PDA

View Full Version : Had fun but no bear down

rishu_pepper
05-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Met up with Lloyd (bsa30-06) bright and early in the morning and headed up to Lytton. We got there about 9:30, and a couple hours in we spotted a very good sized blackie. I'm no expert but I'd say he was pushing 6', but it had a ton of mass. Looking from top down at less than 100 yards away, he was feeding on a nice piece of lawn, but a gosh-darn tree just wouldn't allow us to take the shot without risk of ricochet. As we held our fire, it started to walk away from us, and my buddy only had a THS so obviously kept the trigger in check. We tried to track it down but to no avail...

Another hour or 2 afterwards, across from another hill we saw a brownie. It wasn't the largest bear (5' perhaps?), but it had an amazingly beautiful brown coat, and a very light beige muzzle that was unlike any bear I've seen. As a direct shot was 350-400 yards away, we drove downhill and tried to catch him stalking back up hill on another side. Unfortunately, as we caught sight of it again, it began to mosey away into the thick stuff and was never seen again... would've been a rug candidate for sure.

Driving back onto the local roads we saw another brownie, this time much smaller but was taunting us on the side of the road with his "immunity". The last bear we saw was a plain Jane blackie, quite the young 'un, and I said unto Lloyd, "Beggars can't be choosers", but as I got out of the truck, it already vanished...

We had a lot of fun up there though, so it was not all for naught. Saw a couple bucks too!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC02434.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC02435.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC02436.jpg

As you can see, even the buck was mooning us lol. Nice sets of velvet, and their sizes were pretty fair.

Oh and we saw a coyote on the median of #1 near the Surrey exit..!? :eek:

rishu_pepper
05-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Close-up of said buck:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC02436-1.jpg

Left side buck:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC02435-1.jpg

bsa30-06
05-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Yep the brownie was amazing.Light tan muzzle , chocolate brown body,legs were boardering on black, and almost blonde around its belly.Would have made an amazing rug.Rishu dont feel bad i knew that was a damn near impossible stalk before we even went in, we gave it a shot came up empty thats hunting.

Blainer
05-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Hard luck.
Starting to sound like a "RISHU CURSE".
I guess all that matters is that you had fun.
I imagine Lloyd will probably bump into you next week,sitting on the fringe of where you seen that big bruin.
Better luck next time.

oddsix
05-24-2008, 09:00 PM
oh well, to bad nothing was downed. but sounds like a good time was had.

rishu_pepper
05-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Yep the brownie was amazing.Light tan muzzle , chocolate brown body,legs were boardering on black, and almost blonde around its belly.Would have made an amazing rug.Rishu dont feel bad i knew that was a damn near impossible stalk before we even went in, we gave it a shot came up empty thats hunting.

Meh, that's hunting alright. I don't feel bad, we'll get him next time out :biggrin:

On the ride home, Alan was remarking how he would've taken the shot if the rangefinder didn't crap out on him (he's a damn good shot and so is the gun, and I believe it would've been a dead bear if he shot it, there was ample time). :roll:

Hard luck.
Starting to sound like a "RISHU CURSE".
I guess all that matters is that you had fun.
I imagine Lloyd will probably bump into you next week,sitting on the fringe of where you seen that big bruin.
Better luck next time.

I don't believe in superstitions ;-) Besides I kill tons of clays, so that should count for something :lol:

I meant ducks haha.

oh well, to bad nothing was downed. but sounds like a good time was had.

Yup, that's what it's all about eh, getting to know new friends and having a good time.

LeverActionJunkie
05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a good day to me Rishu. I would definately trade you in a heart beat as I have been stuck in Edmonton working and haven't been out after bears yet, nor gophers or clays for that matter.

Steeleco
05-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Sounds like your day was the same as mine. Lots of mulies, a couple of button bucks, 2 white tails and 1 cinnamon bear that yours truly MISSED!!!
DAMN those new rifles LOL Nice pictures PR, I never even got my camera out of the bag. Had a fun day playing with the new GPS unit though

Still better than a good day to work!!!

hunter1947
05-25-2008, 04:07 AM
It is nice to get out and look over the countryside and see what you saw and you posted up some real nice pic as well. looks like that one mule deer is going to have a nice set of antlers when it comes hunting season.

rishu_pepper
05-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Hehe, you guys are right, any day out in the countryside is better than work.

Maybe the nerves got to ya eh Steeleco? Oh well, at least you got a shot off, we never even had that chance! What gun were you shooting there?

We booked an appointment with those 2 bucks for October to come back and pick 'em out! :biggrin:

Steeleco
05-25-2008, 08:54 AM
No nerves RP, I just goofed up, but better a clean miss than the alternative.
I was packing my new 444, off to the range for some more practice!!!

bsa30-06
05-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Sounds like your day was the same as mine. Lots of mulies, a couple of button bucks, 2 white tails and 1 cinnamon bear that yours truly MISSED!!!
DAMN those new rifles LOL Nice pictures PR, I never even got my camera out of the bag. Had a fun day playing with the new GPS unit though

Still better than a good day to work!!!

Sounds like those bears weren't co-operating all around yesterday.Oh well still a better day in the bush then stayin home and mowing the lawn.:lol: Better luck next time.

bsa30-06
05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
It is nice to get out and look over the countryside and see what you saw and you posted up some real nice pic as well. looks like that one mule deer is going to have a nice set of antlers when it comes hunting season.

I think your right wayne, that one muley should be decent come october.

On a side note i've noticed a lot of HBC members getting together to go hunting lately, and some more experienced guys taking out other members, hats off to all those guys who have got together thru the site and made new friends and partners, and helped out other folks who might not have gotten the chance to get out.

Elkhound
05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
You saw bucks.:eek:

Are you sure you were with Lloyd?

:tongue::biggrin:

bsa30-06
05-25-2008, 03:05 PM
You saw bucks.:eek:

Are you sure you were with Lloyd?

:tongue::biggrin:

Thats very funny wise guy.HAHAHAHA:lol: We even have photographic evidence to prove it , cause i knew nobody would believe us.lol

rishu_pepper
05-25-2008, 05:23 PM
No nerves RP, I just goofed up, but better a clean miss than the alternative.
I was packing my new 444, off to the range for some more practice!!!

444 eh? Must pack a lot of punch in that cartridge! You're right, clean miss >>> wounded/un-recovered bear.

Thats very funny wise guy.HAHAHAHA:lol: We even have photographic evidence to prove it , cause i knew nobody would believe us.lol

Hahahaha that's exactly it! And no Elkhound, we didn't take these pics at the local zoo. :-P Lloyd has another incredulous story regarding a certain animal sighting in Harrison, but I'll leave that one alone, lest the can o' worms come out. ;)