PDA

View Full Version : Cuttin' your own meat

Bailer
05-20-2008, 09:46 PM
So long story short, I thought I saw the big 300 pnder I saw the previous day, so I put a 180 grain between its eyes, but it turned out to be a small 150 pounder. I blame the adrenaline:p My dad's not huge into bear hunting, so he'll only pay for this ones meat. I still wanna go get the big one, and I dont have 150$ to spend on meat still, so any tips on cutting my own meat? I've watched the videos, and am debating on buying a grinder. Any tips would be appreciated! thanks

Also, I am in grage 11, and am taking a guide training camp this summer, and am thinking about hunting/fishing/horse camping guiding. Anyone who has guided or knows anything I'd love to here your advide/experiences!

05-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Bailer,
I have been hunting for 30 yrs. now. I have and will continue to cut my own game meat. The only time we don't is when we have one of those larger trips with several moose, elk, deer, bear or combinations that make it to much work. We cut all steaks, roasts, chops etc. bone free and fat free when posible as these areas just create a stronger taste some don't care for. Many butchers that do game refuse to cut meat with out bone in because of the work involved. We have followed old meat cuting guide books or articles. I usually just follow muscle lines, make some roasts and if you don't want that you can make them into steaks come cooking time. Smaller trim pieces are kept seperate and made into burger or sausage, of which we do many different types. Save your self some money for the next trip and cut it your self!
Buy freezer paper from the local butcher shop in large rolls or vac pack it.
Label it correctly with speicies, cut and date.
Go for it!
C/T

Mr. Dean
05-21-2008, 01:11 AM
You have the knowledge.... JUST DO IT!

You can rent grinders. See Stuffers in Langley.

hunter1947
05-21-2008, 03:09 AM
Just get a chart on the cuts on butchering ,it is no big deal to cut up your animal ,50% of it will be scrap anyways ,Don't be afraid of jumping into it ,you know the saying JUST DO IT.

Steeleco
05-21-2008, 08:00 AM
When I got the nerve to do my first, I went in with a little knowledge and the thought that at the very worst, I have a ton of ground!!!

When I do a bear these days, the front half gets cut and striped into non descript pieces and frozen into 5lb lots. (Future Sausage) The back half steaks on or roasts as much as possible.

ryanb
05-21-2008, 09:10 AM
There's nothing hard about cutting your own. I have now butchered 4 animals, with no more knowledge than a diagram of which cuts are where. Do my steaks look as nice and neat as ones from the butcher? no. Does it matter (to me)? Definately not.

It is a little bit time consuming, but it's really the only option because I just don't trust meat cutters anymore. Is what you are getting back actually the animal you shot? Did they take good care of the meat before processing? Did they rip you off?

Too bad for some of the good butchers, but the bad apples really ruin it for them.

Rock Doctor
05-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Just get a chart on the cuts on butchering ,it is no big deal to cut up your animal ,50% of it will be scrap anyways ,Don't be afraid of jumping into it ,you know the saying JUST DO IT.

x2,
There is no "rocket science" to cutting meat.:wink:

Bailer
05-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks alot guys, Im lookin' forward to try it. Another step to being self sufficient!

Mr. Dean
05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
You gettin it.

Angel
05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Bailer,
I have been hunting for 30 yrs. now. I have and will continue to cut my own game meat. The only time we don't is when we have one of those larger trips with several moose, elk, deer, bear or combinations that make it to much work. We cut all steaks, roasts, chops etc. bone free and fat free when posible as these areas just create a stronger taste some don't care for. Many butchers that do game refuse to cut meat with out bone in because of the work involved. We have followed old meat cuting guide books or articles. I usually just follow muscle lines, make some roasts and if you don't want that you can make them into steaks come cooking time. Smaller trim pieces are kept seperate and made into burger or sausage, of which we do many different types. Save your self some money for the next trip and cut it your self!
Buy freezer paper from the local butcher shop in large rolls or vac pack it.
Label it correctly with speicies, cut and date.
Go for it!
C/T

I couldnt agree more. my dad taught me, my fiance. we would never take our meat to anyone else. Its really not that hard, you will learn fast.

Bow Walker
05-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Only rule to follow is to cut your steaks across the grain - not with it. Other than that it gets easier and easier.

Barracuda
05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Cut and grind away , just keep track of where the cuts are from .best way to findout is to just start doing:grin:

bosch
05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I bought a really good grinder on E-bay called the Sam Bauer unit, 1.6 HP, paid 130.00 for it, works awesome, there is a u-tube video attached to the ad showing how it works on a whole chicken, bones and all, I have made my own sausages and ground with it and it truly is a great unit. Something close to it would sell for 5-600 dollars, there were lots for auction so check it out. Hunter1947 and me have butchered everything from moose to elk to deer and have always been happy with the outcome, always happier than when we have had it butchered. We have actually been very dis-satisfied with several butchers feeling we have been ripped off before, but when you do it yourself, you know what you get.Good luck!!

Barracuda
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I killed the gears in mine cutting the very last sinuey bits that i was gonna use for the dog food so I guess i will be looking for a new one:lol:

srupp
05-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I dont mind demonstrating deboning a deer and making various cuts of steaks and how to on roasts..it must fit into my schedule during hunting season..good idea to bring a video camera...done this for 10-15 hunters over the years...all seemed to like the "course"..the sausage course is not offered at this time...lol...

Steven

The Dawg
05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I have it good this year....a buddy that is new to the area is a certified butcher. So, I show him some areas for hunting, he teaches me how to butcher :mrgreen:

steveo32
05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
As a hunting guide of going on 5 years i would suggest getting ahold of some outfits before you get out of school and have them teach you instead of paying some one to let you work for them ;) I am assuming you are heading to chilcoten holidays?

Anyways send me a pm and i will let you knwo how i got into the guiding industry, I had no horse expirence but tonnes of bush expirence, But from what i have heard outfitters would rather teach you "there" ways of doing things.

Anyways good luck with the meat cutting it will get much easier:D

Cedarstrip
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm new to this as well, but if you can find someone with even a bit of experience (thanks Bro), you'll learn quickly that it' s not rocket science as mentioned before.
Very gratifying to take your animal through every step from 'stalk to steak'.
At the very worst you'll end up with a lot of ground-round.