PDA

View Full Version : SICKENING FIND! 3 POACHED BEARS today!

elkdom
06-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Took a drive today.warm sunny afternoon,heading into area I hunt frequently,I spot 2 ravens in tree near resource road,stop get out walk over about 30 yards of road,what a sickening sight,3 dead bears,a small sow about 3 or 4 yrs old, and 2 cabs,maybe about 40 pounds,all 3 have been dead several days, all three completly intact other than incision on stomach some SOB low down scum killed sow and 2 cubs for the bear gauls it appears! Took some pics and didn't move anything,contacting CO's,I havent seen this for a couple of years,I hoped it was over or at least being curtailed,I just cant get over how PISSED OFF this makes me!

TIKA 300
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Once these guys are caught,they should pull out there brains then send them in for scientific experiments to see why they pull this CRAP,and if that doesnt work we'll be less a couple poachers. :mad::?:

Wolfman
06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Maybe the scumbags who did this, if caught, would like THEIR gall bladders removed - preferably without the help of anesthetic?

Poachers are such scum.

Wolfman

elkdom
06-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Once these guys are caught,they should pull out there brains then send them in for scientific experiments to see why they pull this CRAP,and if that doesnt work we'll be less a couple poachers. :mad::?:

YEH thats 10-4 from me on that,and if they could catch the dirt bags that pay huge money for this Illegal and Disgusting waste of our resources,then the BUYER should get to watch just before its his turn to have his brain dug out! if he has one?

kgs
06-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Poachers = Hang them high! Hang them quick!

Kitimat Killer
06-01-2008, 11:01 PM
im with wolfman on this one those type of guys should be shot and left there thats what i think

Deadeye
06-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Poachers are a schedule C pest, right ? Anytime, anywhere, any reason...

It would be only slightly less gratifying than catching the b*stard that broke into my truck !

Grrrrrrr.....

srupp
06-02-2008, 12:10 AM
I agree its sick and disgusting HOWEVER the current rules are BS..yes they are the rules and we MUST obey them HOWEVER by making it "illegal " to sell the gall bladder it dramatically reduces the supply without dimminishing demand..result HUGE $$$$$$$$$$ making it very very lucrituive to pull this shit..not right but extremely profitable..it used to be that a gall bladder fetched $150...then $500 for a grizzly..then $3,500..then $$$$$$$$$$$
Imho If you shoot the animal and "legally " tag it according to the rules it "belongs " to "you"..you should be able to do...?????

Yes I know it would be anincentive for "non hunters to get licneses to sell meat and galls and ???HOWEVER right now with the banning of this , it has skyrocketted the price and made this a serious problem..because its just so financially appealing to some..
It IS illegal and the %%#%^^%*# should be heavily FINED lose his ability to carry ANY WEAPON for 20 years.....

Steven

CHilko21
06-02-2008, 03:57 AM
What a load of crap. I agree with all the above said, it's a horrible waste of our resources and pathetic. Of course, they'll probably be defined as "hunters", so it makes those of us who actually abide by the laws and regulations look like a bunch of b***ards too

hunter1947
06-02-2008, 04:59 AM
All I can say is I hope that these people that did this awful thing will slip up one day and get caught at the acthttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

Paulyman
06-02-2008, 08:22 AM
I agree its sick and disgusting HOWEVER the current rules are BS..yes they are the rules and we MUST obey them HOWEVER by making it "illegal " to sell the gall bladder it dramatically reduces the supply without dimminishing demand..result HUGE $$$$$$$$$$ making it very very lucrituive to pull this shit..not right but extremely profitable..it used to be that a gall bladder fetched $150...then $500 for a grizzly..then $3,500..then $$$$$$$$$$$
Imho If you shoot the animal and "legally " tag it according to the rules it "belongs " to "you"..you should be able to do...?????

Yes I know it would be anincentive for "non hunters to get licneses to sell meat and galls and ???HOWEVER right now with the banning of this , it has skyrocketted the price and made this a serious problem..because its just so financially appealing to some..
It IS illegal and the %%#%^^%*# should be heavily FINED lose his ability to carry ANY WEAPON for 20 years.....

Steven

I agree 100%

Steeleco
06-02-2008, 08:27 AM

Steven

I agree, take away the illegal market and save some bears life. I'd give any of mine to the gov't but they want no part of it!

Wolfman
06-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Poachers are a schedule C pest, right ? Anytime, anywhere, any reason...

It would be only slightly less gratifying than catching the b*stard that broke into my truck !

Grrrrrrr.....

Schedule 'c' pest.....I love it. Too true as well.

