PDA

View Full Version : Flys

oddsix
06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Can anyone recommend a good fly kit for fly fishing. Just starting out and i just fish trout and kokanee and maybe some bull trout. or just any good indivudal flys for those fish. any help is appreciated.

thanks

frenchbar
06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I would reccomend getting a good vise first and foremost .The ones in the kits are junk. Lots of tying sites on line ,check them out it will give you a good idea of what you need and show you good step by steps in tying certain flys.taking a fly tying course wouldnt hurt either.

Smokepole
06-03-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree with frenchbar about the vise. Most of the good stores will have some vises on display. Here's a good test; take a 1/0 or 2/0 hook put it in the vise and push down on the eye of the hook. If you can bend the hook or at the very least put some real pressure on it without the hook sliding around it should work fine. I'm not a fan of the kits, you will probably end up with a lot of stuff you won't use.

My favorite wet fly is a pheasant tail nymph in size 10 or 12,dry fly would be a humpy in size 12 or 14.

frenchbar
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Agood fly to start practicing tying is a chronomid,all you need is some white beads, various colors of thread some fine red or siver wire and some size 12 scud hooks.I catch the majority of my trout on them especialy the color black with the red wire wrap.They work well especialy during the spring and fall.

puppychow
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I am not highly experienced in fly tying but have dabbled in the art. I would recommend a decent vise and decent assessories. Check out your catalogues and local sport shops. Something in the mid-range would suffice. Good luck. Puppy.

newhunterette
06-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I have been tying flies for many many years - I was finally given a Griffon Fly tying kit for Mother's Day one year and what a great gift it has been. I can whip up chronomids and woolly buggers and leeches of all colours as well as the famous tom thumb - get a few doc spratleys in there also - Peter enjoys having his flies well stocked each year and once in a while I throw in a special twist that just might be the ultimate walter fly.

Set yourself up with a vise - they have beginner kits available and the patterns are easy to follow and duplicate once you get the knack of it - the first time a fish gets caught on a fly you have tied will be the ultimate rush

Ali

frenchbar
06-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Green and burgundy marabou leeches and mohair leeches in the same colors work like a hot dam in the lakes here in the interior.