PDA

View Full Version : LEH in 7-10

Comshel
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
My brother wants to put in for moose draw in 7-10, we've never been there and was wondering if there are any negatives about the area. My road maps shows signs of civilization but from Google Earth it looks like a decent area. Any input would be appreciated.

jml11
05-21-2008, 07:32 PM
There is some decent spots for moose there...biggest negative is that at peak times there are more hunters than moose....I stopped hunting there just for that reason. However, everyone I know who has had a moose draw in that M-U has filled their tag. Most M-Us around PG get a lot of pressure, good thing their are lots of moose!

Comshel
05-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Would you recommend a camp site in the area?

tinhorse
05-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Great area. Lots of moose especially during the rut.

jml11
05-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I've never camped in there, only day hunted from town. I've seen lots of camps in there, mostly in gravels pits and large pullouts along the Blackwater, Pelican and Mt. Mckenzie Roads, you should be able to find a spot. Just look for the meat poles to find an established camp. Can't give you exact locations, hopefully someone else can post something for you!

Comshel
05-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I've never camped in there, only day hunted from town. I've seen lots of camps in there, mostly in gravels pits and large pullouts along the Blackwater, Pelican and Mt. Mckenzie Roads, you should be able to find a spot. Just look for the meat poles to find an established camp. Can't give you exact locations, hopefully someone else can post something for you!

Yeh that's Ok I always prefer to hunt on our own but if we want to fill our tags I guess we'll have to hunt with the masses.

moosecaller
05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Anywhere along the 1400 road has some good camp spots. Shasta lake is a real nice area as well, I would recommend it. There are a lot of moose that come out of this area, but as previously mentioned lots of hunting pressure but it does produce.

Comshel
05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Anywhere along the 1400 road has some good camp spots. Shasta lake is a real nice area as well, I would recommend it. There are a lot of moose that come out of this area, but as previously mentioned lots of hunting pressure but it does produce.

Shasta lake it is, wouldn't mind a little fishing if rush hour gets to be too much. We're going to do our LEH on Saturday so it sounds like this the area to fill our tags. One other thing, I noticed there's a regular Elk season there also, is it worth a tag for that?

BCrams
05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Shesta Lake is close enough to PG, you can whip in and go to the pub any time you need a break.

Be prepared to camp elsewhere depending when you come up as the Shesta site is full with several different parties of hunters.

It is also right beside the Pelican mainline and traffic is insane, especially first thing in the morning when all the local moose hunters in PG head out.

If you hear distant shooting going on all the time, don't fret.......its only the PG Rod and Gun Club range which is 2 km east of the lake. :) At least you know you can sight in your gun if you drop it!

Quite a few deer kicking around and the odd elk.

moosinaround
05-22-2008, 01:49 AM
There is a little swamp at 24ishkm on the TFL rd. Punchaw Lake has a forest service rec site with pit toilets. Mackenzie lake forest service rec sites, with Pit toilets. Nice gravel pits around 14-18ish km on the Blackwater rd. Some real nice spots along the Fraser river, off of the North end of the Tako Rd in Weldwoods TFL. Shesta Lake at 8km on the Pelican FSR, and a Nice spot on the Chilako River at 23km on the Pelican FSR, but it is on the east Boundary of 7-11, cross the bridge and it is 7-10. It is a busy area that is for sure, but you WILL see moose, mule deer and Whitetails. You may even see elk, which are open for 6 point or better. Get off the beaten path and use the two wheel drive god gave you and you will fair very well. Remember there are atv restrictions in 7-10 so read the regs. If you have any more ?'s give me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out. Moosin

moosecaller
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Find an area with good sign, and hunt it don't try to hunt the entire MU stick to a smaller area and beat the heck out of it. Be dedicated to it and you will score, patience will pay off. Lots of moose come out of this MU and you just need to put in the time.

Vansmasher
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
My brother wants to put in for moose draw in 7-10, we've never been there and was wondering if there are any negatives about the area. My road maps shows signs of civilization but from Google Earth it looks like a decent area. Any input would be appreciated.
I personally would not recommend 7-10, due to the extreme hunting pressure along with the fairly heavy logging activity. Especially if you're travelling a long distance, it sure is nice to get away from the crowds. Also... its not a huge MU for the pressure it gets.
I would recommend MU 6-1, about an hour south of Vanderhoof, there are many more roads and much more recent logging, and overall more moose! Its further away from civilization, needless to say the further you go the better the hunting. If you're really keen you'll head way up north where there is no LEH, its just general open bull.