not bad deer up there to . A guy to talk to would be French bar he seems to know that country like the back of his hands , will see if he posts anything .

06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Just my 2 cents, 3-17 has better chances all round. 3-32 used to be good years ago but has dwindled. 3-17 has better access too.
C/T

huntcoop
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
As others have said the guides run that area VERY hard and access is limited due to all the ranches and private land.
I agree with curly top, 3-17 would be more effective...also my 2 cents.

frenchbar
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Two bucks . Big bucks pretty much summed it up . if i were you i would put in for the 3-17 b draw . Ialways put in for the 3-17 draw ,big rams are hard to come by in 3-32 and its big country might take ya a few weeks just to find a ram let alone a legal one .

Big Bucks
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey French Bar whens the last time you have seen a legal ram up in that area ? Just wondering , it's been along time for me . Oh ya and did you ever hunt Yalakom mountain ?

frenchbar
06-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Its been over 10 yrs i would think.yep i hunted and guided a season when i was nineteen,and hunted up there quite a bit ,even done a few trips over the top and into s frenchbar crk .Its rugged country up there .havent been up there for a few yrs but might go up for a summer hike and see whats around.i always enjoyed hunting up there .I would imagine theres a few sheep still kicking around up there .

Big Bucks
06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Ya it sure is nice country , I use to hunt nine mile and back to hog back , but started to see to many people so went else where , you are right about there being alot of country there . Which guide outfit did you guide for was it Bracewells ? They have to do something about the motor bikes up in that country .

frenchbar
06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
No it wasnt Bracewell. Christy was his last name. Spent some time up nine mile as well used to be some great hunting over to Stirrup crk.

frenchbar
06-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Ya the bikes are pissoff all right .i dont see it gettin any better either:mad:Just one of the reasons i dont hunt much up there any more.

Big Bucks
06-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey French , I just got off the phone with a buddy who is out hunting , he saw 85 bears in 4 days so far , so the bears are out and about .

Twobucks
06-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the advice guys -- going from Google Earth 3-32 looked good, but I'd be coming from the Island so I have limited scouting opportunities.

And the last thing I want to listen to in the mountains is a bunch of two-stroke dirtbikes grinding all over the countryside.

I don't care about bringing home a record-book ram -- I just want to spend time in the mountains and have a decent crack at a legal sheep.

Good luck in your draws!

Tb

Jimsue
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I hunt 3-32, have yet to run into any one on dirt bikes, if there allowed to be there then what's your beef! I did run into 4 piss tanks on one quad at about 10:00 at night, and yea they had a gun and a lamp. Everyone who rides a dirt bike is not breaking the law, and it is possiable for the odd dick head to get a hunting licence.
Haven't seen any full curls but a few 3/4 plus last year.

Regards Jim

Big Bucks
06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Jimsue - When a motor bike rides into the alpine it destroys the alpine , its a sensitive ecosystem

Jimsue
06-07-2008, 09:00 AM
And when piss tanks ride around at night with guns it makes us look like?
I agree with your comment, I didn't like the idiots on dirt bike comment, who ever wrote that.

Twobucks
06-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Jimsue - When a motor bike rides into the alpine it destroys the alpine , its a sensitive ecosystem

Roger that Bigbucks. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. Then again, I'm one of those conservationist "two feet and a heartbeat" kind of guys.

3-32 looks good from the pictures I've seen, but looks good to a novice sheep hunter and looks good to mature rams is two different things.

Jimsue - thanks for the info. How often do you hunt up there?

Big Bucks
06-10-2008, 09:59 AM
The thing is two bucks the area up there is huge and there isn't very many sheep there so to find them is like a needle in a hay stack . I know of the one ridge that they are always on but the two guides up there keep chasing them back and forth from one side to the other , Like i was saying about the motor bikes , i have seen one of the guides up there chase the sheep over the ridge with a motor bike just so that they will be on there side of the mountain range . After they have been spooked they are very hard to find . Twobucks there is always the odd sheep that strays away though. It is great country though , there is good deer up there to . The migration area was logged off so baddly that it really hurt the sheep up in that area plus roads . You know i have nothing against bikes i just say if you have one use it right stay on the roads .

Jimsue
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
We have access to private land, I'v been taking my kids there for deer for the last 5 years. The owner says the big rams are few and far between and he use to guide for them. We all put in for the 3/4 draw as we have seen lots of them down low.
Interesting comment from a fellow hunter " just because it's legal doesn't mean its right" I'v heard that from a few anti hunter people too.

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

I wouldn't ride in an alpine area, and I don't think any one on this site was on the quad, it only takes a few to screw it up for the people who care to do it right.

Regards Jim

boxhitch
06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
i have seen one of the guides up there chase the sheep over the ridge with a motor bike just so that they will be on there side of the mountain range .
If this is true, and if it can be substantiated, complaints should be made so charges can be laid. Harassment of wildlife.

Jimsue
06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
I was under the impression you were comming down on dirtbikers............... its fellow hunters on dirt bikes.

Rust
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
i have seen one of the guides up there chase the sheep over the ridge with a motor bike just so that they will be on there side of the mountain range .

That is brutal, I sure hope that you reported them for it!!!!!

Big Bucks
06-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Its too hard to get the charges to stick , all the guide has to say is that he was just out for a ride .

Rust when did you see your incident?

And Jim do you access on the yalakom side or the marshall lake side ?

Rust
06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Big bucks, I just quoted anothers guys statement about seeing the sheep chased. I deleated the other stuff that was said in his post so it is hard to tell it was a quote. So I was just saying that I hoped that they got reported....
SOrry for the confusion.

I hear ya bout getting any charges to stick, but when the CO's go and have a little talk with the guys It would sure make them look over there shoulder and wonder who can see them.... Plus the complaint would more then likely always be on the outfitters file...