PDA

View Full Version : The Real Hbc Hunting Champ!!!

BiG Boar
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
This is a no BS question. How many hours of legal hunting light, are you in the bush, on a mountain, or in a stand, with a gun in hand, or on a pack, or quad, or truck, per year average. If you drive for a living and have a gun in your truck just incase you see something, that doesnt count. I dont want to hear how many days you sit at camp and hunt the last hour of daylight...that would be 1 hour of hunting. Lets go with your average. I am new to hunting. Two years ago I shot my doe LEH in the first half hour of sun up. This year for bears I am at 58 hours. But..... there is a lot of hunting left to do. Just trying to see who here is THE REAL HBC HUNTING CHAMP
Dave

(time hunting doesnt mean youre the best hunter, in some cases, maybe youre actually the worst;-))

Mr. Dean
05-29-2008, 10:51 AM
It isn't me...

While I dedicate ALL my time off to the collection of critters, I'm still forced with the fact that I live's in the city. My time afield is limited to 6 weeks/year. 4 for hunting and 2 for fishing.

When I am out, all my time is spent toting a rifle and reading the land. Not only for what I'm seeking at the moment, but whats been happening recently, and trying to forecast whats goin to happen next.

I'll usually take 2 or 3 hours off, come mid day. This is when I eat my main meal, grab a nap and reflect on the information I gathered along the way.

I envy the fella's that are able to do this on a daily basis because of their proximity to critter infested areas....

Gateholio
05-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Not sure of hours, but I'd say I spend on an average one day a week hunting or in unting related activities... So I'd say about 52 days per year. Maybe a bit more if you count scouting while fishing:tongue:

I'm always looking while driving, and this year I have spent about 10 days predator hunting , and about 15 days bear hunting. Still havent' shot a bear! :)

elkdom
05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
not wanting to appear nutso or to sound braggin, but i spend at least,90 days a year directly in hunting activities,this doesn't include work or fishing trips,waco? maybe? for confirmation just ask my wife (whats er name) and my banker whom is on my blocked list on my cell phone! lmao but I love it! its my passion! and when Im dead and gone,I WILL HAVE HUNTED!

Shade Tree
05-29-2008, 12:19 PM
The year before I met my wife, I was away hunting or fishing 50 out of 52 weekends; as well 5 full weeks of backpacking or out of province hunting.
Now that I have two little kids I do not take for granted my limited time in the mountains. I do however have four fly-in backpack trips planned for this year so I am not complaining.

srupp
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
hmmm on the risk of beeing "boo'd...no one would believe me BOTH in map work ...phone work...networking...e-mail...computer...and scouting....

THEN field work...I ALREADY have over 25 days in just for scouting for grizzlies and snow levels and road access..and flying and hunting..and thats JUST bears..hmm then sheeeeeeeeeeeep....moose, deer,

Already planning next years hunt in Germany..this years Alberta trip for whities and mulies...

So its a lot....x 30 plus years.....

Steven

Wildman
05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I got out 10 days hunting last year (probably 80 hours) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14898. I was too busy to get out any more besides when I was at work. This coming season I will have even less time as my wife took a full time position at her work and she has to work Saturday's now. I'm guessing I will only get out four or five days this coming season as we have a 1.5 year old that I need to care for on Saturdays. I have however put in for a Moose draw this year after a 1yr hiatus. If I get that I will probably only get out a few days locally and spend 10 days on a trip.

todbartell
05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
probably 300 hours per year, working 5 days a week sucks! :)

Jelvis
05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Last season I got out the lowest I ever did. One day I went out at light in the morning with a buddy on nov 2 in the Nor river and walked til I got a nice four point on the run with my .30-06 Husqvarna, with a four power B+L scope, 165 gr. pointed soft -points at 277 yards. I got tip-off mounts by Weaver too.
Other than that I went out two half days with another buddy in a car and saw cow moose and dozens of mule deer up in the Ingram Creek area.
When I don't get out too much, hunting I'm working out in the local gym everyday, so thats my relief from boredom.
This year will be different, cause I want to get out at least ten times for meat buck, trophy buck and a spike/fork bullwinkle, so lead, follow or get the ---- outta the way.
Jel givin ya the full ten yards.

moosinaround
05-29-2008, 01:59 PM
I will hunt at least once a week from Sept 1 till Nov 31, two of those weeks in that time span will be all weekers. I hunt from sun up till sun down, usually taking a break in the early afternoon for a nap and a snack. My wife is very understanding, as my son is usually with me during these times too. Try to take the wife on the all weekers, gets lonely out there!! I have in the last two years gone out for black bears in the spring, so I can add 2-3 more days onto that, thanks to HBCers for that!! Never used to hunt blackies! I get out camping at least every long weekend, and we usually get some fishing in then too. Love the woods boys!!! Moosin

Phil
05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I have never taken an exact count but I'd estimate about 80-90hrs since April 1st already. Last year I would estimate a total of 400-450hrs total, maybe more.

