PDA

View Full Version : Bear caping, how much time do I have?

longhairmtnman
05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I"ve never caped before. How much time do I have to get it to a taxidermist? Just got it last night. Feet and head still on. What is the cost of a rug for a 4' er? Any lowermainland taxidermist recommendations?
appreciate input.

KodiakHntr
05-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Stuff it in the freezer and let the taxidermist do it. Rug depends, but run about $100 - $120 per linear foot nose to tail.

Blainer
05-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Ganders taxidermy in Surrey does all my work.They can skin the head a paws for a small fee.
Google there name and check there website.

lip_ripper00
05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Montana, get a hold of Mainland hunter on this site, Hes in Abby and have heard nothing but good about his work, did I miss the pictures?:biggrin:

pupper
05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
another vote for heads above the rest for taxidermist work. As for the cape, get it into the freezer asap and make sure the paws and head are not bundled in the fur because the fur can insulate the paws from freezing quickly if they are tucked into the hide. here is an article for next time: http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Field_Preparation_for_A_Bear_Skin_Rug

Mr. Dean
05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
x3 for Heads Above and DO toss it in a freezer ASAP, unwrapped with the head not being burried under the hide.

longhairmtnman
05-20-2008, 10:17 PM
There is no way in hell the wife is letting me put it in her freezer un-bagged. :smile: I did leave the head/paws loose. I've called around a bit and have been quoted between 190-240 bucks per ft. plus around 140 for doing the head/feet. Thinking about tanning it now.

longhairmtnman
05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Montana, get a hold of Mainland hunter on this site, Hes in Abby and have heard nothing but good about his work, did I miss the pictures?:biggrin:

Nope you didn't. Was quite late when we located it, so no field pics. although I have some from back at camp I'll post later. Not big but I wanted to get my first bear and decided to make this the one, as I may not get another chance this season.

wetcoastwillie
05-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Montana, get a hold of Mainland hunter on this site, Hes in Abby and have heard nothing but good about his work, did I miss the pictures?

I got pic's...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/montana.JPG

:eek:

Barracuda
05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I just dont know what to say about that :shock:

Gateholio
05-24-2008, 12:51 AM
heads ABove the Rest taxidermist...

Good guy, good work...

longhairmtnman
05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I got pic's...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/montana.JPG

:eek:

You are the man!:biggrin:

BiG Boar
05-27-2008, 09:47 AM
If you take it to ganders in surrey, which I would recomend...they want the hide salted (table salt, 25 lbs of it) (salt sets the hair in the skin?) immediatley and cooled, then frozen if you cant bring it in right away. Its 200 a linear foot plus skinning out the head a paws. Another estimated $115. $120 to boil and bleach the skull. I would just have it tanned if anything. 4 foot bear is pretty small. You probably got a second tag. Save the cost for a biggun. Are you sure it wasn't a black lab that you bagged? LOL...