PDA

View Full Version : Back from the grizz hunt

full curl
05-22-2008, 10:00 PM
my hunting partner and i are back from our grizz hunt we spent a total of 18 days glassin glassin and just when you could not handle it any more did some more glassin. we only saw 5 or 6 different G-Bears. i passed on two and then on day 17 began to wonder if i should have taken the first bear we saw as he was the largest. as i sat with 2.5 hours of light left on my last day preparing mentally for an unsuccesful hunt my partner kev (aka Eagles Nest) climbs this massive tree my rough calculation was about 70 feet up. well he climbs into this abandond eagles nest, as i am planning where the medivac helo can land to pick him up, i start making my way down the river when i hear a whistle, i turn around to see Eagles Nest (who will now be refered to as E.N. for the rest of story)franticly motioning with a series of hand signals that i decifered as holy #$%#$% a G-Bear and a good one. so down the tree he comes and i meet him at the bottom. he tells me the bear is on the other side of the river as we ponder a few different scenarios with time tickin away i decide i cannot swim across the freezing fast flowin river thats probably 60 or 70 yards across, so i give my binoculars and fleece to E.N. and i start running about 2 miles to where our raft is ,running 2 miles in chest waders on slipery mud is not as easy as it sounds. the only thing keeping me running is knowing if this doesnt work i want to know that i gave it every ounce of effort. so i get to the boat, fire up the motor, have a look at the sun getting lower and lower and i pin that little 15 horse johnson and away i go. 5 minutes up the motor quits, i start to wonder if the greater power is takin a dump on me here or what, three or four pulls and the mighty johnson is back in action up the river i go. I pick up E.N. and we fly up the river to the point where we could not run the motor anymore as we did not want to spook the bear. So into the water we go and line the raft up the opposite bank to a point we can row across undetected. we run into a sweeper that we cannot get around so we decide to creep along the bank ,crawl through a tangle of blow down on our hands and knees, and emerge on the edge of the open green patch where the bear was last seen. we climb part way up this bluff to get a little bit of elevation to locate the bear. we spot him approx 200 yards as a scramble to find a rest by the time i get get set the bear has now dissapeared, neither of us can seem to see him. with us losing light fast we decide to stalk him into the clearing we cross a slough that is to the top of my chest waders and over E.N.'s waders, we creep up the bank on full alert as we are not sure which way this bear went and we have to climb through a strip of tangled trees which he could be right on the other side of, as we move through E.N. spots him i move into position , get a rock solid rest, settle in on him wait for him to turn broadside BOOM the 338 with 250gr np hammers him in the shoulder and he goes down only to pop up do about 3 spins stop and look right in our direction, i settle the crosshairs on him again, he begins to turn broadside BOOM and down he goes. we watch for movementfor a few minutes then the creep up and check to make sure he has expired. and then its high 5's and fireball time.

thanks to srupp for the info
p.s. we have green scored it 24 13/16

todbartell
05-22-2008, 10:03 PM
beauty trophy! congrats and great job, you definitely earned that bear!

Rock Doctor
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Nice bear, Congrats.

RiverOtter
05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Awsome and congrats on a fine grizz.

RO

full curl
05-22-2008, 10:09 PM
sorry about the small pics, here are some bigger ones. Rooky internet geek.....

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/cheekyhorse/P1020173.jpg

mark
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Looks like the very same meadow that srupp's buddy bagged the biggun in last year! Awesome bear guys!

todbartell
that revs me up..8 more days and I am off for 5 full days of Grizz hunting :D congrats again on a great bear

full curl
another pic

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/cheekyhorse/P1020169.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/cheekyhorse/P1020162.jpg

rishu_pepper
05-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Simply amazing..! Congrats!

I guess so far this spring this is the bear (black or grizz) to beat on HBC, eh?
bartell, you got your work cut out for you :biggrin:

todbartell
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
hell if I catch a glimpse of a grizz I'll be considering it a successful hunt :D

killman
05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice bear guys, congrats!

Elkhound
05-22-2008, 10:20 PM
beauty bear

BCbillies
05-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Was waiting for this story to post - great hunt, great perserverance and a nice finish! Bear looks like a scrapper with a good melon.

We're back at it tomorrow. :-D

yama49
05-22-2008, 10:31 PM
awesome bear, great job....

Blainer
05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Choice looking bear!
All that time paid off.Fine Trophy.

MtnBoy
05-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, Mr. Rupp certainly made this a memorable hunt for us. Thankyou Steven.