Kody94
05-29-2008, 04:12 PM
There were a lot of years (pretty much the entire decade of the '90s)that I would hunt at least 3 or 4 out of 5 days/wk afterwork and then load up my pack and head out for the whole weekend. And add in to that a couple of weeks of straight backpack hunting. I don't know what the days or hours would be on an annual basis, but it was a lot.

Since 2002 though, work has made an unacceptable dent in that production rate. The last few years I have probably only gotten out for 15 to 20 days per year of actual hunting. Something I have to work on, cuz I know when the time comes that I can't do it anymore, I sure as heck won't be wishing I'd put in more hours at work!

Cheers,
4Ster

Gateholio
05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
. Something I have to work on, cuz I know when the time comes that I can't do it anymore, I sure as heck won't be wishing I'd put in more hours at work!

Cheers,
4Ster

Lying on thier deathbed, nobody has ever said "I wish I could have worked one more day"

:-P

Sitkaspruce
05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I got out 10 days hunting last year (probably 80 hours) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14898. I was too busy to get out any more besides when I was at work. This coming season I will have even less time as my wife took a full time position at her work and she has to work Saturday's now. I'm guessing I will only get out four or five days this coming season as we have a 1.5 year old that I need to care for on Saturdays. I have however put in for a Moose draw this year after a 1yr hiatus. If I get that I will probably only get out a few days locally and spend 10 days on a trip.

Take the little one with you. What a great way to spend the day with your kids. And there is nothing wrong with road hunting with your family:wink:

For me, it is too much according to the other half:shock::confused:, but on average it is between 20 -25 solid 8-9 hour days. This year it will be down a bit as we are probably going to build a house, so there goes my three weeks of guiding and at least one week of hunting. I can live with that......for this year.

SS

Gateholio
05-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Something springs to mind here...

More days in the field generally = more game bagged. But I sure know alot of guys that go hunting for only a few days per year, and come back with a moose or deer...and lots of guys that pound it hard, with little to show for it.

Time out is more knowledge, but properly applied knowledge trumps everything!:-D

hunter1947
05-30-2008, 03:27 AM
This is from last years hunting ,not this year. I spent two months last year hunting for elk and moose last year when I retired. Then I spent lots of weekends hunting for deer hear on the island. It took me a while to figure out roughly how many hours I spent with my gun. I came up with a rough figure of around 530 hours.

sneg
05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
just over 200 hrs of active hunting in the bush and marsh,incl. waterfowl.

BiG Boar
05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
TIME in the field doesnt necesarily mean more game bagged...experience is obviously the real key. Once you know what to do you can cut a lot of the time out of your learning to hunt. I learned that this year (dont look for black bears near the snow line, not much grass up there). What I wanted to learn from this thread is when someone on this site says something, what kind of weight do they have to put behind the words they are saying. (you may as well ignore anything advice I give btw) Anyone can go out and bag a meat doe on LEH and they could have been doing that for the last 10 years. Hunting is defined as the PURSUIT and killing or capture of wild animals regarded as a sport. So knowing how much time a person is out there, and for how many years, is what really makes a great hunter, and therefore how much attention we young bucks should pay to your .02 and your IMHO. IMHO

Kody94
05-30-2008, 07:34 AM

More days in the field generally = more game bagged. But I sure know alot of guys that go hunting for only a few days per year, and come back with a moose or deer...and lots of guys that pound it hard, with little to show for it.

Time out is more knowledge, but properly applied knowledge trumps everything!:-D

Some people define success as amount of game bagged. Some people define success as amount of time spent in the field (eg. me!). Others define it differently.

When I have the time available, I am necessarily a very selective hunter as I have a small freezer and the more time I can spend in the field the better! :D

Lately though, its been more about quick meat. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

moosinaround
05-30-2008, 08:01 AM

I totally agree with you. Our elk hunt last year was scouting hard and making the most out of the info we collected, and we conected on the last day! Moosin

Paulyman
05-30-2008, 08:14 AM
I spend about 140 hours a year actually hunting, not including bedtime or camp time.not nearly enough hunting for me :(

Gateholio
05-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Some people define success as amount of game bagged. Some people define success as amount of time spent in the field (eg. me!). Others define it differently.

