PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to 5-04 (Taseko Lakes)

Wildman
06-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I have applied for a Moose LEH in 5-04B (Taseko Lake area). How is the goats & sheep hunting out there? I will be dedicating my time to Moose and Mule Deer, is it worth putting in for goat and buying a sheep tag incase I see one? Any info on the area would be great.

srupp
06-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Wildman, there is EXELLENT goat hunting in that part of the cariboo..and California bighorn sheep...and exellent deer...good bear population and some good grizzly hunting...

teven

MattB
06-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I thought that area was closed for grizz...i could be mistaken.

srupp
06-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Matt you might be right on the grizzly hunting now...lots of grizzly in the area..lots...

Steven

Gateholio
06-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Lots of grizzly ALL over western BC!:D

Wildman
06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I have applied for a Moose LEH in 5-04B (Taseko Lake area). How is the goats & sheep hunting out there? I will be dedicating my time to Moose and Mule Deer, is it worth putting in for goat and buying a sheep tag incase I see one? Any info on the area would be great.

I revised the question.

WoodOx
06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Theres Sheep, but unless you can convince Steve Rupp or someone similar who knows the area and their hangout spots its a crap shoot. Ive been in a couple times and not seen one. Theyre there but hardly ideal imho...

tons of goat, and good ones. Decent but not excellent moose pops imo, good deer but hit the high slopes early if you can.

Wildman
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Theres Sheep, but unless you can convince Steve Rupp or someone similar who knows the area and their hangout spots its a crap shoot. Ive been in a couple times and not seen one. Theyre there but hardly ideal imho...

tons of goat, and good ones. Decent but not excellent moose pops imo, good deer but hit the high slopes early if you can.

We want to go Oct 15-31 and like I said, I will only take a goat (if I get leh) or a sheep if I come across one...I won't be devoting my hunting time to them.

srupp
06-04-2008, 11:01 AM
If I was going hunting for BIG bucks in the CARIBOO I would hit this area..Taseko lakes...WAIT..thats EXACTLY where I am going in Sept for big bucks...the single biggest buck I have seen in the Cariboo in 30 plus years I saw up in this region..

The bucks still will be up high the big ones at least..and you can find rams up amongs the deer..I would take a sheep tag..they ARE spread out and have favorite spots..but look high for sheep in this area..hint think DALL SHEEP..

Goats are in the steep craggs..and the only place I can think of bigger goats would be west of Terrace..however there are some HUGE goats here and a very healthy # of em.

Moose #'s here are climbing as well..been out that way numerous times in a chopper.... good #s of bull moose..

Moose are down low in the meadows and willow and rutting while deer are more up on the slopes..so climb for the deer and perhaps see some rams and spot moose down low and go down for em...I would stay low and call for moose during the rut...

IF ya get the draw..give me a call...

One of THE BIGGEST goats ever shot..EVER was shot by a dispicable abuse of power by government official very close by Taseko lakes..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRR

Steven

Wildman
06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
If I was going hunting for BIG bucks in the CARIBOO I would hit this area..Taseko lakes...WAIT..thats EXACTLY where I am going in Sept for big bucks...the single biggest buck I have seen in the Cariboo in 30 plus years I saw up in this region..

The bucks still will be up high the big ones at least..and you can find rams up amongs the deer..I would take a sheep tag..they ARE spread out and have favorite spots..but look high for sheep in this area..hint think DALL SHEEP..

Goats are in the steep craggs..and the only place I can think of bigger goats would be west of Terrace..however there are some HUGE goats here and a very healthy # of em.

Moose #'s here are climbing as well..been out that way numerous times in a chopper.... good #s of bull moose..

Moose are down low in the meadows and willow and rutting while deer are more up on the slopes..so climb for the deer and perhaps see some rams and spot moose down low and go down for em...I would stay low and call for moose during the rut...

IF ya get the draw..give me a call...

One of THE BIGGEST goats ever shot..EVER was shot by a dispicable abuse of power by government official very close by Taseko lakes..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRR

Steven

Steven,

Just what I wanted to hear, thank you! Now my heart is pumping! What do you think about the timing? Oct 15-31. I chose that time as I heard the Moose winter in that area and one of the guys I'm going with pulled a beautiful bull out of there years back in the same area, same time. Would there still be bucks in there then, or would they have moved out by that time?

srupp
06-04-2008, 11:40 AM
too early for wintering they are rutting...lol

the big bucks do not move untill they are forced from the mountains by snow DEEP snow..not just 4"..IF you can climb and get in there they WILL be there..

