PDA

View Full Version : got a bear yesterday

outdoorsman812
06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Got a nice blacky yesterday. Big old boar, but in excellent shape. The hide is still in good shape. Probably going to make into mostly burger. He measured 6'5". Big head and big paws. Hopefully i can get some pics on here soon.

oddsix
06-03-2008, 04:14 PM
congrats, pics would be sweet

kloosterboer
06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Congrats sounds like a nice Bear!! can't wait for pics.

BiG Boar
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
no comment without the pictures...dont know if youre telling the truth....

sparky300winmag
06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Congrats on the BBear.Hey i've only eaten bear meat a few times,but I've never gone out exclusively to harvest one.Are they like any other animal in regards to quality of meat.I think what i'm trying to say is are they worth going after to fill the freezer?I heard they are wormy ( which always worried me).

outdoorsman812
06-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Here are some pictures of the bear, i did have some of it when it was in the bush before it was gutted, but unfortunatly i only had the old film type camera at the time, it will take some time to get those on the computer. Hopefully these pics will work, they are also in the gallery. I weigh 200lbs and this bear dwarfs me.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June_2_2008_beast_in_the_truck.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June_2_2008_before_skinning.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June_2_2008_before_skinning2_and_the_paw.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June_2_2008_the_paw.jpg

outdoorsman812
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June_2_2008_skinning3.jpg
Heres another one

bochunk2000
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Very nice bear!! Congrats. I have also forgotten to take off my watch when cleaning a bear lol. SCAB time.
Steve

Phil
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
He's a beauty. Nice shooting! Are you going to rug him out?

outdoorsman812
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
thank you, I'm not sure yet about the hide, i might just tan it and put it on the wall, though how much would a rug cost to get done? I have never taken anything to a taxidermist before

Untouchable
06-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Thats a really nice bear! Congrats man.

Mr. Dean
06-04-2008, 12:15 AM
YOWZA!!!!
That's a beautiful Bear.

thank you, I'm not sure yet about the hide, i might just tan it and put it on the wall, though how much would a rug cost to get done? I have never taken anything to a taxidermist before

You should really talk to Mainlandhunter (Heads Above The Rest).
His # is 778.241.0208

There's a multitude of options available,,, But I would want to be certain of doing something that would retain them mits he's carrying. If you want to sample some of his work, I have a couple of mounts in my home, done by him. 1 bear and 1 deer. Pic's are in my gallery and you're welcome over for a viewing.

He's also been a strong supporter/sponsor of HBC.

Reeeal nice bear. It's a cranker - Congrat's! :cool:

hunter1947
06-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Finding a bear in the 6 to 5 foot length is great when you have put the tape on it and found out that it is pushing on up to the 7 foot range ,nice bear for sure good going. Pic would be a bonus to see.

Spuddge
06-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Congrats Outdoorsman, great looking bear!

bighornbob
06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I like your outdoor lights:lol::lol:

BHB

moose
06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Nice Bear. I plugged a nice one too. Seven feet even. How do I upload photos?

NaStY
06-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Congrats :mrgreen: Thats a very nice bear.... Depending where you live, there are many taxidermists around. Harley White in peachland does awesome work.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Quality bear!!!! Huge feet!8)

If I were you, I would just get the hide tanned for now as a lot of later season bears will lose a lot or under fur once tanned and not be as nice to do for a rug. That bear will take up a lot of room on a wall so you may only do one in your life.

Is that "fir" I see beside the "fur"?? Good on you to make two uses out of your trip into the bush. At the gas prices these days that's almost essential.

Nasty...Harley is in Westbank, not Peachland.........just in case someone is trying to look him up:).

SSS

outdoorsman812
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM

If I were you, I would just get the hide tanned for now as a lot of later season bears will lose a lot or under fur once tanned and not be as nice to do for a rug. That bear will take up a lot of room on a wall so you may only do one in your life.

Is that "fir" I see beside the "fur"?? Good on you to make two uses out of your trip into the bush. At the gas prices these days that's almost essential.

Nasty...Harley is in Westbank, not Peachland.........just in case someone is trying to look him up:).

SSS
Thanks everyone, yeah that is some fir, i always get a load of wood with every hunting trip. Like you said it helps pay for the gas and keeps our natural gas bill low for heating.

About the taxidermist thing, i live about an hour out of kamloops. I have tanned quite a few hides in the past with home methods that didnt really work the greatest, can a guy buy the proper tanning solution from a taxidermist or some sort of supplier for a reasonable price?

Mr. Dean
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone, yeah that is some fir, i always get a load of wood with every hunting trip. Like you said it helps pay for the gas and keeps our natural gas bill low for heating.

About the taxidermist thing, i live about an hour out of kamloops. I have tanned quite a few hides in the past with home methods that didnt really work the greatest, can a guy buy the proper tanning solution from a taxidermist or some sort of supplier for a reasonable price?

I dunno. Call that # and ask for Ray... I'd be hesitant of screwing up another, especially this one. Tan job's ain't all that much and these bears don't grow on tree's.

Either case, give em a call and talk it over. He'd know.

stovepipes
06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Bonus!

Google, Taxidermy.Net
Type in, Tanning Hides
Click, Search

Good Luck.

2slow
06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Nice bear and from the last picture it looks like you suffer from the same thing I do. On almost every animal I gut and skin I forget to take my damn watch off.:-D

outdoorsman812
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Nice bear and from the last picture it looks like you suffer from the same thing I do. On almost every animal I gut and skin I forget to take my damn watch off.:-D

yeah haha, i had to scrub it off real good:-)

Thanks for the info Mr.Dean

outdoorsman812
06-04-2008, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=sparky300winmag;289487]Congrats on the BBear.Hey i've only eaten bear meat a few times,but I've never gone out exclusively to harvest one.Are they like any other animal in regards to quality of meat.I think what i'm trying to say is are they worth going after to fill the freezer?I heard they are wormy ( which always worried me).[/QUOT

The meat is good, it depends alot upon what the bear has been into. There tends to be worms inside the intestines and such, but that wouldnt hurt anything. The main thing is the chance of trichinosis in the meat, but this can be cured by freezing for more than 45 days and/or cooking thoroughly. I find in the areas i hunt the bears taste sweet, and almost as good as the deer around here.

martyonthewater
06-04-2008, 08:14 PM
very nice bear, congrats, FYI I just spoke with taxidermist in van. ( pacific leather-604-874-5526) and they quoted me $374. for skull removal, deboning paws and tanning hide on a roughly 6 ft. hide. Will be calling Mainlandhunter next now that I know he's in the business. congrats again

outdoorsman812
06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
very nice bear, congrats, FYI I just spoke with taxidermist in van. ( pacific leather-604-874-5526) and they quoted me $374. for skull removal, deboning paws and tanning hide on a roughly 6 ft. hide. Will be calling Mainlandhunter next now that I know he's in the business. congrats again

thanks man, and thanks for the info, i will have to start making some phonecalls

Derp
06-04-2008, 11:39 PM
wawwwaweeewa!! thats a killer bear.

I'd definatley rug that rug worthy beast!

Schutzen
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
That is a doozer! You get that skull measured now, hear. Congrats on a nice trophy bear.

Blainer
06-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Nice looking bear.

NaStY
06-06-2008, 12:17 PM

SSS

Ya your right. Was looking at it from a lowermainland point of view. To me Kelowna is all one inc westbank now.....