When I have the time available, I am necessarily a very selective hunter as I have a small freezer and the more time I can spend in the field the better! :D

Lately though, its been more about quick meat. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Yup, very true!

I've passed up more bears than I can count this year, mostly because dealing wiht a dead bear woudl spoil the day:wink:

browningboy
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Hands down I am the HBC Champ!8)

Might as well close this thread now.

Kechika
05-30-2008, 05:29 PM
My best season was a few years ago. 18 days for sheep,10 days for Elk,10 days for Mulies and a week for Grizzly..this didnt include weekend trips.I miss those times:(I hate being responsible

dana
05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
For me, hunting is a lifestyle. I live, work and play in the bush. It is a year long passion. Really it is easier for me to figure out how much time I didn't spend in the bush than how much time I did. Whenever I am in the bush, I am always paying attention to what I am seeing, be it wildlife, tracks, rubs, sheds, scat, you name it. Everything gets put away upstairs to be used at a later time. I am always scouting.

blackbart
05-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Like many other's I have to say that as of late the total hour talley afield has decreased. One of the very few negative aspects of having a young family and a career.

Last season would be around 300 hours of walking and packing a firearm of one sort or another. Five day backpack trip for alpine bucks, six day wall tent camp for moose and eight day mule deer rut hunt. Add on several day trips for big game, a couple of 1/2 hikes (with grandpa and 4 year old) for blue grouse and throw in a smattering of waterfowl shoots.

Never mind the endless hours of pouring over maps, conducting research and planning future trips. The positive of the "at home" portion is that the kiddies can help.

I do find that a "well planned" hunt is more satisfying to me now than the historic sixty plus days afield were fifteen years ago. Something about wisdom overtaking youth and energy?

All in all '07 was a success in my mind. After all, another board member encouraged me to shoot my first ever coyote dog - not very good table fare, if you were wondering!

Paulyman
05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
I'd like to thank the HBC community for voting me "The Hunting Champ". It is truly an honour to hold such a title and i promise to make you all proud to call me the true hunting champion.

OOPS! my mistake,i have been voted "the true Hunting Chump" Not nearly as glamorous of a title

:(

Gateholio
05-31-2008, 12:39 AM
My best season was a few years ago. 18 days for sheep,10 days for Elk,10 days for Mulies and a week for Grizzly..this didnt include weekend trips.I miss those times:(I hate being responsible

You are now married to a hot babe. Yo will never enjoy these freedoms again. IN short, you suck.

Kechika
05-31-2008, 07:11 AM
You are now married to a hot babe. Yo will never enjoy these freedoms again. IN short, you suck.

Thanks....I think im going to go hang myself:cry:

Lil Buck
05-31-2008, 10:04 AM
See up what gatehouse said....^^^^^^^^

Wait till you have kids .and so on....

It isnt that bad I still go hunting ..lol

But what do I know

LB:roll:

Elkhound
06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
When I was on the coast I hunted spring bear min 5 days a week every evening after work and all day till dark on weekends. The whole spring.

Fall....deer hunting was again 5 days a week. In the morning at first light before work....then come home and go to work. After work I would head out until after dark.

Thats what I miss about the old place. Now I am in the lower mainland and I am just lucky to get out when I can.

daycort
06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
For me, hunting is a lifestyle. I live, work and play in the bush. It is a year long passion. Really it is easier for me to figure out how much time I didn't spend in the bush than how much time I did. Whenever I am in the bush, I am always paying attention to what I am seeing, be it wildlife, tracks, rubs, sheds, scat, you name it. Everything gets put away upstairs to be used at a later time. I am always scouting.

What he said ^^^^. Not so much as in the past due to 3 kids in 4 years, but because of my work location I can get about 2 to 3 hrs a day of good scouting in, for about half the month. When I am home I take the 2 oldest kids and we scout for mule deer on friends land. My oldest daughter knows the difference between a good one and a "d&nk". I let it slip once when she asked me how big one deer was last year.

Wildman
06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Take the little one with you. What a great way to spend the day with your kids. And there is nothing wrong with road hunting with your family:wink:
SS

I suggested I take the little one....That did not go over well.