Do not spread yourself too thin...what is THE ONE ANIMAL you want..hunt it hard..THEN go on to #2...but If iwas hunting moose and in glassing saw some cranker Cali or mulie then you need to decied is that now your goal ??

Anyway no need to worry untill ya get the notice..

If ya do and ya want some advice on sheep...give me a call..

As for deer..I can let ya know since I will be up there in early Sept..last year I spotted 5 bucks up on a bench and 2 of em would be 190's...

Steven

BCrams
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I recal seeing big bucks (including a monster) in the alpine last week of November 3 yrs ago in that country. The big boys are definatly up high until deep snow pushes them down.

scoot
06-08-2008, 03:47 AM
The elevation of this area is very high I believe. 2200 + M. Would there not be snow quite early (say end of sept.) sticking for the year???

When Matt B and I were in that general area I believe we hiked to well over 3000 m at one point.

boatdoc
06-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I have been snowed on Sept 1 in this area. The road in is terrible and i wouldn't want to try and drive out the big hill in the snow. Its too bad you can't use a quad in there.

Big Bucks
06-08-2008, 11:57 PM
srupp

is that not the wintering area for some of the sheep in that area?

c.r.hunter
06-09-2008, 12:46 AM
The open area for sheep in 5-04 is no where near Taseko lakes. You need to be much further north.

srupp
06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
YES

sTEVEN

Wildman
07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Well we got the draw! Oct 15-31. Time to start planning and canning (dinners).

srupp
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
good deal...hmm I will check outa couple drainages for you..seen LOTS of moose in these region this year..most in over 10 years/

LOTS OF WATER THERE THIS YEAR ALSO..
steven

07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I used to hunt in 3-32, right near 5-04 and the advice is right on. The big bucks are up really high, and stay there til late. I have seen goats in there and my friend saw sheep too. I have also seen grizzlies in the area.

Good luck!

scoot
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I used to hunt in 3-32, right near 5-04 and the advice is right on. The big bucks are up really high, and stay there til late. I have seen goats in there and my friend saw sheep too. I have also seen grizzlies in the area.

Good luck!

last time I was up that way I managed to get video of a bunch of sheep (30 or so) that started running from the base of one hill, across a valley to the base of another mountain. Kinda cool as they ended up only running about 20m away and they were not loosin any time. No dear up there at all though, definitely, definitely no deer yup no dear don't go there! LOL

Big Bucks
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I wonder how the access is in that area? , I have a goat draw there .

happygilmore
07-11-2008, 02:26 AM
What zone did you get?

Big Bucks
07-11-2008, 09:54 AM
i got zone J for goat .

happygilmore
07-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I've never been on that side of the lake, we went for goat in zone "e" but got chased out after a couple days by huge dump of snow overnight - we woke up @ 3am to a collapsed tent and had a fun time driving out.

Ltbullken
07-12-2008, 04:47 AM
I got a moose tag in there a few years ago. It sucked! Problem is that it is a narrow valley and it channels all the vehicle traffic and not a lot of areas to go off the track. Bush is thick. Some swamps look promising but we found it to be hard hunting and lots of traffic... and lots of fish camps and I suspect hard hunting pressure... Strongly suggest you get off the beaten track in the MU and look for a good moose honey hole away from obvious traffic areas and consider hunting spots that others would consider too much work to hunt (generally good advice for any hunting!). Note, we were west of the lake and south of the Nemaiah Valley - very scenic! Don't know what lies east of the lake. We were skunked and PO'd about all the traffic and left for Prince George 4 days later and saw tons of moose!! Never put in again for that area... good luck...

Anyway, there is a goat population there, bear should be good and if early in Sep, deer should be awesome there in the alpine. Came across some MF big bear tracks - likely griz.

Wildman
08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
good deal...hmm I will check outa couple drainages for you..seen LOTS of moose in these region this year..most in over 10 years/

LOTS OF WATER THERE THIS YEAR ALSO..
steven

We are thinking of Anvil Mountain - what are your thoughts on that area Steven. My partner was there seven years ago.

srupp
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
HMMM Anvil had THE BIGGEST DEER I have ever seen in the wild.Up under the rimrock...there was water up top small little feeder creek..look for a 20 watt lightbulb the deer lick their noses to help them smell..wet noses work better and they shine like a 20 watt light bulb..not many deer but all were bucks and all were big..
ACCESS MAY BE THE problem as I understand the rd was blocked off after a fatal accident when the rd washed out have not heard that it reopened.