This was the largest bear we saw as Full Curl passed up shooting this boar the previous week. Let me tell you it was even that much more special as it was literally the last 20 minutes of legal shooting light of the 17th day when this guy was harvested.

I was also able to get some great footage of this bear. I am proud of my buddy for not giving up right down to the wire. A rock solid hunt.

BCrams
05-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Super hunt and great story!! Perseverance payed off! Steven sure knows his grizzly stuff!

Now he only needs favours returned for a Stone's sheep ram for him!! He has selflessly helped many people all the time!!

BigBanger
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow you lived my dream . Great loking bear , way to go not giving up .

pmj
05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Congratulations Full Curl and Mtn Boy. http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/cheers.gif
Glad to hear you made it out safely. Incredible bear. Incredible hunt. Incredible perserverance. You guys rockhttp://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/rockOn.gif. Thanks for the great story. Thanks for the good pictures Mtn Boy.
Full Curl, let me know when I can buy you lunch.

srupp
05-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Wow the story is even better the second time..thanks Scott for posting the photos and story...I DID enjoy the eagle nest part...I can see SUMMIT tree stands putting out a EAGLE NEST MODEL..lol

These GENTLEMEN asked some very knowlegable questions...and listened politely even when I insisted on stuff they might think were the ramblings of a old lunitic, they did not skimp on gear or preperation and planned on success..the timing is always an unpredictable element with these emerging giants..
I must point out these are NOT rookie hunters but experineced wood wise outdoorsmen and hunters of the finest quality. I truly enjoyed meeting both guys and they persevered day after day eating fresh crab..and living in one of the prettiest places on earth..I also point out that they did not settle on average they went big or were prepared to go home..thats what it takes to get a BIG bear..not shooting the smaller ones...

I chuckled when Scott sent me the photos by e-mail and I noticed immediatly the perfect shoulder shot and smiled when Scott reaffirmed the wisdom of breaking down a shoulder or both to anchor the bear out in the daylight..perfect shot..
And Scott had the perfect partner in E.N :biggrin: who stayed the entire trip and was so instrumental in helping his buddy..speaks volumes about the choice of partners....well done MtnBoy...

I truly am humbled to be able to play a small part in these mens success and to be asked for my "opinion" ...so far this year is shaping up well of the 6 groups of grizzly hunters who have chatted together with myself 3 have successfully harvested their grizzlies with the 3 remaining groups headed up next week and last 2 weeks of season.

Well done guys you should be suitably proud of your wonderful acomplishment..both of you..

Steven

Steeleco
05-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Well done, that's some noggin!!! The rug sould be big enough to cover many a living room!!!

hunter1947
05-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Beauty of a bear ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

sneg
05-23-2008, 07:25 AM
congrats, great trophy

Jetboater
05-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Congrats Scott and Kevin, thats a sweet bear.......

TIKA 300
05-23-2008, 08:05 AM
HEY Scott,shouldnt you have been framing some where in the LOWER RAINLAND instead of hunting (im jealous :cry:) Just buggin,thanks for the story,and congrats on the bear. Terry K

AKA soon to put money down on boat ride in Fort Nelson 2009

Wild one
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Nice Grizz sounds like the hunt was a blast

whitetailsheds
05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Awesome bear, thanks for sharing the story and photos!!!!!

BlacktailStalker
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
What a ball dragger, congrats!

ursus
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Great photos! What are you going to do with a Bear that BIG? It's gorgeous you should be really proud of that one! Congrats!

Orangethunder
05-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Awesome bear guys! Congrats big time. The part about the eagle nest is sweet:shock:, way to go guys.

srupp
05-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I got up at 2 am and went and looked at the photos again..and in the first one you still see the "thousand yard stare " of the adrenaline STILL working in Scotts system..:eek:

The second is what makes it all worthwhile .... look at that boy grin:biggrin:

and the third is the stuff of nitemares is ya do it wrong..:shock:

Ya did it perfect Scott and Kevin....WELL DONE..

steven

PG_ELK
05-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Nice G-Bear Scott. Have you figured out what kind of mount you are going to get?

moosinaround
05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Beauty Grizz. Love those coastal bears! He has a cool mark on his forehead, Scar from scrapping? Congrats!! A jealous Moosin!

Fisher-Dude
05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
That's a keeper! Nice b'ar!

springpin
05-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Beauty Bear. Congrats.

Springpin.