Wolfman

BiG Boar
06-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I told my landlord about my bear hunt and he asked me what I did with the gall bladder. I said I left it at the kill site to which he couldnt beleive me and got quite upset, and he said, "next time you got to tie it off, dry it out for 6 months in the sun, cut off the bag its in, and do some other stuff (I am leaving this out so that no one gets the idea that I am promoting doing this). Then you drink a bit of it at a time and it make you strong like horse in bed. Your woman begin to want to kick you out of bed!" I asked him if he has ever drank some of it or made some and he said yes. Why am I telling you this? Not to encourage you to try it, as it is illegal. But to show you that there actually are people out there who use and believe in this stuff. I thought it was like back alley sort of activity on the black market. But there he was telling me that he made and used the stuff (didnt say when). When I read about poached bears I was surprised that this stuff actually went on. I thought it was asian black bears that they milked the gall bladders live. A sow with cubs really saddens me, as I have seen 2 sets of them this year and dont know how someone could have done that, they were so cool to watch. Anyways, my eyes are now opened reading this post and talking to that guy.

Mr. Dean
06-02-2008, 10:04 AM

Steven

I kinda feel this also, but also hold reservations.

It's a double edged sword. In the past, we learned that our Wildlife pop's couldn't stand the pressure's of commercial hunting. Although we have an abundance of Black's in the province as of now; what would it look like IF it were too become legal and sell parts, then only to be closed again, several years down the road?

We would then have a market (even an expanded one, perhaps) that has been accustomed to having what they want, when they want it, at a 'reasonable' price. Only to be cut-off. :eek:

I believe what we have now is better, in the long run.

Maybe it's time for some Robo Bears in the wilds and for people that are in the 'loop' of asspits as these, too "Man Up", and do the right thing!.

srupp
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
hmmm yes I see your point but if you only knew what a grizzly gall went for BECAUSE of the shortage..... it would buy a new CAR.. were when it was legal the price was between $150-$500...who would risk anything for $150 far fewer than the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ today...

It IS against the law and the *******s should be hit HARD..and killing cubs..forever lose their privliges to hunt or carry any weapon..

Cheers

Steven

scottgreen
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow, these people are terrible people. I must admit as well though that the laws have made the supply/demand go through the roof.

Wolfman
06-02-2008, 01:12 PM
If they catch the guys who did this - or any poachers for that matter - they should just knecap 'em good. Then it will be kinda hard getting out in the bush while in a wheelchair.

Yeah, but that would probably end up taxing the medical system...Rrrrr!

Wolfman

Deadeye
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Nah, just handcuff 'em to a big blackie...let the punishment fit the crime !

Mr. Dean
06-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Nah, just handcuff 'em to a big blackie...let the punishment fit the crime !

x2
Ditto
Agreed

:mad:

elkdom
06-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Finally got through to the RAPP Hot line this morning, Tried first to contact a real "Human" at the MOE office in Dawson Creek and Ft St John BC, no one there answered the phone, so I call RAPP Hot line, give all myparticulars and details of my concerns, generall location of kill site, left home phone and mobile numbers, so CO's could get exact directions, its about 5:30 pm now,no calls no msg's, I find this very odd! seems like only a few people give a $hit, and it don't appear to be the ones from MOE! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Vansmasher
06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Finally got through to the RAPP Hot line this morning, Tried first to contact a real "Human" at the MOE office in Dawson Creek and Ft St John BC, no one there answered the phone, so I call RAPP Hot line, give all myparticulars and details of my concerns, generall location of kill site, left home phone and mobile numbers, so CO's could get exact directions, its about 5:30 pm now,no calls no msg's, I find this very odd! seems like only a few people give a $hit, and it don't appear to be the ones from MOE! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
Yeah.... I wouldn't wait by the phone if I were you.

horshur
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM

RAPP is more than a disappointment!!!!...careful you probably end up a suspect....you called it in you must know sumthing...

Monashee
06-02-2008, 07:27 PM
yeah , it seems like if you report a suspected poached animal some CO's treat you like a suspect rather than a law abiding honest hunter. That happened to me at the Grand Forks Conservation office some years back when I came across a dead ungulate that was shot out of season , the CO's name was Les Molnar , who had a poor reputation and in fact got caught abusing his position .... never did hear exactly what punishment he received .

Deadeye
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
"MOE: creating vigilantes one mistake at a time"

killman
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
They are probably surrounding your house now.

elkdom
06-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I know these CO's names and where they live,so if I don't hear from them by 9 pm tonite! I will be calling them on thier "OFF" time,if there's no answer at thier home phone,then I will drive into DCrk ( 35klms) and leave a big note on each of thier doors! and I don't give a $hit if they dont like it!

oddsix
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Maybe one day a nice big boar will come along and eat em up

EvanG
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Everybody say a prayer tonite for the poor mother****** that I ever run in to pulling this shit, or even using the stuff for that matter.