There was lots of SUMMER sheep sign..however they are not there now..GUARANTEED..LAST 2 YEARS NADA

Steven

Wildman
08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
HMMM Anvil had THE BIGGEST DEER I have ever seen in the wild.Up under the rimrock...there was water up top small little feeder creek..look for a 20 watt lightbulb the deer lick their noses to help them smell..wet noses work better and they shine like a 20 watt light bulb..not many deer but all were bucks and all were big..
ACCESS MAY BE THE problem as I understand the rd was blocked off after a fatal accident when the rd washed out have not heard that it reopened.

There was lots of SUMMER sheep sign..however they are not there now..GUARANTEED..LAST 2 YEARS NADA

Steven

Thanks Steven.....good to know about the road. We didn't have an alternate plan for the area. I was told we are headed to Anvil. Now we will make up a backup plan in case we need one. Are you going to be in that area in Sept? If you happen to be in the Anvil area I would be very grateful for an update on the road. Any update would be excellent if you are still headed into the Taseko area. Our first hunt will be moose, then mulies, then back out for sheep if we do well.
Thanks again Steven.
Vadim

happygilmore
08-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Leaving on the 3rd sept for 5-04 taseko area (working around hunting partners wifes pregnacy) will let you know what we see, I might head back in there later if were not sucessfull. We scouted it two years ago in early sept and saw lots a deer and bear and a few goats, however we didn't spot any moose? I honestly believe they are there at some point of the year because it looks like perfect moose teritory, lotsa marsh and ponds! later in oct we returned and got pushed out after 4 days by the nastyest winter storm you ever saw! (bring chains!!!) We almost didn't make it out, it was a good thing our tent collapsed @ 3am letting us know it was time to go!

srupp
08-27-2008, 08:43 PM
I will be away on my STONE sheep hunt..and once back scouting out east for MOOSE for my LEH...and then getting ready for my coastal grizzly hunt and ALBERTA moose whitetail and mule deer hunt before trophy deer here and then elk hunt....

Steven

Wildman
08-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Leaving on the 3rd sept for 5-04 taseko area (working around hunting partners wifes pregnacy) will let you know what we see, I might head back in there later if were not sucessfull. We scouted it two years ago in early sept and saw lots a deer and bear and a few goats, however we didn't spot any moose? I honestly believe they are there at some point of the year because it looks like perfect moose teritory, lotsa marsh and ponds! later in oct we returned and got pushed out after 4 days by the nastyest winter storm you ever saw! (bring chains!!!) We almost didn't make it out, it was a good thing our tent collapsed @ 3am letting us know it was time to go!

Are you heading way in? If you happen to head down the Beece Creek FSR towards Anvil Mtn. Let me know if the road is still washed out like srupp says. That would be awesome!

happygilmore
08-28-2008, 08:31 PM
I'll check my maps will do if were by there.:wink:

Sooke Hunter
08-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Tatlioko (sp) Lake/Potatoe Ridge is GREAT spot for trophy class mule deer. Quite a grunt to get there...but great results. Went there 14 years ago and had a great hunt.

Wildman
08-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks fellas...

Hunter4life
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Are you heading way in? If you happen to head down the Beece Creek FSR towards Anvil Mtn. Let me know if the road is still washed out like srupp says. That would be awesome!

The road is blocked near the lodge.

H4L

Wildman
08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
The road is blocked near the lodge.

H4L

It is not passable? Can a quad get by - I think it is closed that way for quads anyway so probably not an option. When were you there or how did you get the info? What is the name of the lodge?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions...
Thanks.

elkhunter1
07-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Guy,s
Got Drawn for Moose 5-04 Zone A.
This was a second Choice really wanted Zone B.
Anyway is Zone a near Tasko Lakes area You are Chatting about.
My Draw is for OCT 1 st.
Any Info would be Appreciated.
Chris.

Andy83
07-26-2009, 09:40 AM
We got one for 5-04B. Looking forward to going up. I love hunting:)

Ltbullken
08-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I went on a hunt in that area a few years ago for an LEH moose hunt. It was the worst hunt ever. I was in the Taseko Lakes area south of Nemaiah and there was only one road in and out with very limiting restrictions for routes off the main road. There was a parade of hunters along that road. In 5 days of hunting, we saw one set of moose tracks in the snow and one set of awesome griz tracks too! Also, the abundant evidence of seasonal fish camps in the area atested to what we suspected was significant hunting pressure/harvest in the off season... We left early. It was good deer habitat for sure and as we were right in the mountains, the goat hunting would he great but don't think there are any sheep in that area. Some of the most beautiful country in BC.