Mr. Dean
05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I had faith AND predicted true.
That's a ROCK SOLID Grizz there gent's. Congrat's!

full curl
05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
pg elk i am going full mount on this one just have to decide on a position

and steven is right is is good to have a hunting partner that is as pasionate about putting a solid trophy on the ground as i am and to put in 18 days is well above and beyond and i would do the same for him when he gets his draw as we have been hunting together for years and have harvested many trophys together and sure to harvest many more

full curl
05-23-2008, 04:37 PM
anybody know how to get ahold of t-bone??? heard he has beetles if so i'd like to let them have a chew on the skull before it completely stinks up my garage.

thanx
scott

Krico
05-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Great Griz, great story, congrats big time!!!

mcrae
05-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Awesome bear and good for you for toughing it out I bet it makes it that much sweeter...

srupp
05-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Scott I tried to send a PM to T-BONE but he doesnt accept PMs..so I put a post on "the other site" maybe someone will see it and get T-bone in touch...

cheers

Steven

dana
05-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Great bear guys! Congrats Big Time!!!

Kody94
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Unbelievable bear. Congrats!!

Cheers,
4Ster

bushguy
05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Sweet Bear guys,,just out of curiousity,how much do you think he weighed?Love that story and those pics,well done.:cool:Just looked at the pics again,damn that things big!!

TIKA 300
05-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Just looked @ those pics again,and man alive thats a nice bear !!!!!

Have had the pleasure of talking to Scott a couple times,and if any of you have met em,and know how tall he is,it'll give you better perspective on the size of that bear.

Congrats again Scott,nice bear TK

2slow
05-23-2008, 06:56 PM
good story great bear congrats

LeverActionJunkie
05-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Ongratulations on an outstanding Grizz! Simply awesome.

BiG Boar
05-27-2008, 10:35 AM
wow that is an awsome bear! I have yet to even see a grizzly! Great job!

srupp
05-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Get an LEH DAVE and Ill help ya with your endevour..

Steven

srupp
05-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Another interesting "twist" to Scotts great bear is WHILE they were in there at K bay a group of 13 or so road builders were "SCHEDULED" to go in to rebuild the road where it slid in 2 places so heavy duty cats and equipment could go UP the valley and then work back down the valley " completely deactivating small bridges and culverts..it had been done but apparantly not good enough..

Well I get a message asking IF any hunters were in there of course I knew Scott and Kevin were indeed in there and all that equipment would screw up their hunt big time , completely and for the entire duration of the hunt...

I informed the GENTLEMAN that they were there and IF the construction could be put off to perhaps AFTER they leave..and he AGREED. Wonderful guy.. probably no comforting to the workers that some guys are in there with high powered rifles shooting at bears..stray shots ....wounded bears...cheerleaders carrying the beer...:roll: normal spring break..er spring hunting stuff..

So these guys provided a BIG break for Scott and deserve some recognition for delaying the work entirerly for Scotts hunting benifit...

I was amazed at the call..and the results...hmmm the guy said I was THE guy in the know about bears..sheesh..I ALSO know PIZZA ..whiskey..and beer...

Cheers

Steven

Gateholio
05-27-2008, 11:23 AM
They want to deavitvate that road more than it's already deactivated?:confused:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Missed this one after being away for the past week.

Huge congrats F/C, MtnBoy and Steve!!!
Great story and a gronk of a bear!!!!:cool:

SSS

Mik
05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Congrats, that is one huge Grizz. How old do you think the bear is? As I was told the older they get the straighter the claws become. Either way that looks like some great genes in that bear.

srupp
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
They want to deavitvate that road more than it's already deactivated?:confused:

Exactly what I asked and was told "yes" there are items up river that are not according to code or specs or whatever so they are re-building the rd to better destroy it???I think its more to do with preventing any more slides at culverts taht "might " impact the river and salmon spawning thats HUGE and is the only reason I can see for the time, effort and cost..

Anyway sure a nice guy..

SSS....ya a gronk for sure..would have loved to be in there and see IF I could have snooped out the couple 3 bears i am still looking for in there..but these are GREAT hunters with perserverence and skill and "eagle nesting abilities that "got er done..

Paul from Cariboo mts got their bear also last week so..now 4 for 6 with 2 more to report after they get done with their hunt..some great bears this spring..

Steven

BiG Boar
05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I was amazed at the call..and the results...hmmm the guy said I was THE guy in the know about bears..sheesh..I ALSO know PIZZA ..whiskey..and beer...

Cheers

Steven

Are you sure about the beer? I guess germany will tell that tale...