Phreddy
06-02-2008, 10:28 PM
To me it's just one rung up from killing something just to watch it die. Gives us all a bad name and fits right in with the anti's picture of "bloodthirsty killers."
Just ruins it for us all.

elkdom
06-02-2008, 10:49 PM
MADE the call ! appears I will be 'GUIDING', CO tomorrow "Pro Bono" and what fun it would be to stumble on the bear poachers in the morning!

Mr. Dean
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Ease up on the CO's fellas. If these people didn't care, they wouldn't hold these jobs. Many are driven for the conservation of our Wildlife.

:idea: Trouble with how the 'system' works is completely outta their hands. Write a letter to Mr. Penner, instead.

FYI, I used the hot-line last year. It took several days for a return call. I hope this works differently.

Mik
06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Seems someone is trying to hi-jack this thread. Its about bear poachers and yes hopefully they get caught and punished.

elkdom
06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Ease up on the CO's fellas. If these people didn't care, they wouldn't hold these jobs. Many are driven for the conservation of our Wildlife.

:idea: Trouble with how the 'system' works is completely outta their hands. Write a letter to Mr. Penner, instead.

FYI, I used the hot-line last year. It took several days for a return call. I hope this works differently.

No prob with the CO's,they work hard with what they have,cutbacks,short staffed, many times not much co-operation from the pubic, and in this matter (3 poached bears) the CO's are on thier way out to location in the AM,so all is good!

huntwriter
06-02-2008, 11:43 PM
I have to agree with Srupp. Outlawing the use of bear gal bladders will not stop poachers. We had last season a similar discussion here and I suggested then that it would be much wiser if the government would set up a collection base where hunters could take bear gal bladders. The government then could sell these gall bladders to the ethnic groups that make use of them.

Such a program would stop bear poaching and in addition bring money that in turn could be used for conservation purposes. The numbers of bears legally hunted in B.C. could easily cover the demand on gal bladders.

In my opinion that would make much more sense than convince Asian communities to change their medication, especially one like gal that is actually proven to have many useful applications in medicine without the nasty side effects of manufactured medicine.

ratherbefishin
06-03-2008, 07:08 AM
my solution?-stake them out during the bear rut.....

Mr. Dean
06-03-2008, 08:48 AM
No prob with the CO's,they work hard with what they have,cutbacks,short staffed, many times not much co-operation from the pubic, and in this matter (3 poached bears) the CO's are on thier way out to location in the AM,so all is good!

Just being nosey, looking for an update...

Vansmasher
06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I have to agree with Srupp. Outlawing the use of bear gal bladders will not stop poachers. We had last season a similar discussion here and I suggested then that it would be much wiser if the government would set up a collection base where hunters could take bear gal bladders. The government then could sell these gall bladders to the ethnic groups that make use of them.

Such a program would stop bear poaching and in addition bring money that in turn could be used for conservation purposes. The numbers of bears legally hunted in B.C. could easily cover the demand on gal bladders.

In my opinion that would make much more sense than convince Asian communities to change their medication, especially one like gal that is actually proven to have many useful applications in medicine without the nasty side effects of manufactured medicine.
You've got my vote.....the government could even give hunters a little something for the bladders, as hunters we put a lot of money into the economy, any little bit back would be a bonus (ie. free LEH cards or something). The biggest beef for hunters would be that not only is the governemnt making money hand over fist through hunting licences etc., but also by selling our gall bladders.
Naturally the gov couldn't pay hunters too much for bladders because you'd have people hunting bears that never used to..... and taking 2 every year just for that reason.
Its a touchy subject either way??

memphis
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
met a guy up north when i was working, heard em talking at the pub about going just for the bladder and leaving the rest, wont mention the town but i knew a few guys up there and they all knew he was doing it, small town everyone knows what everyone is doing. he didnt seem to think it was that bad cause theres so many of them, we had words about it after a heated and intoxicated conversation we decided to finish it out side, i know some will say it aint the answer but when it was over i like to think he got just a 1% feeling of what animal had to for no reason. just pisses me off when people do or even think like that,

theres hunters then theres people who should be hunted...

srupp
06-03-2008, 10:36 AM
THATS A GREAT IDEA..free LEH cards in exchange..that way only real hunters would benifit...good thinking..

I was offered a "HUGE" amount of money 5 years ago for a grizzly gall bladder..

My way of dealing with bears I shoot ..INCLUDING the one Tim and I got..its gall was enormous...= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

is to OPEN up the bear..and leaving the gall bladder attached to the underside of the liver..SLICE it (gall bladder) open and let the juice run onto the ground that way should anyone stumble onto the remains there is no gall to scrounge...and it would demonstrate to C/O'S that you are following the rules....no accusations...

Steven

Mr. Dean
06-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Where I hunt bears, all the locals I know were concerned about "Where's the gall"???

