PDA

View Full Version : Stalked a giant griz!

kgriz
05-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I guess they don't get that big being stupid. On Sunday my uncle and I fought our way into my honey hole against the highest water levels we've ever seen in the area and snow. We ended up walking about 7km after the quads could go no farther and the very first time we put the binos onto my favorite slide I saw a HUGE boar griz in the middle of it. I left my Uncle at the bottom to spot for me and I went up. I followed his huge prints up an old trail in the snow ( about 9-9.5 inch front pads in the snow, not melted out!) and then left the tracks to go up and around. When I got to where he had been an hour since leaving my Uncle, he was gone. Uncle signaled that he didn't see where he went so I found his tracks and proceeded to track him for about 300m step by step through the thick regen. He was only a little ahead as I could still smell him. The tracks got hard to follow so I tried to circle ahead and cut him off but he gave me the slip! Next weekend we intend to go in at night with uncle sitting at the bottom and I'll use my headlamp and gps to get me in position for first light....its the only green for 20km I'm sure he'll show, then there should be some good pics! I made the rookie mistake of forgetting my cover scent, that'll never happen again:evil:

BlacktailStalker
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Right on, hope you connect !
Hunts are always the best when there's preceeding events leading up to the final stalk, sure gets ya pumped!

mikey
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
awsome story, hopfully next weekend you'll have some pics to show. good luck, mike

hotload
05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Can't wait for the continuing saga, sounds tooooo coooool.

Blainer
05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Great stuff.
What an adventure to sneak in under the cover of dark in search of a monster Grizzley.I would have my finger on the safety,actually,I would want a hunting partner along,which would be beneficial for the pack out.
Good luck.

kgriz
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Uncle will be at the bottom spotting for me........I recognize the benefit of 2 guns but 2 people is also twice the noise and twice the scent. Normally I wouldn't worry about it that much but this seems to be an extra wiley big old boar. Also, although my uncle does great, if I have to move a long ways fast, I can't afford to be slowed down or second-guessed. Hopefully it works out.

rifleman
05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
very exciting story. can't wait to hear how yer next outing goes!!
you should get a camera guy to film your stalk!!

oddsix
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
wow, im excited to see these pics

killman
05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I here bacon cover scent works well. Good luck with the stalk, sounds way to exciting for me :eek:.

popcan
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Stay smart though... if he's as wily as you think.....

BCrams
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Pretty exciting!! Hope you get him.

kgriz
05-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everybody..........
I'm planning on treading very quietly and carry a very large stick:mrgreen:

Mik
05-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Going in alone, with a light, on such a huge grizz???
Can't wait to see the pics, good luck and Be-Careful.

hunter1947
05-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Yes you are right on saying that this boar will be there next weekend ,chances are good for sure ,I hope you get your Griz ,good luck.

kgriz
05-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Reading through this I realize how stupid the "in the dark" part sounds but I've chased 3 griz in this exact spot now and they have all sensed me and snuck away.........To creep in under darkness and wait him out seems to be the only way I'll have a chance. If I wear a lot of cover scent and hide well I doubt he'll detect me. I might not go to this extent if he wasn't so freakin huge. His tracks were like nothing I've ever come across and he was jet black in the sun with legs that looked 4 ft long. Hopefully I'll have the stones to follow through with my plan next friday, I guess I'll see when its crunch time. Hopefully my next post will be wicked pictures.

boxhitch
05-21-2008, 06:49 AM
If your cover scent is anythin foreign to the area, it will alarm them. Don't count on a cover working for you.
Use the wind, or maybe set up where you know he travels to, instead of trying to move toward him.
either way, good luck.