PDA

View Full Version : Washing a tent

moosehunter
05-22-2008, 02:41 PM
My old wall tent is showing its age. Dark mold and water stains mostly. Anyone know of a product and method to clean this?

BlacktailStalker
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
A mild dishwashing detergent and a brisk brush for dirt,
be sure to rinse well and dry before storing.
Mildew only comes from storing damp and you cant get it out.

bcsteve
05-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I asked the same question last year to Deluxe Wall Tents and Alpha Tent and Awning (the manufacturer of my tent) and these are the answers I got from them.

Deluxe Wall Tents:
"The safest way to clean a wall tent is to use a mild detergent like Ivory dish soap in warm water and a scrub brush. This will remove most stains and shouldn't affect your treatments.
Thanks, Perry"

Alpha Tent and Awning:
"To clean the tent you could use a mild soap and a soft brush. The coating will be affected a bit.
Sorry but I cannot advise regarding the re-treatment of the canvas"

Hope this helps

BDL
05-24-2008, 09:11 AM
The company I purchased my tent from said water and a brush only. Soap will remove the sunforger.

Stresd
05-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Rule #1 that was stressed over and over when I bought my 16x14 is to never, never, store the tent away with any moisture in or on it. Mild detergent and a brush with a complete drying before storage will kill the spores but most of the stain will remain. What the hey. Do you want pretty or functional.:wink:

Chuck
05-24-2008, 09:21 PM
The washing question is no problem, but how to tackle mould and waterproofing? There are commercial products available at Wally world. A pressurized spray for waterproofing canvas. Also available is a clear preservative which inhibits mould, but it gives off that offensive odor typical of canvas tarps and who wants to breathe that! In the old days a concoction was made from naptha white gas and parafin wax, then brushed on. Apparently this was tricky to do as the hot gas tended to explode. I guess that's why most people prefer nylon - maintenance free.

betteroffishing
05-24-2008, 09:38 PM
i thinkyou should sell me your OLD and DIRTY wall tent and i'll clean it good, so you dont need to worry about it and then you can buy yourself that new one with all the features you've been longing for, just a suggestion. no really pm me.

Hunterguy
05-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow can't believe you wouldn't look after an investment like that, first thing I do when back from a hunt is hang my 16 by 14 for two weeks, tent is 25 years old. Never a problem, Jones tent and awning. Have to be carefull with the cleaning agents, cuts down on the fireproofing and water resistance.