PDA

View Full Version : Camo pattern advice.....Again.

stefan schumann
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Here is the Conclusion,

Here is an example of a specific question with clear language and a multiple choice answer. There were 23 answers, only two of them within the choices given. I think this is a really illustrative case for the type of information a guy can get on the internet and the fact that you always have to wade through the static to get what you need.

Thanks for your input boys, it was funny.

BTW, I ordered the Rivers West Stalker AT jacket and pant in LAW lightweight fabric Hardwoods green.

Hi,
I have searched existing threads but have found little specific pattern advice so here goes-
I am about to order my rivers west outfit and I need some advice on the pattern I should choose.
I hunt coastal, interior mountain and east kootenay rockies.
My choices are 1. Realtree hardwoods green
2. Mossy Oak new break up
3. Digital confusion
The examples are on this page: http://www.riverswest.com/hifi.html
click midweight gear, click stalker jacket, click pattern to get large view.
I have made up my mind on this specific garment so these are my choices, suggestions about other brands and patterns aren't very useful.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input!

STEF

Stone Sheep Steve
05-30-2008, 10:12 AM
MY best advice would be to order different patterns for tops and bottoms. Helps to break up your sillouette.

SSS

Ron.C
05-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I would buy whichever one has the most contrast between coulours. Alot of the New Mossy Oak Breakup stuff seems very dark, with little contrast between the different coulor shades. The contrast between lighter and darker shades is what will break up your outline and ultimatley offer better concealment.

steel_ram
05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Depends on what "statement" your trying to accomplish.

The red and black checkered Filson with dark wool pants, suggests a functional traditionalist.

If your parents or grand pappy were in WWII, you just gotta go for one of those early patterns. Of course, if your of any kind of military background, your gonna want to wear the pertainent pattern, cus the army stuff is always better than anything some civy can come up with. Besides, your likely a long ways from your "Veterans" license plate, so how else to advertise your surplus.

The classic twead, tie and tartin never real made a hit here. Your more likely to get laughed at around the campfire.

If your my vintage, you'll probably mull around with surplus Vietnam patterns and some early "hunting patterns", like "Mossy Oak", "Real Tree" or "Tree Bark", or if your really nutty, go with Tree bark with leaves. Hey Hey Yeah Yeah Yeah!

As for modern patterns, except what I walk by in Walmart, I haven't a clue! I do hear the digitals are real gucchi and all the rage.

Don't stand in the open, move when being watched, or skyline yourself. Stay downwind and stick to the shadows.

Otherwise, the game don't care.

silvicon
05-30-2008, 03:41 PM
wearing camo is a yankee thing.
animals do not see in colour, so any kind of cloth is ok.
the whole camo cloth industry is just a big rip-off, praying of dumb people thinking if the wear this or that brand the wil be better hunters.

frenchbar
05-30-2008, 03:47 PM
the whole camo cloth industry is just a big rip-off, praying of dumb people thinking if the wear this or that brand the wil be better hunters.

Ya whatever:roll:

todbartell
05-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I like Mossy Oak brush, but most good clothing is in just MO break up...camo is important but not the biggest factor in being unseen. Movement is probably the biggest, and noise.

Krico
05-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Without suggesting a certain pattern, I will suggest you get the one with the most contrast-light background and dark branches etc. The point of camo is to break up your outline, so particular colors/branch and leaf patterns are not that important. Most camo out there by default is much too dark and appears as one solid dark color from a distance.

kennyj
05-30-2008, 07:50 PM
I'd go with the Hardwoods Green.Unfortunately a lot of the best hunting gear only comes in various camo patterns.
Kenny

milroy
05-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I know you probably don't want to hear this but a word of advice, get some opinions on the rivers west, I have a jacket and it doesn't do the trick, you sweat far too much in it and it's the only jacket I've had to dry in late season by a fire by turning it inside out. Three buddies have it and all concur. Great looking jacket but.......

greybark
05-30-2008, 08:24 PM
;-) Hey Stefan , Be carefull with any of the darker camo`s (most Brownings) as in half light or shadows at 20 yards they appear as black .
:biggrin: What the heck 30% of males are colour blind red , green and brown .(I`m one) !!!!
Cheers

todbartell
05-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I know you probably don't want to hear this but a word of advice, get some opinions on the rivers west, I have a jacket and it doesn't do the trick, you sweat far too much in it and it's the only jacket I've had to dry in late season by a fire by turning it inside out. Three buddies have it and all concur. Great looking jacket but.......

