PDA

View Full Version : Going to give my bow a shot

BiG Boar
06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone, I bought a Compound bow a couple years back. Its called blood brother (ted nugent) by browning. It doesnt seem to look like the newer ones though. I was told the guy used it for elk. I want to take it for black bears next weekend. Does this bow suck? What is it worth in fairly decent shape. 9/10? if I was to sell it and get something eles? What kind of maintainence should I do before I take it out. I have been shooting it one day a year for the last few. I am using expanding broadheads, will these work for bears? I have guns backing me up. Thanks for any advice. I will hit the range this week to sharpen up my skills.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-03-2008, 06:58 PM
well if you plan on taking it for bears next weekend ... I personally think you shouldve hit the range regularly a few months ago...Mechs are fine if they of good quality, you get a good shot placement, and are razor sharp...I would reccomend you being a rookie to the bow to get yourself a good set of fixed blades, I would also take the bow to the nearest shop ..probally get a new string and cable harness,
Do you have anyone that "knows' archery equip ...a friend .. buddy etc that can get ya pointed in the right direction for this comming weekend.

I dont want to venture a price for it but I suspect the fetching price would be considerably less than what it was originally worth new

Bow Walker
06-03-2008, 07:46 PM
If you have only been shooting 1 day per year for the last few years...and if you are that new to archery (let alone bow hunting)...and if you can only hit the range this week before you take it out.......

I'd strongly suggest that you use your bigbore to bag your bear and get your Blood Brother "serviced".

Post up a pic or three of the bow if you want an opinion about its worth. Pictures say much more than words can.

jrjonesy
06-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I could be reading your post wrong but it sounds like your suggesting you've shot a bow once a year over several years and now your going to practice for a weekend and go hunting bear with it. For the animals sake I hope you change your mind. I realize you'll have gun back ups but the odds of you wounding a bear and it being gone before anyone thinks to shoot it are pretty high. I've shot plenty of deer with my bow and no bears but my understanding from experienced bowhunters who have, is that they have a very small kill zone which is partially obstructed by a very large shoulder blade. I really don't want to come across as negative but being primarily a bowhunter it really bugs me when people head out in the bush with out first ensuring they are very proficient with their bow. My suggestion for what its worth... bring the rifle, continue to practice with the bow throughout the spring and summer and take it out for bear and deer in the fall when you feel really comfortable with it. Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching.
As far as your bow, I don't know about the value but I'm sure it would suit you just fine for anything you want to hunt in the future. The bows from 10 years ago aren't a lot like todays bows but they are still very good bows and will do the trick in a heartbeat.

BiG Boar
06-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Its just that I love the stalk and I love the hunt itself. I could have shot two bears so far from less than 30 feet with a bow. I dont see how I could miss a shot like that. I am not talking about making a tough shot on one, only if there was an easy bear. I wish I had someone who bowhunted who could show me the ropes but I dont. So I will only shoot if its a shot I know I can make.

Eagle1
06-04-2008, 06:45 PM
no such thing as a "kimmy" shot, or an "easy" one. I've shot a few bears over the years, one as close as 10 ft, and at that distance if your hearts not pounding out of your chest, the bear has it in his mouth. Even the so called " I don't know how I could miss" shots are tough, expessially if you only shoot your bow once a year.There is no "easy shots " in bowhunting, there are to many things that could go wrong. I can make shots all day long at 50 and 60 m but I won't do it hunting. I personally think you need to practise a lot more and bow hunt bear in the fall, but then again you could get lucky.
just my 2c worth.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Its just that I love the stalk and I love the hunt itself. I could have shot two bears so far from less than 30 feet with a bow. I dont see how I could miss a shot like that. I am not talking about making a tough shot on one, only if there was an easy bear. I wish I had someone who bowhunted who could show me the ropes but I dont. So I will only shoot if its a shot I know I can make.

Fer sure that shot seems like a slam dunk .. But what most dont realize is that unlike Rifle hunting ...which relys upon the shock effect of a hunk of lead slaming into the the animal .. Bow hunting releys upon good placement to bleed the animal out and the animal effectivlys goes to sleep whereas the rifle shock .. makes organs shut down from the shock effect ..
30 feet ..or 10 yards can be a tough shot for anyone.

for a 10 yard shot do you know where to hold your 20 pin? Low or high ..
a 5 yrd shot
a 2 yrd shot

you see my point

Thats just the point that everyone is triing to make ....
I had delutions of triing to talk you out of it and waiting till fall after some string time and some 3D shoots (you will learn alot at those) But i figgered you would probally go anyway with the bow

My advise .. Only take shots that you are 100% confident in .... and get yer butt out and practice hard ..

Practice Hard ... Hunt Easy

The Hermit
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Tghe other thing to consider is that at 30 feet if you do wound the bear it could attck and be on you before you or your buddies could possibly react.