Your area of 5-04 B I think will be much better and if I recall there are not much for mountains in that area, maybe in the far south and western part of 5-04. There are feral horses there so the habitat can do with some liberation!! :wink:

pg83
08-29-2010, 05:48 PM
5-04 Zone A is not the greatest moose LEH out there. If you are not boating into some valley in the southeast end of Chilko Lake you are limited to one road with few moosey spots. There are certainly moose around, but the chances of connecting are few and far between. A couple of guys from the Island have places back in there and are successful with their moose, but not many others are. Zone B or C give you much better options for getting into moose than Zone A. Most guys are hammering up and down the logging roads and are successful, but the regrowth in most of the clearcuts is too tall now for good spotting. My family has hunted moose in this area for a long time and we are successful most years, but we have learned where to go and where not to go. This is the first year in the last four that I have drawn a tag so I am pretty excited to get back into my honey holes. I have never hunted this early in the year for moose(Have a Sept. 10-30 draw) so it may be a little different. We have shot most of our moose in early November over the years, but also a few late October bulls.

There is good goat hunting in 5-04, but you need to know where you are going. I have noticed the goat population seems to be declining over the last couple years, but they may have just moved from their old spots to newer pastures. The local guide has been hitting them harder these last few years so that may have something to do with it.

The only sheep I know of in 5-04 are on Nemaiah Mountain, but maybe there are some south of there too. I've never seen any in my mountain adventures around Tatlow though. I don't know what the population is on Nemaiah Mountain, but I can't see there being more than 3-5 legal rams there. Nothing to support that, just my opinion.

There is a healthy bear population of both grizzly and black. We have been seeing more and more grizzly as the years go on and they have been coming out of the mountains the last couple years, but there is no season for them. Maybe one day. I have seen some big black bears and some nice colour phases too. We used to have a huge cinnamon boar near our cabin, but never saw him at the right time of year. He's long since gone, but I'm sure he hooked up with a couple of the local ladies in the valley.

Hope that helps anyone considering hunting in 5-04.

anvilmounguide
08-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Well this is my first post!

Anyway I live in area 5-04 Big Creek to be exact and have hunted here my whole life. I know every nook and crany. Moose and mulie hunting is great around here if you know where to go. The best advise i can give you is to get of the roads!! Everyone and there dog hunts the roads and logging roads. Not to say you won't be successfull doing that, but don't expect the big boys to be walking up and down the road.

If your lookinf for an easy spot to go for big moose don't even go as far as taseko lakes. Look on google earth, about 20 to 30 km after stone indian reserve on the 900 road are a ton of swamp meadows. Park you rig on the side of the road and WALK in, don't take a quad. There is alot of good moose sign at the end of these meadows. I was just the a couple days ago scouting. I took a 45" bull there last year.

As for deer, anvil Mountain is great, really great but hard to get to. They have either closed all the roads or they have washed out. Unless your going in on horse back it's alot of work. I should know I hunt there every season all hunting season. I also live as close as you can get to the mountain. There are just as many Big bucks down lower. I've taken some of my biggest deer just walking the deer trails up and down the chilco river. Get up high in the morning and down low near creeks and rivers towards the afternoon and evening.

I enjoy helping out a fellow hunter so if you need any info on the area let me know! I won't give you my hunny holes! but I will help you find your own.

Steven

Rusty
08-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Steven,
I am heading there opening day for Moose!!
Can't wait!
Did you get a Moose draw?
Rusty

yamadirt 426
08-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Anyway I live in area 5-04 Big Creek to be exact and have hunted here my whole life. I know every nook and crany. Moose and mulie hunting is great around here if you know where to go. The best advise i can give you is to get of the roads!! Everyone and there dog hunts the roads and logging roads. Not to say you won't be successfull doing that, but don't expect the big boys to be walking up and down the road.

If your lookinf for an easy spot to go for big moose don't even go as far as taseko lakes. Look on google earth, about 20 to 30 km after stone indian reserve on the 900 road are a ton of swamp meadows. Park you rig on the side of the road and WALK in, don't take a quad. There is alot of good moose sign at the end of these meadows. I was just the a couple days ago scouting. I took a 45" bull there last year.

As for deer, anvil Mountain is great, really great but hard to get to. They have either closed all the roads or they have washed out. Unless your going in on horse back it's alot of work. I should know I hunt there every season all hunting season. I also live as close as you can get to the mountain. There are just as many Big bucks down lower. I've taken some of my biggest deer just walking the deer trails up and down the chilco river. Get up high in the morning and down low near creeks and rivers towards the afternoon and evening.

I enjoy helping out a fellow hunter so if you need any info on the area let me know! I won't give you my hunny holes! but I will help you find your own.

