PDA

View Full Version : long weekend bear hunting and camping

sneg
05-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Last weekend went camping / hunting trip .Camped with family and friends at hot springs. Good, but it was little crowded. On right from us was group of young yahoos with 3 dogs. I think they have had a little too much booze. They kept loud music , screaming ,shouting at each other well past midnight. I rolled down window on my pathfinder and pop CD with coyote calls for couple minutes.. Wow . That was a hit. Dog immediately started howling, barking and stuff. It was like a zoo. These guys shut down music and wonder with flashlights around what is happening. One of them come up with idea that it is wolf in the bushes and it may attack them and dogs. I think they were trying to stay vigilant till morning. May be it was immature on my part, but we all had good laugh before sleep.

Sunday I went road hunting with buddy. Saw quite few bears. Seems now they are moving around. I have spotted this guy about 80 yards down hill . Bear run between trees from my right to left and slightly quartering away. Trees obscured a shot. Till he pass clear line of sight abt 120 yards away. Bang. Bullet come thru lungs, enter behind left shoulder blade and exit forward of right . Bear run couple yards and dropped on side of the creek. Almost perfect spot for skinning and cleaning. Remington 700, 30-06, bullet Win silver tip,180 gr. I think it was a little heavy. Any comments ?
In hour or so we continue on the road and two miles down spotted another bear uphill abt 60 yards. My partner got him broadside straight thru lungs. Bear run 15 yards and dropped dead. It was easy, we just had to roll bear down hill. Finish skinning, cleaning, drop off and on my way to campsite.

When arrive to hot springs camp I learned that bear was wondering on camp last day. Bear ate almost all food of yahoos on right and huge bowl of freshly cooked stew from big party on left. People made a lot of pictures. I think some people have no idea how to handle food in bear country. On early Monday morning we are relaxing in hot tube and having cold one. Suddenly nice 5 ft bruin emerge from bushes and goes directly toward us. It was a moment of excitement. Than we try to scare bear by throwing empty beer can and making all sorts of noises. He just gave a look like saying” what is your problem? I m not beer drinker.” So, for couple minutes we ended up relaxing in hot tube ,while bear was grassing 3-5 yards away. I wish we had a camera. Than ,guess where bear went. Yeah ,he walk to yahoos camp and make brawls with dogs. While chasing one of the dogs, bear smashed into tent with people inside. Growl, barking, screaming… After all settled down, first time I have seen someone takes camp down that quickly and takes off. So, everybody had something to talk about. It was really nice trip. Sorry for long story, I just want to share .Think it was funny in the way.

kishman
05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Nice looking Bear, congrats.

Untouchable
05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Right on! Great looking bear, and he sure died in a beauty spot. Thats funny that the bear came so close to you guys in the hot springs, guess he had become acclimatized with eating trash people leave out. Hopefully someone lets the air out of that guy before he hurts a kid or something. Thanks for the story!

Phil
05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice looking bear.That was a great story, it made me chuckle. I love the way you roll with the punches.

lineofsight
05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Good use of call, not immature at all, they were having fun, you were having fun and a much better solution than ones I can think of to get some quiet.

Was this the meagre creek area?

Mr. Dean
05-21-2008, 03:36 PM
That pic beats most. C'grats

LeverActionJunkie
05-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Congratulations sounds like a good time :)

sneg
05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
thanks for comments

Archer
05-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Sounds like a great time! Nice pic of a nice bear.

hunter1947
05-22-2008, 04:00 AM
Good going on the bear Sneg.

Barracuda
05-22-2008, 04:10 AM
nice looking bear, good to see the bears are out in force now:razz:

sneg
05-22-2008, 07:25 AM
That campground is on IR land,so no hunting. There are lot of bears around,but first time I see it on camp. I was surprised to see that bears can adapt that quickly once they try campers' food or trash. Do you think bears understand who is dangerous for them and who is not ? Couple weeks ago one bear came on the road abt 70 yards in front of my car. I stepped out and kneel with rifle on lap.Bear immediately smell and seen me,but continue to move toward me. He was wondering on road for couple minutes giving me glances. But when I mount rifle he just jump like crazy and run into bushes. I had feeling that bear understand what kind of stick was in my hands. Smart creatures.

Bow Walker
05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Nice looking bear - ther's goin to be a bunch in the HBC Bear contest this year.

johnes50
05-22-2008, 01:55 PM
That was a good story. Lots of fun watching the Yahoos freak out forom the coyote calls and bear visits. Plus you got your two bears. Too bad you didn't video the whole thing, it would make a great movie.

twoSevenO
05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
nice bear ... good photo as well, with the nice green colors and the creek in the background.

Gongrats :)