PDA

View Full Version : CWD in BC? and fawn kill this spring??

winbuckhunter
05-30-2008, 04:37 AM
So what do you guys think about the cronic wasting disease?? how long do you figure it will take for it to cross the rockies?? ive heard of cases in western alberta around rockymountain house and even northern BC around grand prairie.. would be devistating.. Also i talked to a local CO here in kelowna and he told me that there was a large number of fawn kill. Due to the late winter and cold weather we got in april..

Anyone know anything at all about the two subjects??

J_T
05-30-2008, 06:45 AM
In Reg 4, the Traditional Bowhunters of BC have a contract to collect heads off of road kill and hunter kill for MOE. We have done this for about 6 years. As far as I know, there is no indication of CWD in the Reg 4 area of the trench.

bwhnter
05-30-2008, 07:14 AM
There hasn't been any CWD around the Grande Prairie yet but in region 7 we have set up freezers so that people can drop off the heads of the game that they shoot so that tests can be done. If it makes it into BC it will most likely come through Region 7. The chances are there but I have been told by the Provincial vet that they are keeping a close eye on Alberta and where the confirmed cases are.

So if you are in region 7 this fall and you are successful wether it is deer, moose, elk or even caribou cut the antlers off and as soon as possible drop it off at a freezer ( North Peace Rod & Gun Club for example) with the tag numbers, location killed and your name, address and phone number.

Bwhnter

Bowzone_Mikey
05-30-2008, 05:06 PM
There isnt much in NW Alberta just yet ... its mostly out east on the sask border area .... the Cull sites out there are terrible .... I see it actually comming in through south and central BC rockies ... CWD will be found in Elk in BC before Deer ....

As most should know CWD is transmitted through close proximities and fecal matter (similar to BSE or Madcow) the herds of Elk in the National parks are prime candidates and little or no natural predation ... the herds just get bigger and bigger CWD will develop as the natural terrain and food supply runs short etc ...

You have never heard of Mad cow dieses in a lifetime free range cow ... all the cases documented the cows have spent time in a feedlot .... that is whats going to happen in the national parks if some herd numbers dont go down,

GoatGuy
05-30-2008, 10:08 PM
So what do you guys think about the cronic wasting disease?? how long do you figure it will take for it to cross the rockies?? ive heard of cases in western alberta around rockymountain house and even northern BC around grand prairie.. would be devistating.. Also i talked to a local CO here in kelowna and he told me that there was a large number of fawn kill. Due to the late winter and cold weather we got in april..

Anyone know anything at all about the two subjects??

No confirmed cases on cwd in bc. Testing has been going on for quite some time.

The rest is because hunters think wildlife can be stockpiled. We will learn the hard way that it can't. Over population = winter kill, poor herd health and low recruitment rates.

J_T
05-31-2008, 06:29 AM
CWD is transmitted through close proximities and fecal matter

The rest is because hunters think wildlife can be stockpiled.
So the next time there is an abundance of snow in your area, think twice about supporting a winter feeding program. There are ways to support wildlife in hard times, but to just dump feed on the ground, in the same place day after day, is not helping.

horshur
05-31-2008, 07:52 AM

The rest is because hunters think wildlife can be stockpiled. We will learn the hard way that it can't. Over population = winter kill, poor herd health and low recruitment rates.

It has nothin to do with hunters...it has everything to do with bios and there buds who like the pensions and don't want to make waves inspite of the science.
If they would build it the hunters would come.

And I will put one more jab...apparently it is the BCWF who represent hunters in BC and are directly involved in some season policy setting. "THE" hunters your talking about I would presume?????

Jessie you sound like a Goddamm politician....