Steven

Great first post Steven ! I've got goat 5 04 J. Good luck out there!

anvilmounguide
08-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Steven,
I am heading there opening day for Moose!!
Can't wait!
Did you get a Moose draw?
Rusty

Yup got a Moose draw! but mine is for late season Oct 15 to 30 I belive. Good luck on your moose! Are you heading to big Creek?

.330 Dakota
08-30-2010, 08:19 AM
I have hunted LEH goats in 504-J for 2 years in a row now and seen many nice Billies. The trick as always is getting a decent shot with an oppourtunity of retrieiving the critter. IFf you go in past the south end of Taseko Lake to Bease Creek and head up the foot path on the left (east) side of the road, (there is a nice campsite) you will be in the alpine in about a 2 hour hike. Lots of goats but they are always high in that area.
There is a huge Griz that patrols that valley so keep an eye, we have seen him twice now.There is no Griz season there.
It is as Steve says great country, no sheep down there though, big winter kill 7 years ago (aprox). We have taken 2 goats out of there in the last 2 years though. Never seen a frikin deer in there ...good luck
PS: Stop at the south end of Taseko on the sandy beach and glass the eastern slope--always goats there

yamadirt 426
08-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks Dakota. I just wasn't sure about the road going south to the south east end of the lake. It looks possible from the bottom up just heard about different bridges being out. Thanks again !

whitespringer
08-31-2010, 06:42 AM

Steven

Thanks very much for the info Steven. Our hunting party has drawn Moose Oct. 1-14 in both 5-4A and 5-4B. Explored the Fletcher Lake area in early Aug. but didn't have time for much else. Our dillema is trying to find a hunting camp that allows access to both regions at the same time. Any suggestions on where to camp?

.330 Dakota
08-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks Dakota. I just wasn't sure about the road going south to the south east end of the lake. It looks possible from the bottom up just heard about different bridges being out. Thanks again !

You cant get there from the south (as in Lillooet) traveling north, as the road doesnt go thru. You must go in from Williams Lake to Hanceville, turn left at the Davidson bridge and go in past Taseko Lake to Beace Creek.
Remember there is a big boulder strewn hill at Taseko that you WILL NOT get back up if it snows, so keep an eye on the sky, and split if it starts snowing, ALWAYS take 2 trucks in there, and be safe

deano
09-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi Steven. I hunted Taseko (battlement ridge) years ago, and this year got a goat draw that I would like to take my 13 year old son on. Problem is my regular group can't make it, and without a second p/u am a little concerned about going in Oct. Do you know of any others who might be hunting the area, or a local that could provide up to date info?

ravensfoot
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Steven

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the huntingBC site. I really like this place and find the feedback to be awesome. I have a draw in 5-04 (B&C) this year Oct 15-30 and wouldn't mind any tips you may have. I'm use to hunting in PG and Willys Puddle, this is a bit new for me. (I sent you a PM too)

greg

HuntingMaps
08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Taseko Lakes google map for Garmin:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?76313-Google-Earth-on-Garmin-62st-insted-of-Birdseye

Ltbullken
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Been in the area before. Should be decent for moose. There are LOTS of off-season hunting camps from locals and the area gets shot up really well. There are feral horses in area too that should be 'thinned out' (IMHO). Can't tell you about goat or sheep.

coach
08-22-2012, 01:57 PM
The OP asked his question in June 2008. Another hunter asked for advice in 2010. Guys are responding to the 4 year old question today?? :shock:
Must be the off season! Only a week and half to go, boys.. Can't get here soon enough.:smile:

HuntingMaps
08-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Let me know if somebody need a bigger area:
http://yadi.sk/d/YmD4ba2QL-dn

I will post links here later.
It seems nobody wants Google Map on Garmin :razz:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?76313-Google-Earth-on-Garmin-62st-insted-of-Birdseye

Another option is to use BaseCamp to activate the hand-made maps. You can make a JNX map with one of the JNX converters, upload it to the device, then start BaseCamp and copy the map into My Collection. As soon as the map in the Collection, it can be sent back to the device, and BaseCamp will activate it and bind it to your device. This will only work if you have active BirdsEye subscription.

from
http://whiter.brinkster.net/en/JNX.shtml

JNX map = birdseye format

alexkr1
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Steven
Hi Steven
We have just won moose LEH for 5-04A this year. Do you have any info for this area? I know this was not the best place for moose LEH, but this was our second choice.
Will appreciate help.
Thanks

xcaribooer
02-14-2014, 12:24 PM
edited>>.never mind, re asked the question in another thread