PDA

View Full Version : 4 generation fishing trip

willyqbc
05-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Last year for Xmas we presented my grandfather (91 yrs old) with a fishing trip to Prince Rupert to fish with me, my son and my dad (oldtimer). So this past week the trip happened and we had 4 generations of my family together fishing on the same boat. We started the trip with a tour past the coastal village of met la katch la (sp??) where 91 one years earlier my grandfather was born. I think like a salmon he was really feeling the need to return to the place of his birth without really knowing why.

Day one:

Reports were that the salmon fishing was a little slow but oh well that fishing. It took a while but we did manage to get my son his first salmon in the morning....it was a beatiful 28lb spring....not too shabby for a first salmon!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/michael_salmon.jpg

So with salmon being slow we decided to try halibut for a while. After a few different spots we managed to find a pocket of 'butts and pulled in our daily limit in about an hour. My little guy (8 years old) and his great grandfather each pulled in 15 lb'ers and oldtimer got a 27 lb'er.....best I could manage was a little chicken.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/4_gen_halibut.jpg

Day 2.

day 2 was a test of patience for an 8 year old for sure, the morning session looking for salmon was dismal.....we and the boats around us were just burning fuel with no slamon being caught anywhere. So we pulled up lines and headed for halibut spots.....again, no luck....very strange as we normally have very little trouble getting on halibut...oh well, keep on trying. as the afternoon was wearing on we decide to try one more salmon spot for the day and our patience was rewarded. First fish was a nice 20lb'er for my grandfather. We quickly swung around and got the lines back down and as we crossed over the spot again Oldtimer nailed this beauty....it weighed an even 40 lbs....the pic does not do it justice

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mike_40_lb_er.jpg

with time running out on the day we were 3 minutes from the time we had agreed to pull up lines and head in when my little guy struck again...this time for a beauty that weighed in at 30lbs even.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/michael_salmon.jpg

All in all the fishing was a little slow but we got really lucky with the fish we did catch. And of course the fishing was not what the trip was really about anyway. My grandfather at 91 years old reeled in a salmon and halibut by himself, 4 generations of my families men were there to witness the youngest generation catching his first salmon and halibut, we also got to witness Oldtimer catching his biggest salmon ever. A pretty special trip none of us will soon forget.

Special thanks go out to our good friend Al who generously supplied the boat and the expertise for this trip...it is appreciated more than i can say.

Chris

Marc
05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Good going Chris and Family! I didn't realize there was an ocean in the boo :) Good to see some fish getting caught and I'm sure Micheal had a blast once the fish started bitting.

abbyfireguy
05-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Chris,

That is the stuff that families are made for. Everyone looked like they had a great time together and enjoyed the salt air..
I am a great proponent of young kids spending time with their grandparents and great-grandparents if they are still alive. My two kids love to sit and talk with their 4 grandparents, which is something for a 14 and 16 year old to do willingly.
Thanks for the pics and hope you all keep smiling.. These kind of posts really brighten my day...:smile:

Steve

MooseNuts
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I was at the Totem today and the general manager was telling your story, apparently you and your family are legend here in Rupert.

Congrats on the fish. I hope that I live to enjoy a similar event one day.

Paulyman
05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Where was your Grampa, i dont see any 91 year old men in those photos ;)

oddsix
05-30-2008, 05:57 PM
sounds like a good time was had by all, and congrats to your son on a first salmon

willyqbc
05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
whoops....I see I screwed up the photo posting and posted the same pic twice....sorry bout that!

Chris

pupper
05-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Incredible Chris! good for the whole lot of yah!

oldtimer
05-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I cannot add anything to this adventure that Chris hasn't said except for the incredible feeling we all had being together and everytime we talk about it there is an exceptional good feeling as well as a lot of shit-eatin grins.
As Chris said my heartfelt thanks go out to Al the Magnificent.

Mike

threedhunter
05-31-2008, 12:55 PM
congrats guys, a worthy time spent and fun had by all. THATS REAL QUALITY TIME, we all need this kind of trip, just a lot of the time , we fail to make adjustments in our hectic lives to do just this.chris, mike , oldtimer, and grandad, many special memories to enjoy.:biggrin:threedhunter

srupp
06-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Well done Chris and family..

Steven

Leaseman
06-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Nothing beats the feeling of having several generations out, does it!! Good to see everyone having fun...:-D

ianwuzhere
06-02-2008, 07:26 AM
wow- pretty fat lookin salmon- some nice fillets off them,mmm halibut.
gotta love summer...

swamper
06-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Awesome pictures brother. I can hardly wait to see the video. You know that you may have created a monster in Michael. He may have to give up archery to become a professional salmon fisherman.