PDA

View Full Version : Moose Trip??Anyone...

Angel
05-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I am looking for a new adventure and great experience. My fiance and I are looking to make a trip some wear north somewhere between august 15-sept-3 for moose. we have not yet gone for moose together and our freezer has no moose from years past:-(.. A lot of friends are telling us to head to PG. We were hoping to be able to drive to where ever in under 10 hours. we are also hoping to have a quad for the trip. If anyone has any advice or suggestions on where to go please let me know. Also if anyone is looking for a fun trip let us know as well, its always fun to make new hunting partners. We were hoping to spend about 3-5 days in the bush. Thanks for any help that you can give.;-)

moosinaround
05-25-2008, 09:18 PM
General open season for moose opens sept 10 around PG. Go north into 7B for early season moose. August 15-31, any bull. Pretty warm this time of year so be prepared for quick meat retrieval. Moosin

TimberPig
05-25-2008, 09:33 PM
The dates you wish to hunt leaves you with only 7B as mentioned, or some of the more northern MU's in region 6 with moose seasons open at that time.

Your 10 hours or less driving leaves you well short of reaching these MU's. From Langley, PG is going to be pretty close to your 10 hours.

Either plan your moose hunt for later in the season when more areas are open (to keep your drive time down), or plan to be driving for over 10 hours to reach your early season spot.

todbartell
05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
most likely at least 15 hours, as Chetwynd is about 5 hrs from PG I think

pmj
05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I was going to say , have you checked the Regulations for the dates you want to hunt?

moosinaround
05-25-2008, 11:17 PM
11.5 hours to chetwynd from the lower mainland, only stopping for carbon withdraws. Lots of hunters go for the early moose hunt up north, so I'm sure you will get some good response from guys on here in the next week. Moosin

hunter1947
05-26-2008, 04:49 AM
If it were me I would be heading up to the 7-35 region ,you don't get moose hunting any better then in that region ,good luck.

Blainer
05-26-2008, 06:50 AM
I hunt northern B.C (Ft. St. John) for moose almost every year.Usually have one on the ground on opening day.8 hours from here to P.G.,and about 6 more to go.Biggest concern is weather,usually very hot and the meat is the issue,I have processing done up north and bring home cut,wrapped and frozen.But if it rains,there is no getting in the bush,gumbo like you have never see.I could probably point you in the right direction.

tinhorse
05-26-2008, 08:27 AM
I just moved south from Fort Nelson, Yes it is way up in the North East corner of BC but has great early moose hunting. I got my moose all three years I was up there within 2 days of the opening on the 15th and that was just because I could only get out on the 2nd day one year. It takes just over 15 hours from Langley if you drive straight through. there are some good butchers up there that will cool, cut and freeze your meat for you so you can get it back home in good condition.

Vansmasher
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
You defenitely have to be prepared for the grease like clay (around Chetwynd anyway - when it rains)....ie, truck tire chains. You also need to be quick getting your meat out of the bush during the early season.

silvicon
05-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Angel,
you are a dreamer.
what do you want ouside the lower mainland?
you will be a fish out of the water.
i dare wager that you will not get a moose
(sans buying it of Canada's finest)!
as for finding a 'hunting buddy':
guiding without a popper lizense is illegal and all persons involved WILL be charged!

The Dawg
05-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Angel,
you are a dreamer.
guiding without a popper lizense is illegal and all persons involved WILL be charged!

Touchy subject or something?

mark
05-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Angel,
you are a dreamer.

Silvicon... this is the stupidest reply to a thread Ive seen in a while! Care to explain????

betteroffishing
05-26-2008, 05:33 PM
someone took there crazy pills this morning i see. wow

eric
05-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Silvicon.....WTF

Did you not read their post????

moosinaround
05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Angel,
you are a dreamer.
Holy Crapper!! Silvicon Dude!! Way to pop a Newbies Cherry!! That reply is almost bordering on freakin ignorant!! Hope you are joking, and know Angel or something otherwise Keep crap like that to yourself! A pissed moosin!

boatdoc
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey Angel the guys on here are giving you great advice on going up north.
Don't let anyone piss on your parade ,go north and i hope you shoot a monster moose!

daycort
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Angel,

Moose hunting has not been as good last year as it has been up here in 7b in the past due to a bad winter and ticks in 07. But they are still here and hitting the bush hard should prove some good results. MU 7-35 was one of the harder units hit in 07, but I heard that the farther north you go the better the population is.

Elkhound
05-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Slivicon...those kind of remarks are not warranted. Angel. Hope you find the help you are looking for

hunter1947
05-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Go up north shoot your moose ,get it skinned out right away ,get it to a cooler right away. If you can't find a cooler to hang it ,drive all night till you get home were you can put the moose into a cooler.

M.Dean
05-27-2008, 05:34 AM
I think i'd put in a moose LEH for region 3 or 5 and see what happens, if nothing i'd head to the Pink Mnt. area. I'd leave on August 14th and camp on the 120 or the 135 or the 171 road, put some time in and any bull may be yours! Nice country, great people and lots of moose. Good luck!

Jimbo
05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Always fun to try new places and meet new people. Cutting your expenses never hurts either.
If I was planning on a trip with someone I didn't know, I would definately arrange a "get to know you " camping trip for a weekend. There's Nothing worse than a huntin trip gone wrong.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
10 hours from Langley to PG is the pace of a real weak bladder ...or a menace to society cause they drive too slow .... Bartell, Chetwynd is 3 hours from PG .. FSJ is about 5 ..Lots of Moose came outta 7-15 last year as i am sure alot more will come out again this year

Freshtracks
05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Angel,

You're saying that ... "if anyone on HBC were to accompany Angel and her hubby on a moose hunt ... is illegal guiding?" :rolleyes::lol::lol:

I'll wager $100 ... Angel will dine on moose this fall.

I'll await your pleasant reply.

Angel
05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey thanks guys for all the help and great replies, i really appreciate it.:-D

M.Dean- I was up around pink mountain about 7 years ago with family and we had good luck with moose, but its been awhile so i havent heard how the population is? Thanks for the tips.

Has anyone been for LEH around 100 mile for moose in the last few years, how was it?

Silvicon- thanks for the motivation, ill be sure to send some sweaty moose nuts your way:wink:.

Thanks again guys, there are some very knowledgable hunters here!