J_T
06-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I dont see how I could miss a shot like that.I hear ya. I've said that four times (maybe five) now. An animal, is not a "target" giving you a perfect shot, no adrenaline and lots of time.

Your shooting has to be instinctive and under pressure, we all make subtle mistakes that affect the outcome.

The Hermit
06-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Shooting a compound, with sights and a peep is not instinctive shooting J_T. However, I believe that it is important to know the limits of your equipment and more importantly to know your own limits in order to become a competent and ethical bowhunter.

It is clear to me that everyone is trying to be HBC politically correct on this thread... bottom line is, I think heading out to the field only having shot your bow a few times is unethical. Period.

BiG Boar
06-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Okay I am not taking the bow for hunting. I just thought an easy shot would be cool to take. I havnt practiced though and will just take my rifle. I thought I was confident in shooting, but apparently I should get some more practice in. How much practice are we looking at here as for a minimum ammount. How many arrows through the bow before I can confidently go out and kill one. Or what kind of test can I do to know when I have reached master archer? Also, how do you practice shooting actual broadheads over field tip as apparently I should be hunting with broadheads while I am a begginer? Any tips on how to make a target to practice on for both tips? Or two different targets? I used 2 hay bales for practicing before, it seemed to work. Any ideas? Are there any archery ranges near coquitlam? Can I shoot in my back yard legally?

J_T
06-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Shooting a compound, with sights and a peep is not instinctive shooting J_T.Thanks Hermit, what I meant, was that under pressure you have to ensure you go through all of the motions of getting off a good shot, while focusing on the animal rather than a target.

Grantmac
06-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Join an archery club, they most likely have a sand-pit for broadhead practise. Also using your bow might be against a local bylaw, at least with a club you are completely covered. Then you can meet other hunters and get an idea of how much you will have to improve before taking your bow into the woods.
Cheers,
Grant

Bowzone_Mikey
06-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Join an archery club, they most likely have a sand-pit for broadhead practise. Also using your bow might be against a local bylaw, at least with a club you are completely covered. Then you can meet other hunters and get an idea of how much you will have to improve before taking your bow into the woods.
Cheers,
Grant
X2

Coq area has a few clubs around If i recall right

jrjonesy
06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Good choice on leaving the bow for now. There's no "rule" that says how much or how many hours to practice before you go out hunting. For myself, I enjoy the practicing/shooting and don't consider it a chore that I HAVE to do before I go out. I do it year round for fun. One goal I would say would be to try and develop a repeatable form...this will come from repetition and goes along ways when the shot arises and the furthest thing from your mind is keeping your form. Another goal I would say would be to group consistently in a 6 inch circle at 30 yards... then don't shoot at anything outside of 20 yards. As you start to shoot more often, you will have "flyers" and bad shots creeping in that will make you realize how valuable more practice is. I think through the practice You will know when you become ready to go after big game.

Bow Walker
06-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Okay I am not taking the bow for hunting. I just thought an easy shot would be cool to take. I havnt practiced though and will just take my rifle. I thought I was confident in shooting, but apparently I should get some more practice in. How much practice are we looking at here as for a minimum ammount. How many arrows through the bow before I can confidently go out and kill one. Or what kind of test can I do to know when I have reached master archer? Also, how do you practice shooting actual broadheads over field tip as apparently I should be hunting with broadheads while I am a begginer? Any tips on how to make a target to practice on for both tips? Or two different targets? I used 2 hay bales for practicing before, it seemed to work. Any ideas? Are there any archery ranges near coquitlam? Can I shoot in my back yard legally?
:biggrin:Good on you for waiting to take an animal with your bow. We owe it to the game to end their existance as quick and as humanely possible. More practice is the key. Get familiar with your equipment, make aiming/shooting an instinctive act that requires no concious thought. You'll be happier with the results. Again, confrats on a level head. (is that a compliment - having a flat head? :confused:)

Wild one
06-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Practice as much as you can and learn how to judge yardage.My tip is to start on grouse and other small game this fall(don't just take the close shots)and you will see if you are ready for big game really fast.Bring LOSTS of arrows you will need them.Warning when you start bow hunting it can be veary frustrating.

greybark
06-06-2008, 08:37 PM
;-) Hey bigbore14 , You are in luck as there is a 3-d event at the PQ&Dist F&G Club this sunday 8th Jun , Do a round , then you will know if you are ready . Regardless of your score have fun and improve your shooting skills. Lots of archers will help. If you wish look me up .....Greybark
Cheers

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Got a rangefinder?? Use it if you do....or at least borrow one if you don't.

SSS

The Hermit
06-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Regards targets... a burlap sack stuffed with cut up bits of leather works pretty good for broadheads.