PDA

View Full Version : Canim lake bucks VS Midway bucks

Huey
05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I've got two spots that I need to make a decision on this fall.... go east to midway for wt's or north east to canim lake area for mulies... I hear 100 mile can be a gong show at times...

Never hunted in BC before (Alberta born and bred), just getting back into hunting after taking a sabbatical since I was 17ish (11 yrs ago).

Any suggestions/pm's would be great!!

Or any oldtimers wanna take me under their wing and teach me their BC tricks....:oops: Little embarrassed to ask, but mama always said 'asking never killed anyone'... well anyone that we know of at least....

boatdoc
05-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Do both, be good to yourself.

Jelvis
05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I'd try Midway excellent beautiful country with an impeccable huntin hiustory for deer. Canim Lake area good for mule deer hunting heck what a predicament to be in. Good luck young hunter. Jel-Midway on my mind.

thatskindafunny
05-28-2008, 08:25 AM
5 02 had more hunters than any other area last year.

mark
05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I grew up in the 100 mile house area, Canim lake is not the greatest area for a deer hunt. Midway on the other hand is infested with deer!

palmer
05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
If you do the Midway thing in OCT I can give you some Elk spots to go along with deer....and there are lots of MULE DEER in midway

~T-BONE~
05-28-2008, 06:28 PM
My vote is with midway too, put some time in and find the sweet spots, descent numbers. Heres one a little south east enjoy!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_00014.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8754&ppuser=1677)

frenchbar
05-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Thats a beauty T-BONE!!!

Orangethunder
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Canim/100 Mile can be kinda hectic when the moose draws open. Lots of deer still but the buck to doe ratio is low, hence the 1 buck limit this year in 5.

Never hunted midway but I hear it can be alright.

Williams Lake isnt a bad spot either.

Good luck!

Jelvis
05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Canim Lake is in MU 5-1 Canim Lake - Bridge Lake
Access
From
Hwy 97 from 70 Mile via the Green Lake road; Hwy 24 through Lone Butte; the Eightythree road and, from 100 Mile House, the Canim Lake system of roads.
Deer Hunting chances for Rocky Mountain Mule Deer in MU 5-1 is fair hunting no doubt, best mule deer in the southeast section of 5-1. Fair moose and deer in the rest of 5-1
The southeast section would include;
Go north from ROE Lake to south end of BOWERS Lake
Go north from ROE Lake for 8 km then turn west to Deka C
That is the better mule deer habitat in MU 5-1

Midway is in Mu 8-14
The Roderick-Dhu-Jewel Lake road holds recognition of having the bestest mule deer hunting good Luck-leh-Jel
Looky would be proud.

dirtybucker
05-30-2008, 08:53 AM
midway all the way!!

sparkymacker
05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
My observation is the most of the land in close proximity to Midway is private and posted.

Flingin' Sticks
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Hunting Mulies in 5-1 can be a little bit tough at times. I've seen some good bucks in there, but deer in general can be a little far between in that zone. Moose on the other hand....

If you do decide on the 100 Mile area, zone 5-2A and 5-2B are probably the better options for deer. 2A has more private land, but there are lots of deer there.

newhunterette
06-23-2008, 01:23 PM
I've got two spots that I need to make a decision on this fall.... go east to midway for wt's or north east to canim lake area for mulies... I hear 100 mile can be a gong show at times...

Never hunted in BC before (Alberta born and bred), just getting back into hunting after taking a sabbatical since I was 17ish (11 yrs ago).

Any suggestions/pm's would be great!!

Or any oldtimers wanna take me under their wing and teach me their BC tricks....:oops: Little embarrassed to ask, but mama always said 'asking never killed anyone'... well anyone that we know of at least....

Scott - jeepers Peter had to teach ya how to catch a salmon and you broke our boat and now u want what??? hehehehehe umm let me see ummmm Midway yeah go the Midway route nothing good comes out of Canim Lake hehehehe yeah that's it - lol

Tell Dorothy to get her CORE - then you can hunt with Peter and I can hunt with Dorothy :)

Hugs to all of ya especially that sweet baby boy :)

Alison

MOWITCH SLAYER
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Never hunted midway but i have put some time in at Canim lake. Shot some real nice moose , but in all the years i have only taken one mulie buck in that area. I'd think midway if it's a mulie you want.
GOOD LUCK

Bigbear
06-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Out Horsefly/BlackCreek way Is good as well. There is also some pretty nice White Tails Between Horsefly and Black Creek turnoff.

hunter1947
06-24-2008, 04:36 AM
I have to agree with others on midway for whitetail ,lots of deer around and not far to drive ,go for it.

Huey
06-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Scott - jeepers Peter had to teach ya how to catch a salmon and you broke our boat and now u want what??? hehehehehe umm let me see ummmm Midway yeah go the Midway route nothing good comes out of Canim Lake hehehehe yeah that's it - lol

Tell Dorothy to get her CORE - then you can hunt with Peter and I can hunt with Dorothy :)

Hugs to all of ya especially that sweet baby boy :)

Alison

Dorothy get her CORE! Yeah right!!

That's like trying to convince her to buy me my favorite Abu Garcia reel!!! Like that would ever happen!! Hey wait a minute...... :tongue: I guess there is always a chance....

You need to start working on her, cuz what I'm trying sure ain't working!

newhunterette
06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Dorothy get her CORE! Yeah right!!

That's like trying to convince her to buy me my favorite Abu Garcia reel!!! Like that would ever happen!! Hey wait a minute...... :tongue: I guess there is always a chance....

You need to start working on her, cuz what I'm trying sure ain't working!

We will just have to have you and Dorothy come over soon and she can see some of the pics of Azshia and I hunting - we should also try and plan time for you guys to joins us at the cabin - that alone should be enough to convince to get her CORE and join the ranks - plus now with the new boat we can actually fit all of us in without dragging the prop lol

we can go do some target shooting also and she can try my little rifle and see it aint so scary

after all she did start liking fishing

FullDraw
06-28-2008, 12:01 AM
I hunted Canim 2 years ago for a week, it's super thick bush. I would look some where else myself.

F/D