PDA

View Full Version : 8 yard bear

fireonethree
05-21-2008, 11:41 PM
So, Fester and I go out the other night and manage to spot five bears, and put a stalk on two of them. One busted us right away, and it was looking like another one of 'those' nights.

We started stalking this boar from about about 200 yards off, but he snuck off into the brush because a train passed near by. We used this opportunity to close the distance to where we thought he might come out, and figured we were about 50 yards from where we lost sight of him.

We were just whispering where we thought he might come out, and he ambles down a little slope 25 yards away. I immediately nock an arrow, and we freeze behind a great stand of dandelions. Yup, basically busted and caught off guard in the open. This bear looks at us and starts walking toward us slowly. I pull my bow to full draw and line up but he is only offering a quartering-to shot, so we waited. 25 yards became 20...then 15... then 10 yard, holding about thirty seconds now and thinking this has to happen soon or I'll have to let off.

Finally at 8 yards, after trying to wind us and figure out what we are, he decided to turn to his right, and opened his left flank to us.

I let loose, and the arrow passed through in blink of an eye. He let out a great bellow and scrambled five steps before tumbling down the bank, still.

The Muzzy broadhead sliced through both lungs and cleaned off the top of his heart in the fastest clean kill I have ever witnessed (other than head shots). It was amazingly fast. It was also my first animal with a bow.

I have finally harvested an animal with a bow, and it was a great experience. Now, if I could only get a bull to walk that same walk...:wink:

-FOT-
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/fireonethree/jeffarrowbear08008.jpg

interceptor
05-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Great read and great bear, Bowhunting is the best eh.

Cheers Noel

islandstalker
05-22-2008, 12:09 AM
wow up close and personal eh.

good job bud.

Steeleco
05-22-2008, 12:40 AM
You stick hunters are crazier than I'll ever be. Takes lots of nerve to do that. Well done.

hunter1947
05-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Very nice job ,congrats to both of you on this fine bear that you got ,very nice story as well.

fester
05-22-2008, 04:07 AM
I had to quote photo it is just too good.
FOT and myself and few other guys on here cut him up last night. He smells fantastic. As it is the first bow kill I have witnessed (excpet for small game... Thunderstix) I was surprised at how quickly he died and with how little trauma.

It was awesome and the pucker factor was high, very high.

Awesome shot FOT it was all you!!!!

So, Fester and I go out the other night and manage to spot five bears, and put a stalk on two of them. One busted us right away, and it was looking like another one of 'those' nights.

We started stalking this boar from about about 200 yards off, but he snuck off into the brush because a train passed near by. We used this opportunity to close the distance to where we thought he might come out, and figured we were about 50 yards from where we lost sight of him.

We were just whispering where we thought he might come out, and he ambles down a little slope 25 yards away. I immediately nock an arrow, and we freeze behind a great stand of dandelions. Yup, basically busted and caught off guard in the open. This bear looks at us and starts walking toward us slowly. I pull my bow to full draw and line up but he is only offering a quartering-to shot, so we waited. 25 yards became 20...then 15... then 10 yard, holding about thirty seconds now and thinking this has to happen soon or I'll have to let off.

Finally at 8 yards, after trying to wind us and figure out what we are, he decided to turn to his right, and opened his left flank to us.

I let loose, and the arrow passed through in blink of an eye. He let out a great bellow and scrambled five steps before tumbling down the bank, still.

The Muzzy broadhead sliced through both lungs and cleaned off the top of his heart in the fastest clean kill I have ever witnessed (other than head shots). It was amazingly fast. It was also my first animal with a bow.

I have finally harvested an animal with a bow, and it was a great experience. Now, if I could only get a bull to walk that same walk...:wink:

-FOT-
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/fireonethree/jeffarrowbear08008.jpg

model88
05-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Awesome, good job guys. Nothin like up close and personal.:cool:

Barracuda
05-22-2008, 04:50 AM
great story thanks for shareing it with us.

Bear with a pointy stick :eek::eek::eek:

ElectricDyck
05-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Wow congratulations! Good job on your first bow bear, nice looking bear too!

Blainer
05-22-2008, 06:38 AM
That's quite the story.
Sounds like you have some big b_lls,as I would be a little uncompfortable letting a bear walk up to within 8 yards.Did you're buddy pack a rifle?
Great story,good on ya.

sneg
05-22-2008, 07:30 AM
great story.that is quite some hunting.thanks for sharing

islandboy
05-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Impressive! :cool:

Bow Walker
05-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Good job FOT. Great shot - even with the "trembles". Excellent photo as well.

Elkhound
05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Had them up close with a rifle and you feel a lot more comfortable with that. Last year had one 10yrds away with the bow in my hands. A LOT more nerve racking for sure. You feel .......smaller:lol:

rifleman
05-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice Bear Congrats On Yer 1st Bow Kill!!!! Pretty Close To Let A Bear Get. Did You Have Back Up Or Can You Run Faster Than Yer Buddy??

Derp
05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Wow! what a tale n a half. Congrats on a job well done. I can't wait to arrow my first archery bear

fester
05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Had them up close with a rifle and you feel a lot more comfortable with that. Last year had one 10yrds away with the bow in my hands. A LOT more nerve racking for sure. You feel .......smaller:lol:

Hey Buddy

you do feel..... smaller!!

How is the LEM grinder treating you we gave mine a work out the other night!!

LeverActionJunkie
05-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Way to go man, that must have been a rush hey! The bears are really falling now:)

Dale
05-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, I would feel perfectly safe being concealed and protected behind a stand of dandelions, even without a rifle. Good job fireonethree, I had a good time helping butcher that big guy.

Archer
05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Great story, too bad all hunts can't end like that! Congrats on the first bowkill

The Hermit
05-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Excellent! Congrats. Yep when those broadheads pass thru leaving a wound channel 1 1/2 inches in diameter they bleed out really fast. My bear last year taken at 13 yards died in about 45 seconds, and the whitetail only went about thirty yards. Hooked on Bows!!!

TIKA 300
05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Thats a DAM nice lookin bear,nicer than the 3 i seen this weekend.Congrats on a fine kill TK

fester
05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, I would feel perfectly safe being concealed and protected behind a stand of dandelions, even without a rifle. Good job fireonethree, I had a good time helping butcher that big guy.

They were mighty big dandelions

Elkhound
05-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey Buddy

you do feel..... smaller!!

How is the LEM grinder treating you we gave mine a work out the other night!!

LEM is working better than I hoped. Already paid for itself I believe. LOL