Rivers West makes a variety of jacket/parka types and styles - I would not paint them all with the same brush :D

stefan schumann
05-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback guys but some of you are going off topic.
Out of the three patterns I've listed which one would you suggest, thats it.
Click on the link to see examples.
Thanks.
S

todbartell
05-30-2008, 11:33 PM
hardwoods green all the way

winbuckhunter
06-06-2008, 12:24 AM
silvicon must not do very well!!!

whitetailsheds
06-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Here's the best camo advice.....pick which ever appeals mostly to you. Then keep the wind in your favor.

SHAKER
06-06-2008, 08:39 AM
IMO most camo today is way to dark............ I typicaly look for the lightest paterns. Easier to dark'n then it is to light'n up. Most dramatic is someone walking out in the open in thin light, dark camo looks like a black blob, light stuff just looks smudgy and out of place.

Almost forgot....... It should be quiet in the bush. Wool or fleece always has my vote. That other stuff is for town wear or just keeping warm on the quad (untill you park it and start hunt'n for real).

rishu_pepper
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
My vote goes to Hardwood Green.

Studies have shown that deer eyes do not have the "red" colour cone, which means they are essentially red-green colour blind like some humans. That doesn't mean they can't see a red object, but it will appear in another greyish hue to it; thus when they see a blaze orange vest, they see a bright white/grey colour which alerts them because of the big difference between that and "nature colours".

To go further OT :biggrin: one should be more worried about scent than camo. If a deer sees you, it might be alerted and wanting to "check things out" (it's not sure if it's human/other animal's movement), but when a deer scents you (a completely foreign smell in the forest), it's curtains for you.

BiG Boar
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
silvicon must not do very well!!!

Ya, I would say silvicon has probably never bagged an animal. An animal looks at your outfit and either says take me to the butcher, or see you later. The really big bucks prefer more expensive camo, and appriciate if you paint your face also, also, camo boots must go with the outfit, plain black boots are just rediqulous, the deer will see them right away even if you are waste deep in a swamp. One time I saw a big buck and I was wearing just a black shirt. (I wasnt wearing pants at the time.) He saw me and ran away because it was a cheap chinese import t-shirt with some corporate logo pasted on the front. I could tell that buck wasnt impressed. That or he was afraid of snakes.
I would recomend getting something that looks good to you and gets you more chicks in the bush. I prefer an urban camo pant and a red checkered cotton shirt with the arms cut off. I feel that set up gets the most babes.
As far as the patterns you say we have to choose from, I would persoanlly go to the zoo, go to the deer cage and ask for a direct opinion of which they like the best. If this doesnt help, PM me and I can offer you the real secrets to picking great camo!

stefan schumann
06-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Here's the deal, I am getting the stuff because it is Guaranteed 10 years waterproof and thornproof .The stuff was developed in our part of the world for our type of terrain. I am allways in the wet and wading through devils club and hawthorne as well as wiping out on rocks etc. I am into stuff that does'nt breakdown, know what I mean
I am not thinking the camo makes anybody a better hunter but none the less camo is what it comes in.

3 Patterns as stated above, thanks for the input.

STEF

MIL720
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
you may be on the wrong site to say that sorta B.S.

elkdom
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
you may be on the wrong site to say that sorta B.S.

Dont forget the 'CAMO A$$ WIPE' !!! your gonna need some of that if you wanna get "IN REAL CLOSE" ! ,

One Shot
06-12-2008, 02:17 AM

Well shows you do not know to much, because southerners wear more camo than the yankees do. LOL. If you are referring to Americans then you still know dick as I am one. You need to do research about camo and its purpose. You are right about the color thing though. Camo is just not about color.

boxhitch
06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Plaid is actually a good camo. Anything to break-up the outline. A vest over a different color shirt is good too.
Plaid should be the official Canuck Camo.

elkdom
06-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Plaid is actually a good camo. Anything to break-up the outline. A vest over a different color shirt is good too.
Plaid should be the official Canuck Camo.

X 2 on that boxhitch ,movement,wind direction, noise, and a true understanding of the game one is seeking are far more important than camo clothing! I have killed dozens of 6 X bull elk wearing flannel plaid shirts and blue jeans,many of them closer than 20 yards when I shot them,and even when I pulled the trigger they wern't aware I was there,for many wanting success at hunting ,money would far be better spent buying some quaity hunting books,reading back to front over and over,untill you think the same as the game you seek, industry though advertising has brain washed much of the public into wearing ' FASHIONABLE CAMO GEAR' , my 4X4 toyota hunting rig is painted camo! what does that mean?, it tells the PUBLIC I am a hunter! the same as much of what people wear, basically it is a FASHION statement! to each his own!

meathead
06-12-2008, 08:43 PM
kings mountain shadow is the best

stefan schumann
06-16-2008, 11:21 AM
See my conclusion on page 1