PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Migrating?

scottgreen
05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I live in Sechelt, which is right by Gibsons if you don't know where it is.

Lately we have been seeing about 4 wolves around, and our dog was even attacked and almost killed. He has just recovered. He has cuts in his throat, legs and butt.

Any idea why these wolves are moving south? Construction? Pollution? Global Warming?

Thanks for any input.

Monashee
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Logging opens the forest canopy for young trees, shrubs and plants to grow which deer like to eat then after about 15 years the area starts to fill in with conifer trees and deer numbers start decreasing. So my guess is that the wolves are moving south because that is where the deer are.

Wolves are opportunistic they will take what is available whether it is a prime buck or a weak fawn. Your dog was attacked probably because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time , likely more as a canine competitor rather than for food .

Gateholio
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Wolf populations are growing all over..We arent' too far from you , and they are EVERYWHERE here...

scottgreen
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Logging opens the forest canopy for young trees, shrubs and plants to grow which deer like to eat then after about 15 years the area starts to fill in with conifer trees and deer numbers start decreasing. So my guess is that the wolves are moving south because that is where the deer are.

Wolves are opportunistic they will take what is available whether it is a prime buck or a weak fawn. Your dog was attacked probably because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time , likely more as a canine competitor rather than for food .

Alright...Although, we have like nothing for deer around here, absolutley TERRIBLE hunting...:(

I suppose they could simply be looking though.

Wolfman
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
I saw a Wolf in the mirror just this morning ;-)

Wolfman

Mauser98
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Alright...Although, we have like nothing for deer around here, absolutley TERRIBLE hunting...:(

I suppose they could simply be looking though.

You're right, deer hunting here is terrible.

BUT, we have a very healthy and expanding elk population.

Monashee
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Mauser98 - Were those elk transplanted from Vancouver Island ? Do you know how many and when and where ? Elk calves are being born right about now so hopefully the wolves miss some of them.

I understand there were elk in the lower mainland area of BC into the 1800's but they died out , supposedly from natural causes according to one source.

Mauser98
05-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Mauser98 - Were those elk transplanted from Vancouver Island ? Do you know how many and when and where ? Elk calves are being born right about now so hopefully the wolves miss some of them.

I understand there were elk in the lower mainland area of BC into the 1800's but they died out , supposedly from natural causes according to one source.

The elk were introduced from the Courtney/Comox area to the Sechelt Peninsula around 1987-89. They were dropped off in the Pender Harbor area and have since spread to all parts of the Peninsula and south to Gibsons.

There has been extensive trapping for transplanting to other areas. These include Powell River, various drainages in Jervis Inlet, Narrows Inlet, Clowhom River(head of Salmon Inlet), McNabb Creek, Port Mellon(Rainy River), Upper Pitt River, Upper Stave River, Toba Inlet and the Squamish River drainage.

Apparently there is a plan to start trapping some elk from the Powell River area for movement to Butte Inlet.

scottgreen
05-29-2008, 09:48 PM
You're right, deer hunting here is terrible.

BUT, we have a very healthy and expanding elk population.

:O another Sechelt guy lol.

Yeah, I know all about the elk population. I live in West Sechelt where all the development is. My family owns 20-someodd acres in the corner of it...And we get TONS of elk.

Thats a good point.

BigBanger
05-30-2008, 12:43 AM
We have a cabin in Sandy Hook . Ive hunted both sides of the inlet . Ive seen lots of elk and bears . Bear hunting this spring Im seeing more deer the ever before . Im going up again this weekend looking for "my bear".

hunter1947
05-30-2008, 03:32 AM
I saw a wolf on my when I was delivering my papers about a month ago ,it run across the road in front of me. It was all black and a very good size one at that.

shotgunjohn
05-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Wolves are opportunistic and will move in to any available territory. In the past they were shot and trapped aggressively , not so much any more. I have seen them on off shore Islands up the coast that you wouldn't think were big enough to support a deer much less a pack of wolves. As for your dog he's very lucky as our neighbours had a large dog killed and completely eaten a couple of years ago.