PDA

View Full Version : Do people eat Grizz meat?

Bailer
06-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Just curious, after hearing about all the grizz taken, how many poeple eat the meat? and if so what is it like? or is there a reason many poeple dont?

Ben

David Heitsman
06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
As g bears eat a lot of carrion, I would caution one to eat the flesh.

Big Daddy Ryan
06-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I have heard from a couple different sources (guides and experienced hunters) that grizz is the only game meat that is considered not eatable. Not sure why but i'm pretty sure it has to do with all the carrion they eat.

06-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Damn shame if people don't at least have it tested then determine if they will eat it or not. All bears are like Pork...and need to be cooked thoroughly. If I don't take the meat...I don't shoot the bear. Yes they do eat carrion, and fresh raw flesh, grass, fish, bugs etc etc. So do Black bear, Cougars, people eat them too, all you Grizz hunters alike I hope you at least make the attempt to consume the critter. If not, whats the difference between that or knocking down a big bull moose or elk, removing the antlers and calling it a day, besides what the regulation say?

BlacktailStalker
06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
My guess would be because the regs say you dont have to take the meat.
If it's legal, ya can't knock it.

06-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I agree blacktail stalker, just my opinion. Just cook the living $#$#$%$%$^!!!
out of it, don't leave it !
C/T

Big Daddy Ryan
06-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree with eating whatever you shoot, all i know is what I've heard though because I've never shot a grizz. I would be interested to know if anybody on this site has ever actually eaten grizzly meat?

GoatGuy
06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I've eaten it several times. Had roasts and different kinds of sausage.

It tastes just fine, no different than black bear.

06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I have from my dads kills years ago and plan on eating mine if and when ever I get the draw. Our family recalls the roasts were great. They did not come from large old boars, as any other game I would think, there are prime eaters .... and there are not so prime.
Caribou bulls, same thing, when they rut they are almost totally inedible, even dogs turn it down.
Thats probably why I don't have a long haired white boo on the wall. The only one's I'll shoot are early season, pre rut.

GoatGuy
06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
As g bears eat a lot of carrion, I would caution one to eat the flesh.

I'm not sure carrion and inedible fall together.

Black bears will eat whatever they can and they're considered edible.

Cougars will occasionally eat carrion.

Inland grizz and black bears diet consists mostly of grass/roots/berries.

EvanG
06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree on atleast taking some of the prime cuts even if its all destined to be sausage.

Gateholio
06-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Some people eat it, some don't..

it' sjust liek an y other bear, what it tastes like depends on food source and age.

Mr. Dean
06-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I'd try it, if I could hunt one.

kgs
06-04-2008, 01:26 AM
I would recommend that anyone interested in trying game meat to attend a wildlife federation dinner/fundraiser. I have tried griz and really could not tell you how it tasted because it was covered in sweet and sour sauce except to say that it was similar to pork. Honestly the reason I have not hunted bear is I am not sure I would eat the meat and my personal rule is if I kill it I have to eat it.

Thunderstix
06-04-2008, 05:10 AM
I have a friend that always has eaten them and says they are great.

Fisher-Dude
06-04-2008, 05:34 AM
I've had grizz roast at a BCWF convention, and it was great. Also had delicious grizz smokies at SSS's place last year. It was as good, or better than the black bear I've eaten.

Besides, getting a tapeworm or two is a great weight loss program for the preseason. :tongue:

ratherbefishin
06-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Its funny-but we won't eat some species because they eat carrion -but many people consider lobster ,crab ,shrimp and prawns to be a delicacy-but they also eat ''carrion'' too-dead fish and debris on the sea floor.I think culture plays a lot in it too-some cultures eat things others would gag on[like westerners eating beef]

40incher
06-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Our family has taken two very large boars in the past couple of years and have taken all the meat. These were spring bear, with one being an interior bear and the other being near the coast. Fall bear on the coast, or on an interior salmon stream is not recommended.

We had cured hams made of the larger cuts and have bbq'd and fried the tenderloins. The hams are very good and most people that have tried it think it is very good. Summer sausage or garlic coil is made from the small cuts. It is a feature at our local game banquets every year.

As with Black bear we freeze the meat at -30C for at least 6 months prior to consumption.

Personally, I prefer Grizzly over Black bear. It has a milder flavour.

Jelvis
06-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Edge, a Grizzly movie, get it, I think the name is Edge, Baldwin is in it and they crash a plane in the wilderness bear country, and have to battle a monster Grizz. which stalks them through the whole movie. They end up roasting parts of the bear over the open flames of a roaring fire. Actually looks good enough to eat 2 me. Jel-roast-griz- get the movie Edge.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Edge, a Grizzly movie, get it, I think the name is Edge, Baldwin is in it and they crash a plane in the wilderness bear country, and have to battle a monster Grizz. which stalks them through the whole movie. They end up roasting parts of the bear over the open flames of a roaring fire. Actually looks good enough to eat 2 me. Jel-roast-griz- get the movie Edge.

Filmed in the Fortress Lake area in 4-40.

SSS

steelheadSABO
06-06-2008, 09:05 PM
if people dont eat griz why do you shoot them.
theres nothing wrong with eating meat as long as its cooked properly
if you shoot for fun you should be shot for fun.

pupper
06-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Ive eaten grizzly garlic sausage and enjoyed it. It was strange at first but good overall.

steel_ram
06-07-2008, 07:29 PM

I think we all hunt and shoot game for fun therefore your statement is a little ignorant. Otherwise most of us would be better off buying our meat at the grocery store because it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Is a carcass left in it's natural environment truly wasted, or is it more truly wasted by removing it from the natural ecosystem to be partially consumed, often thrown away by humans?

todbartell
06-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I'd try it, if I could hunt one.

do you not hold a valid BC hunting license? :D

Gateholio
06-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Not only are you breaking forum rules, the statements you make are pretty ignorant.

BiG Boar
06-09-2008, 07:40 AM
I have had this question running through my mind for quite some time. "How will I feel removing the skin of a bear and leaving the carcass?" I do plan on doing a Grizzly hunt soon, I just applied for my first LEH. I can't answer you the question yet. I think I will take some of the meat to try it unless the animal just smells absolutely revolting. I also wonder why I desire to hunt grizzlies at all. And really I cant answer it. Obviously its not that I want the meat. I think I really just want to hunt the most dangerous animal out here. I want to do it before it becomes illegal, just to say I did it. What if you shot a wolf? Would you eat it too? I don't think I would hesitate to shoot a wolf. I guess we'll see though if one ever comes through the crosshairs.

BCLongshot
06-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I know 1 thing.....

You can tell without even asking who eats grizzly !!!

It's like bad water and poor genetics.

islandstalker
06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
i shoot for fun all the time:razz:

sure beats smokin crack:frown:

:p

Mik
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Couple years back, shot the Grizz, cut some fine steaks, marinated them for 24 hrs, had them for dinner right there in camp, it was delicious. Next day made a stew. One of the guys had a tough time getting over the idea of eating "G-Bear", but in the end-he did.

trailhunter
06-09-2008, 11:07 AM

hahaha i agree with ya. I hunt because i dont injoy it at all. Its dipressing really..........get out in the wildernes away from the nagging girlfriend. Yup come to think of it i cant stand hunting.