PDA

View Full Version : 2 Nice bears in 10 seconds!!

wapiti
05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/hunting_morice.jpg

My wife and I recently got back from the Smithers area...had been up there bear hunting.
She took 2 good bears in quick succession...she was hunting by herself, watching a grassy opening when the first bear came into view. She shot it at 70 yards with her .338 Federal. The bear rolled down the hill. She reloaded and started walking towards it when the second bear came out of the bush, and ran right at her. Thinking it was the first bear, wounded and on the charge, she shot it "again". When I got there, there were two very dead bears...one on top of the hill, the other on the bottom:-D.

Good thing she had two tags!!

Mr. Dean
05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
WOW!
The one on her right, seems to have a good noodle.

Never carried two tags myself. Never thought of a reason why... This changes things.

newhunterette
05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
wow, that's crazy

congratulations to ur wife - wooohooooooooooooo cheers lady hunters

todbartell
05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
the deadly 338F strikes! :mrgreen: congrats to your wife

rishu_pepper
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
the deadly 338F strikes! :mrgreen: congrats to your wife

So someone bagged a bear with the 338 Fed before you, TB :biggrin: When is it your turn?

Congrats on the TWO bears, I can't even get one in the last 3 weekends I've been out... :(

wapiti
05-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks, everyone-she was pretty stoked about it. It was her first bear hunt...very exciting. All the years I've hunted bears, I have never had a black come at me like that.

[quote=Mr. Dean;285145]

Yes, the one on her right had quite a wide head. We took both bears in to the taxidermist in Smithers, and he figured that it might make the book. It was quite an old bear, judging by its teeth. They were both 6 footers and body-size wise were very similar. Funny how different the heads were...

mcrae
05-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I always carry two tags just for such occasions LOL... Congrats to your wife as well...

wapiti
05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Another pic, a bit bigger this time!:-)

Phil
05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
WOW!

I can't see his noodle but he sure has a big head:wink:.

Congrats to your wife on the excellent shooting!

Mr. Dean
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Wapiti;
Was the one on her left, a sow?

Just curious... Testing a theory.

LeverActionJunkie
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Congratulations! Nice bears.

Elkhound
05-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Awesome. Congrats to the wife. Hmmmmmm need to start carrying two tags too I guess

wapiti
05-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Wapiti;

I thinks I might know the theory you are testing:wink:...and you got it figured right, I think. They were both boars, BUT while we were there skinning them a much smaller bear turned up and would not leave. We had to fire shots off into the air before it buggered off-I think that was a female, and the two boars my wife shot were in the vicinity "looking for love":p. Poor lovesick bears!!!

hunter1947
05-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Wapiti it is a good thing that your wife is a good shot. The two bears must have been fighting over a sow or the territory. Congrats to you and your wife on two fine looking bears.

boxhitch
05-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Wapiti;

My thoughts also.
Glad it worked out for the better. Good on the huntress.

sneg
05-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Congrats to your wife.good going

Steeleco
05-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Congrats indeed, 2 in 10 seconds #$%%$ @#$%$#% Some peoples wives!!!! :lol::lol:

Mr. Dean
05-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I thinks I might know the theory you are testing:wink:...and you got it figured right, I think. They were both boars, BUT while we were there skinning them a much smaller bear turned up and would not leave. We had to fire shots off into the air before it buggered off-I think that was a female, and the two boars my wife shot were in the vicinity "looking for love":p. Poor lovesick bears!!!

Nope. Different theory.
But yours is interesting also.

Good shooting and fine nerves.... Good catch (the wife), she's a keeper. :redface:

Rock Doctor
05-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Couple of fine looking bears there.
Should make a pile of pepperoni:smile:
Congrats to the hunter.

Orangethunder
05-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Wow, thats quite a story! Congrats on the double bears.

BiG Boar
05-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Your wife is much better looking than either of those ugly beasts. Good job for her. Who gutted them?

Bow Walker
05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Yup - she's a keeper alright - so are the bears......

Derp
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
wawwwaweewa! great bruins and great timing!

wapiti
05-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks, all!! She is very happy with the results of the hunt...can't wait to get the skulls and rugs back from the taxidermist!

Your wife is much better looking than either of those ugly beasts. Good job for her. Who gutted them?

Yeah, she is a cutie...even if I say so myself!!;-)
We both gutted and skinned the bears. I figure she did a better job than I did...took her time and never nicked the skin.
It was a bit of an ordeal because it was getting near evening when she got them. There was a dirt road about 300 yards downhill of where the top bear was, and I drove the truck in there. We were able to drag the bears down to the truck on a tarp, but they were too heavy to lift into the truck whole, so we had to gut and skin them by the side of the road, using a lantern and head torch for light. Finished the job about midnight and got back to camp 20 minutes later. It was quite the experience! Never had to skin a critter at night before.