Not for self-gaining measures, rather conservation/regulatory adherence.

scottgreen
06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
If you want to punish them properly, make them dodge bullets. =/

elkdom
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
" Panda " , How about your office makes decals available to the public,hunters fishermen, anyone who may wish to display a decal on thier ,truck,boat quad etc,large enough to be noticed from 20/30 feet , signs have definatly have an effect on the public as a whole! , just my 2 pennies!

GoatGuy
06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
" Panda " , How about your office makes decals available to the public,hunters fishermen, anyone who may wish to display a decal on thier ,truck,boat quad etc,large enough to be noticed from 20/30 feet , signs have definatly have an effect on the public as a whole! , just my 2 pennies!

They do currently have stickers.

Your CO's should have them in their office. Like anything I'm sure they could be bigger.

mark
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Im another one to support huntwriter & Vansmashers ideas! It makes so much sense, why arnt we already doing it??? How would we go about presenting this idea to the right people to make this happen???? Gee, create revenue to go back towards conservation, fill the need for a product that some people are paying way to much money for, and we'd be putting poacher out of business! Win, Win, Win!

huntwriter
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I am actually one of the provincial RAPP Coordinators... at the moment we are looking at expanding our messaging online. I just started a week ago and we've already got 15+ websites giving us free advertising.

If any of you have any feedback regarding RAPP messaging let me know! I don't think there is a whole lot I can do about the call center and CO response time but if you have any suggestions about how to better get the message out there please feel free to give me an email:

sean.kearney@bcccorps.com

Also, attached is our RAPP logo... if any of you have websites or know people who manage sites (wildlife associations, businesses, blogs, etc) please put it up and link it to www.rapp.bc.ca (http://www.rapp.bc.ca). Just having more people aware of the program is a deterrent in itself.

Thanks,
Sean

Well As it happens I have the RAPP logo linked to the rapp-website on all my blogs.
Outdoors with Othmar Vohringer (http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/)
B.C. Fishing Blog (http://bcfishingblog.blogspot.com/)
Wild Turkey Fever (http://wildturkeyfever.blogspot.com/)
Whitetail Deer Passion (http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.com/)

An average of 8,670 people see that logo every day (about 62% of them Canadian). Am I a good boy or what!:D

Gateholio
06-04-2008, 02:10 AM
I agree that galls should be sold legally, and to a government agency, if need be..

Making heroin illegal doesn't stop the influx of drugs...

A huge influx of galls should force the price down, limiting the profits of poachers. makes sense to me...

hunter1947
06-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Look at it this way if the gallbladders are sold to the government and only to the government to me this would make sense. Like gatehouse said it would stop a lot of this poaching of bears and also bring down the demand for gallbladders. The bear that we shoot and then leave the gall in the bush to go to waist doesent make sense to me when it can be used for a good cause. And besides it would help us the hunters out if we got a little in return ,would help pay for some fuel.

sparkes3
06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
gut shot and left tied to a tree for the next blackie that comes along

winbuckhunter
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
or some crazy A$$ redneck will catch them and take them to the farm and show then how it really is!!!!!!!!!!

i was fishing in streak lake last year when a bull moose ran into the water out of no where and died.. 20 mins later two indians came out of the bush and stared at the moose for a couple minutes then walked away.. i thought they would come back but i was fishin for about 4 hours after that and they didnt come back.. it was sick.... so i called the CO and he came and got the moose and it was taken to the red cross.. so at least there was no waste..

BCHunterFSJ
06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Several years ago I found a poached grizzly bear. Thinking to be a good citizen, I reported the find to the CO's. Then the unbelievable happened.
I was accused of having shot the bear myself, thinking that it was a brown phase black bear. I was interrogated for 3 hours, and was being videotaped all this time. At one time the CO left the room and told me to think about what I had done very carefully. He was gone some 20 minutes... When he returned he said that he had made some phone calls and suggested that I confess. At that point I had enough and walked out of his Fort St. John office, totally stressed out. Needless to say, I have not been reporting anymore illegal kills!

Note: I have been an ethical and law abiding hunter for the last 45 years.

mark
06-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Several years ago I found a poached grizzly bear. Thinking to be a good citizen, I reported the find to the CO's. Then the unbelievable happened.
I was accused of having shot the bear myself, thinking that it was a brown phase black bear. I was interrogated for 3 hours, and was being videotaped all this time. At one time the CO left the room and told me to think about what I had done very carefully. He was gone some 20 minutes... When he returned he said that he had made some phone calls and suggested that I confess. At that point I had enough and walked out of his Fort St. John office, totally stressed out. Needless to say, I have not been reporting anymore illegal kills!

Note: I have been an ethical and law abiding hunter for the last 45 years.

Why were you even in the office, were you arrested??? If not, the first minute they disrespected you, you should have left! Ive never had such an experience, but I find dead game all the time, Ive never bothered to report it, its just a dead animal!